NORTH EASTERN F/L

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: NORTH EASTERN F/L

Postby whufc » Tue May 04, 2021 11:44 am

Could be a bunch of one sided results this week....

Riverton look to be one of the top 3 sides and should take care of Burra fairly easily. I expect this though to be one of the closest games of the round.

Southern Saints should get the business done over North Clare who were apparently really ordinary last week.

Sadly South Clare are in for a very long year, had two players play a full b grade game to then plays A's. Expect Min-Man to kick 20-25 here.

BSR should take care of Blyth at home. Blyth on paper look ok but haven't seemed to be able to put it together under the new coach. Only thing I can think of is their star players are now mainly on the other side of 30 and its taking its toll.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am

Some B Grade sides really struggling this year.

South Clare played 5 x 15 year olds and 2 x 17 years olds in their B Grade to fill a team last week.

Blyth planning on taking on the top of table BSR with 15 players this week.

Not good.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun May 09, 2021 9:31 am

Norf Clare with the big upset defeating Southern Saints.........maybe just maybe the Saints aren’t going to be the premiership threat most people thought.

Riverton keeping rolling on, looking very slick, a few people are talking about them as being the real deal.

Min Man easily beat South Clare.

BSR got the business done against Blyth.
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 am

whufc wrote:Norf Clare with the big upset defeating Southern Saints.........maybe just maybe the Saints aren’t going to be the premiership threat most people thought.

Riverton keeping rolling on, looking very slick, a few people are talking about them as being the real deal.

You injured, rested or omitted mate?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 am

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Norf Clare with the big upset defeating Southern Saints.........maybe just maybe the Saints aren’t going to be the premiership threat most people thought.

You injured, rested or omitted mate?

Daughters birthday so was on daddy duties yesterday.

Hopefully back in for the game after the bye but the honest answer is for a 37 year old whose been playing rugby the last ten years that BSR side is a tough one to crack

Also carrying some Achilles soreness after spending the last month doing lots and lots of running to get Aussie rules cardio fit.

At full strength in A and B grade I’m probably not making that side, albeit had a decent game two weeks ago.
whufc
Coach

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Be fair to say not the start to the season the saints were after or expecting

The next game against MinMan season defining?
Considering they also need to play BSR who will be in the mix and we only have the two rounds so early loses hurt
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 46 times

Postby whufc » Sun May 09, 2021 6:37 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:Be fair to say not the start to the season the saints were after or expecting

Considering they also need to play BSR who will be in the mix and we only have the two rounds so early loses hurt

Yeah, I get the feeling they have been somewhat the hunted this year. Every team identified them as a big mover and have been up for the game.

Still think there list is good enough to string a heap of wins together if they get it right.
whufc
Coach

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 pm

I agree
Should be in the 4
However if the they finish the first round 3-4
Everything has to be good in the second round and em they would want the double chance
Really important games vs min man and BSR
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:Be fair to say not the start to the season the saints were after or expecting

Why is there only 14 games?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun May 09, 2021 8:41 pm

Only playing 2 rounds
In the past had 2 rounds plus’s split 3 or 4 depending on year
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Sun May 09, 2021 9:18 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:Only playing 2 rounds
In the past had 2 rounds plus’s split 3 or 4 depending on year

I wondered why that had changed as well, does seem somewhat of a short season
whufc
Coach

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun May 09, 2021 9:29 pm

It has been unfair in the past with the split round with teams making finals based on who they play 3 times due to the unevenness of the competition
Trust me I’ve experienced it 3 times myself
Also
More byes to please people because 2021 commitment to sport is different than 1999
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 09, 2021 10:54 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:It has been unfair in the past with the split round with teams making finals based on who they play 3 times due to the unevenness of the competition
Also
More byes to please people because 2021 commitment to sport is different than 1999

This is so relevant.
Also 14 games saves clubs probably 10k in player payments.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 10, 2021 9:02 am

Arry Gablett wrote:It has been unfair in the past with the split round with teams making finals based on who they play 3 times due to the unevenness of the competition
Also

Yeah agree the 2 rounds 14 games is a much better system for the equality of ladder positions. As you said nothing worse than missing finals by one game and you played the bottom side less than others.

The only debate I have heard amongst players is whether it would be better to have no byes and just have a 'shorter' season compared to the current stretched out version.

I guess if you are injury prone or an old boy having the byes would assist in playing more games throughout the season.
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Why is there only 14 games?

Because the clubs voted this way at the AGM
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby whufc » Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm

3 games in and the first bye, where does everyone think the teams sit.

BSR
Have to be happy both A & B Grade sitting 3-0. Admittedly probably haven't played a side making the finals yet so much bigger challenges to come. Like most teams have been struck with injuries around 10 and still having Sam Martin and Joe Heinjus to come back in is a massive boost and I wouldn't be surprised if they add one to two recruits in before the deadline. Next month of footy will decide if they are genuinely a top 2 side.

RSMU
What a start to the year by them. Undefeated and boom recruit Sam Milne fitting in perfectly. Sam is a very good footballer and an even better bloke, RSMU have done so well to get him. Genuinely look the real deal having beat pre season favourites Southern Saints and genuine top four contented Min Man. Maybe lack a tad of depth with their B Grade being 0-3 but if they stay injury free are premiership contenders.

Min-Man
Solid 2-1 start to the year, lost to Riverton but have beat both the Clare team which they would have expected to do. Their B grade is going well which suggests they have depth at the club. The next month is a huge opportunity for them with genuine winnable games against Blyth and Burra and tough ones against the Saints and BSR. You would think worse case they go 2-2 which still sets them up nicely for a run at the finals. If they go 3-1 in the next month they will be talking top 2.

North Clare
2-1 and the heckle and jeckle of the comp. Beat South Clare like expected and then lost to Min Man as expected. Put the cat amongst the pigeons with the upset against the Saints. Will now have their eyes set on a top 4 spot. Personally I still don't think they can make it but I never expected them to beat the Saints either. Definitely the side to watch. Could very well go 2-2 in their next four games with must wins against Burra and Blyth.

Southern Saints
1-2, the disappointment of the season so far. In saying that they did produce a massive win against Blyth which shows their best potential. They also pushed RSMU which is now looking like a pretty good effort. The upset loss to North will hurt though. Similar to North Clare not sure how to judge them just yet. Hardy is kicking almost 40% of their goals so they will be hoping he stays fit and the weather gods provide dry conditions. Another to watch side. Could win the flag or miss out on finals.

BBH
Talked the big pre seasong game but not sure their delivering. Beat Blyth as they would have expected but then had big losses against BSR and RSMU. Supposedly a big have injury list but to be honest I think they are pretty much where they are at 5-7 positioned side.

Blyth
Currently 0-3 and with a long injury list going to struggle to make finals. Struggling to field in a side in the b grade isn't going to help either so hopefully can get their injured players back on the park. They still have an abundances of quality so i think they have a few wins in them and most definitely will cause an upset or two along the way. With results gone the way they have they are 2 wins away from finals so they are going to need alot to go right for them from here. Positive is they already played RSMU and BSR, so there next month is going to be a tad easier

South Clare
0-3 and sadly in all sorts. I have a soft spot for South knowing a fair few people from there and they are great people. A combination of factors at fault but it is really hard to see them winning more than a couple of games. Struggling to field a b grade which saw them play 5 colts plus had 2 blokes back up from b grade to play a grade as well. Massive fall from grace for last seasons runners up but probably now have to write off this year and get some games into young lads to ensure they stay around for a while to come.
whufc
Coach

Postby Arry Gablett » Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 am

As the results have been this is pretty accurate

I'm expecting BSR RSMU and Saints to make up the top 3 and then everyone was probably expecting Min Man

North Clare were surprising Saturday they have a lot of there good juniors from years past so I believe it will be between them and Min Man for fourth

Of these 5 the teams the ones that don't drop games against each other will finish higher eg Min Man and Saints dropped against RSMU but Min Man beat North and Saints didn't meaning next weeks game vs these two is extra important, Min Man win and Saints are along way back even after 4 games

BSR also to play teams from this group moving forward

It will be an interesting reflection at the end of round 1
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Thu May 13, 2021 10:39 am

Arry Gablett wrote:As the results have been this is pretty accurate

I'm expecting BSR RSMU and Saints to make up the top 3 and then everyone was probably expecting Min Man

North Clare were surprising Saturday they have a lot of there good juniors from years past so I believe it will be between them and Min Man for fourth

Of these 5 the teams the ones that don't drop games against each other will finish higher eg Min Man and Saints dropped against RSMU but Min Man beat North and Saints didn't meaning next weeks game vs these two is extra important, Min Man win and Saints are along way back even after 4 games

Definitely a real interesting season ahead of us. As you suggested I also think the premiers will come from BSR, RSMU, Saints. I might be underestimating Min Man and I just cant see North Clare being a premiership threat. So possibly 3-4 premiership contenders is great for the comp with also 2-3 teams fighting for the fourth position as well.

A Grade NEFL has a pretty bright future at the moment.
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu May 13, 2021 8:36 pm

whufc wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:As the results have been this is pretty accurate

Definitely a real interesting season ahead of us. As you suggested I also think the premiers will come from BSR, RSMU, Saints. I might be underestimating Min Man and I just cant see North Clare being a premiership threat. So possibly 3-4 premiership contenders is great for the comp with also 2-3 teams fighting for the fourth position as well.

A Grade NEFL has a pretty bright future at the moment.

Whya re the Saints a contender? When was the last time they won some silverware? History tends to say you need to be around the mark for a year or three before tasting success.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu May 13, 2021 9:02 pm

Yeah your probably right.

There list just looked so impressive especially as other teams looked to come back to the pack a tad.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy