Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby stan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am

Some good news for the government. Got the pension changes through with the help of the Greens. It was about time that the government made the effort to work with the independent and smaller parties.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Bully » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:And, it would seem, Labor were also paying people smugglers - as they don't want to answer that question. Or are they making some perverse point to highlight the Lib's stance about "commentary of security matters"? If they are, it ain't working.

Good to see at least someone on this forum with me sees that the previous debacle of a government ALSO paid people smugglers....
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:06 pm

is that anything more than conjecture? got any links?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Bully wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:And, it would seem, Labor were also paying people smugglers - as they don't want to answer that question. Or are they making some perverse point to highlight the Lib's stance about "commentary of security matters"? If they are, it ain't working.

Good to see at least someone on this forum with me sees that the previous debacle of a government ALSO paid people smugglers....

It doesn't make it acceptable.

On what planet do you discourage people smugglers by paying them?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby test » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Q. wrote:
Bully wrote:

The sad truth is this planet. Money and politics always overrides human rights, and as long as we've been on this planet it has.

Found it really disturbing that our Government (past and present) have done this, I try to ignore most of what goes on with politics but this is shocking, unfortunately can't see much being done about it.

Interesting that Indonesia are sharing photos about the money being paid, what's the link to the Bali 9 and all the Government posturing about that? A coincidence I think not.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Bully » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Q. wrote:
Bully wrote:

please post where is said in my post its acceptable ??
Bully
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:10 pm

test wrote:
Q. wrote:
Bully wrote:

Money and politics always overrides human rights, and as long as we've been on this planet it has.

I'm just unsure how, in this circumstance, it's thought a good move by: A) A government that talks up human rights (Lab), or B) A government trying to stop the boats. Giving money ain't going to help either situation. It just helps the smugglers - they get money from suffering people, then get paid by our government. If, anything it encourages them.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 pm

And do the smugglers give back the money to the passengers?
Or do they just say sorry, bad luck, we tried and get extra cash.
What happens then to the refugees?
Paying off the boats is a disgraceful action, but not unexpected from this government.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Bully » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:45 am

^^ or from the previous government
Bully
Coach

Postby test » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:12 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
test wrote:
Q. wrote:
Bully wrote:[quote="Dogwatcher"]And, it would seem, Labor were also paying people smugglers - as they don't want to answer that question. Or are they making some perverse point to highlight the Lib's stance about "commentary of security matters"? If they are, it ain't working.

Money and politics always overrides human rights, and as long as we've been on this planet it has.

I'm just unsure how, in this circumstance, it's thought a good move by: A) A government that talks up human rights (Lab), or B) A government trying to stop the boats. Giving money ain't going to help either situation. It just helps the smugglers - they get money from suffering people, then get paid by our government. If, anything it encourages them.[/quote]

This Government promised to stop the boats. They (and every Government) will do whatever that takes, they have a hard enough time keeping election promises as it is, so throwing money at people to turn around and sail back to Aisa, boats stopped, promise kept. Their whole bloody marketing campaign is that they've stopped the boats!! Forget the unethical, inhumane ways that they've achieved that, for them it's a victory. Lived up to a promise for once. Politics make me sick.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Q. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:46 am

They haven't actually stopped the boats through, just that the processing is done offshore and therefore there are no 'arrivals' recorded in the statistics.
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:48 am

I just don't see how paying them to turn back will stop them. I would say that it will increase boats in the water in the short term just so they can be paid off to turn around.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:05 pm

stan wrote:I just don't see how paying them to turn back will stop them. I would say that it will increase boats in the water in the short term just so they can be paid off to turn around.

of course they will. especially when the rhetoric has been about not disclosing how many boats are in the water to "ruin the business model" of the people smugglers.

paying them is just insane.

Makes me so angry at both sides of government that they would allow this.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:
stan wrote:I just don't see how paying them to turn back will stop them. I would say that it will increase boats in the water in the short term just so they can be paid off to turn around.

of course they will. especially when the rhetoric has been about not disclosing how many boats are in the water to "ruin the business model" of the people smugglers.

paying them is just insane.

Makes me so angry at both sides of government that they would allow this.

Turns the boats around at any cost. Nothing but attempting to win votes rather than addressing an issue.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:15 pm

worse than turning boats around at any cost - playing with innocent lives and almost certainly letting innocent people die just to win an election and force the problem to someone else
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:46 pm

It looks like it is possible that Australian spies paid people in Indonesia to stop boats departing whilst Labor was in power.

I think that is a pretty important distinction imo. I still dont agree with it, but it is much better than risking lives at sea.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... MP=ema_632
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:45 pm

So, despite the February NHMRC Report concluding windfarms don't cause adverse effects on humans, flat-earther Toney Abbott wants to appoint a windfarm commissioner. This guy #-o
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 am

So with the pirate fence looking likely now or closer to something that China would do the question has to be asked when did we go from stop the boats to stop the bits?
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:36 am

stan wrote:So with the pirate fence looking likely now or closer to something that China would do the question has to be asked when did we go from stop the boats to stop the bits?

When village roadshow lined the coffers of both major parties after they lost the case against iiNet
bennymacca
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:29 am

So now Tony accused the ABC of betraying Australia (something this piece of shit has done every day ) and described Q&A as a "leftie lynch mob"!

Now coming from a far right religious , monarchist , lying , piece of shit , that is funny.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics