COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby Pag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:48 am

The Bedge wrote:
JesseWhite wrote:Is this a joke?

Certainly not, and I like it.

Minor Premier gets (deservedly) an easier run to the GF.
2nd and 3rd still need to win an extra game to make it.
4th and 5th still play KO.

Considering also it keeps a 5 team finals series I'd support it. It's been a tough enough season, let alone turning around now 4 weeks out and effectively ending the hopes of a side because you've cut the top 5 back to top 4 when it's been out of their control.

Doesn't this mean though they the team finishing top has to play another top 3 side, while the team who finished 2nd/3rd and wins their first game gets to play a side who finished fourth or fifth to for a GF spot? Doesn't seem right to me.

Make it a regulation final four IMO. 1 v 2, winner through the GF. 3 v 4 loser out. Loser of 1 v 2 against winner of 3 v 4 for the other GF spot.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 am

Pag wrote:Doesn't this mean though they the team finishing top has to play another top 3 side, while the team who finished 2nd/3rd and wins their first game gets to play a side in an who finished fourth or fifth to make a GF? Doesn't seem right to me.

But currently with the regular format it's really not much different - top still has the week off, still plays another top 3 side for the chance to progress directly to the GF.

Surely your lads at Salisbury wouldn't be thrilled knowing their season was effectively over coz they decide to drop back a side? They've done nothing wrong to deserve to miss finals after all the work put in over the past xx amount of months... imagine trying to get people interested in playing the last 4 weeks if you turned around and said back luck lads, good season but now we are just playing for shits and giggs.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4011 times

Postby scottroo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:54 am

Best case scenario I think is top 4 over 3 weeks but do we have enough gated grounds to host two finals per division on the first Saturday of finals?
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:57 am

scottroo wrote:Best case scenario I think is top 5 over 3 weeks but do we have enough gated grounds to host two finals per division on the first Saturday of finals?

Good question.. off the top of my head, if they were able to use say Thebby and some SANFL grounds like have in the past:

Kilburn
Salisbury
Payneham
Mitcham
Campbelltown
Kenilworth
Propsect
West Adelaide
Glenelg
Woodville
Elizabeth
Edwardstown
Norwood

Could play 3 possibly 4 (pushing it) on one venue per day.. or maybe get creative - play some Friday night C grade finals? Sunday games?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 am

The Bedge wrote:
Pag wrote:Doesn't this mean though they the team finishing top has to play another top 3 side, while the team who finished 2nd/3rd and wins their first game gets to play a side in an who finished fourth or fifth to make a GF? Doesn't seem right to me.

But currently with the regular format it's really not much different - top still has the week off, still plays another top 3 side for the chance to progress directly to the GF.

Surely your lads at Salisbury wouldn't be thrilled knowing their season was effectively over coz they decide to drop back a side? They've done nothing wrong to deserve to miss finals after all the work put in over the past xx amount of months... imagine trying to get people interested in playing the last 4 weeks if you turned around and said back luck lads, good season but now we are just playing for shits and giggs.

The top team still has a tougher Prelim, the old way they at least get a second chance.

This is terrible suggestion.

We are in a pandemic, teams who are 4th and 5th just have to accept it. The percentages of them making GF over last 5 - 10 years are under 5%.

Personally, I think will be two week finals where top team is rewarded with GF, and 2 vs 3 play in Prelim. Over in two weeks, get out of here before another Lockdown!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:02 am

Eagles2014 wrote:We are in a pandemic, teams who are 4th and 5th just have to accept it.

Well then why cant clubs "accept" that we lost two rounds through a pandemic and just issue draws for them fixtures and finish out the season?

Guess it depends where your club sits as to what your position on the matter is.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am

The Bedge wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:We are in a pandemic, teams who are 4th and 5th just have to accept it.

Well then why cant clubs "accept" that we lost two rounds through a pandemic and just issue draws for them fixtures and finish out the season?

Guess it depends where your club sits as to what your position on the matter is.

Think the league have been pretty clear with Clubs that getting the 18 minor round games played is the main priority, fairness for all with regards to promotion/relegation. At least if top team is automatically promoted nobody can really complain. Everyone will obviously be worried about their own clubs, that's only natural, that is why the league make the final call.

Under your system, the 5th team probably has just as much chance as being promoted as 1st team if they have couple of good games, that is totally unacceptable.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Under your system, the 5th team probably has just as much chance as being promoted as 1st team if they have couple of good games, that is totally unacceptable.

Grant the minor premier promotion + the premier or Grand Finalist then.

It's not just A grade that's impact by the top 5, it's B and C grade too.. blokes who commit just as much just for the chance to play finals - and you look over the ladders in each division, it's pretty bloody tight between those middle parts, if nothing else this last month gives guys a purpose to keep playing, to keep having a crack.. and possibly be rewarded with post-season games.

To say having top 5 is not fair on the minor premier, and so shouldn't occur I'm not sure is fair either, and i would think sides from 2nd down would be happy with the format - why wouldn't they be?

Granted its a risk for the top side to potentially go out without a second chance, but that ultimately rests on them come game day.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am

Alright, i've accepted i'm in the minority.

Top 3 or 4 it is.

Play on.

Cricket season now. 8) :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Pag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:37 am

The Bedge wrote:

I'm not involved at the club anymore, but they're 6th, so right now they don't deserve it anyway. And to be honest, in a nine-team comp the fifth-placed team doesn't deserve it half the time. Look at Rosewater, Marion etc in Div 6. One is going to finish fifth and play finals with a much-worse-than-.500 losing record.

I understand some clubs would be upset or annoyed, but they've had 18 rounds to be better than 5th. In a normal season, they'd get their crack at it, but it's not a normal season anymore.

And I'm confused about the availability of the fenced grounds. Surely that's just for GFs? Higher-ranked sides should still be able to buy their home finals, especially if it's a final four system as it's the only advantage 1st has over 2nd and 3rd has over 4th.
Last edited by Pag on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:41 am

Depending on what level restrictions hosting a grand final might not be a fun experience.

Hard enough to keep your own people in line let alone excitable neutrals
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1201 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am

Pag wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I'm not involved at the club anymore, but they're 6th, so right now they don't deserve it anyway. And to be honest, in a nine-team comp the fifth-placed team doesn't deserve it half the time. Look at Rosewater, Marion etc in Div 6. One is going to finish fifth and play finals with a much-worse-than-.500 losing record.

I understand some clubs would be upset or annoyed, but they've had 18 rounds to be better than 5th. In a normal season, they'd get their crack at it, but it's not a normal season anymore.

And I'm confused about the availability of the fenced grounds. Surely that's just for GFs? Higher-ranked sides should still be able to buy their home finals, especially if it's a final four system as it's the only advantage 1st has over 2nd and 3rd has over 4th.

Think the home finals are gone this year. Again, part of the sacrifice to finish the season in a pandemic. SA health will not allow a final at Payneham or Sacred Heart of Flinders Park or Lockleys etc with out fenced off. Why there will be one final per week over two weeks at limited ovals.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Pag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:52 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
Pag wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Think the home finals are gone this year. Again, part of the sacrifice to finish the season in a pandemic. SA health will not allow a final at Payneham or Sacred Heart of Flinders Park or Lockleys etc with out fenced off. Why there will be one final per week over two weeks at limited ovals.

Ah right, makes sense. Like jo said though, going to take some brave clubs to put their hands up to host. They are difficult enough in the best of times.
Pag
Coach

Postby Fools Gold » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Fools Gold wrote:So local league Grand Finals on the same day as the AFL Grand Final? Seems like an bad decision

Not that it’s happening, but you saying you wouldn’t rock up if your team was playing?
Me personally I would be there, however I could see a dramatic decrease in crowd numbers on what is usually a bumper day $$$ wise for the AdFL
Fools Gold

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby Pag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Fools Gold wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Fools Gold wrote:So local league Grand Finals on the same day as the AFL Grand Final? Seems like an bad decision

Not that it’s happening, but you saying you wouldn’t rock up if your team was playing?
Me personally I would be there, however I could see a dramatic decrease in crowd numbers on what is usually a bumper day $$$ wise for the AdFL

Maybe SA Health would prefer this option then?
Pag
Coach

Postby guru36 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 pm

Watch the latest episode of between the posts where they interview kernas he explains everything from playing missed rounds and finals

Still have enough time to play all minor round games and finals by the October long weekend thats what the league stated in their first media release only problem is the split round in div 1
guru36
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:18 pm

SA Health may decide the fate in the end. With the concerns with what’s happening over the border we could be lucky if we even get to the October long weekend without another lockdown. That’s 9 weeks away. I do favour the top 4 option that Pag mentioned, 1v 2 with winner in to GF, 3 v 4 with winner playing loser 1 v 2 in prelim with winner in to GF. Just my own view but a 4 week finals series could be risky.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Yank Man wrote:SA Health may decide the fate in the end. With the concerns with what’s happening over the border we could be lucky if we even get to the October long weekend without another lockdown. That’s 9 weeks away. I do favour the top 4 option that Pag mentioned, 1v 2 with winner in to GF, 3 v 4 with winner playing loser 1 v 2 in prelim with winner in to GF. Just my own view but a 4 week finals series could be risky.

Everyone would be happy with this (except teams in 5th spot obviously :D), but think is highly unlikely now. We will definitely have another lockdown in the near future with this NSW situation, so the league just have to get a GF weekend in to make some coin!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:32 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Sticks28 wrote:How would that work? Top 5 to be a hybrid finals and trimmed back to 3 weeks.

I hope it would be top 5 - would be guttered if it's a top 4 finals series

Week 1 - Semi Finals
(a). 2 v 3 (SF2)
(b). 4 v 5 (SF1)

Week 2 - Preliminary Finals
(c). 1 v Loser SF2 (a)
(d). Winner SF1 (b) vs Winner SF2 (a)

Week 3 - Grand Final
Winner (c) vs (d)

Team that finishes top gets no double chance yet the teams 2 and 3 do. Sounds fair ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:34 pm

Brodlach wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Sticks28 wrote:How would that work? Top 5 to be a hybrid finals and trimmed back to 3 weeks.

I hope it would be top 5 - would be guttered if it's a top 4 finals series

Week 1 - Semi Finals
(a). 2 v 3 (SF2)
(b). 4 v 5 (SF1)

Week 2 - Preliminary Finals
(c). 1 v Loser SF2 (a)
(d). Winner SF1 (b) vs Winner SF2 (a)

Week 3 - Grand Final
Winner (c) vs (d)

Team that finishes top gets no double chance yet the teams 2 and 3 do. Sounds fair ;)

Think Bedge has conceded he had a very dumb idea (for once :D)
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League