The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby DOC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 am

Adelaide City Council ratepayers will pay for a by-election to replace a Greens candidate who has quit to fill a casual vacancy in state parliament.

Robert Simms announced his immediate resignation on Tuesday morning following the decision by long-serving Greens politician Mark Parnell to leave the Legislative Council.

Mr Parnell, a former environmental lawyer, said he wanted to give Mr Simms time to prepare for the state election in March next year.

It is the second time Mr Simms has prematurely quit the council to move into politics, forcing a by-election during his term as an elected member.

The other time was in 2014 when he resigned to become a senator following the resignation of Mr Parnell’s wife, Penny Wright. The cost to ratepayers was $75,000.

In an email to elected members on Tuesday morning he said he had been “selected by Greens members to be the lead candidate for the Upper House ticket for the next state election and to fill a casual vacancy should one arise”.

“As a result I will be nominated to succeed Mark and expect to be sworn into parliament on the 4th of May,” he said.

“So that I am eligible to take up this position I am resigning from Adelaide City Council – effective immediately.”

Mr Simms said it was “an exciting opportunity for me to better promote action on the things I’ve been working on in Town Hall”.

These included “responding to the climate crisis and social and economic inequality”.

“I do however understand that my resignation will create some disruption for the City Council,” he said.

“I hope that you will accept my apologies for this.”

Mr Simms said his second term on the council “has been unforgettable in so many ways”.

“I have no doubt that the experiences I have had will stay with me for a very long time,” he said.

“I’m grateful to the residents and ratepayers for giving me the opportunity to represent them.”

Mr Simms said he also wanted to thank “all of the members of administration I have worked with over the years”.

In a reference to the ongoing disunity within the Adelaide Town Hall chamber, he also thanked “those elected members with whom I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate”.

First-term councillor Jessy Khera responded by asking Mr Simms if the Greens would reimburse ratepayers for the cost of his by-election.

“I must be honest and mention disquiet about what would now be a minimum that are a consequence of your two unfinished terms,” he wrote in an email.

“Being on council is supposed to be a contract with ratepayers for a full term.

“The by-election costs are borne by the poorest and most vulnerable of our ratepayers, on whom the rates burden falls equally and without adjustment for their income.”

An Adelaide City Council meeting at Adelaide Town Hall. Picture: Colin James
An Adelaide City Council meeting at Adelaide Town Hall. Picture: Colin James
Contacted for comment, Mr Khera said political parties who recruited councillors midterm “should bear at least some of the costs of the ensuing by-elections”.

“It’s about time this abuse of the poorest and most vulnerable in our society by councillors who use local government as nothing but a springboard for other levels of politics comes to an end,” he said.

Mr Simms said he was “absolutely not aware” there was going to be a vacancy in the Greens’ parliamentary party when he ran for council in 2018.

“There was also no guarantee that even if one arose that I would be preselected by members of the Greens,” he said.

Mr Simms said he went into politics “to achieve outcomes”.

“While I understand some may be disappointed with my decision, I am much better placed to achieve positive change in the state parliament rather than locking horns with conservatives in town hall,” he said.

“I’ll continue to advocate for the people of Adelaide as well as the state more broadly in my new role.”
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:08 am

"It’s about time this abuse of the poorest and most vulnerable in our society by councillors who use local government as nothing but a springboard for other levels of politics comes to an end,”

The quote by first term councillor Jessy Khara, assume he means the wider world out there and not the poor residents of North Adelaide?

Also is Mr Simms a member of the Adelaide Faction or whatever it is called?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby DOC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:13 am

No he is not.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:46 pm

DOC wrote:No he is not.
Righto that's probably less interesting then, they'll conduct a by-election and get another person in.

The anti development team will continue to do there will and continue as is.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Trader » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:38 am

Local government should change its rules and simply offer the position to the person who had the next amount of votes on the previous ballot.
Sure, that means all the people that voted for this bloke the first time round effectively no longer have a vote, but that will discourage people from voting for someone who is unlikely to complete their term.

Saves money of the by-election and discourages ship jumpers from being voted in in the first place.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Annabel Digance...[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] trying to blackmail her way back into parliament

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Annabel Digance...[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] trying to blackmail her way back into parliament

She is an absolute piece of work & her husband is worse
I witnessed both of them in action on election eve 2014
The news today is not surprising
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:54 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Annabel Digance...[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] trying to blackmail her way back into parliament

And may do time, and a fair stretch of it.
Idiots!!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 am

Good leadership from Malinauskas for calling it out.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:20 pm

cracka wrote:Good leadership from Malinauskas for calling it out.

I dont know about leadership. Probably more to do with his personality. He's not your usual union mug

Malinauskas has got plenty of the right stuff unlike a lot of the others who came through the union movement where this sort of grubby $hit is a daily occurrence in union elections. There's a reason "ratf*uck" is so commonly used in the Labor Party.

But yes: Good on him for calling them out. These two are ruthless and this has been coming their way for a long time.
I assisted Habib in the 2014 election and the "Can you trust Habib?" was only one part of their disgusting antics to get her face in the trough. :@) :@) :@) :@) :@)

Ignore their pleas of innocence and bullying in that campaign. Gaslighting at its worst
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
cracka wrote:Good leadership from Malinauskas for calling it out.

I dont know about leadership. Probably more to do with his personality. He's not your usual union mug

Malinauskas has got plenty of the right stuff unlike a lot of the others who came through the union movement where this sort of grubby $hit is a daily occurrence in union elections. There's a reason "ratf*uck" is so commonly used in the Labor Party.

But yes: Good on him for calling them out. These two are ruthless and this has been coming their way for a long time.
I assisted Habib in the 2014 election and the "Can you trust Habib?" was only one part of their disgusting antics to get her face in the trough. :@) :@) :@) :@) :@)

Ignore their pleas of innocence and bullying in that campaign. Gaslighting at its worst

Unlike your corrupt misogynist grubby mates .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 pm

I had a brief chat with Steven Marshall at a dinner function last weekend recently, primarily about Mental Health Services and the John Mendoza walk out, and ambulance ramping. He was friendly and listened, but non-committal about policy changes in the area. I'm not surprised I guess I would have been too. I've also put my comments in writing to him and to my local state MP (Dan Cregan).
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Ooooh, I sense this may cause a leadership spill...

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm

The TTG mayor.
He was in good form on the ch7 news the other night....

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:05 pm

Reports the Marshall government is trying to sell off existing Adelaide 500 infrastructure before the next election, basically making it impossible for Labor to reinstate the race.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Booney wrote:Reports the Marshall government is trying to sell off existing Adelaide 500 infrastructure before the next election, basically making it impossible for Labor to reinstate the race.
May aswell get some money for the stuff, doubt it’s coming back regardless
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:19 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Ooooh, I sense this may cause a leadership spill...

Psyber taking on Marshall? :-k
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Booney wrote:Reports the Marshall government is trying to sell off existing Adelaide 500 infrastructure before the next election, basically making it impossible for Labor to reinstate the race.

Geezus how petty can this bloke get?
Looking after the elites in norwood.
Its a labour election promise so he's just being a dick!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 am

Still not convinced this decision was made in the best interests of South Australia and rather some money being swung their way by someone with a vested interest in motor racing moving location.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:28 am

whufc wrote:

Still not convinced this decision was made in the best interests of South Australia and rather some money being swung their way by someone with a vested interest in motor racing moving location.

Funny how this book keeps coming up on my page because I bought it.
Piranha Club.png
Piranha Club.png (92.19 KiB) Viewed 795 times

I'm only 30 pages in but its captivating about how F1 worked and works

You can get it at: https: http://www.worldofbooks.com

Highly recommend
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics