bye bye Howard

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: bye bye Howard

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:The most vocal haters of the conservatives & ones who get all the airtime

Bollocks.

Akkerman, Albrechtsen, Bolt, Sheridan, Pearson, Windschuttle etc etc.

I could go on but the list above has made me feel nauseous.

& I'll raise your two well knowns & four who the f*ck are theys with the entire Australian Broadcasting Commision.
Throw em in Weary.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Sploosh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:07 pm

I've sent you a PM, Sheik Yerbouti. That'd be a Private Message, not a Prime Minister. I maintain that I have a right to my opinion, even though it differs from some here, including you. But I'm certainly not looking to make enemies on this board - I'm hoping to be on good terms with people when I resume going to the footy.

I am not a representative or spokesman for some super secret "left-wing" group, and as far as I know, I haven't trampled on anyone's rights or freedoms or stolen anyone's kittens. :)
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Sploosh wrote:I've sent you a PM, Sheik Yerbouti. That'd be a Private Message, not a Prime Minister. I maintain that I have a right to my opinion, even though it differs from some here, including you. But I'm certainly not looking to make enemies on this board - I'm hoping to be on good terms with people when I resume going to the footy.

I am not a representative or spokesman for some super secret "left-wing" group, and as far as I know, I haven't trampled on anyone's rights or freedoms or stolen anyone's kittens. :)

Yep got it & my assumption on your working history was incorrect.
My apologies.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Sploosh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:47 pm

No worries, and I am about to change the opening post. I remain opposed to many things that Howard stands for, but it was not my intention to rile good readers of this forum... it originally started as a parody 'companion thread' to the "bye bye Rudd" thread, and I should have chosen a word or two more carefully.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Why apologise if you truly feel that though?

That's what's great about this country - being able to debate an issue. Just because it's upset some people, doesn't mean you should change it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Sploosh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:53 pm

I don't apologise about feeling the way I do about Howard. But debate isn't just about blindly arguing your point without listening to the opposing view. While I didn't see it at first, I can now see that I could have made exactly the same point in the first post in a different way. My beef is with Howard, not with people on this site. While I disagree with some opinions about Howard that have been expressed by people who will (probably) vote for him, I agree that reasoned debate is the way to go.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I'm feeling the love :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Postby mick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm

me too :D
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:46 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:MP how can you say Howard bamboozled the process?? With a virtually tied vote at the convention (pro vs non republicans) he actually stood up and made the statement that we will have the referendum and give the people their say. He then virtually stayed out of the debate leaving it to teh ARM and AFCM to battle it out. If he wanted to he could have killed it stone dead at teh convention when the delegates couldn't make up there mind what they wanted. It was teh ARM that bamboozled the debate.

Won't get any argument from me that the ARM shoot itself in the foot.

While the fighting amongst Republians loaded the chamber, the actual referendum question pulled the trigger:

To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Commonwealth Parliament.

MPs appointing the President was never going to fly with voters which is what made the second part of the question such a killer.

Wonder what the result would have been if we were simply asked if we wanted the become a Republic with the model to determined at a later date?

At the very least, I suspect it would have been a lot closer than 45-55 vote in favour of a Republic.

FWIW, I think an Australian Republic is inevitable.

Don't know if I'll see it in my lifetime but I hope I do...
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Snaggletooth Tiger » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:06 am

In theory, I'm all for the Republic as well...
But if it's gonna cost the tax-payer shitloads of cash when the money should really
go to more important issues such as saving the River Murray, De-Salination plants etc. :?
GO THE GROWL!!!

"Shut the gate on this one Maxy... It's the Duck's Guts!"
Snaggletooth Tiger
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby PhilG » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:35 pm

PhilG

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics