Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby damian » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I don’t get why they have not lost the points already? You don’t need meetings, it’s clearly been breached. This is an incredibly poor look from an outsider looking in.....

Exactly. Why should it be up to other Clubs to notify the League of another Club breaching the points system. Unlike the salary cap, the points system is meant to be very easy to police any breaches - it’s usually black & white, until the League starts handing out bonus points without notifying other Clubs.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 pm

damian wrote:Clubs voted (7-3 I believe) to have the decision of the League overturned - the point added back to the player from Mount Compass.

What shambles. Action needs to be taken.

President & Secretary have to go.

I cant imagine and would be shocked if there was anyone in waiting to take over these Executive Roles.
They're positions where they're on a hiding to nothing. Things go well, it's expected, things go shit and they're ridiculed.
No different to umpires.

That being said, they need to be accountable.
So my question is - Do the Executive have the power to consider and act upon permits submitted by clubs and vary points allocations to certain players / Clubs etc?
If they do then Clubs should just suck it up regardless of whether they agree or not.

Reading that the Clubs voted 7 - 3 to have the decision overturned confuses me :?

So the Clubs have the right to take a vote on things they dont like the Executive have implemented OR were the Executive completely out of line in not consulting the Clubs in the 1st place and putting it to a vote ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby tigerpie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 pm

Wow and we thought the SFL was a tin pot organisation.
This has dragged on way too long.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Luke15 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:59 am

It has been brought to my attention and also mentioned above that Compass have done it again. They played a player who is a long term A grade footballer at Port Noarlunga as a 0 Pointer. I am not all over the points system to be honest but have been told he didn’t play in 2020 which is probably why compass thought they could play him as a 0’pointer but my understand is 2020 games didn’t count and you need to look at 2018 and 2019 which definitely makes him a 3 pointer.

Now even if we counted 2020 he would still be a 1 pointer which puts compass over yesterday. My mate who informed me of this issue tells me that last year or the year before in the Ammos a team stuffed up their points allocation and they had the game resulted win plus the points scored in the game wiped from before the week ended.

My question is why didn’t this happen after round 1 whether it was an innocent mistake with Skrypek or not and surely now having done it again, it happens on the result from yesterday
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:24 am

jackpot jim wrote:
damian wrote:Clubs voted (7-3 I believe) to have the decision of the League overturned - the point added back to the player from Mount Compass.

What shambles. Action needs to be taken.

President & Secretary have to go.

I cant imagine and would be shocked if there was anyone in waiting to take over these Executive Roles.
They're positions where they're on a hiding to nothing. Things go well, it's expected, things go shit and they're ridiculed.
No different to umpires.

That being said, they need to be accountable.
So my question is - Do the Executive have the power to consider and act upon permits submitted by clubs and vary points allocations to certain players / Clubs etc?
If they do then Clubs should just suck it up regardless of whether they agree or not.

Reading that the Clubs voted 7 - 3 to have the decision overturned confuses me :?

So the Clubs have the right to take a vote on things they dont like the Executive have implemented OR were the Executive completely out of line in not consulting the Clubs in the 1st place and putting it to a vote ?

The debate about why you would want to do it is a completely different point. The end of the day there are the majority of clubs that are on the wrong end of this and their recruiting is structured around this in a lot of instances. Just because a club makes a last minute application that now finds them over in points because proper avenues weren’t seeked in the first instance it doesn’t make it right - Even if the powers that be who made the decision had the right intentions. Clubs on the wrong end have a right to be absolutely fuming IMO.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bluebagger » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:02 pm

The South Australia Country Footy points system is fairly amateur to be honest.

To have clubs actually allocate points is wrong in the first place.

And then to have a system that allows a club to place a young kid on the bench and play 2 minutes of footy to gain a point makes no sense.

The Victorian points system makes a lot more sense and it’s not able to be manipulated. It also is run so sitting kids on the bench doesn’t actually allow you to play higher pointed players
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:29 pm

Surely its as simple as make one mistake you get a formal warning, every mistake after that for the rest of the season means you have all points for the match removed.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby tigerpie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Surely its as simple as make one mistake you get a formal warning, every mistake after that for the rest of the season means you have all points for the match removed.

So pick the game you want the "mistake" to happen then.
And its very difficult to make a mistake, its basic maths.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Surely its as simple as make one mistake you get a formal warning, every mistake after that for the rest of the season means you have all points for the match removed.

So you just let them get away with it then?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby tigerpie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

Absolutely not.
Should've had their points taken off as soon as it was apparent.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby damian » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:21 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

Absolutely not.
Should've had their points taken off as soon as it was apparent.

Yep, exactly. Rules state that the team shall lose all points for and the Premiership points for the match/es they exceed their allocated points.

Compass should be 1-2 right now with horrendous percentage.

Premiership points are not awarded to Goolwa/Port Elliot or Encounter Bay.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am

Looking at the weekends game Tom Dix was 0 pointer, but played at Port Noarlunga in 2019, I'm no expert but how does that work?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby scottroo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 pm

It doesn’t

Unless he’s a junior he should be 3 points

He played majority a grade in 2018 and 2019
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mutton cove » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 pm

It is apparent that Compass have no respect for there leagues membership partners and even and even less respect for the leagues volunteer administrators. This must not be tolerated.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Luke15 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:20 am

mutton cove wrote:It is apparent that Compass have no respect for there leagues membership partners and even and even less respect for the leagues volunteer administrators. This must not be tolerated.

And what i am hearing is: League have admitted they should have picked up on this and are reverting Tom Dix back to a 3 pointer, BUT because the league didn't pick up in the first place they are saying it is not Compass' fault and not taking the result off of them.........

What i dont get is? Even if the League didnt pick up on it, you cannot tell me that Compass and their A grade coach who has been doing it for a long time does not know the rules???

It is total disrespect for the Comp and everyone in it.

And Finally which shows exactly what compass are like, i am hearing they feel "hard done by" and want to take it further to get it reversed :shock:

You cannot be serious if true
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Pag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:27 am

Luke15 wrote:
mutton cove wrote:It is apparent that Compass have no respect for there leagues membership partners and even and even less respect for the leagues volunteer administrators. This must not be tolerated.

And what i am hearing is: League have admitted they should have picked up on this and are reverting Tom Dix back to a 3 pointer, BUT because the league didn't pick up in the first place they are saying it is not Compass' fault and not taking the result off of them.........

What i dont get is? Even if the League didnt pick up on it, you cannot tell me that Compass and their A grade coach who has been doing it for a long time does not know the rules???

And Finally which shows exactly what compass are like, i am hearing they feel "hard done by" and want to take it further to get it reversed :shock:

Isn't it the club's responsibility to know the correct points value of their players? It is in town anyway.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby field of dreams » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:29 pm

Luke15 wrote:

WTF??

Rd 1: Johnson 4, Grove 3, Skrypek 2, Mott 2, Haniford 1, Hooper -1 = 11/11 (Haniford given 1 point reduction but Skrypek SB 3 not 2 so still over)
Rd 2: Johnson 4, Grove 3, Skrypek 3, Mott 2, Haniford 2, Hooper -1, Nash -1 = 12/11
Rd 3: Johnson 4, Grove 3, Skrypek 3, Mott 2, Hooper -1 = 11/11 (Haniford in Bs, Dix plays at 0 SB 3 so still over)

If this is correct they haven't got it right yet this year but no penaties?
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby scottroo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:36 pm

Dix selected again tomorrow
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby field of dreams » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:55 pm

scottroo wrote:Dix selected again tomorrow

Team same as last week - possibly not final. Clubs often put that across as a starting point.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Changing their name to "No Moral Compass"

It is a clubs responsibility to get the points right and up to the club to check with the authorities if they are not sure. The reality is that many league officials (particularly those who long pre-date the introduction of the points system) are not the best to give a definitive answer and if you have a tricky one then you MUST check with the SACFL, preferably in an email, to get your correct answer.

With MC - some benefit of doubt with Skrypek because I believe a little bit of grey with whether he was 2 or 3 points but the "residential relief" for Haniford is a complete furphy that has never existed and thinking Dix is anything but 2 or 3 points is complete ignorance.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy