The Ashes 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Postby Corona Man » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
northerner wrote:Interesting to reflect on other poster's opinions on the playing XI. I find myself in agreeance with what most have written, particularly the in-depth summaries from boney and whufc.

The one player that I appear to rate differently to others is Tim Paine. This guy is a brilliant fit and a master stroke from the much-maligned selectors. He goes about his job with no fuss, barely being noticed, which is what you want from your keeper. He is a better gloveman (and less abrasive) than Wade and a better bat than Nevill whilst not losing anything as a keeper in comparison. The ONLY negative to his selection is his age, but this is covered because our next keeper WILL BE Alex Carey and Paine's selection buys Carey the 12-24 months he needs before he is ready to strut his stuff in the Test arena.... in the meantime he will pick up exposure in the National ODI side.

Can't agree entirely with that, however, given that I believe a spinner / 'keeper relationship is one that must develop over time and Lyon is in brilliant form offering subtle variation I'm happy to let Paine have a few slips ups in the early part of his time behind the stumps to Lyon.

Given he stays in the side I expect by this time next year they'll be a cohesive team within a team.
\

Wasn't long ago that Ludeman was touted as the next national keeper/opener for the shorter version games, boy how quick things change, now he's just some schmo working in a box factory.

Does he use the boxes now to catch balls?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby tigerpie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:02 pm

I don't have a problem bouncing the tailenders. As long as its within the allowed limit.
These days they can actually bat, and can be quite dangerous. They have a couch cushion under their shirts, helmets etc.
These guys are suspect to the short stuff, a bit like tugga, his brother, even ponting and clarke late in their careers.
See a weakness and exploit it.
Oh and remember bodyline?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 am

tigerpie wrote:I don't have a problem bouncing the tailenders. As long as its within the allowed limit.
These days they can actually bat, and can be quite dangerous. They have a couch cushion under their shirts, helmets etc.
These guys are suspect to the short stuff, a bit like tugga, his brother, even ponting and clarke late in their careers.

Back in the 1920's? The most unsportsmanlike era of the game?

James Anderson who has scored 10 runs for the whole tour of Australia and hasn't reached double figures for at least 6 months, hardly worth bouncing first up.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:46 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Back in the 1920's? The most unsportsmanlike era of the game?

Pretty sure it was the 30's :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tigerpie wrote:I don't have a problem bouncing the tailenders. As long as its within the allowed limit.

James Anderson who has scored 10 runs for the whole tour of Australia and hasn't reached double figures for at least 6 months, hardly worth bouncing first up.

Should’ve just tried to break his f#cking arm...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5527 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Back in the 1920's? The most unsportsmanlike era of the game?

Pretty sure it was the 30's :P

Sorry, the 20's weren't kind to me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am

Spargo wrote:Should’ve just tried to break his f#cking arm...

Ha, would've been nice having Clarke who's built like a jockeys whip trying to talk tough to you, i know what I would've come back with.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Some guys just get what they deserve.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MARK Stoneman is determined to help England prove they are more than Ashes also-rans in the remaining Ashes Tests in Melbourne and Sydney.
Joe Root’s men have lost the urn at the first opportunity, 3-0 down before Christmas, but Stoneman is confident they are capable of hitting back.

“It’s pretty devastating really,” the straight-talking opener said.

“We came from the first two games, with the knowledge of where we wanted to put things right and how we were going to do things better ... it’s pretty hard to take.”

The Melbourne Test is next up and Stoneman added: “It’s obviously not ideal going there 3-0 down.

“At the same time what better way to bounce back than to perform well in the Boxing Day Test.”

Stoneman has great respect for the home attack, having been given a torrid time at the WACA by Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc especially, but he incredibly said ‘we are two sides of fairly balanced bowling attacks.’

‘In all honesty, I don’t think they are the better side,” he said.

“They have maybe had us covered at times in the pace department but when we’ve had the ball moving we’ve shown we’re able to put their batsmen under a lot of pressure and at times with the bat as well we’ve been putting runs on the board, but just not enough.”

But asked if Australia’s three pace bowlers and off-spinner Nathan Lyon are as tough a combination as he has faced, he said: “Yes ... three quicks and a top-quality operating spinner, they’re definitely a complete unit.

“(But) at times, it hasn’t felt an impossible task. We’ve shown glimpses ... that we’re able to get on top, get ourselves in a good position.”

England’s cause has not been helped by the desperately lean form of Stoneman’s opening partner Alastair Cook.

But Stoneman is convinced England’s all-time record runscorer, 33 on Christmas Day, retains the necessary appetite to set the record straight again.

“The way he goes about his preparations, the work in the nets, what he does in the gym and his general love for the game and that hunger ... you can still see it deep within him,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/th ... 351d6b5b47
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 am

Booney wrote:‘In all honesty, I don’t think they are the better side,” he said.

Whilst initially I enjoyed a chuckle.. as I think back over it, I don't think he's as far off the mark as it may seem, with the batting at least.

Take Steve Smith out of the equation (2x 100's, 426 runs @ 142.00).

Malan (ENG) - 302 @ 50.33 inc. 1x 100 and 2x 50's
Bairstow (ENG) - 241 @ 40.16
S Marsh (AUS) - 224 @ 74.66
Warner (ENG) - 196 @ 49.00 (thank you for the 87* helping)
Stoneman (ENG) - 193 @ 32.16
Vince (ENG) - 182 @ 30.33
M Marsh (AUS) - 181 @ 181.00

Australia's bowling is definitely top shelf and better balanced - don't rate Ali much as a spinner, but Anderson, Broad and Overton I think have bowled well without much luck, occasionally wrong lengths for too long, but when they're on and swinging the ball they're dangerous. They've had the Aussies on the ropes on occasions, and have had a run of close DRS calls go against them.

The major difference is the Aussies have ran through the rather long tail of the Poms relatively easily - they lose their back 5 wickets far quicker than the Aussies.

Overall I don't think the Aussies are as strong or travelling as well as it may seem at first glance. Steve Smith, Lyon and Hazlewood the exceptions for me.

Even Mitch Marsh - sure it was a good 181, but he got the pleasure of playing on a hard bat friendly WACA pitch when it was pretty much at its best - his innings is more a reflection on how good the wicket was to bat on rather than his ability IMO.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:44 am

I think a major area you've left out is captaincy.
I posted earlier in the thread that Smith has his side playing for him, while it appears Root doesn't - particularly his bowlers (except for Overton).
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 am

The Bedge wrote: but Anderson, Broad and Overton I think have bowled well without much luck, occasionally wrong lengths for too long, but when they're on and swinging the ball they're dangerous. They've had the Aussies on the ropes on occasions, and have had a run of close DRS calls go against them.

I can't agree with this part, mate.

If I was to say a percentile of Broad and Anderson bowling "well" I'd say Broad has bowled "well" about 50% of the time and Anderson about 60% of the time. Both were average in our 2nd innings in Brisbane and fair dinkum rubbish in our 1st innings here in Adelaide. Then 4/260 combined in Perth ( Broad 0/142 ).

More troublesome for them is they haven't looked interested if the ball isn't hooping around, they've both looked like they had better things to do in Adelaide on day 1 ( perhaps the captain did piss them off bowling first ) and when Smith and Marsh were plundering the ball around they were rolling in at half pace. That has then put the heat on Woakes who has been ok but again, too short and Overton who looks a fighter but with a cracked rib might be missing for the next couple of Tests. Throw in Ali looking like a part timer at best and their bowling attack hasn't looked like taking 20 wickets from us. I reckon Broad might get dropped for Melbourne.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 am

Both Broad & Ali should be dropped for Melbourne.... but what's left in the touring party?

Cupboard may be bare.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:55 am

Corona Man wrote:Both Broad & Ali should be dropped for Melbourne.... but what's left in the touring party?

Cupboard may be bare.

Never heard of him but I say get him dressed and in the team.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:59 am

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote: but Anderson, Broad and Overton I think have bowled well without much luck, occasionally wrong lengths for too long, but when they're on and swinging the ball they're dangerous. They've had the Aussies on the ropes on occasions, and have had a run of close DRS calls go against them.

I can't agree with this part, mate.

If I was to say a percentile of Broad and Anderson bowling "well" I'd say Broad has bowled "well" about 50% of the time and Anderson about 60% of the time. Both were average in our 2nd innings in Brisbane and fair dinkum rubbish in our 1st innings here in Adelaide. Then 4/260 combined in Perth ( Broad 0/142 ).

More troublesome for them is they haven't looked interested if the ball isn't hooping around, they've both looked like they had better things to do in Adelaide on day 1 ( perhaps the captain did piss them off bowling first ) and when Smith and Marsh were plundering the ball around they were rolling in at half pace. That has then put the heat on Woakes who has been ok but again, too short and Overton who looks a fighter but with a cracked rib might be missing for the next couple of Tests. Throw in Ali looking like a part timer at best and their bowling attack hasn't looked like taking 20 wickets from us. I reckon Broad might get dropped for Melbourne.
Yeah alright, fair points too. I'll agree haha!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 am

Would England have been a vastly better/different side with Stokes in it?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 am

The Bedge wrote:Would England have been a vastly better/different side with Stokes in it?

Certainly would have helped their bowling on lifeless pitches, as he is one who could have had the Aussies jumping around a bit
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 am

The Bedge wrote:Would England have been a vastly better/different side with Stokes in it?

It will take a different Stokes to rule the world.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am

I think so, yes. Given he's a quality cricketer they improve immediately but they've not shown any real fight on occasions and where I noted above how the attack bowled to Smith and Marsh in that partnership I think Stokes would have been asking for the ball to try and make something happen.

When Marsh and Smith were about 200 into their partnership Michael Slater pulled out a zinger.

Anderson, Broad and Woakes were all chatting after an Ali over, Overton bowled the next and then Woakes came on.

Slats said "Anderson and Broad have had a chat and decided that Woakes should bowl". Summed up their attitude perfectly and that attitude wouldn't, IMO, be out there is Stokes was.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:18 am

The Poms may have shown a little bit more effort. But even with Stokes it wouldnt have been enough to win any of the matches. They may have 'saved' Perth at best but that is all.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket