Purely Amateur: All Hands On Deck

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 am

by SAFooty's Quichey

As a player it's easy to take for granted the existence of your football club that provides you with everything from an avenue to keep fit to the source of life's best memories.

Clean showers, tidy changerooms, hot meals and cold beers are simple pleasures that we don't think twice about, but behind their existence is a volunteer who takes time out of their own busy life to give something to the club they love and to the footballers who pull on the guernsey.

These are the very people who run the barbecues, canteens, bars, raffles and sponsorship drives, which provide a source of funding to keep a club operating. They mark the boundaries on the oval, wash the guernseys we play in, timekeep our games, and run us water. Without them we wouldn’t be taking to the field on Saturdays.

There is a seemingly endless list of duties and tasks and quite often too much is left up to too few. Volunteering can be incredibly satisfying and rewarding, especially if it's within the family bastion of a football club, but when one is shouldering multiple duties, the passion can be stifled.

I've previously romanced that you can't compare the camaraderie at training and the white line fever on game day with being home alone in front of the idiot box or sucking beers on the sidelines. However, the next best thing to playing football is staying involved in football, because as a volunteer you are one of many cogs that drive a club to success and, deep down, most players are in gratitude of the support. The more people that become involved, the easier it becomes for all that are involved.

Football season may have wound to a close for us players, but those behind the scenes are already working with next season in mind. With AGMs just around the corner, now is the time when many clubs are seeking more hands on deck. An hour or two of your time each week is invaluable to a club and other volunteers, so why not be a part of the success?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Purely Amateur: All Hands On Deck

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 am

Nice one Q, being involved in a footy club again this year for the first time in 10 years has been great fun, I dont think a lot of people understand how rewarding volunteering (at anything, not just footy) can be.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2337 times
Been liked: 3603 times

Postby mickey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 am

Very well put Q. If only more people had this attitude it would make things a whole lot easier.

Might also steal it, if I may to try and rally the troops at my own footy club.... if u don't mind!
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Q. » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:49 am

It'll cost ya ;)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mickey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 am

I'll buy u a beer next time houghton play seaton ;)
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:56 am

mickey wrote:I'll buy u a beer next time houghton play seaton ;)

:lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby best on hill » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:15 pm

******* spot on Q, volunteers are the life blood of the cowell footy club and i would say every other club in country/metro footy club, a big thanks to all the volunteers in local footy.

BOH
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby am Bays » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:20 pm

And make no mistake the nine SANFL League clubs wouldn't operate without an army of volunteers throughout 46 weeks of the footy season.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues