HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby stretch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Any chance there'll be a night game at the Thunderdome this season?
stretch

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mitcham

Postby Grumpy Old B » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:24 pm

stretch wrote:Any chance there'll be a night game at the Thunderdome this season?

Any chance they will have a team. More clearances out than in. Only 19 on the track the other training night. Not good this close to season starting.
Grumpy Old B

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Grumpy Old B wrote:
stretch wrote:Any chance there'll be a night game at the Thunderdome this season?

Any chance they will have a team. More clearances out than in. Only 19 on the track the other training night. Not good this close to season starting.

Will be fine in seniors. We barely had 19 most of last year, unfortunately we have a lot of lads that dont particularly like training. Most of those outs are juniors and pretty handy ones at that. Been a pretty divisive move going down which has led to alot of juniors leaving.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 188 times

Postby Toto » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 am

With the season starting next week and without hearing very much at all this pre season regarding recruits and players leaving, I'm going to try and have a crack at my season predictions now!

Nairne- The Rams will be dirty at letting another premiership slip through their fingers, and from what I've heard are doing everything in their power to stop that from happening again! Clearance list has quite a few ins for the Rams, with one notable out being Hancock. Have a few very handy local boys back from elsewhere too. If they have managed to pick up a couple key position players they will be very hard to beat. Ladhams needs a big year and probably needs to bag 70-80+.
They're my tip for the flag.

Bridgewater- Rumours suggest there's been a bit of jumping around at Raiderland, a few very good players departing for greener pastures($$$).....
Word is this big man, J Mac wasn't too happy with a few boys and so a few have returned to help out the big mid. Be interesting to see if they have as much dominance at Callington oval as their home ground for the whole season as they did at The kids oval which has been an absolute fortress for the boys in blue. Have solid depth, even if they've lost a few they will still be there at the business end. I have them finishing second.

Kersbrook- Beefy James, the mastermind. You never know what he will pull out and they always hold their cards close to their chest during pre season. Have heard absolutely nothing about the northern blues. They'll still be a contender, and will do enough to make sure they can have a crack come finals time! Think they'll finish 3rd.

Ironbank- Chaos at Thunderpark is what has been going around on the grapevine. Rumours of only 15 players to training and one night only 6????!!! Not sure the truth to these whispers so can't be taken too seriously. You're not gonna come down from central division and be a below average side I wouldn't have thought. But, have heard plenty of strange stories about the Bankers. Hopefully their heads aren't too big thinking that they will drop
Down and waltz on in to a flag. Not gonna happen. Nairne and bridgey will make sure of that and I think they'll get a wake up call round 1! Still play finals and could finish anywhere inside that top 5 I believe. 4th for me.

Birdwood- Oh no! What's happened to the boys of Blumberg??? They were going the right way about challenging for premierships. Seemed to be following the Nairne mould with consolidating their juniors and getting recruits to complement their local
Talent. But Losing a 6'9" full forward is always going to hurt and probably their best inside midfielder, has hurt them massively. Will be interested to see what they have picked up, big proud club and am sure they won't just sit back and watch players go without trying to replace them!
5th for me.

Gumeracha- The northern magpies have got one of their golden boys back, and probably the most notable inclusion to country division this year. The reigning Central division Mail Medalist, Ben Digger Hanna. I would imaging he would walk back
In to a captaincy job there and will have an immediate impact on the senior group, after a long period in cellar, I think they will start climbing up the ladder! Their depth with be a big issue but I think they'll improve a bit! 6th for mine.

Meadows- Youuuuuuuuuu dogs. The Bulldogs from Battunga country have got past junior ruckman Jai Middleton back. The bloke was 6'10" in senior colts. Big in for them, and will let big wadey sit at chf and rest his body. Have heard they can't fill a senior colts side which is sad, they've been strong in the juniors for a very long time. Think they'll be around 6-7th.

Macclesfield- The blood and tars, have been flogged during the previous season by coach Harford. Have lost their skipper and a couple others, have also picked up a few. Can't really seeing them any higher than 7th. Prediction. 8th.

Kangarilla- Just can't seem to hang on to handy footballers down that way! Juniors have dropped right off too. Have heard nothing about the double blues and thus have picked them to take the spoon of the wooden variety.

Mail medal- Gamma
Goal kicking- Ladhams.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby wonder_kid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Juniors have dropped right off ok we have all 3 junior teams unlike a lot of clubs this year...
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Kangarilla have picked up a couple handy players and a bloke who would be one of the best talls in this comp and on his day would be as good as anything going around.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby batmanbegins » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 pm

Toto wrote:With the season starting next week and without hearing very much at all this pre season regarding recruits and players leaving, I'm going to try and have a crack at my season predictions now!

