Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Bull 04 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:35 pm

Luke15 wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:Has a Zone squad been announced yet? Will be interesting to see if any of the guy's who refused the offer to play association footy are going to make their way into the squad, given it's going to be played locally?

Can confirm that lots of players who did not play Association have been invited to Zone

I can confirm this also.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Cheap Seats » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Bull 04 wrote:
Luke15 wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:Has a Zone squad been announced yet? Will be interesting to see if any of the guy's who refused the offer to play association footy are going to make their way into the squad, given it's going to be played locally?

Can confirm that lots of players who did not play Association have been invited to Zone

I can confirm this also.

This is an issue that needs some looking in to. It devalues the association match participation, and the players that represent their leagues.

If a player refuses to play association footy based on the age limit to not have to provide a reasonable explanation (30 years old), they should become ineligible for Zone representation. If they have given reasoning such as injury or previous engagements that were accepted by selectors at the time of league selection, then they should still be eligible.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 pm

How many would put their hand up for Zone but not Association? I cant imagine it would be many, neither games get paid.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby damian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:45 pm

daysofourlives wrote:How many would put their hand up for Zone but not Association? I cant imagine it would be many, neither games get paid.

By playing zone you put yourself in a position represent SA Country.

Has generally been a pathway to State football.

GSFL - Club football
Selection in the GSFL Association Team to play against the SFL.
Selection in the Southern District Zone Team (GSFL, SFL & KIFL) to play at the State Country Championships.
Selection in the South Australian Country Team to play against Western Australia.

I have no issues with players that were unavailable for Association football due to injury to be selected in a Southern District squad, but if you miss for any other reason it should be bad luck.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby Bull 04 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 am

damian wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:How many would put their hand up for Zone but not Association? I cant imagine it would be many, neither games get paid.

By playing zone you put yourself in a position represent SA Country.

Has generally been a pathway to State football.

GSFL - Club football
Selection in the GSFL Association Team to play against the SFL.
Selection in the Southern District Zone Team (GSFL, SFL & KIFL) to play at the State Country Championships.
Selection in the South Australian Country Team to play against Western Australia.

I have no issues with players that were unavailable for Association football due to injury to be selected in a Southern District squad, but if you miss for any other reason it should be bad luck.

Its legit that some who may be sore see it as an opportunity to freshen up for the remainder of the season and also some have work commitments. A good measure is whether they make themselves available for their club the week after or not.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:10 am

damian wrote:
Mistakes are all it takes to be breaching rules & losing points.

I was told that McLaren tried to put James Mathews on the team sheet. They couldn’t put him on using SportingPulse as he is still registered with the Crows Reserves team.

They tried to get the clearance rushed through or see if they can get it done later. At this stage they’re unsure on that so they hand write his name on team sheet and exchange with Pongy.

Mathews sits on the bench for most of the first quarter then I guess theyre told they can't play him so they grab Mutton from the crowd, warm him up and submit a new team sheet.

I’m not saying this is 100% factual, this is just what I’ve been told at this stage.

Mclaren got a $100 fine and a reprimand, seems you can change your team sheet halfway thru the game and its only going to cost you small change, a new tactic for all clubs to implement? :shock:

Or just new version of the injury sub, GSFL style? :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby mutton cove » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:43 pm

An honest mistake.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby damian » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:43 pm

mutton cove wrote:An honest mistake.

What was the mistake? Can you tell us what actually happened? From what I hear (could be severely exaggerated), it was a lot more than a simple mistake.

If it was a mistake, when will Goolwa/Port Elliot Women’s have their points reinstated?
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:00 pm

damian wrote:

What was the mistake? Can you tell us what actually happened? From what I hear (could be severely exaggerated), it was a lot more than a simple mistake.

If it was a mistake, when will Goolwa/Port Elliot Women’s have their points reinstated?

The inconsistent rulings and lack of transparency by the GSFL Exec simply puts an * on the whole seasons results which is a pity given the majority of Clubs and Volunteers that do their best to do the right thing by the Constitution, By Laws and Guidelines that they are duty bound to follow.

FWIW
Round 11

Compass by 60 over Bays
Willunga by 20 over Strath
McLaren by 30 over Victor
Creeks by 40 over Gool/PE
Myp/Sell by 30 over Yank
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 pm

damian wrote:

So this is what happened:, McLaren were told that it was fine for the Crows player to play, but were unable to have completed the permit on time. They had hoped to get the OK from Myponga, under mutual agreement, but were unable to do so. So he sat on the bench until 1/4 time. Nothing wrong yet! The issue is when they (McLaren) replaced him with another player after the game had begun (at 1/4 time).
I agree, Goolwa's points loss is an over reach against a developing sport, given the multiple breaches in the league from experienced football people who DO know better.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby Luke15 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:29 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
damian wrote:

So this is what happened:, McLaren were told that it was fine for the Crows player to play, but were unable to have completed the permit on time. They had hoped to get the OK from Myponga, under mutual agreement, but were unable to do so. So he sat on the bench until 1/4 time. Nothing wrong yet! The issue is when they (McLaren) replaced him with another player after the game had begun (at 1/4 time).
I agree, Goolwa's points loss is an over reach against a developing sport, given the multiple breaches in the league from experienced football people who DO know better.

In regards to the Goolwa issue i reckon it is ridiculous. The Female player in question is a Goolwa player and to take points away from them is an absolute disgrace especially as Cheap Seats states in a developing sport for Women.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
damian wrote:

Told by who ?
Didn't complete the permit on time ? Well in that case that means he CAN'T play
So getting mutual agreement from the other team supersedes completing the permit on time ? Why should that be the case?
Unable to get mutual agreement so with no permit McLaren name him on the team sheet and sit him on the bench anyway ?? :roll:
Then replace him at quarter time and alter the teamsheet ?

Is that all correct?

If so , how could anyone think that's acceptable :? :?
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby cracka » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:51 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:
damian wrote:

Told by who ?
So getting mutual agreement from the other team supersedes completing the permit on time ? Why should that be the case?
Unable to get mutual agreement so with no permit McLaren name him on the team sheet and sit him on the bench anyway ?? :roll:

Is that all correct?

They were probably thinking its acceptable under the Compass Clause of the GSFL By-laws :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby damian » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
damian wrote:

Say on the bench until quarter time and nothing wrong with that? That still counts as playing. If you’re named on the team sheet, you don’t have to take to the field to have ‘played’ the game.

There’s two breaches;

1. Playing an unregistered player - James Mathews was registered with Adelaide, not McLaren and started the game on the bench and team sheet.
2. Altering a team sheet after a game has begun - swapping Mathews out for Mutton.
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby mutton cove » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Let's not forget the extra points that we're given to Compa$$ after crying, then the transgressions on the team sheets resulting in no penalty or loss of points. And they sit top of the premiership ladder. Probably working on next seasons concessions.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:
damian wrote:

Told by who ?

Is that all correct?

Just to clarify- I don't agree with the way it was handled either. I was pointing out the explanation that has been used, and after re-reading my post I can see how you thought I WAS SAYING "Nothing wrong yet"I should have had a :roll: in there to make clear my sarcasm. The reason they (McLaren) got in trouble was swapping a player after the game had started, not the fact they had an unauthorised player on the team sheet :roll: :shock:
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:15 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
Just to clarify- I don't agree with the way it was handled either. I was pointing out the explanation that has been used, and after re-reading my post I can see how you thought I WAS SAYING "Nothing wrong yet"I should have had a :roll: in there to make clear my sarcasm. The reason they (McLaren) got in trouble was swapping a player after the game had started, not the fact they had an unauthorised player on the team sheet :roll: :shock:
[/quote][/quote]

Yep, All good.

So if it was a $100 fine and a reprimand, thats a very soft penalty if you could even call it a penalty. Hardly a deterrent for sloppy management whether it was a genuine oversight (doubtful) or a genuine attempt to knowingly bend the rules to the limit.
Like if they wern't sure Mathews could play or not they simply should NOT have submitted the team sheet with his name on it.
Simple !
The fact they sat him on the bench for a 1/4 was a clear admission they were unsure.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby luv a kick » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:54 pm

:^o =))
They wrote him on the team sheet because the computer said NO
luv a kick
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby luv a kick » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
Snap Kick Ninja wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:I hate to say it, but it appears on the surface Luv a kick is correct about Ryan Kelly:

Southern Football League (SA) Port Noarlunga (3 point league)

Previous Seasons
COMPETITION SEASON M LAST G MG MGV TIB
A GRADE 2019 2019 17 2019-09-08 12 2 Noarlunga 11
Port Noarlunga 2019 17 2019-09-08 12 2 Noarlunga 11
A GRADE 2018 2018 18 2018-09-09 18 4 Morphett Vale 11
Port Noarlunga 2018 18 2018-09-09 18 4 Morphett Vale 11

It appears L.U.K. might have stumbled on to yet another miscarriage of the COVID rules here, as having player a 35 league games in 18 and 19, there is NO WAY he is only worth 1 point. The GSFL has done it again??? :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll:

I cant understand why this league executive team believe they can reduce individual player points, and appear to have done so on multiple occasions?
The one point off any player for all clubs is an absolute joke too.

You’re going to complain about a team that hasn’t made finals since 2007, and I don’t know the full details on why he went down points but he’s had his first game back from a knee reconstruction on Saturday, getting a few points off him? All of this was sorted and fully known by all the clubs early in the year, it’s not in the same conversation as the Mt compass debacle. It’s a fair leg up for a team that’s been shit for a long time.

Maybe wait and see what comes out of McLaren over the next few days, changing their team sheet at qtr time?

I certainly understand your point, and would like to see Myponga be more competitive, but it really doesn't/shouldn't matter if you're top or bottom. The points system is there to be a completely transparent process, by which the rules are Black and White, and cannot (should not in the GSFL case) be altered for any player or club with a reduction in an individual players points. They have received 17 points this year anyway, so that's approximately 6 players on top of their local 0 point talent pool, and 2 points more than the normal maximum. I'd say they have had a decent leg up given the facts as I know them, and if the GSFL stopped giving hand outs to the stronger clubs of the past 5-6 years, maybe they wouldn't have to try to get these extra points to struggling clubs in an underhanded way.

18 games in 2018, 17 in 2019 and 2 at Myponga in 2020, means a 2 pointer in anyone's language. No 25 game rule applicable and no 24 month rule applicable. MUST BE corrected.

Round 11 v Yankalilla
Ryan Kelly 1pt ... Hmmm double standards if you haven't made the finals in a while
luv a kick
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Bull 04 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:41 pm

Anyone seen any squads yet for the zone footy? Its on soon and I cant see a thing anywhere.
Bull 04
Mini-League

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy