To sledge or not to sledge?

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

To sledge or not to sledge?

Postby redandblack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:31 pm

By redandblack (yes, I'm on a roll) :)

I’ve played a bit of cricket. Probably as much as almost anyone on here and I’ve even played against MAL. I state this merely to establish that I’ve played across the decades where the game transitioned from respecting your opponents to sledging them wherever possible. To show how out of touch I was, I can honestly say I rarely sledged an opponent and was rarely sledged in return. As a frequent captain and coach, I can say that my teams also rarely sledged opponents and they also knew their spot in the team was in jeopardy if they didn’t respect the umpire’s decision.

I’m obviously retired from playing cricket now and it’s probably just as well, as those principles probably wouldn’t survive in today’s cricket environment. While they were being applied, it surprisingly didn’t seem to affect our success rate at all. This remained pretty healthy.

The catalyst for this sermon was a discussion on 5AA about sledging. I have to say that I’m not a big fan of Chris McDermott, although I’m sure he has many and I certainly admired the way he played footy. His argument, strongly put and shared by many, was that the Australian cricket team had lost its ‘mojo’. That is, it was losing because they were too restrained by politeness and Australia played better when it sledged the opposition mercilessly. The proof of this was the result in the Perth test.

Now, given my first paragraph, you would understand that I didn’t agree with this. I had a strange theory that we used to win all the time because we had Hayden, Langer, Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, etc, etc. My theory is that we were now losing because we didn’t have Hayden, Langer, Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, etc, etc.

There’s no way of proving who is right with this, although my theory says that the players I’ve mentioned could afford to sledge, because their skill was superior to the opposition. Besides, I was (strangely) overlooked when they were picking the Australian Test teams, so I rightly felt constrained to keep my theories to myself.

I have a question, though, Chris. You say Australia rediscovered their ‘mojo’ in Perth by deciding to get back to what works – ‘in your face’ sledging. Presumably they were then emboldened to continue this in Melbourne. What happened, mate?

Perhaps they just weren’t as good as the opposition. Perhaps sledging hasn’t got anything to do with it.

I hasten to finish by sharing the good side of on-field banter. My favourite was when my team were being destroyed by a very good, very, very quick opposition fast bowler. Our number 11 walked to the wicket at a score of something like 9/55 or thereabouts, to be welcomed by the fast bowler with words to the effect that our number 11’s visit would be extremely short. I would have kept quiet in such circumstances, but our number 11 wasn’t short of a word. His quick rejoinder was to raise his bat and tell the bowler “I'll let my bat do the talking”.

He was bowled, shouldering arms, next ball. :D

I said I was rarely sledged, because I actually was in my last game. I was ‘filling in’, as you do, in a B Grade game, batting 11 and somewhat out of my depth at that stage, being just slightly over my best playing weight and just slightly (a decade or so) older than the next oldest player.

I took guard, whereupon one of the closer fielders immediately quipped “Hello, Dr W G Grace”.

My reply was to advise him that he was obviously referring to my ability, not my weight or age.

Unfortunately, I thought of that reply about 48 hours later. All I did at the time was to share the joke and proceed to be caught behind soon after for not many. Well, not any, actually. :(
redandblack

Re: To sledge or not to sledge?

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Im currently captaining an A Grade cricket side where half the side are 15-18 year olds they have struggled to win games over the last couple of seasons and the only sort of entertainment they were having was who could best sledge the oppostion.

Myself and a couple of ex players have come back to play this season and couldnt believe some of the comments our lads were making towards batsmen both personal and on ability.

We have now started to win games so some of the young lads have seen this as an oppurtunity to really drop the knee in.

We have now made a team pact that we will not sledge for the rest of the season.

Reasons

-Sledging only adds pressure on your own performance
-wasted energy, use this energy to praise our own effort
-makes lots of batsmen more determined and gives them more reason to focus
-generally whatever you are saying the batsmen generally know anyway
-not many batsmen are going to sacrifise their innings and play a stupid shot because you are bored
-we have not achieved anything in the game mid season, KARMA people.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby CK » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 pm

A good read, R&B :) .

I played in the country from 1994 through to 2003, same league throughout, so knew a lot of my opponents pretty well, having also worked in the area throughout in a reasonably prominent local business where I had daily contact with many.

I was never a big fan of sledging out there, but did hear some good ones over the years which made me chuckle. Wish I could remember many of them, but personally, felt that a lot of time could be spent in thinking something up rather than concentrating on the game at hand. I did cop a few when I was one of the two football writers in the main Hills newspaper, a role I held at the same time as coaching one of the clubs in the league, although many were fairly basic stuff. The bloke who yelled over the fence one day about "Why don't you write about how s*it you blokes are playing right now" possibly wasn't ready for "I might write about the drop in standards for admission instead", which got a pretty fair response from his own supporters :) .

Most people who know me well, will know that I don't back down from things if necessary and have no issue at all in tackling people that spray off at me, so it was remarkable how people changed from bravado when on one side of the fence during a game, compared to when I would wander up to them post game in the clubrooms and ask them to elaborate on a comment they may have thrown over the fence :)
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:41 pm

I've never understood why sledging was supposed to work.
I assume some people have to work themselves up to do their best and some can be put off their game by abuse.
I always went out to win, and concentrated totally on the ball, while trying to give a cheerful and lazy impression to the opposition when not in the play, so I'd slip under their guard.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Psyber wrote:I've never understood why sledging was supposed to work.
I assume some people have to work themselves up to do their best and some can be put off their game by abuse.
I always went out to win, and concentrated totally on the ball, while trying to give a cheerful and lazy impression to the opposition when not in the play, so I'd slip under their guard.

Steve Waugh renamed it mental disintegration an he has a point. Cricket is a mental game and breaking down the opponent mentally often has you wining the battle it makes a bowler drop his bundle and confidence loss follows. Batsmen perhaps over try things to prove the fielders wrong and come unstuck. Matthew Hayden summed this topic up beautifully in his his book which I am currently reading. I think it was Dean Jones somehow got hold of their notes compiled by then Coach John Buchanan. Queensland's plan was to place fielders in the cover region and place the ball there and tell Jones to hit it there. On past experience this would normally get Deano out. Not on this occasion as Jones knew their plan tell him to hit through there and simply refused.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
Psyber wrote:I've never understood why sledging was supposed to work.

Steve Waugh renamed it mental disintegration an he has a point. Cricket is a mental game and breaking down the opponent mentally often has you wining the battle it makes a bowler drop his bundle and confidence loss follows. Batsmen perhaps over try things to prove the fielders wrong and come unstuck. Matthew Hayden summed this topic up beautifully in his his book which I am currently reading. I think it was Dean Jones somehow got hold of their notes compiled by then Coach John Buchanan. Queensland's plan was to place fielders in the cover region and place the ball there and tell Jones to hit it there. On past experience this would normally get Deano out. Not on this occasion as Jones knew their plan tell him to hit through there and simply refused.

thats where i slightly disagree, any batsmen who is batting to prove the fielders wrong is probably going to get out shortly anyway as their objective is totally misguided.

its like when a team is 0/30 after 20 overs and fielders are sledging with the 'he needs to play a big shot soon', 'he's wasting their overs' etc etc, the batsmen already knows this situation he is not going to play a big shot because you told him he needs to. He will play a big shot because thats what his team need him to do.

I think the whole sledging thing is massively over rated.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Moe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:56 pm

I have always found that sledging is a form of sarcasm, and with sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, I have always steered clear of sledging.
I suppose my ability as a number 11 where my captains would often declare at 9/, despite the scoreline might have something to do with it :roll:

What i did enjoy though was when fielding & we were struggling for enthusiasm during a long hot day was offer plenty of "advice" to my own team mates.
This often happened after i had dropped a sitter, let one through my legs for 4 or mistime my footwork and wear a ball in the chest/head/ballbag areas :(
You would be suprised how off putting it is for the batsman when 1 bloke is the brunt of 10 of his team mates + the small crowd's (cacking themselves laughing) jokes.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Tubby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 am

Moe wrote:I have always found that sledging is a form of sarcasm, and with sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, I have always steered clear of sledging.
I suppose my ability as a number 11 where my captains would often declare at 9/, despite the scoreline might have something to do with it :roll:

What i did enjoy though was when fielding & we were struggling for enthusiasm during a long hot day was offer plenty of "advice" to my own team mates.
This often happened after i had dropped a sitter, let one through my legs for 4 or mistime my footwork and wear a ball in the chest/head/ballbag areas :(
You would be suprised how off putting it is for the batsman when 1 bloke is the brunt of 10 of his team mates + the small crowd's (cacking themselves laughing) jokes.

Moe, we wouldn't declare at 9/ 63, oh hang on, yes we would :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues