Junior Footy Players Welcome at the Rams

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Footy Players Welcome at the Rams

Postby Pearcey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Have heard of a few incidents lately where some success obsessed coaches are trying to poach, and indeed have poached, talented players, i.e. 11, 12 or 13 year olds, from other clubs with the suggestion that they are far more likely to be drafted if they change clubs.
I'm interested to know if someone can tell me the names of all the boys who, at the age of 12 or 13, have been drafted straight from NEMJFA clubs.
I haven't seen too many 13 year olds on the field for the Crows, Power, Collingwood etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why can't these kids or their parents see what a big lie this is?
There are kids in SANFL special squads who play for local teams which don't win too many games. If they are good enough to make a special squad then they have as much chance of a footy career as a kid from a team which may be unbeaten.

What do you think?
Pearcey
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Gepps Cross

Postby JS SPORTS » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Pearcey wrote:Have heard of a few incidents lately where some success obsessed coaches are trying to poach, and indeed have poached, talented players, i.e. 11, 12 or 13 year olds, from other clubs with the suggestion that they are far more likely to be drafted if they change clubs.
I'm interested to know if someone can tell me the names of all the boys who, at the age of 12 or 13, have been drafted straight from NEMJFA clubs.
I haven't seen too many 13 year olds on the field for the Crows, Power, Collingwood etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are kids in SANFL special squads who play for local teams which don't win too many games. If they are good enough to make a special squad then they have as much chance of a footy career as a kid from a team which may be unbeaten.

What do you think?

Pearcey, it's nothing more than an 'ego trip' for the coach and the club should be sanctioned if they promote or condone this. Mind you, parents have a part to play in this also, some want to live out their sporting inadequacies/fantasies through their kids, that's a sad state of affairs too!
There was a club a few years ago in a junior comp you know very well who went to all ends to "poach" kids under the pretence it would be better for their footy development. It was even suggested that inducements were offered by this club which was vehemently denied of course.

The Junior leagues must become more proactive to ensure this cannot happen.
JS Sports is committed to deliver the highest level of quality products and services and ensuring customer satisfaction is achieved
JS SPORTS
SAFooty.net approved advertiser

Location: 98 Rundle Rd Salisbury South, directly opposite the hangars at Parafield airport

Postby Pearcey » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:17 pm

There was a club a few years ago in a junior comp you know very well who went to all ends to "poach" kids under the pretence it would be better for their footy development. It was even suggested that inducements were offered by this club which was vehemently denied of course.

Nothing's changed, believe me!
I can't believe that a coach would guarantee a kid a certain position on the field in every game, if he switched clubs, when that team already has the 2 best players in that position in NEMJFA.

I know of a club which attempted to poach a NEMJFA B&F by inviting him to have a run with them and and tried to get his signature by claiming it was an insurance form!
Fortunately this youth never had any intention of playing for that club.
Pearcey
Rookie

Postby blackcat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:28 pm

I was told that GX payed their under 17's??? This is going back a few years though. 4 or 5 years ago maybe?
blackcat
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby aceman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:09 pm

blackcat wrote:I was told that GX payed their under 17's??? This is going back a few years though. 4 or 5 years ago maybe?

Blackcat, I've been there a very long time and never,ever have the U/17's been paid to play anything!

Not that it's probably worth much but I'd stake my life on it!
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby blackcat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:46 pm

I thought it wouldn't be true. You would know the bloke that told me, played for Geppies for a couple of years. Two words RED HEAD
blackcat
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby aceman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 pm

blackcat wrote:I thought it wouldn't be true. You would know the bloke that told me, played for Geppies for a couple of years. Two words RED HEAD

Do you mean "Sauce Calliess"?. Oh my godfather!
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby big red supporter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:38 am

pearcy you have touched a nerve with me on the poaching juniors thing i can say as a fact that the team i coached last year had 2 players persued by a certain club my best and fairest player was contacted 1 day after he was announced b&f and the other good player was hounded by same club for nearly 2 months i was astounded by this when i was told and im not talking under 12 or 13 im talking under 10's it has destroyed my my admiration of that club and i now have a very dim view of them but im glad to say both boys will still be with us this year but i agree with you it is disgusting at junior levels for clubs to be making promises they could not possibly know if they can keep.

ps - Although i follow and have a passion for the big reds my eldest son is now playing for gepps cross (no he wasnt poached) so i guess i will be going there a bit to watch him so if you see a big red shirt floating around a under 15 game im not looking to poach just watching my son.
big red supporter

Postby Rotter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:19 am

Pearcey wrote:Have heard of a few incidents lately where some success obsessed coaches are trying to poach, and indeed have poached, talented players, i.e. 11, 12 or 13 year olds, from other clubs with the suggestion that they are far more likely to be drafted if they change clubs.

What do you think?
Just out of interest Pearcey, can you tell me what would happen in the following scenario and it may have something to do with it. Player A is playing U/13's at club A and is coerced or even through more honorable reasons ends up at Club B in the NAJFA before ending up at SANFL club C before being drafted to AFL Club D. Who in that tangled web is entitled to the AFL allocation of the $50K cash upon player A being drafted. If you get my point.........
Rotter
Under 18s

Postby Pearcey » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Just out of interest Pearcey, can you tell me what would happen in the following scenario and it may have something to do with it. Player A is playing U/13's at club A and is coerced or even through more honorable reasons ends up at Club B in the NAJFA before ending up at SANFL club C before being drafted to AFL Club D. Who in that tangled web is entitled to the AFL allocation of the $50K cash upon player A being drafted. If you get my point.........

I THINK the boy has to have played at least 30 games for a single club for Under 13's and older for them to receive the SANFL/AFL 'rebate'. If he played 29 games at each of two clubs then my understanding is that neither club would get a cent.

I don't think that too may parents appreciate that some clubs are desperate to poach these kids in their early teens, not for the immediate benefit of the player, but that they will be a 'cash cow' if they ever get drafted.

It's the same in soccer where a club will sign a talented 16 or 17 year old for 3 years in the hope that he will be lured to some 'D' grade club overseas and they will get $100,000 for a transfer fee. How do you think State and local league soccer clubs get so RICH?
Pearcey
Rookie

Postby Pearcey » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm

pearcy you have touched a nerve with me on the poaching juniors thing i can say as a fact that the team i coached last year had 2 players persued by a certain club my best and fairest player was contacted 1 day after he was announced b&f and the other good player was hounded by same club for nearly 2 months i was astounded by this when i was told and im not talking under 12 or 13 im talking under 10's it has destroyed my my admiration of that club and i now have a very dim view of them but im glad to say both boys will still be with us this year but i agree with you it is disgusting at junior levels for clubs to be making promises they could not possibly know if they can keep.

ps - Although i follow and have a passion for the big reds my eldest son is now playing for gepps cross (no he wasnt poached) so i guess i will be going there a bit to watch him so if you see a big red shirt floating around a under 15 game im not looking to poach just watching my son.

I think I've figured out who you are and thanks for bringing your son to Geppies. It is one of his new team mates that a club up Grand Junction Road tried to poach this year.

One thing to remember, though, is that school yard approaches from mates are fine. It's just when an official of a club approaches a kid who has no association with that club at all that it becomes unethical.

We have boys playing cricket at Geppies who play footy at other clubs and we have no worries about asking them and their parents if they were interested in playing footy for us too. It's up to them but we don't pressure them or hound them in any way. We had a few good kids from IF approach us last year and we told them that unless they had real issues to deal with there then they were better off staying there.....so many went to Pooraka instead!!
Pearcey
Rookie

Postby Pearcey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:33 pm

We have a boy in the Under 13's cricket team who plays footy for another club, but he has mates at Gepps, and we asked him if he was interested in playing footy for us. Found out today that his dad coaches his footy team. Probably won't be coming to Gepps!

http://www.ramsjfc.co.cc
Pearcey
Rookie

Postby Pearcey » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:10 pm

The Rams will be holding a fund raiser for the Victorian bushfire appeal on Sunday, March 1.

Details here:

Pearcey
Rookie

Postby Pearcey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Just a quick comment re poaching, judging by a couple of boys who have returned after checking out the situation elsewhere, (meaning that they were the subjects of poaching attempts), the grass is DEFINATELY NOT always greener elsewhere.
Pearcey
Rookie

Postby Rotter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm

Pearcey wrote:We have a boy in the Under 13's cricket team who plays footy for another club, but he has mates at Gepps, and we asked him if he was interested in playing footy for us. Found out today that his dad coaches his footy team. Probably won't be coming to Gepps!

Pearcey, could that be regarded as poaching given you knew he plays for another club :lol: :lol:
Rotter
Under 18s

Postby Pearcey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Pearcey, could that be regarded as poaching given you knew he plays for another club

In this case he used to play footy for Gepps X, he came to play cricket for us this season - so he has an association with us, we didn't go and knock on his door or phone him out of the blue, and he asked us about playing as many of his former Gepps X footy team-mates are also in the cricket team.

In my opinion poaching is when a kid has no association with a club but an adult representative of that club contacts him and tries to persuade him to go there.

If a kid or his parents enquire about moving clubs then that's definately not poaching, unless some reward is offered like free boots or no fees, that sort of thing.

Also if we run into a kid who played for another club and was not happy there then we have every right to ask him if he wants to play for us.

The new players who have joined us this season have all said they left their previous clubs because they weren't happy.
And you know the biggest reason they give us is when they have played in a team with the coaches son and a 'clique' forms around the coaches son and if you arn't one of his mates you are treated like s**t.

One kid who may quit footy because of the reason above was the leading goal kicker in a premiership team last season and, because he wasn't part of the 'clique', was given no credit for his part in the team success and never got a pat on the back for his efforts. All because he wasn't a mate of the coaches son.
Last edited by Pearcey on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcey
Rookie

Postby hearts on fire » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 pm

I remember a few years ago, Gepps Cross were trying to get players to play for them for fifty bucks.
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Felch » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:33 pm

hearts on fire wrote:I remember a few years ago, Gepps Cross were trying to get players to play for them for fifty bucks.

I know a club that used to entice U17s to play with beer cards !!! :shock:
Felch
Assistant Coach

Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby blackcat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 pm

NH????
blackcat
Under 16s