Time to make a stand on racial abuse

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 24, 2011 10:20 am

By Rob McLean

I don’t need to have walked in another person’s shoes to know that using racial epithets to sledge anyone is one of most disgraceful acts a person could ever commit, on the sporting field or otherwise.

The weekend just past saw the AFL Indigenous Round held and it seems worthwhile commenting on the fact that racial taunts are seemingly still part of the language of the outer.

Recently we had the high profile situation in Tasmania where Hawthorn’s Lance Franklin was racially abused by a spectator.

In the lead up to last weekend’s round, SA based AFL players Danyle Pearce and Daniel Motlop claimed they had been racially taunted whilst playing for their SANFL clubs.

Port Adelaide Norm Smith Medallist Byron Pickett also told of being verballed during his time with North Melbourne.

All of this paints a pretty negative picture of Australian rules supporters.

Among other sports, the NRL has also had its problems in this area. No sport is clean in this regards.

While it shouldn’t be assumed this sort of thing is part of the norm, the mentality of the supporters who make these comments astounds me.

Today we are better educated about the Aboriginal community and, in fact, that any sort of race based abuse is inappropriate.

While some may argue we have become too politically correct and that left wing sympathisers jump too quickly to throw the racist tag, that does not negate the fact that racial slurs are disgustingly outdated and should be left in the past.

With more awareness today, those with outdated views of what is and isn’t acceptable would be aware of how the rest of the community views such abuse.

Growing up in the rough and tumble northern suburbs of Adelaide, I was good mates with an Aboriginal lad.

Our interests in footy merged, meaning we had enough in common to ensure a friendship. My friend’s father is a highly respected member of the Aboriginal community.

Through this friendship, I learnt about Aboriginal people and never felt they were any different to me. Not enough that I would want to insult them based on their race, anyway.

Nor would I feel the need to abuse an Italian, Croat or Vietnamese person based upon their heritage.

I can also remember a time in the late 1980s when the Central District Football Club had a side featuring Gilbert McAdam, Derek Kickett and Phil Graham all playing together.

So what tells people who issue these racist slurs at the footy, a very public place, that it is okay to do so? And what must those sitting near them and hearing such awful words think of them? Do they speak up? Would I speak up if I was nearby? I hope that I would.

Granted, not everyone who goes to the footy would have had the intense friendship that I shared in my developing years.

However, anyone who has played football for long enough would have been a team-mate of an Aboriginal player. And anyone who has supported the game for even a short time would have marvelled at the skills of an Aboriginal footballer.

If I spat out some vitriol at a footballer based on race, I would be spitting upon the honour and integrity of my team-mates, who have been part of my club and worn the same guernsey, giving their all for the cause alongside of me.

Sadly, this sort of abuse even occurs at the grassroots level, with one country South Australian football league forced to take a stand against racism last week.

The fact this sort of denigration continues on our sporting fields shows that as a society, we still have a way to go in regards to respecting each other and our differences.

Our footballers have shared their hurt at hearing such abuse, maybe it’s time those of us in the outer stood up in support of them if we hear such disgraceful comments.

As the old saying goes, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

First appeared at www.theroar.com.au
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Time to make a stand on racial abuse

Postby redandblack » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Excellent article, DW.

I'm with you in totally supporting SA Footy's strong stand against racism on our site.
redandblack

Postby Media Park » Fri May 27, 2011 6:36 am

Very good article DW. Agree totally.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Magpiespower » Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 am

I remember one day our captain/coach having a crack at a young Aboriginal player after some minor incident.

Made a point of repeatedly calling him an "indigenous Australian."

Went on and on and on and ended up being more offensive than calling him a worse name.

Annoyed his players, the opposition, umpires and of course, the young kid. But technically, he hadn't said anything untoward. Worked himself into such a frenzy, we couldn't get him to shut-up.

Anyway, it stopped early in the last quarter when an opposition player's elbow broke his jaw in three places.

Nobody ran in to remonstrate...
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby beef » Fri May 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Magpiespower wrote:I remember one day our captain/coach having a crack at a young Aboriginal player after some minor incident.

Made a point of repeatedly calling him an "indigenous Australian."

Went on and on and on and ended up being more offensive than calling him a worse name.

Annoyed his players, the opposition, umpires and of course, the young kid. But technically, he hadn't said anything untoward. Worked himself into such a frenzy, we couldn't get him to shut-up.

Anyway, it stopped early in the last quarter when an opposition player's elbow broke his jaw in three places.

Nobody ran in to remonstrate...

That player wouldnt happen to be a former hard as nails triple b&f (when he gave the votes himself)
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 256 times

Postby Magpiespower » Tue May 31, 2011 9:45 am

beef wrote:That player wouldnt happen to be a former hard as nails triple b&f (when he gave the votes himself)

Gave himself B.O.G. that day, too!

:lol:
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues