Gillard should go!

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Gillard should go!

Postby Sojourner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Quichey wrote:It's not a protest, more an expression of disillusionment.

What disallusions you about the Greens?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Quichey wrote:
Psyber wrote:I regarded the Liberals as the lesser of two evils because the internal structures mean that every member gets a say, and doesn't get excluded for disagreeing with official policy.
Malcolm Turnbull disagrees with you :lol:
I don't think I'd get to keep the leadership long either, even if I managed to get it in the first place.. ;)

Malcolm and I have gotten along OK by email exchange, but haven't met face to face.
As I mentioned in another thread, my minority views haven't stopped me being elected to a branch position but I think I wouldn't get the numbers for a leadership bid!

I did have Alexander Downer's support for a safe seat some years ago, but my wife refused to be an MP's wife and offered me a difficult choice.
Her case was that I was too idealistic to be an MP and my frustration would make me impossible to live with.
In retrospect, I think she was right and that I was right in choosing to keep her rather than go for the seat.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Psyber wrote:
Quichey wrote:
Psyber wrote:I regarded the Liberals as the lesser of two evils because the internal structures mean that every member gets a say, and doesn't get excluded for disagreeing with official policy.
Malcolm Turnbull disagrees with you :lol:
I don't think I'd get to keep the leadership long either, even if I managed to get it in the first place.. ;)

Malcolm and I have gotten along OK by email exchange, but haven't met face to face.
As I mentioned in another thread, my minority views haven't stopped me being elected to a branch position but I think I wouldn't get the numbers for a leadership bid!

I did have Alexander Downer's support for a safe seat some years ago, but my wife refused to be an MP's wife and offered me a difficult choice.
Her case was that I was too idealistic to be an MP and my frustration would make me impossible to live with.
In retrospect, I think she was right and that I was right in choosing to keep her rather than go for the seat.

My mother used to be good friends with a cousin of Turnbull's and from her and others I've heard he's a really arrgoant tosser in real life, as I would've expected.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm

He's a rich tosser though. Must be doing something right
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 am

Gozu wrote: My mother used to be good friends with a cousin of Turnbull's and from her and others I've heard he's a really arrgoant tosser in real life, as I would've expected.
I suspect, as the saying goes, "it is all in the eye of the beholder"..
It is not only what you look at, but where you look from, and your beliefs alter what you see.
We are all vulnerable to that effect and have to think about our perceptions in case we are deceiving ourselves.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Gingernuts » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Psyber wrote:
Gozu wrote: My mother used to be good friends with a cousin of Turnbull's and from her and others I've heard he's a really arrgoant tosser in real life, as I would've expected.
It is not only what you look at, but where you look from, and your beliefs alter what you see.
We are all vulnerable to that effect and have to think about our perceptions in case we are deceiving ourselves.

Well my cousin's father-in-law is Malcolm Turnbull's cleaner's husband and he reckons he's a good bloke.

:lol:
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby southee » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Psyber wrote:

Well my cousin's father-in-law is Malcolm Turnbull's cleaner's husband and he reckons he's a good bloke.

:lol:

Sounds like a title of a TISM song :lol:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 am

Did I say that? Kevin Rudd fumbles the party line
BY: PETER VAN ONSELEN, CONTRIBUTING EDITOR From: The Australian November 28, 2011 12:00AM

Rudd calls for Labor Party reform

YESTERDAY on Australian Agenda Kevin Rudd (perhaps) unwittingly delivered a simultaneous message about party reform and the parliamentary leadership of the Labor Party.

In mounting his case for party reform to empower the lay membership to elect party officials across the spectrum of the organisation, Rudd let slip that such reform may also be part of his argument for a change of parliamentary leadership.

Only he is prepared to deliver control of the Labor Party to the members who have historically been shut out by the unions, the factional warlords, indeed the parliamentary executive of which he is a part. Rudd would go further to get members participating in the Labor Party than any other senior figure in the party. That was his message.

While Julia Gillard focuses on a conscience vote on gay marriage and opening up uranium exports to India ahead of the ALP national conference, Rudd wants members to use the week leading up to the conference to consider party reform because "unless we undertake some serious organisational surgery we (will) end up being a third party in Australian politics".

Asked would he implement his ideas if given the chance, Rudd was categorical: "Absolutely." But it was what followed that will have profound implications for federal politics: "My recommendation, if elected . . ." He paused mid-sentence. "If I was in a position in the future . . ." Paul Kelly quickly asked the question viewers must have been thinking: "You mean if elected prime minister again?"

Rudd began the necessary hosing down: "No, no, no, I'm going to your question, that you said if you're ever in a position to do something about this."

The cat was out of the bag.

The exchange with Kelly was brief, but the message was clear: Rudd views party reform as both Labor's strategy for political survival and his ticket to political revival.

This has implications beyond the influence of powerbrokers or even what it means for a return of Rudd to the leadership.

If reforms such as Rudd is proposing were to be enacted, the power and influence of the Labor Right would risk being replaced by the party's Left. The unions are powerful in the factional Right, however the lay membership always elects a left-winger as party president. It would likely do the same across other leadership positions if given the chance.

Empowering the members and disempowering the unions would change the Labor Party's fundamentals. A power shift inside the Labor organisation would inevitably lead to a policy shift as well, moving the party leftwards over time.

Following yesterday's interview, cabinet ministers were quick to privately condemn what Rudd had to say as little more than rabble-rousing, and by someone with a less-than-stellar track record when PM of seeking the input of others along the lines he now wants implemented.

But that doesn't make the reforms Rudd proposes any less real. And there is always the possibility that he has seen the error of his ways and hopes to now get the opportunity to do things differently a second time around.

Either way, Rudd's reformist zeal is sure to be an unwanted distraction for the Prime Minister in the lead-up to the conference, if not the parliamentary year ahead.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Its almost worth joining the Labor party just to get a seat the upcoming conference. You can see it now - a whole group of rabid left-wing unionists flexing their muscles in front of a small group of finely educated but grubby intelligencia. Bring it on.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby redandblack » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:02 pm

I love your work, SP.

Those attending are either 'rabid' or 'grubby' :D

'Intelligencia' ?????
redandblack

Postby southee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Loved seeing Gillard at the ARIA's presenting Kylie Minogue with the Hall of Fame ARIA.

Clutching to get the youth vote there for sure!!! :lol:

Labour Media advisors in full swing there!! (aka Rudd on Rove in 2007)

"Im cool, Im hip!!" ;)
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:37 pm

southee wrote:Loved seeing Gillard at the ARIA's presenting Kylie Minogue with the Hall of Fame ARIA.

Clutching to get the youth vote there for sure!!! :lol:

Labour Media advisors in full swing there!! (aka Rudd on Rove in 2007)

"Im cool, Im hip!!" ;)

A bit like Johnnie Howard donning the Akubra whenever he used to go a few km's outside the CBD?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Bat Pad » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 am

What section of the vote would that be going for?
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby redandblack » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:10 am

Not the same as Tony Abbott's fluoro jacket mob ;)
redandblack

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 am

Bat Pad wrote:What section of the vote would that be going for?

I was wondering the same thing......

Farmers - probably got them anyway

Slip, slop, slap campaigners maybe?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Dirko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

Well after she gets her uncalled for pay rise, she'll be wanting to hang around for a while yet.... :evil:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 am

This topic should be renamed All Politicians Should Go if they accept these most ridiculous and unjustified pay increases.

SERIOUSLY SOMETHING IS VERY VERY WRONG :evil:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 am

Think the pay increases are justified , removing the perks and just putting it in their salaries.

Regardless of what is portrayed in the media , politicians , especially those in ministerial positions do work a hell of a lot of hours and have massive responsibilities.

However the timing of this announcement is tactless.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby redandblack » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 am

$450,000 for running a country.

$6,000,000 for running an airline.

$48,000,000 for running a corrupt newspaper empire.

It's all relative.
redandblack

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:15 am

redandblack wrote:$450,000 for running a country.

$6,000,000 for running a once great airline into the ground
$48,000,000 for running a corrupt newspaper empire.

It's all relative.

Edited for accuracy.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics