Postby human_torpedo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 am

Please don't get Jo172 started on the College clubs point system set up
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Re: Ch9AFL Division 1 - 2017

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:25 am

You're correct that the vast majority of blokes it's their first senior club and as such are zeroes anywhere. Where the Colleges perhaps see the benefit of these zero pointers are the ones whose first senior club is in the SANFL/AFL and as such would be worth significant points upon their return to the C9AFL (unless they are zero pointers to their Old Colls/Junior Club).

My suspicion is that each Old Colls Club has a handful of these, but as these blokes generally have the higher profile, they tend to grate more.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1204 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Trader » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 am

jo172 wrote:You're correct that the vast majority of blokes it's their first senior club and as such are zeroes anywhere. Where the Colleges perhaps see the benefit of these zero pointers are the ones whose first senior club is in the SANFL/AFL and as such would be worth significant points upon their return to the C9AFL (unless they are zero pointers to their Old Colls/Junior Club).

My suspicion is that each Old Colls Club has a handful of these, but as these blokes generally have the higher profile, they tend to grate more.

Is there some way to confirm this number? Are players points available to the public in sportingpulse or some other system?

I would guess that the numbers of these guys at college sides wouldn't be far off the number of guys in a similar boat returning to a "district" club where they played juniors.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:44 am

Trader wrote:
jo172 wrote:You're correct that the vast majority of blokes it's their first senior club and as such are zeroes anywhere. Where the Colleges perhaps see the benefit of these zero pointers are the ones whose first senior club is in the SANFL/AFL and as such would be worth significant points upon their return to the C9AFL (unless they are zero pointers to their Old Colls/Junior Club).

Is there some way to confirm this number? Are players points available to the public in sportingpulse or some other system?

I would guess that the numbers of these guys at college sides wouldn't be far off the number of guys in a similar boat returning to a "district" club where they played juniors.

Which is essentially where the debate lies in that should Old Collegian clubs be entitled to the same discount junior clubs are.

We could get into that debate again, but I'm fairly certain everyone's positions have been set out numerous times on here. Up to the Clubs/CFB to see if they want to do anything about it, or are content with the status quo.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:00 am

Interestingly you describe it as the same...

jo172 wrote:Which is essentially where the debate lies in that should Old Collegian clubs be entitled to the same discount junior clubs are.

FWIW I agree it's the same thing.

What surprises me is others that say its an advantage...

jnr8 wrote:I still would still suggest that these college teams have too much of an advantage

These college teams have the biggest advantage ever
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:07 am

Trader wrote:Interestingly you describe it as the same...

jo172 wrote:Which is essentially where the debate lies in that should Old Collegian clubs be entitled to the same discount junior clubs are.

FWIW I agree it's the same thing.

What surprises me is others that say its an advantage...

jnr8 wrote:I still would still suggest that these college teams have too much of an advantage

These college teams have the biggest advantage ever

I think the (perceived) advantage is the greatly increased player pool and school rules which force students to play a winter sport at the exclusion of playing the same sport for other institutions (i.e their local club).

The increased player pool is entire perception. The odds of Johnny who is a reliable Full Back for the Fifth XVIII going on to register somewhere other than the Old Colls side first, play at a high enough level to be worth points, then come to the Old Colls Club at 0 points would be exceedingly rare.

There's also a perceived advantage in that an Old Colls Club may not put in the same resources towards the operation of college football relative to a community club and its junior arm. Having said that, my suspicion is the involvement of every Old Colls Club in its College arm, and indeed every senior football club in its junior arm would differ.

Why should a senior football club which shares nothing with its junior club but for colours, a name and an oval be more entitled to a points discount to an Old Collegians Club which at the least shares colours, a name and often an oval?

If the Old Colls discount were to be removed you would think a far more sensible approach would be trying to delineate where the body which competes in the C9AFL actually contributes to junior football. This of course is an entirely subjective measure and impossible to fairly replicate.

At the end of the day, if we're going to have APPS, this system probably makes as much sense as any other.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:19 pm

It is escalated when the player was originally "recruited" to the college on a scholarship due to their football ability.

Not too many district clubs recruiting junior players with anything like that I should think.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

It is escalated when the player was originally "recruited" to the college on a scholarship due to their football ability.

Not too many district clubs recruiting junior players with anything like that I should think.

I think scholarships make up a very small minority.

Having said that, query whether the TPPS rules should extend to make past payments a "football payment" (rather than merely payments that season).
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Clubs are voting on Monday week whether they want exactly the same salary cap conditions as our country cousins

so did they vote or not
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:40 pm

jo172 wrote:

Having said that, query whether the TPPS rules should extend to make past payments a "football payment" (rather than merely payments that season).

What percentage of say PNU's u16s/18s go to their old scholars club after school finishes up ? I'd think you retain a fair whack no?
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
jo172 wrote:

What percentage of say PNU's u16s/18s go to their old scholars club after school finishes up ? I'd think you retain a fair whack no?

Very few U16s who go to a College end up playing U18s as between first XVIII commitments and SANFL commitments they don't have the time. It is rare for PNU to ever see those U16s again and most end up at their Old Colls club (the running joke when we play ROCS is that it's an internal trial).

The inverse of that is i can only think of a few examples of U18s starting senior football elsewhere.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:00 pm

16's is a hard grade to keep those kids.
I know when my kids were playing at Fitzroy all the Blackfriars kids stayed with their club, pretty sure Broadview are the same. A couple drifted over to the Old Scholars after a couple of years but not many.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:11 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:16's is a hard grade to keep those kids.
I know when my kids were playing at Fitzroy all the Blackfriars kids stayed with their club, pretty sure Broadview are the same. A couple drifted over to the Old Scholars after a couple of years but not many.

My suspicion is that the relative gradings of the clubs (quite reasonably) plays a part in the players decision. Broadly speaking PNU juniors who go to colleges are sprinkled around PAC, SPSC, Rostrevor, Pembroke and St Ignatius which all have bloody strong D1 or D2 Old Colls sides.

I imagine Walkerville get it worse, to the extent they don't fill an U16 side.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Fricky » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:15 pm

jo172 wrote:

My suspicion is that the relative gradings of the clubs (quite reasonably) plays a part in the players decision. Broadly speaking PNU juniors who go to colleges are sprinkled around PAC, SPSC, Rostrevor, Pembroke and St Ignatius which all have bloody strong D1 or D2 Old Colls sides.

We're hoping to have one up next season.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:09 pm

jo172 wrote:

I reckon Uni have copped the brunt of the changing of the guard.
Back in the old time, you joined Uni if you wanted to play A1 because most Old Colls were A3 or A2 for a year or 2. Hell, Uni even played their B Grade in A3!
Now that the Old Colls clubs are taking it more seriously, they can offer D1 (albeit off and on with D2/D3).

I agree with BOP in that it is all cyclical. I doubt we will have 6 sides next year. A group of older B Graders went to Murrayville which caused big problems in the C5 side as they would have either played in C3 or there
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby jo172 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:08 pm

From what I understand if you look into the not too distant past it was compulsory to play for Uni while enrolled? Ditto Teachers College?

I know my old man was forced to play lacrosse for Uni rather than his club side
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:19 pm

jo172 wrote:From what I understand if you look into the not too distant past it was compulsory to play for Uni while enrolled? Ditto Teachers College?

Not sure about that.....
But some very good Uni footballers weren't Bloched from getting into the degrees they wanted
You did have to be a a Teachers College student to play for the Penguins and leave when you'd graduated
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby zedman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:17 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
jo172 wrote:From what I understand if you look into the not too distant past it was compulsory to play for Uni while enrolled? Ditto Teachers College?

Not sure about that.....
But some very good Uni footballers weren't Bloched from getting into the degrees they wanted
You did have to be a a Teachers College student to play for the Penguins and leave when you'd graduated

very good.. ;)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Not sure about that.....

Teachers College were the penguins? 8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1743 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby retired60 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Anyone heard or able to confirm the rumour that Nathan VanBerlo might be 'Red' next year?
retired60

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League