What is Julian's background scottroo?
Where did he play before Maccy?
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby scottroo » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:09 pm

Aaron played for Maccy his whole life (he lives there) won an underage mail medal when his team won 3 games for the year, named VC of the A grade as an 18yo, knocked back invites from sturt and wont play anywhere but maccy
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby PPLions » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:56 am

Who about Mackie?
Is he still there? He was a good player.
And the forward with the red hair. I can't remember his name. He was always quite good during the tough years at Maccy. Was it Heinecke or something?
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Was talking to Julian recently Scottroo (forgive me if you are the poster who was known as scumbag on footysa) and he admitted that he hadn't talked to Sturt since he stopped training with their under 19's a couple of years ago due to their inflexible training program, which costs them and other clubs quality juniors. Is a top player though who will only get better given the fact that he is only 20 years old. Saw him running laps of the oval a couple of weeks ago while I was at cricket training.
Damian Mackie is a quality player and had and excellent first half of the season last season.
The redhead you referred to PPLions was a guy called Leith Kamprod who had some attributes to be a top quality forward (namely pace and great strength) but he couldn't mark a ball in his hands and he had the turning circle of the Queen Mary when the ball hit the deck and he tended to sulk when things didn't get done to suit him, which wasn't very often. Despite these shortcomings I think he still kicked a half century for us on a couple of occasions. Kamprod will be 34 this year and I think his last season for the bloods was in 2003.
Heinicke was another good forward for us who is still playing at the moment and having some success.

Probably played against you Lions, as I played at Maccy for three seasons from '99 to '01.
Heinicke is a
Last edited by ORDoubleBlues on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby PPLions » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Cheers for that ORDoubleBlues
Yep I would have played against you on that magnificent Maccy paddock
I think 99 may have been Dave Schulz's era at the Lions?
I cant remember
Man he was a gun for us
Just worked very hard and had a great build for footy
Yes Kamprod was who i was thinking of. Good player. Did well in an ordinary team.
Other good players I can remember from Maccy were the Pope brohers and the onballer Vainetti.
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:16 pm

Yeah Lions I had the difficult task of tagging Schulz in 2000 and 2001 ('01 at Gumeracha)
Depends what time of year it was Lions, If it was before the middle of June, it would have been a good oval - after that, terrible!!
In my time, your club and ours had 1 all results against each other for the 3 years.
Remember a really short bloke for you who always seemed to be handy without being outstanding, a darkish long curly haired player who always seemed to play well against us. Mark Eichler of course. A great servant of the club called Vanderzyld (spelling) who always gave hisalJoel Jantke and the Perryman brothers, who only came on the scene in '01.
Darren Pope could have been anything if he had put his mind to it.
Andrew Pope's last season for Maccy was in '98 before he moved to Darwin for good.Remember he almost won a game off his own boot as an 18 year old against a quality Pleasant Valley outfit in '93.
Vaninetti was a quality player for us who we had to let go after the end of the 2000 season as he wanted money and at the time all he was going to be for us was the difference between 8th and 9th. Played quality A1 football for Edwardstown in 2001 and got some big coin from Marion (where he played with his old sparring partner Mark Eichler for one season!!) and Barossa Districts in the last few years. Doubt anyone will pay him this year and he claims that he won't play at all but don't be surprised if he ends up having a swansong for the Bloods, given his ties and that he gets on well with Lallard.
Last edited by ORDoubleBlues on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby scottroo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:59 pm

ODB, I am Scumbag!!! Aaron will develop into one of the best Talls to play HFL, has all the attributes and is 100% commited to Maccy, will play 300+ a grade games up there...you know his dad? im a family friend of the Julians
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:12 pm

Don't know Terry all that well but I think he would still recognise me if we passed each other in the street.
Aaron's committment to Maccy is admirable and is great for the club.
Should be a very competetive year in HFL country division this year.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PPLions » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:18 am

Yes Blues we always had some great matches against Maccy
I think we both looked forward to a chance for a win
The Popes were all class. Very talented. Darren Pope seemed a bit lazy.
The short guy may have been Paul Simpson, or it coud have been the 1 good game iI ever played .
I played in 01 with the Peryman boys and in fact brought them to the club with my Pt Pirie conection
(I know play with Lions in Pirie obviously)
Scott Peryman was outstanding in 01 when we were basically a 1 man team
You must have ben quite good if you had to tag Schulz. He was great. Very hard at it too.
Cheers. Brings back good memories!
Last edited by PPLions on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:25 pm

I was more of a solid rather than spectacular player who sometimes got negating jobs, regardless of the opposition player's height, speed or position on the ground. At various times I had to mind Paues (could get a bit dirty if you got on top of him), Shane Russell (Milang), Greg Mullins, Stuart Wells.
Darren Pope was a huge talent who I know came through the ranks at South at the same time as Chris Groom, Randall Bone and a few others who I can't think of off the top of my head. One of those rare players who was still getting monitored years after he dropped out of the junior system. As far as I'm aware the club was still getting the odd phone call from Harry Kernahan right up until he was 22 years old. Andrew wasn't quite as talented but had more natural fitness and was more of a hardnut who got a bit dirty towards the end of his Maccy career.
Maccy certainly had their fair share of talented players over the years but I think the football sometimes got in the way of the social side of things as far as a few players were concerned. The bad culture can probably be traced back to the club's last premiership in 1980 when a lot of local legends and other recruits were bought back for the centenary year (yes centenary! Believe it or not Maccy is actually one of the oldest clubs in the state and was origionally part of the Adelaide league in the early days when the main horse and cart drag ran through Maccy!) and after the ensuing premiership, hardly anyone gave a flying f***. In the first couple of years after that flag, the club won the right to go up to Division 1 and get flogged with a team that was only a shadow of the one that won the '80 flag.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PPLions » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Well you are very much in my mould then!
I tagged Paues and Levett from Kersbrook
Some bald headed guy from Ironbank a few times
Wells was far too big for me
He was a good player
I got the impression though that he wasn't the toughest player out there
Shane Russell was very good. Is he at Ironbank now? I remember in a Prelim Final one day at Gumeracha he kicked 10 goals from Centre. I think Schulzy kicked 8!
Milang had a good side that year with that Smith at CHF

Do you know anotther good player from Maccy I forgot, but who I remembered as I tagged him a few times - that Axon. Was it Grantley Axon? Stocky wingman. Had 1 great year and then dropped offa bit. Very very quick.
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:04 pm

Grantley Axon. Yeah, Maccy got the best out of him in '97-98 and in '99-00 he just didn't seem interested but then again we were lucky to get him in the first place as he was a starting wingman for Mount Barker in Div 1. Was rumuors going around that he was on the juice and having seen him a few times without a shirt on, it wouldn't have surprised me. If not, he was very genetically gifted. I remember one day against Ironbank in '99, I almost had my ribcage rearranged in a total act of filth by Ironbank's Gary Campbell (good player but a cheap shot artist - he rarely got players when they were in a position to defend themselves) and while I was on the ground trying to catch my breath, I was told that Grantley flew the flag for me and came in to unleash a solid volley of hits while Campbell's teamates tried to usher him to safety. Ironically immediately after that incident, Campbell was removed from the ground not to return for the second half. Either their own coach was disgusted (unlikely, I know) or he was concerned that Campbell was going to become a human punching bag!
Don't know what Schulz' early history was (if he was at a higher level before Lobethal or not?) but I would put him in the category of someone who definitely could have played some quality SANFL football. Remember he had a brother who carved up in '98 and then just gave it away.
Yes Russell was at Ironbank but he has left in the last couple of months with destination unknown.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PPLions » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:39 am

Yep Axon was HUGE
He did play some good footy for Maccy
Dave Schulz initially played at Lobethal
He played for the HFL in Association games, then gave it away for a while only to return to TV where he was oustanding and later Gum where I thought he was quite good but not as good at TV
I think he was on a fair bit of $$ at Gum
Dave's brother Steve was god too
I remember he kicked 7 against Maccy one day at Maccy as an oballer and didnt get a medal vote
Campbell was very skilful but I agree that he seemed to be a bit of a sniper at times
He and Mark Eichler had quite a few verbal batles
The other guy who played Ok for Maccy at times was Ben Slack
I thought he was Ok
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:49 pm

Brings back good memories for me as well Lions. As you may know a regular contributor to this forum and this topic, SpiderK, played for the United Eagles during this period.
Ben Slack would have been a better player if he could have ever got him fit. Someone who could 60metres off only a couple of steps. Is a gun cricketer who has played for SA country on several occasions and we have luckily got him to play for us this year.
Seems amazing that Schulz didn't get a medal vote for the game against Maccy given that he won the medal that year didn't he, so he certainly would have been a known commodity to the umps.

On a separate note it looks like recruiting is coming along quite nicely at Echunga where it looks like Mullins has talked David Ridge and Glen Highett to pull on the boots again as well as a few others.
Does anyone know if Peter Young(the Echunga player) is still playing football anywhere these days? A huge talent who was a matchwinner and was at Norwood from '96 to '98 where they apparently rated him quite highly but he always broke down and had his jaw rearranged one day by a Glenelg player in '96 when he was apparently dominating the reserves match.
His brother Martin was probably even more talented but despite his hardness on the field it seemed that it was hard to get him back out on the paddock after a long injury lay off.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PPLions » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:06 pm

Now Ive remembered another Maccy player
Rick Clayton
The reason I remember him is because I think he played inter-league footy when he was in Div 1
He might have played at Uraidle or somehwere like that
We thought he was going to be a gun when he came to Maccy
But in the games he played against us he didnt have much of an influence
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby spiderk » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:39 pm

PPLions, ORD - does reading this bring back some memories for me of playing!!

I was at Callington for 8 years (despite a somewhat ignorant person from that club writing an ill-researched letter in the Budget this year, mentioning me as playing there "for a short time". I was there a fair bit longer than him...) right through the finals charge of 1998, right down to when we were getting beaten by 40 - 50 goals one season. In one of those games, Stuart Wells had kicked 8 goals in the first qtr (!) from full forward, so I went on to him. He kicked 8 more for the match, but, when they kicked 50.24 or so to our 0.0, I wasn't too disappointed (got 2nd best for the club that day, but pretty hollow after such a bad loss).

Played with David Ridge, Greg Mullins and Glen Highett - all different styles of players but all game breakers at their best. The three of them at Echunga will still cause headaches for opposition, particularly if Glen is over his injuries. Grantley Axon and Leith Kamprod were also at the club in the first season, top blokes, and very thorough in their preparation at training etc.

Rick Clayton was an underrated player in his time, got the job on him a couple of times. Was fortunate in never getting the job on D. Schulz, but had enough to contend with in the reserves over the years when I got Ken Sheldon to tag one week and Michael Aish a couple of years after. Still oozed class although undoubtedly past their prime. Slacky has really kicked on with the cricket in the last couple of years, went to England either last year or year before with it.

Played - and coached - at Milang the year after Shane Russell left, so didn't get the chance to play with some of their best. Dan Smith is who I think you were referring to, he was there last year but rumour has it, may be staying in the city this year, along with some of the others who commuted last year. Coaching them was an extremely interesting, frustrating, sometimes rewarding experience that taught me a lot.
spiderk

Been liked: 0 time

Postby PPLions » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Wow
Great stuff Spiderk
Coaching Milang would have been a huge challenge. Well done for taking that on.
Wells was a very good player playing in a good team. I was never sure why he was playing at that level. I would have thought he could have performed at a higher level but maybe he'd done that before.
With the Eagles, apart from the players you mentioned I remember an onballer called Christian or Tristan or something. He was always around the mark, and seemed to be a stalwart of the Club.
I also remember an athletic aboriginal player who I think was a talented high jumper. He was good.
PPLions
Under 18s

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks for your input on this one Spider. Yes, it was a daunting to play on Wells in a bad side. I remember him kicking ten on me one day at Ironbank in 2001 when we got beaten by 40 goals.
Lions I'm pretty sure before he came to Ironbank he was the CHF for Goodwood Saints in A1 amatuers and he played for the State Amatuers on a couple of occasions.
Rick Clayton was a quality footballer but I believe he was one of those players who played better in better sides. Was a regular in the best players in his time at Bridgewater (didn't go there til he was over 30) and did play interleague football as you stated. In his time at Maccy he seemed to really turn it on in games where we pulled off an upset or got close to doing so.
Spider, I remember playing against Milang in the first game of 2002 at Maccy and they certainly had lost a lot of players from the year before. No doubt Darren Curyer must have had some influence on your decision to go there.
Lions, to steel some of Spiders thunder the athletic player you were referring to was a guy called Ron Garlett who handed one of the best vertical leaps you will ever see. One of his marks that he took against us in '99 was the best mark I've ever seen outside of AFL/SANFL football (Spider will be able to back me up on this one). As far as I'm aware he actually jumped Olympic qualifying standard in the High Jump, which was 2.18m, and I've got a feeling the actual jump was closer to something like 2.28m. Christian Johnson was certainly a quality player on his day.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:01 pm

Funny you should mention Wells - I broke his nose once, blood everywhere and had to go off the ground - IN CRICKET!!! and I was bowling leggies!

Mind you if hes been playing footy for ages I dare say its been hit around a few times therefore wouldnt take much of a knock to damage it again, is he still playing footy?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Woops.... Found out tonight that my cover has been blown amongst some of the faithful at Maccy. Hope no one takes anything too personally that I have said but I just called it as I saw it at the time(s).
They have signed a few more players apparently with one of them being quite significant (had a decent stretch in the SANFL). Promised that I wouldn't name him at this stage but I'll only keep to that for a fortnight as I'm sure the Courier will have published it by then anyway.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy