Sack Chuck

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Sack Chuck

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:05 am

Booney wrote:His authority has been undermined, how could he possibly continue in the role?

At the risk of being called a key board warrior, the mess the SACA has been for some years has just worsened. Now, don't get me wrong, the farce that is Big Bash and the recruiting of players associated doesn't really come into my thinking. However the manner in which a coach has had players moved on, contracts not renewed etc while he's on sensitive personal leave does, it's also pretty average.

Again the question begs, who / what needs replacing?

I'd hardly suggest that you are a keyboard warrior for stating the bleeding obvious.
We certainly can't do a complete clean out at the top, I'd be looking at moving Chuck on and finding someone passionate about SA cricket that has a strong SA background for the short term.
We need to earmark a solid top order batsman who has probably past his international window.
We also need to put together some long term contracts to ensure the revolving door doesn't continue to occur, that's killing us, look at the list we could've been playing with compared to the list that we are, we go backwards every season with our ins & outs list.
What's done is done, we have a good nucleus of players, there are 6 or 7 first choice players in the team, we need to build a team around them and be patient.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:14 am

"be patient" - That's one thing the SACA haven't been. Since Fleming, Elliott, Botha etc we've been after a quick fix by recruiting our way out of a mess.

Perhaps by doing this it takes the focus off the grade competition, which, many of us ( and people much more learned on the subject than me ) believe is in need of an overhaul?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:21 am

Booney wrote:"be patient" - That's one thing the SACA haven't been. Since Fleming, Elliott, Botha etc we've been after a quick fix by recruiting our way out of a mess.

Perhaps by doing this it takes the focus off the grade competition, which, many of us ( and people much more learned on the subject than me ) believe is in need of an overhaul?

The Grade system "wont" change, clubs will not be willing to merge or break with tradition nor history unfortunately.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby David Brent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:The clear option is to raid NSW.

Sandhu
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Bollinger
Abbott
Copeland

All of these would walk into our side.

Hilfy has been dropped by Tas this week, looking at blooding a couple of younger bowlers. Only 31 could get a few years out of him easily. Make a play Redbacks.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:"be patient" - That's one thing the SACA haven't been. Since Fleming, Elliott, Botha etc we've been after a quick fix by recruiting our way out of a mess.

The Grade system "wont" change, clubs will not be willing to merge or break with tradition nor history unfortunately.

Two clubs did merge, foolishly thinking the load would be shared by other clubs. It wasn't and now we've still got an unwieldy grade comp.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:57 am

David Brent wrote:

Sandhu
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Bollinger
Abbott
Copeland

Hilfy has been dropped by Tas this week, looking at blooding a couple of younger bowlers. Only 31 could get a few years out of him easily. Make a play Redbacks.

Why would any bowler subject themselves to bowling on roads every second week. Players on the wrong side of 30 definately wouldnt come here to toil away on these decks
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby David Brent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:28 am

Jim05 wrote:
David Brent wrote:

Sandhu
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Bollinger
Abbott
Copeland

Why would any bowler subject themselves to bowling on roads every second week. Players on the wrong side of 30 definately wouldnt come here to toil away on these decks

100% see your point but we need to make a play anyway, if we are to improve. Not going to improve unless we start offering good players contracts.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 am

David Brent wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
David Brent wrote:

Sandhu
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Bollinger
Abbott
Copeland

100% see your point but we need to make a play anyway, if we are to improve. Not going to improve unless we start offering good players contracts.

Yep, better bowling on a road, than carrying the drinks.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:47 am

Footy Smart wrote:

You think so? Some may think it's better to bow out of the game with an average below 30 rather than have it bloom out to 35 in the space of a couple of years.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

You think so? Some may think it's better to bow out of the game with an average below 30 rather than have it bloom out to 35 in the space of a couple of years.

You're along time retired..... if you felt you were good enough to still play shield cricket and offered an opportunity to play eslewhere, you'd be silly not to take it up purely cos your stats 'may' blow out. Thats my opinion anyway.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

You're along time retired..... if you felt you were good enough to still play shield cricket and offered an opportunity to play eslewhere, you'd be silly not to take it up purely cos your stats 'may' blow out. Thats my opinion anyway.

All I'm saying is that it's hardly a glowing endorsement to come to Adelaide as a pace bowler knowing that you're going to spend around 2 and a half days in the field every home game bowling on a batting paradise, the wear and tear on the body on top of the limited success you'll get as a team and individually wouldn't be too appealing.
When fit though, I think our bowling stocks stack up quite well.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:28 pm

just think of the money!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11912 times
Been liked: 3627 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:When fit though, I think our bowling stocks stack up quite well.

I think our bowlers are brittle. The depth just isn't there and have to bowl at the top of their game like the last game 2nd dig (early on) just to give our bats a shot.

Pattinson, Siddle and Ahmed are a much better prospect on paper than a Worrall, Mennie and Zampa. It doesn't help when our best swing bowler is injured (Sayers) and Gary Putland has moments of brilliance but can't string more than 2 games together.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:40 pm

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:When fit though, I think our bowling stocks stack up quite well.

I think our bowlers are brittle. The depth just isn't there and have to bowl at the top of their game like the last game 2nd dig (early on) just to give our bats a shot.

Pattinson, Siddle and Ahmed are a much better prospect on paper than a Worrall, Mennie and Zampa. It doesn't help when our best swing bowler is injured (Sayers) and Gary Putland has moments of brilliance but can't string more than 2 games together.

That's what I meant, having Richo, Putland and Sayers at our disposal make us a far more competitive line up, perhaps it's our roads that ruin it for our pace bowlers, 2 metre Peter and Ryno were injury prone.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Will Patto play? Media was reporting he'd injured himself during the weekend.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby RustyCage » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Expecting teams to just to just die and merge off is just like expecting SANFL clubs to merge or die off for the betterment of the AFL. There needs to be a solution that will work for both
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:09 pm

RustyCage wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Expecting teams to just to just die and merge off is just like expecting SANFL clubs to merge or die off for the betterment of the AFL. There needs to be a solution that will work for both

Some Grade clubs are not overly flushed with funds. So change may happen in a commercial sense.
heater31

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Perhaps SACA should merge with ATCA and in the 2nd season formulate a 10 or 8 team promotion/relegation system.

Clubs will maintain their identity, players that wanna push for state selection will hopefully move to div 1 clubs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Perhaps SACA should merge with ATCA and in the 2nd season formulate a 10 or 8 team promotion/relegation system.

Clubs will maintain their identity, players that wanna push for state selection will hopefully move to div 1 clubs.

I can hear the scoffing around the Grade Cricket committee table and the SACA board room now......

All that is going to encourage is what happens on a small scale now. Clubs with funds poaching the players of clubs with out funds! Any interstate First Class recruit is only going to speak with 2 or 3 clubs and take which ever one offers him a house rent free or cash to pay rent....
heater31

Postby MAY-Z » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:Listening to Chuck tonight, and his anger towards decisions being made while he was away, Im convinced its only a matter of time before they replace him...Im sure he knows it also.

Personally I don't think Berry & Neilsen get on at all - Wouldn't surprise me to see Berry give it up soon.

With Berry being away on leave decisions still needed to be made but I think if they are decisions that effect next season whilst berry was still contracted they should've either been deferred or Berry needed to be consulted.

I think potentially losing Botha, Tait & Zampa from the strikers is awful planning for as much as people think T20 is all about power hitting the successful teams are those with quality bowlers and can keep scores down/defend scores. These 3 are quality T20 performers and will be very hard to replace
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket