30%
Salisbury
5%
Smithfield
2%

Total votes : 88

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 4 - 2017

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Now that I've sobered up a bit and found my phone, time for a sensiblish post. Was nice to put a face to the Yank Man name and good to see the Edwardstown boys come in for a beer. It looks likely that we will meet again in the finals.

I understand a report/complaint has/will be made. The umpire spoke to the team manager about it during the game but I'm in the dark as to the details of what's going on. Needless to say we support the guys who had the comments directed at them. Edwardstown seem to me to be a very well run club full of decent people, it shouldn't reflect on them as a club, I'm certain that the overwhelming majority of people there would abhor racism as much as anyone. This certainly isn't an us vs Edwardstown thing.

Unfortunately racism is still a real issue. Sometimes it's overt and sometimes less obvious. I went to the Mundine vs Green fight this year and it was shocking there. I've got a mate who writes for the Advertiser and when he wrote an article about changing the date of Australia Day the comments on social media were atrocious. So despite the fact that when Eddie Betts had a banana thrown at him the public were baying for blood, a lot of the time racist behaviour goes uncondemned/unnoticed by the general public. I've been exposed to it mainly because of my Aboriginal friends through football. If it wasn't for that I'd probably wouldn't be that aware of the extent of it. When someone stands up and calls it out I think it's important to support them. If we don't it can perpetuate the effect of the abuse because not only has the person been abused, but then been disbelieved or ignored.

We've been lucky at Kilburn to have a lot of indegenous players over the years. We've also had Aboriginal rounds in previous years which have been pretty special occassions and great fun to play in. We've had dance and music performances, indegenous food and some language taught to us. One of our A grade players has had a documentary made about him and his work reinvigorating the Kaurna language, it was on tv last week. It made me proud of my club to see the hall full of people after the first dreamtime game at Kilburn learning about Aboriginal culture.

The guys involved in this are very proud of their heritage. We might be having another dreamtime game late this year. If we do I'd encourage everyone to come down it's a great day. Hopefully we can put this behind us in due course and have get on with creating some more good news stories and promote the indegenous culture we are fortunate enough to have.

I think this is the best thing you've ever written on here.

You're right, Towns are meticulously run - having overseeing GF proceedings at the ground last year, I've seen this first hand, unfortunately, there's always one person, directly associated or not, that will spoil it for the rest. I'm sure it'll be sorted with maturity by both sides.

I nearly sent you a message to see when your dreamtime game was - obviously other clubs like Rosies and WC have taken these on but no one does them like Kilburn and if I've been doing even an inkling of media, I've always ensured that this gets a big shout out.

Do you know which channel the doco was on about your teammate? Wouldn't mind having a gander - I reckon there was a guy who played for SN who was doing something similar and he had a doco on SBS going back a couple of years ago (not the same guy??)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1740 times
Been liked: 2148 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Same guy Jack Bucksin. Doco is called Buckskin. He has performed after a couple of dreamtime games, is very good. The doco was on NITV last week.

I think its a great idea when clubs do a special round whether it be a dreamtime game or for some other reason. Should be more of it.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 367 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 am

Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:Now that I've sobered up a bit and found my phone, time for a sensiblish post. Was nice to put a face to the Yank Man name and good to see the Edwardstown boys come in for a beer. It looks likely that we will meet again in the finals.

I understand a report/complaint has/will be made. The umpire spoke to the team manager about it during the game but I'm in the dark as to the details of what's going on. Needless to say we support the guys who had the comments directed at them. Edwardstown seem to me to be a very well run club full of decent people, it shouldn't reflect on them as a club, I'm certain that the overwhelming majority of people there would abhor racism as much as anyone. This certainly isn't an us vs Edwardstown thing.

Unfortunately racism is still a real issue. Sometimes it's overt and sometimes less obvious. I went to the Mundine vs Green fight this year and it was shocking there. I've got a mate who writes for the Advertiser and when he wrote an article about changing the date of Australia Day the comments on social media were atrocious. So despite the fact that when Eddie Betts had a banana thrown at him the public were baying for blood, a lot of the time racist behaviour goes uncondemned/unnoticed by the general public. I've been exposed to it mainly because of my Aboriginal friends through football. If it wasn't for that I'd probably wouldn't be that aware of the extent of it. When someone stands up and calls it out I think it's important to support them. If we don't it can perpetuate the effect of the abuse because not only has the person been abused, but then been disbelieved or ignored.

We've been lucky at Kilburn to have a lot of indegenous players over the years. We've also had Aboriginal rounds in previous years which have been pretty special occassions and great fun to play in. We've had dance and music performances, indegenous food and some language taught to us. One of our A grade players has had a documentary made about him and his work reinvigorating the Kaurna language, it was on tv last week. It made me proud of my club to see the hall full of people after the first dreamtime game at Kilburn learning about Aboriginal culture.

The guys involved in this are very proud of their heritage. We might be having another dreamtime game late this year. If we do I'd encourage everyone to come down it's a great day. Hopefully we can put this behind us in due course and have get on with creating some more good news stories and promote the indegenous culture we are fortunate enough to have.

I think this is the best thing you've ever written on here.

You're right, Towns are meticulously run - having overseeing GF proceedings at the ground last year, I've seen this first hand, unfortunately, there's always one person, directly associated or not, that will spoil it for the rest. I'm sure it'll be sorted with maturity by both sides.

I nearly sent you a message to see when your dreamtime game was - obviously other clubs like Rosies and WC have taken these on but no one does them like Kilburn and if I've been doing even an inkling of media, I've always ensured that this gets a big shout out.

Do you know which channel the doco was on about your teammate? Wouldn't mind having a gander - I reckon there was a guy who played for SN who was doing something similar and he had a doco on SBS going back a couple of years ago (not the same guy??)

I would seriously like to say something but I have been gagged. What I can say is that yes, Edwardstown is a very professional and well run club and we have things well and truly in hand.

Frankly I would be more concerned about what happened in the C's than the A's.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm

‘The worst racial vilification I’ve seen at a game of footy’:

Kilburn Football Club official slams Edwardstown rivals

CLAIMS of racial abuse hurled at Aboriginal players during an amateur football match on Saturday have triggered a call for a review into the culture of the game.

An Edwardstown player is alleged to have called his opposing Kilburn player a “welfare cheat” during the division 4 game at Blair Athol Reserve.

Grounds marshal Clifford Wilson also claimed he heard a player labelled a “black c***” and others “n*****s” by Edwardstown Football Club members on a number of occasions throughout the match.

“I heard ... others on the boundary saying ‘n*****’ to the players all through the game,” Mr Wilson said.

“A 23-year-old (Kilburn player) who was sat on the bench was copping a lot of it and was pretty upset at the clubrooms later on.

“I’ve seen this kind of thing before but this is the worst racial vilification I’ve witnessed in a game yet.”

Former Kilburn Football Club chairman of 44 years Phil Martin said many of the club’s 25-odd Aboriginal players had been left upset by the incidents.

“We get sledging all the time but this really wasn’t on, and amateur footy league has got to do something about it,” Mr Martin said.

“When you get these players using race as a weapon on the field it can have lasting mental scarring.”

Kilburn club chairman Rod Blue said there were a number of rumours but any issues had been dealt with internally.

“I won’t comment further on any other matters,” Mr Blue said.

Adelaide Football League CEO John Kernahan said there had been no official report submitted to the tribunal on the incidents as of Monday afternoon. But Mr Kernahan said he would investigate the matter further.

“The league was made aware by our umpires of the potential of an incident being reported but initial inquiries resulted in any allegations being denied by a representative of the Kilburn Football Club,” Mr Kernahan said.

“The Adelaide Footy League has consistently demonstrated its very low tolerance to anti-social behaviour and will act to reinforce those standards far and beyond social expectations.”

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson said the alleged incidents had been reported to him by concerned club members.

“There’s a strong responsibility for parents and coaches to make sure players do abide by reasonable standards of conduct,” Mr Johanson said.

“I would suggest that all players, parents, helpers and club officials ensure they’re educated on the matter of racial vilification.

“These sorts of comments are just not on – especially in this day and age.”

Mr Johanson planned to discuss the issue during a meeting with Federal Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Nigel Scullion on Wednesday.

Edwardstown Football Club president Eddie Dessmann denied the incidents.

“I’m not aware of any comments made – other than in regards to a haircut – and even if I was I wouldn’t be talking to you about it,” Mr Dessmann said.

“There’s been no report to the league so you’ve got no right to call me about this.”
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3541 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:‘The worst racial vilification I’ve seen at a game of footy’:

Kilburn Football Club official slams Edwardstown rivals

CLAIMS of racial abuse hurled at Aboriginal players during an amateur football match on Saturday have triggered a call for a review into the culture of the game.

An Edwardstown player is alleged to have called his opposing Kilburn player a “welfare cheat” during the division 4 game at Blair Athol Reserve.

Grounds marshal Clifford Wilson also claimed he heard a player labelled a “black c***” and others “n*****s” by Edwardstown Football Club members on a number of occasions throughout the match.

“I heard ... others on the boundary saying ‘n*****’ to the players all through the game,” Mr Wilson said.

“A 23-year-old (Kilburn player) who was sat on the bench was copping a lot of it and was pretty upset at the clubrooms later on.

“I’ve seen this kind of thing before but this is the worst racial vilification I’ve witnessed in a game yet.”

Former Kilburn Football Club chairman of 44 years Phil Martin said many of the club’s 25-odd Aboriginal players had been left upset by the incidents.

“We get sledging all the time but this really wasn’t on, and amateur footy league has got to do something about it,” Mr Martin said.

“When you get these players using race as a weapon on the field it can have lasting mental scarring.”

Kilburn club chairman Rod Blue said there were a number of rumours but any issues had been dealt with internally.

“I won’t comment further on any other matters,” Mr Blue said.

Adelaide Football League CEO John Kernahan said there had been no official report submitted to the tribunal on the incidents as of Monday afternoon. But Mr Kernahan said he would investigate the matter further.

“The league was made aware by our umpires of the potential of an incident being reported but initial inquiries resulted in any allegations being denied by a representative of the Kilburn Football Club,” Mr Kernahan said.

“The Adelaide Footy League has consistently demonstrated its very low tolerance to anti-social behaviour and will act to reinforce those standards far and beyond social expectations.”

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson said the alleged incidents had been reported to him by concerned club members.

“There’s a strong responsibility for parents and coaches to make sure players do abide by reasonable standards of conduct,” Mr Johanson said.

“I would suggest that all players, parents, helpers and club officials ensure they’re educated on the matter of racial vilification.

“These sorts of comments are just not on – especially in this day and age.”

Mr Johanson planned to discuss the issue during a meeting with Federal Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Nigel Scullion on Wednesday.

Edwardstown Football Club president Eddie Dessmann denied the incidents.

“I’m not aware of any comments made – other than in regards to a haircut – and even if I was I wouldn’t be talking to you about it,” Mr Dessmann said.

“There’s been no report to the league so you’ve got no right to call me about this.”

As an Edwardstown life member, long time club servant and current assistant coach who was not only at the game but witnessed everything on the day, I can categorically say that this is the greatest load of rubbish I have ever read in my life. Absolutely none of that happened and our club would ban for life anyone who was that poor in character. Gag over, I'll accept the consequences. MINOR issue yes, but it is well in hand.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby The Informer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Well some one isn't telling the truth then, not saying you are but you are doing quite well to hear everything that is said at a game of football and covering all the oval.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Seems strange no report to the league about this and its over 72 hours post game so think you would have to side with Towns on this one
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3541 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 pm

The_Informer wrote:Well some one isn't telling the truth then, not saying you are but you are doing quite well to hear everything that is said at a game of football and covering all the oval.

Wasn't too difficult, nearly everyone was under the massive Kilburn balcony and you here everything in there. It was a cold day and their BBQ is great. FWIW 2 of our club legends are indigenous and they were there watching. Way too much love for them to have anything but respect.

We all understand the ramifications of racial vilification and our club is no different to others in its educational processes. Plus we have our own indigenous lads playing in all grades including juniors.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 pm

I don't want to get into the details on here of what happened. It is unfortunate that this article was published. There is going to be a complaint lodged on behalf of players but they needed to be spoken to first and a meeting was held to do this tonight. We are not the AFL and it's unfair to say a report should have happened immediately. I would suggest the lack of comment from our Chairman was to avoid any unnecessary pressure, speculation and other diffuclties affecting proper process.

I would respectfully disagree with Yank Man that the allegations of what occured are minor, but I can understand why he is upset at the article. I can't comment one way or the other on the veracity of the article as I have not spoken to the people quoted in it.

I'd suggest that people hold off making any judgment about what happened until the league do what they do. Once that is done I'll more than likely to be happy to fill people in.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 367 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:46 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:I don't want to get into the details on here of what happened. It is unfortunate that this article was published. There is going to be a complaint lodged on behalf of players but they needed to be spoken to first and a meeting was held to do this tonight. We are not the AFL and it's unfair to say a report should have happened immediately. I would suggest the lack of comment from our Chairman was to avoid any unnecessary pressure, speculation and other diffuclties affecting proper process.

I would respectfully disagree with Yank Man that the allegations of what occured are minor, but I can understand why he is upset at the article. I can't comment one way or the other on the veracity of the article as I have not spoken to the people quoted in it.

I'd suggest that people hold off making any judgment about what happened until the league do what they do. Once that is done I'll more than likely to be happy to fill people in.

My comment related to the severity of remarks made in the media report. They are severe to say the least. Any 'alleged' racist comments are not to be taken lightly but those words are at a maximum.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 am

Phil Martin never misses a chance to make things more difficult!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1201 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am

Yank Man wrote:2 of our club legends are indigenous and they were there watching. Way too much love for them to have anything but respect

The old "I'm not racist, i've got a friend whose black" comment :lol:

jo172 wrote:Phil Martin never misses a chance to make things more difficult!

Nothings changed, probably creamed his dacks when he realised there was an opportunity to get his name up in lights again.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4018 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:14 am

Yank Man wrote:MINOR issue yes, but it is well in hand.

:-? :shock:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:15 am

Dutchy wrote:
[b]Kilburn club chairman Rod Blue
said there were a number of rumours but any issues had been dealt with internally.

Surely this is the big story in that article! Bluey - from head trainer to chairman.. what a rise in power! :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Given the seriousness of the allegations and media spotlight I query whether the League has the appropriate resources to investigate/deal with it.
Last edited by jo172 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1201 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Edwardstown well run and under control.What a crock.Last yr our laddies supporters were abused.Our runner was the subject of serious verbal vilification and two of our players were racially abused and nothing was done.
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:Edwardstown well run and under control.What a crock.Last yr our laddies supporters were abused.Our runner was the subject of serious verbal vilification and two of our players were racially abused and nothing was done.

Houghton played Edwardstown last year? :? ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 pm

jo172 wrote:Given the seriousness of the allegations and media spotlight I query whether the League has the appropriate resources to investigate/deal with it.

Just ask the poster on here who witnessed everything that happened on the day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7506 times
Been liked: 10800 times

Postby scottroo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Things are about to get very interesting in div 4
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times