HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby batmanbegins » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:27 am

Toto wrote:Couple surprising results. Lofty lost to Lobey…. Lost 4 of their last 5 and not the form you want heading into the pointy end. Think they’ll lose the double chance to Uraidla now.

Ironbank nearly pinched Mount Barker! 6 goal 25 is that right????
Onkas nearly upset the Dorf train.
Hourigan with another big bag of 9 to go to 96!

Was a pretty crazy ending at IB to, IB kicked a goal with 5 seconds left to take the lead only for the field umpire to determine it was touched off the boot & the play before that the goal umpire determined a ball was out of bounds which was leading to a goal when the boundary was right next to the player and didn't say it was out. However 6.25 isn't winning many games so you make your own luck. Barker seemed to have half a team out including Callins and there 2s would have been bottom 3 in Div 2 they were that bad. I can't fathom how Barker aren't a powerhouse in this league with the township but obviously this year has been difficult for them.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Barkeroo » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:22 pm

Yeah injuries have smashed us this year. I think someone said that we'd used 44 players in A Grade and 55 in B Grade this season.
We were down to no bench by qtr time in the Bs but Ironbank were still the better side with some quality players for sure and deserved the win as they kicked straighter.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Yank Man » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:11 pm

Toto wrote:I can’t see how Ironbank can stay in D1. Even though I don’t think Bridgey contributed much in the way of senior players.

Might depend a lot on whether Ironbank actually stay in Hills in 2024.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:19 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Toto wrote:I can’t see how Ironbank can stay in D1. Even though I don’t think Bridgey contributed much in the way of senior players.

Have heard a whisper of them moving, down to town I presume?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Strongly suspect that’s a whisper only.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:17 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

It's not the saafl if that's what you mean by down town. I'm not sure how serious it is though.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Postby Yank Man » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:25 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Strongly suspect it’s more than a whisper. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Toto » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:13 pm

Southern or Ammo’s? Ammo’s surely not worth separating the kids with the seniors?
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:18 pm

Wouldn’t be the ammo’s to be more specific.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:27 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Wouldn’t be the ammo’s to be more specific.

The club over the past years has certainly attracted more of its Juniors from the southern region rather then the hills. Back in 2000s and early 2010s it was predominantly from the Stirling area due to Ronny Axford and we had huge Junior numbers but that's now dominated by Lofty. Even our senior squad would be more from the southern region with not many lads living in the hills anymore
batmanbegins
Reserves

Postby MatteeG » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:09 am

batmanbegins wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Wouldn’t be the ammo’s to be more specific.

The club over the past years has certainly attracted more of its Juniors from the southern region rather then the hills. Back in 2000s and early 2010s it was predominantly from the Stirling area due to Ronny Axford and we had huge Junior numbers but that's now dominated by Lofty. Even our senior squad would be more from the southern region with not many lads living in the hills anymore

Ron is my Uncle- do they have much presence at the club any more BB? Havent seen them for a while
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Toto » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:34 am

If they do jump to southern. I wonder how hard Meadows will think about coming up? I think we all agree the gap between D1 & 2 has widened, and the gap between the top 2-3 in D1 and D2 is a big margin.

Last round! Lofty have had a turbulent month to finish and have coughed up, regained and then coughed up their double chance all in 3 weeks and can’t seem to kick a winning score. If Uraidla beat Onkas which I think they will, they will take on Nairne next week. If not, they play Onkas and Lofty have a crack at the rams. Hahndorf 3 games clear on top and Nairne 3 games and nearly 15% clear in second.

Will we see Hourigan kick his 100th against Mount Barker? I would think so. Massive achievement in probably one of the more difficult leagues to do so with our weather, smaller grounds, level of competition and let’s be honest copping at least 2-3 defenders throughout his career, he is in my opinion the most dominant player in the comp in the last 10 years and would be great to see him achieve it again no matter who you barrack for.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Shortman » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:05 am

Toto wrote:If they do jump to southern. I wonder how hard Meadows will think about coming up? I think we all agree the gap between D1 & 2 has widened, and the gap between the top 2-3 in D1 and D2 is a big margin.

Last round! Lofty have had a turbulent month to finish and have coughed up, regained and then coughed up their double chance all in 3 weeks and can’t seem to kick a winning score. If Uraidla beat Onkas which I think they will, they will take on Nairne next week. If not, they play Onkas and Lofty have a crack at the rams. Hahndorf 3 games clear on top and Nairne 3 games and nearly 15% clear in second.

Will we see Hourigan kick his 100th against Mount Barker? I would think so. Massive achievement in probably one of the more difficult leagues to do so with our weather, smaller grounds, level of competition and let’s be honest copping at least 2-3 defenders throughout his career, he is in my opinion the most dominant player in the comp in the last 10 years and would be great to see him achieve it again no matter who you barrack for.

Meadows would be unlikely, unless they and Kangarilla merged they'd be nowhere near strong enough
Shortman
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby caleb777 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:27 pm

Shortman wrote:
Toto wrote:If they do jump to southern. I wonder how hard Meadows will think about coming up? I think we all agree the gap between D1 & 2 has widened, and the gap between the top 2-3 in D1 and D2 is a big margin.

Meadows would be unlikely, unless they and Kangarilla merged they'd be nowhere near strong enough

Why dont Meadows and Maccy merge? They are like 5 minutes from each other. I get there is probably a strong rivalry but with div 2 always at threat of dying wouldnt that make sense?

Then do the Northern sides (Birdwood/Gum) merge as well?

The Bridgey Ironbank merger just looked shaky from the start.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Barkeroo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:38 pm

caleb777 wrote:
Shortman wrote:

Why dont Meadows and Maccy merge? They are like 5 minutes from each other. I get there is probably a strong rivalry but with div 2 always at threat of dying wouldnt that make sense?

Then do the Northern sides (Birdwood/Gum) merge as well?

The Bridgey Ironbank merger just looked shaky from the start.

I think the fact that it wasn't a proper merger didn't help.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Toto » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:10 pm

Hourigan got his 100 early on. Fantastic achievement in a strong competition. Seen both Mount Barker senior sides lose by 20+ goals, when would that have happened in the past?

URI pinch 3rd by .21%. Lofty have to play Onkas in an elimination final who have had them covered twice this season.
Nairne take on Uraidla.

Looking forward to a finals series with 3 new sides in it from last year!
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:14 pm

Nairne are the best team Ive seen this year, although only saw Hahndorf on a very wet/muddy day, was impressed with how well structured Onka's were also and reckon they might be able to surprise on a dry day
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Toto » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:49 am

What makes you say that about Nairne Dutchy? They’ve handed out a heap of beltings this year so their ceiling must be quite high! I just think the difference between Hahndorfs best and worst is so small that’s why they’re hard to beat. They don’t have bad days. Onkas are the least impressive I’ve seen in the 5 IMO. Lofty are in a bit of a hole though, wouldn’t be surprised to see Onkas knock them off for a 3rd time this year. URI have been here enough times to know how to cause an upset or 2 so don’t be surprised if that happens Saturday.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:33 am

Toto wrote:What makes you say that about Nairne Dutchy? They’ve handed out a heap of beltings this year so their ceiling must be quite high! I just think the difference between Hahndorfs best and worst is so small that’s why they’re hard to beat. They don’t have bad days. Onkas are the least impressive I’ve seen in the 5 IMO. Lofty are in a bit of a hole though, wouldn’t be surprised to see Onkas knock them off for a 3rd time this year. URI have been here enough times to know how to cause an upset or 2 so don’t be surprised if that happens Saturday.

Just been the best team Ive seen, mind you their defence didn't get put under much pressure! Hard to see it not being a Nairne/Hahndorf GF. Just my view but I think Onka's are the 3rd best team, time will tell. While they eventually broke free Echunga took it right up to Lofty and got within 3 goals in the 3rd quarter on the weekend and their B grade got beaten, depth maybe an issue at Lofty?

Sounds like Ironbank are serious about moving to the SFL, understandable as they would be top 4 down there, where does that leave the comp going forward? 16 rounds with a couple of byes?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:Sounds like Ironbank are serious about moving to the SFL, understandable as they would be top 4 down there, where does that leave the comp going forward? 16 rounds with a couple of byes?

You realise the SFL is only one division these days, yes? No way would Ironbank be a better side than the current top 5...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 85 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy