SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu May 01, 2014 11:46 am

Where your argument falls down is that for the players who are straight out of First XVIII footy, they're 0 pointers anywhere.

A kid who has played all his footy at PAC and his juniors at Walkerville is a 0 pointers for PACOC, Walkerville, Smithfield, Barossa Central, Adelaide Crows whomever.

You allude to the problem to the kid who plays all his footy at PAC and Walkerville, then in 2014 plays 15 league games, then returns to community football. This provides a minuscule advantage to PAC.

I'd suggest you'd find that a vast majority of OC players would be zero pointers primarily on the basis of having their OC side being their first ever senior club.

I say this having nothing but hatred and ridicule for most OC sides.[/quote]
That's a pretty strong statement to make against OC especially since its only Amatuer football. Not Professional football. "Hate" is a very strong statement that normally goes with really bad stuff.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:46 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
This is the problem with the Old Scholars Bloc and the point systems. These clubs contribute nothing to the development of junior footballers and don't field junior sides, yet get rewarded with a larger pool of potential 0 point players than a district club that has had to run junior programs in order to have a fraction of the 0 point players available to them. All because of some loose connection to a school, they get a free ride.

The Old Scholar Bloc still well and truly have control of the Ammos

In contrast I bet if you speak to the heads of each schools sports department they will say they contribute greatly to the development ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby wassprinttospace » Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 am

heater31 wrote:
This is the problem with the Old Scholars Bloc and the point systems. These clubs contribute nothing to the development of junior footballers and don't field junior sides, yet get rewarded with a larger pool of potential 0 point players than a district club that has had to run junior programs in order to have a fraction of the 0 point players available to them. All because of some loose connection to a school, they get a free ride.

In contrast I bet if you speak to the heads of each schools sports department they will say they contribute greatly to the development ;)

BOS have even had people within the school 'encourage' players to play at a club they are associated with ... and many others stay with or move back to their junior club ...
wassprinttospace
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Blackfriars OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 01, 2014 11:59 am

jo172 wrote:
wassprinttospace wrote:
So... from that I gather 100% of BOS have a strange devotion to their high school.

Or are they there to improve their employment prospects and hence there are other benefits? Still related to money.

Impressive that a team that has existed for less than 10 years and has no juniors has such a devoted following from what you are implying.

The club name has the schools name in it but that's where the association starts and finishes, other than the oval they play on is leased by the school from the Adelaide City council. There is no 'old school tie' or 'boys club' at BOS. Just lads playing footy.

Where your argument falls down is that for the players who are straight out of First XVIII footy, they're 0 pointers anywhere.

A kid who has played all his footy at PAC and his juniors at Walkerville is a 0 pointers for PACOC, Walkerville, Smithfield, Barossa Central, Adelaide Crows whomever.

You allude to the problem to the kid who plays all his footy at PAC and Walkerville, then in 2014 plays 15 league games, then returns to community football. This provides a minuscule advantage to PAC.

I'd suggest you'd find that a vast majority of OC players would be zero pointers primarily on the basis of having their OC side being their first ever senior club.

I say this having nothing but hatred and ridicule for most OC sides.

That there is the problem. There would be a number of players who would play for a club and also for the school. If they shift to an Old Scholars team the first year out of high school then fine, they have done nothing to accrue points.

However a player may continue on at the club instead (in your example Walkerville) until they are 22-23 and an established A-Grade footballer. Why is that player able to be recruited as a 0 point player for Blackfriars (or any other)? They have never played for that club and have no connection to that club other than a very loose connection to a high school he attended 5 years ago (as explained so well by wassprinttospace above).

My club cannot claim a player as zero points just because he attended Christies Beach High School 5 years ago yet has played all his footy elsewhere just because we have a similar name.

Face it, the Old Scholars Bloc are being given a free kick, to the expense of the hard working district clubs.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby WOS Dragons » Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Our players and coaches work with the school coaches to try and develop not only the link between the old scholars and the school but also the the players themselves so they are more ready for senior football. We have players who volunteer their time to go to both year 6/7 trainings and senior school trainings.

A lot of junior clubs are run completely independantly of the senior clubs anyway with their own comittees, coaches and other support staff and the seniors offer not much more by way of support than old scholars sides do to the school program.
WOS Dragons
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Arch44 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:18 pm

Yank Man wrote:
carey wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Also nice to see that absolutely NO ONE here has heeded my prior warnings.

I've been a good boy!!!! :D

And me.

I guess we haven't been drunk for a few days PG lol :lol:

Me too FC, too much work makes Jack a dull boy. :D So time to get normal....... Rosie's will spank BOS, best team I've seen since my time in Div2 days. :D Lakes are average and will struggle to make the 5, West Croydon are front runners and don't work both ways, and Ingle Farm are full of posters. Am I banned yet? :D :D

How are West Croydon meant to work both ways when they kick 38.35 or something against your mob which I guess you are basing your comment from?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 pm

WOS Dragons wrote:Our players and coaches work with the school coaches to try and develop not only the link between the old scholars and the school but also the the players themselves so they are more ready for senior football. We have players who volunteer their time to go to both year 6/7 trainings and senior school trainings.

A lot of junior clubs are run completely independantly of the senior clubs anyway with their own comittees, coaches and other support staff and the seniors offer not much more by way of support than old scholars sides do to the school program.

Agree, some at Walkerville would be shocked to learn there is a senior club!

I think one anomaly the Community Football Board/SAAFL should address is the clubs who get to "double dip" by having juniors and an Old Scholars connection. That is clubs like SHOC, SMOSH, Unley/Mercedes etc.

Particularly with the SMOSH and Unley Mercedes examples what's to stop every club forging alliances with random high schools for the points advantage. Hectorville could become Hectorville Norwood Morialta and be able to effectively "double dip"
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 726 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu May 01, 2014 1:24 pm

jo172 wrote:Particularly with the SMOSH and Unley Mercedes examples what's to stop every club forging alliances with random high schools for the points advantage. Hectorville could become Hectorville Norwood Morialta and be able to effectively "double dip"

Would that be a bad thing if clubs connected more with schools in the area?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Deleted

Corrected from above
Last edited by jo172 on Thu May 01, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
jo172 wrote:Particularly with the SMOSH and Unley Mercedes examples what's to stop every club forging alliances with random high schools for the points advantage. Hectorville could become Hectorville Norwood Morialta and be able to effectively "double dip"

Would that be a bad thing if clubs connected more with schools in the area?

It could potentially be a very good thing. Would need to be tightly regulated so it's not exploited though. Otherwise you could quickly see the Hectoville Norwood Morialta Marryatville Glenunga Charles Campbell Hounds
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:That's a pretty strong statement to make against OC especially since its only Amatuer football. Not Professional football. "Hate" is a very strong statement that normally goes with really bad stuff.

I never really watched OC, I heard good reports about it though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7946 times

Postby zedman » Thu May 01, 2014 1:40 pm

jo172 wrote:
WOS Dragons wrote:Our players and coaches work with the school coaches to try and develop not only the link between the old scholars and the school but also the the players themselves so they are more ready for senior football. We have players who volunteer their time to go to both year 6/7 trainings and senior school trainings.

I think one anomaly the Community Football Board/SAAFL should address is the clubs who get to "double dip" by having juniors and an Old Scholars connection. That is clubs like SHOC, SMOSH, Unley/Mercedes etc.

Particularly with the SMOSH and Unley Mercedes examples what's to stop every club forging alliances with random high schools for the points advantage. Hectorville could become Hectorville Norwood Morialta and be able to effectively "double dip"

good point..they get mercedes college old scholars and also the unley juniors who can all be potential zeros..do unley high school old scholars also fall into the UMFC umbrella as zeros? i would think not but perhaps jetters can confirm this for us..i know in the past a lot of UHS students/players were sort of aligned with the old UFC..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1081 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 pm

wassprinttospace wrote:
heater31 wrote:

BOS have even had people within the school 'encourage' players to play at a club they are associated with ... and many others stay with or move back to their junior club ...

Had six old Blackfriars scholars play for Fitzroy against BOS last weekend.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

How many "Old Scholars" are playing at Mawson's still?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Riddler » Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:How many "Old Scholars" are playing at Mawson's still?

In the A Grade only 4 plus the Coach is one
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu May 01, 2014 5:07 pm

The Riddler wrote:

In the A Grade only 4 plus the Coach is one

Isnt there any playing in the B's and C's?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Informer » Thu May 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Doesn't matter if they are a old scholar or what, the league decided 2 seasons ago that any old scholar from St Paul's that goes to Mawson Lakes attracts points if they played majority of A grade games at there previous club the season before.

Mawson lakes has no affiliation with St Pauls in relation to points.

The don't get old scholars for 0 points
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 pm

zedman wrote:
jo172 wrote:

good point..they get mercedes college old scholars and also the unley juniors who can all be potential zeros..do unley high school old scholars also fall into the UMFC umbrella as zeros? i would think not but perhaps jetters can confirm this for us..i know in the past a lot of UHS students/players were sort of aligned with the old UFC..

Good question, I think Unley started its life as Unley High Old Scholars, so there is every chance they are triple dipping
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Jetters » Thu May 01, 2014 5:53 pm

zedman wrote:
jo172 wrote:

The club started out as Unley High OS, but no longer have an official affiliation.

This is a an almost redundant argument. The Merc college kids we get are straight out of school, so they are zero points for everyone. No one comes back from other clubs. If they did (which they don't) we would get a slight advantage.... which would only matter if were close to the points ceiling (which we're not) and what ever minor advantage we get is justified by the effort the school and club has put into the college footballers.

I don't get how people think college clubs are going to be so significantly benefited. I can't see how any college club in Div 4 and below will into Divs 1-3. I can see merit in the double dipping argument on its face, but in reality its next to zero, and for it we do extra work.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby jo172 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Jetters wrote:
zedman wrote:
jo172 wrote:

The club started out as Unley High OS, but no longer have an official affiliation.

This is a an almost redundant argument. The Merc college kids we get are straight out of school, so they are zero points for everyone. No one comes back from other clubs. If they did (which they don't) we would get a slight advantage.... which would only matter if were close to the points ceiling (which we're not) and what ever minor advantage we get is justified by the effort the school and club has put into the college footballers.

I don't get how people think college clubs are going to be so significantly benefited. I can't see how any college club in Div 4 and below will into Divs 1-3. I can see merit in the double dipping argument on its face, but in reality its next to zero, and for it we do extra work.

I suppose the real situation is what happens when a Mercedes College kid who played all his junior footy at Goodwood, then goes and plays 2 years of reserves for Sturt before entering the SAAFL arises.

On the face of it to me it seems a bit unfair that he's worth 0 points to Unley-Mercedes considering he grew up playing his juniors against Unley.

EDIT - This is where the distinction is between the kid who went to PAC and played his juniors at Walkerville. When he goes back to PACOC at least he's never played against PAC before.
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League