Nairne- The Rams will be dirty at letting another premiership slip through their fingers, and from what I've heard are doing everything in their power to stop that from happening again! Clearance list has quite a few ins for the Rams, with one notable out being Hancock. Have a few very handy local boys back from elsewhere too. If they have managed to pick up a couple key position players they will be very hard to beat. Ladhams needs a big year and probably needs to bag 70-80+.
They're my tip for the flag.

Bridgewater- Rumours suggest there's been a bit of jumping around at Raiderland, a few very good players departing for greener pastures($$$).....
Word is this big man, J Mac wasn't too happy with a few boys and so a few have returned to help out the big mid. Be interesting to see if they have as much dominance at Callington oval as their home ground for the whole season as they did at The kids oval which has been an absolute fortress for the boys in blue. Have solid depth, even if they've lost a few they will still be there at the business end. I have them finishing second.

Kersbrook- Beefy James, the mastermind. You never know what he will pull out and they always hold their cards close to their chest during pre season. Have heard absolutely nothing about the northern blues. They'll still be a contender, and will do enough to make sure they can have a crack come finals time! Think they'll finish 3rd.

Ironbank- Chaos at Thunderpark is what has been going around on the grapevine. Rumours of only 15 players to training and one night only 6????!!! Not sure the truth to these whispers so can't be taken too seriously. You're not gonna come down from central division and be a below average side I wouldn't have thought. But, have heard plenty of strange stories about the Bankers. Hopefully their heads aren't too big thinking that they will drop
Down and waltz on in to a flag. Not gonna happen. Nairne and bridgey will make sure of that and I think they'll get a wake up call round 1! Still play finals and could finish anywhere inside that top 5 I believe. 4th for me.

Birdwood- Oh no! What's happened to the boys of Blumberg??? They were going the right way about challenging for premierships. Seemed to be following the Nairne mould with consolidating their juniors and getting recruits to complement their local
Talent. But Losing a 6'9" full forward is always going to hurt and probably their best inside midfielder, has hurt them massively. Will be interested to see what they have picked up, big proud club and am sure they won't just sit back and watch players go without trying to replace them!
5th for me.

Gumeracha- The northern magpies have got one of their golden boys back, and probably the most notable inclusion to country division this year. The reigning Central division Mail Medalist, Ben Digger Hanna. I would imaging he would walk back
In to a captaincy job there and will have an immediate impact on the senior group, after a long period in cellar, I think they will start climbing up the ladder! Their depth with be a big issue but I think they'll improve a bit! 6th for mine.

Meadows- Youuuuuuuuuu dogs. The Bulldogs from Battunga country have got past junior ruckman Jai Middleton back. The bloke was 6'10" in senior colts. Big in for them, and will let big wadey sit at chf and rest his body. Have heard they can't fill a senior colts side which is sad, they've been strong in the juniors for a very long time. Think they'll be around 6-7th.

Macclesfield- The blood and tars, have been flogged during the previous season by coach Harford. Have lost their skipper and a couple others, have also picked up a few. Can't really seeing them any higher than 7th. Prediction. 8th.

Kangarilla- Just can't seem to hang on to handy footballers down that way! Juniors have dropped right off too. Have heard nothing about the double blues and thus have picked them to take the spoon of the wooden variety.

Mail medal- Gamma
Goal kicking- Ladhams.

Good write up Toto. Nairne are certainly favourites in my eyes.

We certainly dont expect to waltz to a flag and understand how tough its going to be. As for numbers we have pretty good numbers now with wendels in charge and our new b grade coach. Just a pity about our juniors. Our A grade should be strong if fully fit though.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 188 times

Postby B&F » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:38 am

Some interesting in's and outs for all teams across the league this year.

Round 1 very close now I'll have a crack at the tips this week:
Birdwood Vs Macclesfield - both teams have seen key losses this year in the off season, I think Birdwood still have the numbers and talent to get over Maccy at home and should do it by 2-3 goals.
Bridgewater Vs Ironbank - Interesting match up out at Callington, vast difference in oval size for Ironbank and Bridgewaters past home ground. Will be interesting as both have lost a fair few, I think Ironbank will want to try and establish themselves in the comp early and Bridgy will want to show there is no premiership hang over, should be a close one Bridgy by 1 goal.
Gumeracha Vs Nairne - Nairne will be a stand out this year from looking at their recruits, I know they are saying loosing Hancock is no big loss but i think the way they played last year and leaving him one out most weeks will be effected, but their new recruits will give them a 10 goal + win this week.
Kersbrook V Kangarilla - Even though Kangarilla have recruited I still don't see enough depth in their list to challenge the top 5 sides and see Kersbrook at home getting up by over 10 goals +.
B&F

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby cossi11 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:46 am

B&F wrote:Some interesting in's and outs for all teams across the league this year.

Birdwood Vs Macclesfield - both teams have seen key losses this year in the off season, I think Birdwood still have the numbers and talent to get over Maccy at home and should do it by 2-3 goals.
Bridgewater Vs Ironbank - Interesting match up out at Callington, vast difference in oval size for Ironbank and Bridgewaters past home ground. Will be interesting as both have lost a fair few, I think Ironbank will want to try and establish themselves in the comp early and Bridgy will want to show there is no premiership hang over, should be a close one Bridgy by 1 goal.
Gumeracha Vs Nairne - Nairne will be a stand out this year from looking at their recruits, I know they are saying loosing Hancock is no big loss but i think the way they played last year and leaving him one out most weeks will be effected, but their new recruits will give them a 10 goal + win this week.
Kersbrook V Kangarilla - Even though Kangarilla have recruited I still don't see enough depth in their list to challenge the top 5 sides and see Kersbrook at home getting up by over 10 goals +.

Watch out for Mumford at Gummies, I am going to make a big call early call and back him in for the goal kicking... He reminds me of the Connolly from Birdwood, is a big frame, has a great set of dukes, can kick goals and most importantly has those 2nd and 3rd efforts for when the ball hits the ground.. I'll go with 60+ for the season
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Watched a bit of Ironbank on Saturday, they looked alright., couple of big bodied midfielders and lightly framed wingman who will be good over the heavy winter months.

Was told they had 12 out, getting them back will boost them even more.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm

cossi11 wrote:
B&F wrote:Some interesting in's and outs for all teams across the league this year.

Watch out for Mumford at Gummies, I am going to make a big call early call and back him in for the goal kicking... He reminds me of the Connolly from Birdwood, is a big frame, has a great set of dukes, can kick goals and most importantly has those 2nd and 3rd efforts for when the ball hits the ground.. I'll go with 60+ for the season

I'm tipping Willy Serle (Bridgewater/Callington) to win the League goal kicking with at least 80+.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Officejet » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Bag & Sledge wrote:
cossi11 wrote:

I'm tipping Willy Serle (Bridgewater/Callington) to win the League goal kicking with at least 80+.

Isn't Willy at Ironbank ?
We are the Red and Blacks
Officejet
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Keefy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Officejet wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:
cossi11 wrote:

Isn't Willy at Ironbank ?

Clearance submitted on Friday
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Officejet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Kicked a lot of goals for Kadina over the years…how did he go last year at Ironbank ?
We are the Red and Blacks
Officejet
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby B&F » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 am

Round 2

no real surprises in round one apart from the thumping Birdwood gave Maccy with all Birdwoods outs over the off season.
Kangarilla Vs Gumeracha - I think Gumeracha have improved the most out of the bottom sides over the off season. See Mumford kicked 7 as someone previously stated unless Kangy have someone to stop or give support to help stop him i see him kicking another bag this weekend and Gumeracha getting up over Kangy by 10 Goals +.
Macclesfield Vs Meadows - First hit out for Meadows, Maccy will be wanting to rebound at home after that loss last week I see this being a close one with both teams having lost and gained players but Meadows have yet to be tested. Meadows just (only going off last years results) by around 2-3 goals.
Nairne B Vs Birdwood - This will be the test to see if Birdwood are a sneaky to stay in the top 5, will come in confident after smashing Macclesfield last week. I see Nairne too strong and getting up over Bridwood by 5 goals +.
Ironbank Vs Kersbrook - Should be a good hit out, this may be the fight for 3rd or 4th spot in my opinion. Will Kersbrook be training this week on half the oval to get used to the conditions on Saturday? I think this is the game of the round and see Kersbrook getting up over Ironbank just.
B&F

Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Toto » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Yeah no real surprises in round 1, Gumeracha seem to have improved quite a lot by the score line. Mind you Nairne still had nearly 40 scoring shots, at Gumeracha too, could have been a lot worse by the looks of it.
On the flip side you see kersbrook have a similar amount of scoring shots against Kangarilla and kick 28.8!!! That's what they do, they punish the lower sides.

Agree with all BnF's tips except I think kersbrook will get over Ironbank.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby wonder_kid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Kersbrook were very sharp on Saturday we didn't do a lot.wrong in the first qtr and were 5 goals down in a jif. Skills were very good and just too classy for us... on to gums at home who.wi'll be tough to play this year!
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby SuperFrank » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Anyone know much about Jake Spencely? Think he was with Macclesfield last season.......

Moved to waikeri with his brother Matt. If he is anything like his brother, he can play!!!
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 pm

wonder_kid wrote:Kersbrook were very sharp on Saturday we didn't do a lot.wrong in the first qtr and were 5 goals down in a jif. Skills were very good and just too classy for us... on to gums at home who.wi'll be tough to play this year!

Were you at the game?
Kangy were a rabble in the first quarter. Blokes arguing with the coach was pretty embarrassing!
Certainly showed endeavour from then on though. Kersbrook were good finishers.
Hope the umpiring standard improves.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 508 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby wonder_kid » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:12 pm

I was at at the game and yea wasn't great viewing skills class and size were the difference ..umpiring was atrocious for both teams...
wonder_kid
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy