Young coaches.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Young coaches.

Postby Jetters » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm

cracka wrote:
Jetters wrote:I think 24 is too young. Definitely for A grade, may handle it in B grade with the right support.

The issue is not understanding of the game, it is being able to manage people and for an A grade coach being the figure head of a club.

If the young coach has had experience in their professional lives in teaching/coaching/leadership roles they may be equipped to do it.

Having said that, most coaches no matter their age are rubbish, have little idea about coaching and are just loud passionate supporters.

I really hope you are a coach & are just taking the p!ss.

Certainly not!
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Magnum Force » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 am

I just beat you WUB I was 26 when I coached my first senior flag :)
I'm kind of a big deal, people know me
Magnum Force
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 am

Magnum Force wrote:I just beat you WUB I was 26 when I coached my first senior flag :)

it's not a competition mate ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Groover » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 am

I think it depends on what other roles the person has within the club. To just coach is one thing, but to coach 1 side, then have to play in another from what I have seen doesn't really mix well. 1 of the 2 sides (coaching or playing (if not both)) will suffer IMO.
I hope that he has a good assistant coach whom he can call on when he has to go prepare himself to play. If a good assistant is in place then that will help relieve some of the pressure that he will face.
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Darth Demon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 pm

cracka wrote:
Jetters wrote:I think 24 is too young. Definitely for A grade, may handle it in B grade with the right support.

The issue is not understanding of the game, it is being able to manage people and for an A grade coach being the figure head of a club.

If the young coach has had experience in their professional lives in teaching/coaching/leadership roles they may be equipped to do it.

Having said that, most coaches no matter their age are rubbish, have little idea about coaching and are just loud passionate supporters.

I really hope you are a coach & are just taking the p!ss.

Nah, he would be serious!

Doesn't matter how good, how young, how old or how bad your coach is if you never listen ;)

IMO Good coaching has nothing to do with age and everything to do with - management, people/communication skills PLUS the ability to formulate a plan and deliver it. You can be 19 or 69 if your good at those things you can be a successful coach. Hayden Bunton Jnr coached Norwood at 19 from 1958 to 1960 playing Finals in 2 of those 3 seasons.
Darth Demon
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

Postby Yank Man » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Not too many Hayden Buntons around nowadays. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Darth Demon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:42 am

Yank Man wrote:Not too many Hayden Buntons around nowadays. :D

Hmmm, truedat!

But it can be done ;)
Darth Demon
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

Postby carey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 am

I don't think age is a real factor as some 22-23 year olds are far more mature and respected than others. IMO to be a decent coach at that age its about respect you need to of earnt the respect of the playing group and the club wether that be from your playing record or the way you conduct yourself.

Its more man management there are things that will fire player A up yet you say the same thing to player B and he'll cry and run away its a fine line between the 2. There is also the friendship factor coaching blokes who have been your mates for years can be tough.

But at the end of the day from about div 4 down again IMO only its more about the cattle you have than the coach on the side lines.

I've also learnt you CAN NOT be a playing coach at any A grade level.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby laser » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:58 pm

laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:56 pm

I honestly don't think the age is a massive issue, its more about his ability to handle the pressure. Not only is he going to have his own personal frustrations to deal with but also those of the 1000's who believe they could do it better.

The younger you are the thicker your skin needs to be.

Good luck to DJ if he gets the job. You will soon learn that coaching is not all beers and skittles.
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:59 pm

carey wrote:I don't think age is a real factor as some 22-23 year olds are far more mature and respected than others. IMO to be a decent coach at that age its about respect you need to of earnt the respect of the playing group and the club wether that be from your playing record or the way you conduct yourself.

Its more man management there are things that will fire player A up yet you say the same thing to player B and he'll cry and run away its a fine line between the 2. There is also the friendship factor coaching blokes who have been your mates for years can be tough.

But at the end of the day from about div 4 down again IMO only its more about the cattle you have than the coach on the side lines.

I've also learnt you CAN NOT be a playing coach at any A grade level.

I disagree with the playing coaching aspect. A good coach will ensure every player knows their role and responsibility prior to the game day. I honestly believe a coach can not win you a game Saturday but can lose it
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby carey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:14 pm

So if they know there role yet it's not working how do you suppose the Coach can concentrate on his role as well as the 20 other blokes? IMO I've done it for 3 years and I stick with the fact you can't be playing coach. 1 will suffer either your personnel form or your role as coach and at the end of the day your appointment coach for a reason.
carey
Coach

Postby bickle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:46 pm

carey wrote:So if they know there role yet it's not working how do you suppose the Coach can concentrate on his role as well as the 20 other blokes? IMO I've done it for 3 years and I stick with the fact you can't be playing coach. 1 will suffer either your personnel form or your role as coach and at the end of the day your appointment coach for a reason.

yeah I agree. done it & was a bit difficult. pretty hard to give %100 to both roles.
bickle
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby dee man » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 am

Again people get side tracked on reality
Age makes a good coach,experience makes a good coach,good players make a good coach,success on field makes a good coach
what a load of crap

what makes a good coach depends on everyones interperation of success
ethics and morals,working hard,teaching, mentoring are all huge in my opion
also some people are just born to lead
age,nothing to do with it
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Haynzy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:10 pm

The new 'A' Grade Coach at Tea Tree Gully this year is both under 30 and playing.

Pretty confident he is going to get the job done well...
Haynzy
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby carey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Haynzy wrote:The new 'A' Grade Coach at Tea Tree Gully this year is both under 30 and playing.

Who is it?
carey
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Mitch Sandery
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby S Demon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Haynzy wrote:The new 'A' Grade Coach at Tea Tree Gully this year is both under 30 and playing.

A big purse to spend makes his job a tad easier...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby BigDaddy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am

This old chestnut again... Sigh...
Mitch is an outstanding leader of men and has a fantastic football brain. He has been in the SANFL system for years and has been able to build on solid foundations of professionalism and skills laid by previous coaches. I have no doubt that he will be a strong coach this year, particularly with the trust that he has in the team around him.

Let's just nip this in the bud now... S Demon, the 'big purse' insinuation is an insult to Mitch and my club. To date, we will be playing with a total of 5 out of a possible 15 points. We have worked hard on recruiting the right player/person for our team and it has meant that the overwhelming number of players are there for the right reasons, and that does not equate to money. TTG has never, and will never, be a club that can afford to attract players based purely on money, and nor would we want to. Next time, before throwing out loose allegations and innuendo, feel free to contact me or someone else at the club who actually knows what goes on.
BigDaddy
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Haynzy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am

BigDaddy wrote:This old chestnut again... Sigh...
Mitch is an outstanding leader of men and has a fantastic football brain. He has been in the SANFL system for years and has been able to build on solid foundations of professionalism and skills laid by previous coaches. I have no doubt that he will be a strong coach this year, particularly with the trust that he has in the team around him.

Let's just nip this in the bud now... S Demon, the 'big purse' insinuation is an insult to Mitch and my club. To date, we will be playing with a total of 5 out of a possible 15 points. We have worked hard on recruiting the right player/person for our team and it has meant that the overwhelming number of players are there for the right reasons, and that does not equate to money. TTG has never, and will never, be a club that can afford to attract players based purely on money, and nor would we want to. Next time, before throwing out loose allegations and innuendo, feel free to contact me or someone else at the club who actually knows what goes on.

=D>
Haynzy
Rookie

Been liked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League