WOS
No votes

Total votes : 19

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 3

Postby Sass! » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:46 am

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:How is Modbury Oval holding up? Heading out there Sunday

Watched Modbury v GG there today. I’d be making a point to buy some new white shorts during the week if you’re son/daughter is playing there tomorrow. And it a till had a women’s game to go when I left after the A grade. Good luck.

haha great, its the last game tomorrow also :lol:

What a weekend to have 4 Senior Matches at home on top of Friday night fixtures. Oval was definitely looking worse for wear come Saturday night. Despite the oval being in much better condition that it ever was in the early 2000's and prior, 100mm of rain over a few days put it back to its muddy best.

It definitely brought back some nostalgia on Saturday from the good old days from playing as a kid. The good news is it drains better than it used to, so now you are just ankle deep in mud, not mud and water. Much better! :D
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bubba love » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 am

Lots of junior traffic on that ground during the week also, is there any thought of training elsewhere for seniors and juniors during the week to keep off it?! Easier said than done obviously
bubba love
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Mallee Park

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am

bubba love wrote:Lots of junior traffic on that ground during the week also, is there any thought of training elsewhere for seniors and juniors during the week to keep off it?! Easier said than done obviously

The oval has been declared 'closed' till at least Thursday.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:09 am

Looking on from the outer side you can see grid lines where the drainage is working but in between them it is mud, looks like it all needs to be ripped up and re-done

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:15 am

Dutchy wrote:Looking on from the outer side you can see grid lines where the drainage is working but in between them it is mud, looks like it all needs to be ripped up and re-done

That is 100x better than it used to be
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:15 am

I was talking to someone from Golden Grove and they had a winter grass sewn in a couple of years ago and their oval is holding up much better than ours. Maybe we need to have a chat to the council about the type of grass? The drainage has been working fine in the past few years.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Sass! » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:51 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I was talking to someone from Golden Grove and they had a winter grass sewn in a couple of years ago and their oval is holding up much better than ours. Maybe we need to have a chat to the council about the type of grass? The drainage has been working fine in the past few years.

Unfortunately i am not sure a change in grass will help, Golden Grove's surface is very different to ours with different soil, it borders on being concrete like in drier weather but the upside is that it holds up well in rain.

We have a second oval, which is Greenwith Primary School but thats a 10 minute drive from Modbury and the lighting and facilities there are fairly sub standard which is a detractor. Golden Grove, much like TTG, have their second oval right next door which can be a huge advantage to managing foot traffic on the main deck.

Our big increase in the number of sides we have, mainly due to ever growing female teams, is putting alot of pressure on Modbury oval throughout they year. It doesnt get any rest on a Friday night, Saturday or Sunday and thats with our Juniors playing half their home games at Greenwith.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby The Old Fellow » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Sass! wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I was talking to someone from Golden Grove and they had a winter grass sewn in a couple of years ago and their oval is holding up much better than ours. Maybe we need to have a chat to the council about the type of grass? The drainage has been working fine in the past few years.

Unfortunately i am not sure a change in grass will help, Golden Grove's surface is very different to ours with different soil, it borders on being concrete like in drier weather but the upside is that it holds up well in rain.

We have a second oval, which is Greenwith Primary School but thats a 10 minute drive from Modbury and the lighting and facilities there are fairly sub standard which is a detractor. Golden Grove, much like TTG, have their second oval right next door which can be a huge advantage to managing foot traffic on the main deck.

Our big increase in the number of sides we have, mainly due to ever growing female teams, is putting alot of pressure on Modbury oval throughout they year. It doesnt get any rest on a Friday night, Saturday or Sunday and thats with our Juniors playing half their home games at Greenwith.

Doesn't Houghton Raiders also play out of Greenwith Primary School this year as their oval is being redeveloped? If so that oval must be taken a hammering also.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby big-whopper » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:51 am

Any word on what sort of finals series we are going to have this year? Still top 5?
big-whopper
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Cant see top 5. Reckon best case scenario top 4 or even top 3 providing no more hiccups. Finals over 2 weeks.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:18 am

The Old Fellow wrote:
Sass! wrote:

Doesn't Houghton Raiders also play out of Greenwith Primary School this year as their oval is being redeveloped? If so that oval must be taken a hammering also.

It's not bad considering Houghton are playing there. It was pretty sloppy at the school end. Other than that, pretty good nick even in the centre.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby whiteclawbaby » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:09 pm

Flinders Park could be in massive danger of dropping to 5th after this weekends games. They haven’t won since the restart and now play Edwardstown away. Modbury should be able to take care of WOS and have a superior %.
whiteclawbaby
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby bubba love » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 am

Went along to this meeting at HQ last night, interesting hearing different clubs thoughts on the proposed new 8 team format, just wondering if people in this division have made their mind up or know which way they will vote?! North haven a firm option 3 (to leave how it is) and hearing clubs say they were happy to get relegated even after finishing as high as 3rd this year made me scratch my head a bit, any way just throwing it out there, any thoughts?
bubba love
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:03 am

bubba love wrote:Went along to this meeting at HQ last night, interesting hearing different clubs thoughts on the proposed new 8 team format, just wondering if people in this division have made their mind up or know which way they will vote?! North haven a firm option 3 (to leave how it is) and hearing clubs say they were happy to get relegated even after finishing as high as 3rd this year made me scratch my head a bit, any way just throwing it out there, any thoughts?

Would teams be making that decision based on their current ladder position.

Would a more reflective vote as to whether this was good for the comp been if the vote was at the start of the year.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Fools Gold » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:50 am

Only concern I have is that the league will be happy to keep it this way going forward which I am not a fan of. If it's going to be just a single year and it helps with any potential disruptions then I'm okay.

However....SURELY we will be at a better place as a country regarding vaccinations, breakouts and lockdowns over 24 months into this pandemic when the 2022 season starts. Does the decision need to be made this far away from next year, or is it only discussions taking place at the moment?
Fools Gold

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:52 am

Fools Gold wrote:Only concern I have is that the league will be happy to keep it this way going forward which I am not a fan of. If it's going to be just a single year and it helps with any potential disruptions then I'm okay.

What if you experience it, and then like the change? ;)

I think discussions and to a lesser extend decisions do need to be made this early to assist with planning and preparation for next year- season comes around too quickly + clubs also like to know how best to prepare.

Think it would be easier to revert back to normal closer to the season than vice versa.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby bubba love » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:08 pm

Do you guys know which way your club will go on it? Are teams in div 4,5 etc going to vote for something that will end with them being relegated?! I’ve only recently stopped playing but if I was and our committee had voted for it and cut the legs out from under the playing group I would be livid
bubba love
Under 18s

Postby Sass! » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:11 pm

No firm view from Modbury at this stage. If 8 team comps did go ahead and we won this week and Flinders lose to Edwardstown, we go up into the new Div 3, if we lose, we are the top ranked side in the new div 4. The outcome is somewhat out of our control but we may have a firmer view come 5pm Saturday!

The initial barrier for alot of people seems to be the "relegation" to division 4. I do think that if the 8 team comp went ahead, calling Division 1 the Premier/ Championship Division (or similar) could alleviate some of those concerns as teams 9 to 16 would then become the Division 1. 17 to 24 Division 3 and so on.

Like others, we would want the vote to be a decision for 2022 Season only with a review to occur after that.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:14 pm

bubba love wrote:Do you guys know which way your club will go on it? Are teams in div 4,5 etc going to vote for something that will end with them being relegated?! I’ve only recently stopped playing but if I was and our committee had voted for it and cut the legs out from under the playing group I would be livid

Certainly plenty of mixed thoughts getting around from the people/clubs I've spoken with.

Funnily enough, the lower the division and lower the ranked club i.e. Ingle Farm - the more against the idea they are.

Once you look at it as effectively just a div name change and slight adjustment, and the fact your "ranking" doesn't change in the wider scheme of things, the easier it is to swallow.

It probably becomes more daunting when you're staring down the barrel of "division 8" or similar.

I still think people get too hung up over divisions and the perception of "needing" to be in a certain division.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Sass! wrote:The initial barrier for alot of people seems to be the "relegation" to division 4. I do think that if the 8 team comp went ahead, calling Division 1 the Premier/ Championship Division (or similar) could alleviate some of those concerns as teams 9 to 16 would then become the Division 1. 17 to 24 Division 3 and so on.

Agree with this.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League