Lib's with more I.R. laws and Labour spending 100 million?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:07 pm

heater31 wrote:I currently get a study allowance from Mr Howard, never held a job during the semester until last year and have just worn out my balance of the amount you are allowed to earn before affecting your payment. Having said that I have only had one payment period where I got zilch and the rest i have just kept it above zero with my last payment only just enough to buy a carton of beer :wink:

That's the trick, dont earn too much so that your payments are cancelled out for 2 or more fortnights so you don't have reclaim then.
The rules have improved over the years with the "free" area growing where you can earn money before impacting on benefits as well as the % of what affects growing as well.
In the old days anything you earnt after $60 affected your payment a fortnight, everything between 60 and 140 was 50 cents in the dollar reduction and after that dollar for dollar but the Libs have gradually brought more incentive to work on the dole than there ever was under Labor.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:09 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:It was so long ago 1998-99, i didn't know the correct term suspend stop whatever.....

All I know I was glad to get off it pissed when I had to go back on it again....

Basically if you earnt over the limit for more than 6 weeks you couldn't have done anything to make it easier to reapply, as I said in my previous post the only way you could do that would be to lower your earnings so you were still eligible for something.
Having said that, I don't think there was any extra waiting periods when you reapply in a short time but filling out all those forms, etc is a real pain in the arse.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
heater31 wrote:I currently get a study allowance from Mr Howard, never held a job during the semester until last year and have just worn out my balance of the amount you are allowed to earn before affecting your payment. Having said that I have only had one payment period where I got zilch and the rest i have just kept it above zero with my last payment only just enough to buy a carton of beer :wink:

That's the trick, dont earn too much so that your payments are cancelled out for 2 or more fortnights so you don't have reclaim then.
The rules have improved over the years with the "free" area growing where you can earn money before impacting on benefits as well as the % of what affects growing as well.
In the old days anything you earnt after $60 affected your payment a fortnight, everything between 60 and 140 was 50 cents in the dollar reduction and after that dollar for dollar but the Libs have gradually brought more incentive to work on the dole than there ever was under Labor.

I forgot to add that I started with the max balance you could have which was 6k from memory took me nearly 6 months to get it down to zero
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 pm

heater31 wrote:I forgot to add that I started with the max balance you could have which was 6k from memory took me nearly 6 months to get it down to zero

The income bank or whatever its called?
Luckily I didn't have to deal with that too much, real pain in the arse working out overpayments I can tell you!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:11 pm

Wedgie wrote:
heater31 wrote:I forgot to add that I started with the max balance you could have which was 6k from memory took me nearly 6 months to get it down to zero

The income bank or whatever its called?
Luckily I didn't have to deal with that too much, real pain in the arse working out overpayments I can tell you!

yeah I think that's what is called
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby PhilG » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:18 pm

PhilG

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics