BL&G Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: 2009 BL&G Season

Postby Stirlo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Tigers93-94 wrote:Mike 'Dusty' Millar is his name he has years of experience coaching the Wanderers in the NTFL.

Stirlo
Is he the new favourite?
If not whats your best guess and when would the announcement likely be?[/quote]

Say his chances are slim with GC's two favourite sons turn coaches in the mix and David Smith still with a toe in the water.. Massive call for the Tigers Officials and whatever way they go someones nose will be put out of place.
Stirlo

Postby Tigers93-94 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:07 pm

is there a chance to package them up
one getting the reserves gig and working together
Tigers93-94
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Tough call T93-94...

Both at similar stages in their coaching careers, I think coaching B Grade for both of them would not be a step forward.
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Tigers93-94 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:34 pm

LC & Stirlo

Whou would you go for to move the club forward

and whats more important to the club at the moment kids or imports
Tigers93-94
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Stirlo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Tigers93-94 wrote:is there a chance to package them up

A dual coaching concept has been tried and failed in Gawler, we don't want to be in the same position as Willaston.... struggling.
Stirlo

Postby Stirlo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Tigers93-94 wrote:LC & Stirlo

Whats important is to get the right mix of both... not sure either of these two blokes will take the tigers anywhere they haven't been before.
Stirlo

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 pm

For Gawler Central, The most important thing will always be local talent and that comes from the juniors.... They have never had a lot of imports spots and I doubt they ever will, so locals will be the basis of any success at that club!
Their Junior program seems to be in full swing, both Colts sides making the GF is proof of that...

Having said that, they have an extremely good base to work off this year:

Taylor
Hahn
Heberle
Howard
Wozniak
King

All locals (with Hahn qualifying this year I believe), youth of the Following:

Hillebrand x 2
Classom
Cooke
Nickalus
Scott

From what I saw of their 17's their could be a few good kids come from there also...

So for Immediate success, they need to fill their 3 import spots (hopefully keep Thomas in that lot), but dont be silly to neglect the good junior program they have currently!
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Stirlo wrote:

Whats important is to get the right mix of both... not sure either of these two blokes will take the tigers anywhere they haven't been before.

Interesting stirlo, they only have one more step to take to get to the big dance... do you think either can manage that?
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Stirlo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Liquid Confidence wrote:
Stirlo wrote:

Interesting stirlo, they only have one more step to take to get to the big dance... do you think either can manage that?

Big task. First year coach Nelson couldn't improve his super side and from all reports their list is capitulating after his one year at the helm. Wilson at Willaston did nothing in 3 years, he was a first year coach, Herzick can't even get his guys to training and he had some Div5 experience, the trend goes on.

It would be difficult to coach people that think they know more than you and i would suggest some of GC's players would have the wood on Hermann & Dawe.. Unless the club supported a mass clean out and went with youth i can't see either of these two taking their list any further.
Stirlo

Postby Edgar05 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:58 pm

I agree Stirlo, I don't think either of those blokes, who played as a fringe A grader at best, could wield the authority or have the footy respect of the playing group to improve their ladder position in 2009. Both stand out blokes though!!
Tim Clarke was the #1 player in the AFL
Edgar05
Rookie

Postby skipper » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Kapunda are very keen on Milky and probably will get the job after Milky came second to Prouse last season. As for Leske, Broadview want him big time and he is moving to Adelaide next year. The Local talk around Freeling is he will probably stay at Freeling due to the appointment of Prouse.

Skip
skipper
Under 16s

Postby Bag & Sledge » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Stirlo wrote:
Tigers93-94 wrote:is there a chance to package them up

A dual coaching concept has been tried and failed in Gawler, we don't want to be in the same position as Willaston.... struggling.

Finishing 3rd- Gawler Central are in a make or break situation...
They have the list and are ready to strike but......
Make the right coach choice= success
Make te wrong choice= No success, Players not happy and mass Walkouts
Herrmann fits the bill i believe...
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Bag & Sledge » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Edgar05 wrote:I agree Stirlo, I don't think either of those blokes, who played as a fringe A grader at best, could wield the authority or have the footy respect of the playing group to improve their ladder position in 2009. Both stand out blokes though!!

Roy Laird wasn't a Standout League Player and he has had great success at a coaching level and has earnt massive respect with his great communication to his players and smart football brain and will go down as one of the greatest coaches in history ... Some guys make a great coach but might not be fantastic players.

John Platten was a gun player with plenty of respect as a player- couldnt coach!
Scott Lee could also fall under the great player without respect and success as a coach...
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby Bag & Sledge » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Bag & Sledge wrote:
Liquid Confidence wrote:So if Payne has applied for both and EP give him the nod before he hears from Centrals,

What will be the outcome???

Considering GC's applications close this Friday, I would assume that both parties will wait for the outcome of the GC job, especially if EP want to keep Payne!

Word has it that Matt Herrmann (2008 BLG Junior Coach of the Year) is also in the running for the Gawler Central A-Grade job, we have heard in the valley that he is very well respected throughout the league and at Central District and if Gawler Central dont pick him up then Central District will.
Matt Herrmann has a few positives compared to other coaches names have been put on this forum. It could be a worry if a couple of possible candidates get the job and start staying out on the p**s all night long.......... GC Players will walk all over a coach that acts like that...
Would think they would need a coach like Herrmann to guide them through the next few years as w all know how successful he is with juniors coming through.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby Hafey » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Bag & Sledge wrote:
Edgar05 wrote:I agree Stirlo, I don't think either of those blokes, who played as a fringe A grader at best, could wield the authority or have the footy respect of the playing group to improve their ladder position in 2009. Both stand out blokes though!!

Roy Laird wasn't a Standout League Player and he has had great success at a coaching level and has earnt massive respect with his great communication to his players and smart football brain and will go down as one of the greatest coaches in history ... Some guys make a great coach but might not be fantastic players.

John Platten was a gun player with plenty of respect as a player- couldnt coach!
Scott Lee could also fall under the great player without respect and success as a coach...

'Roy Laird will go down as one of the greatest coaches in history' :lol:

Ron Barassi
Leigh Mathews
Kevin Sheedy
Jock McHale
Roy Laird
What i dont know about football isnt worth knowing .
Hafey
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby boozehound » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:04 pm

I'll think you'll find he was referring to League footy but i'm not surprised to see another snipey comment from you on here :wink:
Harsh but fair.....
boozehound
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Bag & Sledge » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:52 am

Hafey wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:

'Roy Laird will go down as one of the greatest coaches in history' :lol:

Ron Barassi
Leigh Mathews
Kevin Sheedy
Jock McHale
Roy Laird

Mick Brien has changed the BLG... no biased happenings at all!

What people dont know is last year Mick tried to get a grant for the Willaston Netball Courts to be fixed through the government, $30,000 wasn't it??? Luckily enough it fell through!!!

Wonder if Mick is taking the same approach for all other BLG Clubs?
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Postby Liquid Confidence » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:20 am

So with all this discussion over the Tigers of the Gawler variety, havent we forgotten about the Nuriootpa Tigers....
Who will they appoint!

And what about Kapunda, they WANT Vivian, no secret there, but does he want them, thats the question!
Will the current Kapunda group actually show any respect for any other coach after losing such a close friend and mentor. Was always going to be hard for Prouse last year, Players were never going to make it easy... Not intentionally perhaps, but not a nice position for them to be in either!!!
I believe that will be a tough job for the next few years, no matter who has the top job.

As for Gawler Centrals, applications close today according to the ad in the paper, so I would suggest a decision cant be too far away, if it already hasnt been made....

Im off on an overseas holiday this afternoon, so I look forward to hearing/reading all the news when I get back!
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Stirlo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 am

Bag & Sledge wrote:

Tyring to draw comparisions from the SANFL & BLG is futile, what you have pointed out though is that with abunance of resources that SANFL coaches have at their disposal it is possible to learn on the job, of course Sir Roy is an exception to all.

The BLG coaches are typically one man bands playing lips service to egos or try and herd cattle, you don't have to look back to far to see how many first year coaches have been chewed and spat out in the BLG very few go on to bigger and better things.
Stirlo

Postby Gator-Aid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:59 am

I wonder if the new GC coach(when finally appointed) will be party to some of the ridiculous offers made to fringe Port Adelaide reserves players as was the case last season. Just happen to know of one personally, ridiculous to say the least.
Now that is just plain dumb, don't you think?
Gator-Aid
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy