HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:29 am

Barkeroo wrote:I think the biggest shame is that comp was finally relatively even compared to the years when we had teams getting beaten by 2-300 points each week of a decade or two ago

Correct.
It may be down a little at the moment, but a bit of hard work will pull it through.
I just don't understand, and get angry and sad, why "Div 2" is such a dirty word.
Are the HFL and Div 1 clubs all and only about themselves?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Cougar » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:58 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
Barkeroo wrote:I think the biggest shame is that comp was finally relatively even compared to the years when we had teams getting beaten by 2-300 points each week of a decade or two ago

Correct.
It may be down a little at the moment, but a bit of hard work will pull it through.
I just don't understand, and get angry and sad, why "Div 2" is such a dirty word.

Couple of fair summaries FH

Have heard no whispers of the Gum move and why would they. They've been battling for nearly 40 years and have finally become the big fish of the comp. Why jump out now?

Meadows were never interested in Div 1 when they won 4 flags in a row, why would they go now?

One HFL board member did a great job in getting both the Senior and Junior Colts going in Div 2 in 2023 and hoping that will expand in 2024.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby cracka » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:25 am

Cougar wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

Correct.

Couple of fair summaries FH

Have heard no whispers of the Gum move and why would they. They've been battling for nearly 40 years and have finally become the big fish of the comp. Why jump out now?

Meadows were never interested in Div 1 when they won 4 flags in a row, why would they go now?

One HFL board member did a great job in getting both the Senior and Junior Colts going in Div 2 in 2023 and hoping that will expand in 2024.

Would bigger age groups help. It was about 10 years ago that I suggested

Div 1
U13, U15 & U17.5

Country div
U12, U15 & U18 (then some div 1 kids not quite ready for senior footy might play country div, rather than be lost from football)

Unfortunately it was actually mainly Country div clubs that didn't want that
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby caleb777 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:45 pm

I understand the desire for clubs to maintain some sense of individualism but has the idea of mergers for some div 2 sides been discussed?

Would a combined Meadows/Maccy team be competitive in div 1?

What about a Birdwood/Gumeracha team?

If the desire by the HFL is to get everyone into 1 div (which it clearly looks like it is) than wouldnt it be better having a club than no club?
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:49 pm

caleb777 wrote:I understand the desire for clubs to maintain some sense of individualism but has the idea of mergers for some div 2 sides been discussed?

If the desire by the HFL is to get everyone into 1 div (which it clearly looks like it is) than wouldnt it be better having a club than no club?

Any merger needs to be started by the clubs, it will fail if any league tries to force it.

Agree Meadows/Maccy seems the obvious one, its a huge step but if they did then they would probably attract players from other clubs nearby, as I believe a number of Maccy kids are playing at Strath & Mt Barker. Easy for us to talk about it tho.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Pag » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:07 pm

caleb777 wrote:I understand the desire for clubs to maintain some sense of individualism but has the idea of mergers for some div 2 sides been discussed?

How many teams do they want in this super Div 1? Surely 2 x 8 is better (and more sustainable) than 1 comp of 12-16? It's hard enough to win flags in an 8-10 team comp, make it 12-16 and those moments become even fewer and farther between for clubs, with the gap between top and bottom also widening.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby doubletrouble » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:48 pm

Why don't the Div 1 clubs merge with the Div 2 clubs
doubletrouble
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby wazzal77 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:32 pm

doubletrouble wrote:Why don't the Div 1 clubs merge with the Div 2 clubs

Good point - but I suspect some time in the future these smaller clubs will begin to grow. As Mt Barker gets too big, and employs more people, the smaller towns around will be attractive for families to move to rather than live in suburban Mt Barker.

I think the two divisions should be run totally independently like in the Riverland. Div 2 take control of their own destiny and make their own decisions and choices and leave Div 1 to their own. Ive heard two sides that the HFL is always dealing with Div 2 clubs complaining about Div 1 clubs and vice versa. Split the leagues and if clubs want to switch across then they apply. If clubs want to merge, then it has to come from them, however the HFL and SA CFL should provide them financial incentives to merge if thats what they want to do (grants for guernseys, legal costs for new constitutions, management assistance ) but the league shouldnt force mergers. Its not business, its a not for profit community club, "owned" by its members.
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Under_Scrutiny » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:39 pm

How many points did Torrens Valley get allocated for 2024? Must be close to 50, or they'll have a strong B grade this season.

Is there any players left in Hills Div 1 after they raided it?
Under_Scrutiny
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Toto » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:23 pm

2 players they got from Nairne would be 0 points. While both will be good A graders one played a few games of C grade there last year after not wanting to play at all. The other didn’t play what so ever after mostly reserves the year before I believe. I think they have done well.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Cougar » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 am

Good to see a couple of club legends in charge of their A grade list in 2024.

Kris Dawe and Kane Paus at Meadows and Kersbrook respectively.

And Simon Wise in charge of Bridgewater's C grade for 2024. Was a messy marriage and divorce with Ironbank, but with their juniors set to return to Hills Country this year, hoping they can return with 2 senior sides to Hills Country in 2025.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:45 am

Good to see Bridgy get back on their feet, Im told they will have a full suite of juniors also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby marbles » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:34 am

What clubs are in this division??
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby caleb777 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:34 pm

marbles wrote:What clubs are in this division??

Gumeracha, Meadows, Macclesfield, Kangarilla, Torrens Valley, Kersbrook and Birdwood.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby oldman » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:27 am

Is anyone going to challenge Gums? They were 10+ goals better than everyone except Meadows last year and Meadows have lost a stack of their best players. Gums have only gotten stronger from reports?
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Toto » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:56 am

I wouldn’t have thought anyone would get close. Have heard whispers Meadows have picked up Tim Webber and Dean Terlich. Which are huge gets even at their age for country div. My tip is Gum, TV, Meadows and then daylight.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Cougar » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:48 am

Toto wrote:I wouldn’t have thought anyone would get close. Have heard whispers Meadows have picked up Tim Webber and Dean Terlich. Which are huge gets even at their age for country div. My tip is Gum, TV, Meadows and then daylight.

Bit like HFL Div 1 - Hahndorf, Nairne - daylight :lol:
Gums will always be hot favs with the brothers running around. TV seem to have a few more recruits and will be stronger but there might be more ex Legs recruits joining Brady at Meadows.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:43 am

A good game between Gumeracha & Macclesfield first up with it being a good contest until about halfway through the 2nd quarter but Gumeracha's class certainly came to the fore after that.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy