2%
Salisbury
12%
St Pauls OS
No votes

Total votes : 42

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

Postby mal » Mon May 06, 2024 6:32 pm

I was an inaugural player for the Renown Park Football Club after the merger with Brompton and Alberts Sports club in 1983
I played cricket and football for those teams

The club later became the current Fitzroy Club

There were many personalities in my playing days
Some of the players were Phil and Steve Barrett and a rover Sammy Heywood- Smith [ Smith in his last name?]
These guys were all boxers as well being hard tough footballers.

Getting thrashed is going to happen to clubs at various stages
FWIW The Elizabeth boys may not realise at it now, but they are kind of famous
The players in years to come will have a yarn or two to speak off
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1164 times
Been liked: 922 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 am

morell wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:Says as much about Fitzroy as it does Elizabeth. Poor form IMO

Agree, far more embarrassing by Fitzroy

Disagree. It’s A grade football. Celebrating and carrying on like taking a picture in front of the scoreboard after the game is a seperate conversation…

It's division 6 non professional "A" grade football

As soon as they got 40ish goals up they needed to practice some circle work and throw the magnets around

Putting up 82 goals is pathetic and demeaning. Only thing they achieved is to humiliate people who are no doubt volunteering their time to keep their club alive. Absolutely no need beyond that.

Elizabeth aren't shying away from their time in the limelight from this, don't think I've seen them miss a photo opp.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7513 times
Been liked: 10808 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 07, 2024 10:05 am

Alright here's my final solution... Move Elizabeth from D6 to D6R, and have a bye in D6.

Benefits:
More balanced competition for Lizbeff
Easier to move players between B/C grade and field sides rather than with B grade bye.
A graders get a couple extra weeks off to freshen up.

Downside:
Earlier games (10:15 and 12:15) - perhaps tinker with start times so home clubs aren't heavily impacted.
A Grade missing two games during the season - who cares, not any different to B grade at the moment.
Some clubs may only get one game for the weekend, or if they forfeit, get none - well that risk remains even with them in the A grade comp.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Arch44 » Tue May 07, 2024 10:36 am

mal wrote:I was an inaugural player for the Renown Park Football Club after the merger with Brompton and Alberts Sports club in 1983
I played cricket and football for those teams

The club later became the current Fitzroy Club

There were many personalities in my playing days
Some of the players were Phil and Steve Barrett and a rover Sammy Heywood- Smith [ Smith in his last name?]
These guys were all boxers as well being hard tough footballers.

Getting thrashed is going to happen to clubs at various stages
FWIW The Elizabeth boys may not realise at it now, but they are kind of famous
The players in years to come will have a yarn or two to speak off

Hi Mal,

On the 25th of May we are having our first 100club for the season which is pretty much like a past players day.
Very welcome to come down mate.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 07, 2024 11:41 am

The Bedge wrote:Alright here's my final solution... Move Elizabeth from D6 to D6R, and have a bye in D6.

Benefits:
More balanced competition for Lizbeff
Easier to move players between B/C grade and field sides rather than with B grade bye.
A graders get a couple extra weeks off to freshen up.

Downside:
Earlier games (10:15 and 12:15) - perhaps tinker with start times so home clubs aren't heavily impacted.
A Grade missing two games during the season - who cares, not any different to B grade at the moment.
Some clubs may only get one game for the weekend, or if they forfeit, get none - well that risk remains even with them in the A grade comp.

Yeah this would work pretty well.

I tend to agree with you in the sense that Elizabeth somewhat 'made their own bed' not your words, by not cooperating / full disclosing their situation to the league until it was to late.

I know Elizabeth are absolutely struggling but should there be an alternative repercussion from the league for their mismanagement. Its not completely unthinkable that given the publicity, been a proud club with a bit of coin etc that they cant bounce relatively quick especially if old players return.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 07, 2024 11:49 am

A concern I have with Lizbeff at the moment given their publicity - and yes this is a selfish stance - but what happens if one of these clubs battling for the 5 come up against them and they've promoted the club and brought in a stack of celebrity "ring ins" who play the one game and effectively impact that other clubs chances of playing finals or a top 3 spot.

Rd 12 for instance they host Houghton, or Rd 16 Ingle Farm, or Rd 17 Rosewater.. imagine Rosies going out there Rd 17 needing to win and suddenly being met by a team of one off guns all for promo purposes.

If they play B grade, less impact on clubs - might still cost a club a finals spot still, but clubs are build around their A grade and promotion / relegation is around the A grade.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 07, 2024 11:57 am

The Bedge wrote:A concern I have with Lizbeff at the moment given their publicity - and yes this is a selfish stance - but what happens if one of these clubs battling for the 5 come up against them and they've promoted the club and brought in a stack of celebrity "ring ins" who play the one game and effectively impact that other clubs chances of playing finals or a top 3 spot.

Rd 12 for instance they host Houghton, or Rd 16 Ingle Farm, or Rd 17 Rosewater.. imagine Rosies going out there Rd 17 needing to win and suddenly being met by a team of one off guns all for promo purposes.

If they play B grade, less impact on clubs - might still cost a club a finals spot still, but clubs are build around their A grade and promotion / relegation is around the A grade.

Think you're fair in what your saying.

Thats why i posed the question should the ADFL consider a 'punishment' for Elizabeth for the disruption they 'will have' caused this year due to lack of clarity/mismanagement etc. Whatever way you spin it for whatever reason it was Elizabeth who lost their coach and players 4 weeks before the season.

Obviously, they are suffering with the whopping's they are getting at the moment but should in theory they be allowed to have all the blokes who left return next year in div7, go and win a flag and be back in div6 in 2026.

Is it unfair for the league to try and hold clubs more accountable and punish clubs whose mismanagement affects numerous other clubs. Almost a bringing the competition into disrepute.

Too harsh and unfair maybe.
whufc
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue May 07, 2024 12:04 pm

The Bedge wrote:A concern I have with Lizbeff at the moment given their publicity - and yes this is a selfish stance - but what happens if one of these clubs battling for the 5 come up against them and they've promoted the club and brought in a stack of celebrity "ring ins" who play the one game and effectively impact that other clubs chances of playing finals or a top 3 spot.

This is a good point, heard yesterday Daniel Gorringe was gonna put his hand up for a game. Whilst he's no megastar, he'd be pretty bloody handy in Div 6, you'd think. Elizabeth have 12 of 15 points available, too, so that could be 3 or 4 guns
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 85 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 07, 2024 12:30 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:

This is a good point, heard yesterday Daniel Gorringe was gonna put his hand up for a game. Whilst he's no megastar, he'd be pretty bloody handy in Div 6, you'd think. Elizabeth have 12 of 15 points available, too, so that could be 3 or 4 guns

Yep the Joel Selwood one is gaining momentum as well. Could be all rumors however.

Srey from marmalade is an ex Elizabeth junior and its not unfathomable to think they will get a bunch of lads together to have a run, wont be a huge performance difference but none the less.
whufc
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm

whufc wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:

Yep the Joel Selwood one is gaining momentum as well. Could be all rumors however.

Srey from marmalade is an ex Elizabeth junior and its not unfathomable to think they will get a bunch of lads together to have a run, wont be a huge performance difference but none the less.

If the Marmalade boys play the 516 record is in danger. If bringing in guys who have made a living pretending to be a sandwich short to a 68 year old football club with a proud history is the solution then i need to find a new job and pastime.

Nothing against Shrey and Checkers and their shtick. They are funny guys and have met them multiple times and like them. If they come into this though then a horrible situation that is hurting many becomes an absolute joke.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue May 07, 2024 1:04 pm

Great point, you don’t want another scenario like the SFL in the mid 2010’s when the Footy Show flew Shane Crawford to play for Aldinga. They deliberately missed 3-4 opportunities in the previous rounds to play the top 5-6 sides and they waited to play OSB Lonsdale who at the time were also struggling. From the players I knew, they said pregame preparations were treated poorly by the Chanel 9 production team and left players waiting around so Sam Newman could do a skit. Crawford dominated and Aldinga won which I thought was a disgrace from the SFL for allowing that opportunistic circus to take place at the expense of OSB. Nothing stopped them from doing in the weeks earlier.
Last edited by LaughingKookaburra on Tue May 07, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bluedemon » Tue May 07, 2024 1:09 pm

I heard that Sunrise is on board as one of the sponsors for the year
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue May 07, 2024 1:28 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Great point, you don’t want another scenario like the SFL in the mid 2010’s when the Footy Show flew Shane Crawford to play for Aldinga. They deliberately missed 3-4 opportunities in the previous rounds to play the top 5-6 sides and they waited to play OSB Lonsdale who at the time were also struggling. From there players I knew said pregame preparations were treated poorly by the Chanel 9 production team and left players waiting around so Sam Newman could do a skit. Crawford dominated and Aldinga won which I thought was a disgrace from the SFL for allowing that opportunistic circus to take place at the expense of OSB. Nothing stopped them from doing in the weeks earlier.

And the same SFL board is still in place today, sadly...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby Arch44 » Tue May 07, 2024 1:46 pm

Bluedemon wrote:I heard that Sunrise is on board as one of the sponsors for the year

Yes they are, that's where the Joel Selwood tongue in cheek rumour came from Mark Beretta
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 07, 2024 1:54 pm

From the pen of the CEO

For and on Behalf of the League Executive

To all League Delegates

Bcc: AdFL Clubs, League Executive, Rules and Regulations Committee, Constitution Committee, Honorary Counsel and Staff.

There has clearly been some narrative on the plight of the Elizabeth Football Club (EFC) in recent days and weeks. But for any to suggest The League had or has not explored alternative solutions to avoid this attention is naïve at best, ignorant at worst.

Whilst ours is not to speak on behalf of the EFC, on the surface they have endured an exodus of players of monumental proportions and the reasons for that are theirs to navigate.

From the moment we returned in the new Year, The Update was littered with pleas to all clubs to prioritise the registration process along to offer us a greater level of comfort in competition composition. It became apparent the EFC wasn’t the only club enduring on and off field challenges in 2024 and our dilemma had been how to separate one club over the other and when we can’t see clear air, we revert to the Constitution and Rules and Regulations that govern this League and they will not be comprised if for no other reason than a significant reference point known as the Associations Act.

For clarity, any club, the EFC included could have or could in the future propose a motion even by circular resolution for the League to take leave from its regulations and in this case, regrade. Our only counsel to that would be that such a resolution without identifying the domino affects also sets a new precedence The League may need to navigate in the future.

It is crucial to note that the last time a club (Kilburn FC) requested their fellow member clubs consider an application to be regraded to a lower division was resoundingly defeated at a Special General Meeting. Prior to that, the Wingfield Royals and Ovingham Football Clubs requested the same from the General Committee and were denied. It is a brave League Executive Committee to go against the wishes of its member clubs after a question has been asked and answered three times in the last nine years with near unanimous conclusions.

In February and March 2024, approaches were made by The League to other clubs to gauge their appetites to allow any of the clubs who had indicated challenges to move to lower graded competition and in turn for those clubs to move to higher graded competitions. As was their right, those clubs chose to main in the divisions their 2023 performances suggested they should be.

To be clear, there is only one division lower than Division 6 that the EFC is currently graded and that was and remains full.

But, whilst it may suit the agenda and narrative of some to suggest the League and the EFC are at odds over this matter, the EFC is acutely aware that whether timing, logistics or governance, there was little The League could do short of them moving to Division 7 and a Division 7 club to Division 6 and that required cooperation.

The Elizabeth Football Club’s position in the League for 2024 and 2025 is secure albeit with some conditions for 2025 to satisfy most notably, to field two senior teams. Those conditions are also relative to at least one other club and whilst two of the four clubs who were advised of this condition earlier in the year have recovered to field two teams, all clubs are aware of what is required as per the Rules and Regulations and The League has gone to great pains to ensure they are as is our responsibility.

Whilst to be discussed further whether at a General Committee Meeting or reminding all in preparation for season 2025 vie The Update, this should serve as a living example of the need to have clubs and players understand the importance of Registration and if the lessons here are for clubs to implement higher levels of discipline so they might at the very least give themselves a chance to avoid similar, then it’s a valuable lesson learnt.

Suffice to say, The League does not enjoy a focus of this genre on one of its member clubs or the league itself. We appreciate the look of the scoreboard images being used as headlines across all forms of media is difficult to comprehend. But all clubs should be under no illusion that alternatives were explored that did not pass any of the challenges of the clubs experiencing those challenges on to other clubs and divisions by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I remain open to discuss this at any level.

Regards

John Kernahan | Chief Executive Officer
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1741 times
Been liked: 2148 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 07, 2024 1:55 pm

Geez mate you could've tidied it up and removed all those spaces between paragraphs! :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 07, 2024 2:37 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:

Not sure if he’s doing for engagement but Dan Gorringe has announced on his tik tok that he will play for Elizabeth.

Didn’t say how many game etc but said he is 100% suiting up
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 07, 2024 4:36 pm

Next week vs Units - celebrity players, support from Central Districts who apparently are home that day, players from Gawler Central who are former Eliz players.

Media want to run with this while there is momentum, and Units is a potential game to win.

Guys like Gorridge, Betts, Burgoyne, Goldsack are zero pointer along with some other big name recruits from a couple years ago, so won’t impact points.

Sunrise onboard as a sponsor and word is potentially another one ready to drop a big sum to help.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue May 07, 2024 5:26 pm

And then everyone goes back to their day jobs and the floggings continue.

It worked for Aldinga, they're still shite!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Tue May 07, 2024 5:31 pm

Gowans twins in!!! Ironic the gowans will be eagles taking on dogs haha
whufc
Coach