South Africa vs Australia 2nd Test

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

South Africa vs Australia 2nd Test

Postby NFC » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:28 pm

Personally I'm real worried about this match and I think it could get ugly. We're on a high but with injuries to Siddle and Hilfenhaus that have them in doubt we are looking at not only a young, inexperienced line-up but a bowling line-up that has unfit players. Test cricket is a struggle and can we carry two guys that aren't 100%?

Geeves and Magoffin have both been called in as cover, one for Bollinger who is also injured but now they're in South Africa to possibly replace the two injured bowlers from the 1st test. Geeves is quality IMO and I wouldn't mind seeing him play but a big no thanks on Magoffin.

And now South Africa's coach Mickey Arthur has gone on the front foot saying they're better prepared for Hughes and North. I'm concerned about Hughes as I fear they'll bowl short ball after short ball at him. He'll at least know it's coming but the fact remains at this stage of his career he doesn't play the short ball too well and they'll be targeting him big time. They will pitch the ball up and closer to the stumps for North but he'll be right.

This is a massive test for the Aussies.
NFC
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: South Africa vs Australia 2nd Test

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Has Mickey Arthur considered the fact that maybe the Australians are better prepared for South Africa than we were in the forst couple of Tests in Australia?

I'm not worried at all, I'm looking forward to it. Bring it on South Africa, let's see what you've got.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 pm

We know what they've got. But they've got no idea what we've got becuase we don't even friggin know. If they had trouble with Hughes, North and Hilfy they might have a few with Magoffin, Geeves and McGain. Yes, another test..another three debutants? Good luck trying to plan against that.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Saffies will smash us IMO
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:Saffies will smash us IMO

Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Pidge » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 pm

NFC wrote:Personally I'm real worried about this match and I think it could get ugly. We're on a high but with injuries to Siddle and Hilfenhaus that have them in doubt we are looking at not only a young, inexperienced line-up but a bowling line-up that has unfit players. Test cricket is a struggle and can we carry two guys that aren't 100%?

Geeves and Magoffin have both been called in as cover, one for Bollinger who is also injured but now they're in South Africa to possibly replace the two injured bowlers from the 1st test. Geeves is quality IMO and I wouldn't mind seeing him play but a big no thanks on Magoffin.

And now South Africa's coach Mickey Arthur has gone on the front foot saying they're better prepared for Hughes and North. I'm concerned about Hughes as I fear they'll bowl short ball after short ball at him. He'll at least know it's coming but the fact remains at this stage of his career he doesn't play the short ball too well and they'll be targeting him big time. They will pitch the ball up and closer to the stumps for North but he'll be right.

IMO Magoffin is a great bowler. Many times this season and in the past seasons he has bowled plenty of overs for 2 runs an over. This creates pressure. The guy at the other end may be taking all the wickets, but he is a part of it. This season he has reaped the benefits by taking the wickets himself.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby brod » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Pidge wrote:
NFC wrote:Personally I'm real worried about this match and I think it could get ugly. We're on a high but with injuries to Siddle and Hilfenhaus that have them in doubt we are looking at not only a young, inexperienced line-up but a bowling line-up that has unfit players. Test cricket is a struggle and can we carry two guys that aren't 100%?

IMO Magoffin is a great bowler. Many times this season and in the past seasons he has bowled plenty of overs for 2 runs an over. This creates pressure. The guy at the other end may be taking all the wickets, but he is a part of it. This season he has reaped the benefits by taking the wickets himself.

Isnt this what Mc Donald is doing?
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby Pidge » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:11 pm

brod wrote:
Pidge wrote:

True, but if a spinner comes in, I think he will be dropped.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 pm

brod wrote:
Pidge wrote:

Yes, but Magoffin is a better batsman.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Pup » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 pm

He is quicker and a much better bowler than McDonald.

The second test is a bit of a worry.. Are Hilfenhaus and Siddle going to play? If they do will they be underdone? Can anyone imagine us going into this test with an attack of Johnson,Geeves, Macgoffin, McDonald/McGain and North?? Hello 550+. lets hope Siddle and co are right because that would be one of our worst test attacks for a long long time. I like Geeves too and would like to see him getting a game but we can not afford to have no Siddle IMO. Looks like McGain will struggle to play anyway by all reports.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby brod » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
brod wrote:
Pidge wrote:

Yes, but Magoffin is a better batsman.

regards,

REB

FC Ave
Magoffin 18 (3 fifties)
McDonald 36 (2 hundreds, 15 fifties)
brod
Coach

Postby brod » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Stat from cric info

Since 2002, only two slow bowlers have collected at least three wickets in an innings at Kingsmead: Shane Warne and Anil Kumble
brod
Coach

Postby NFC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:12 am

brod wrote:FC Ave
Magoffin 18 (3 fifties)

It was clearly a joke mate, and I enjoyed it. :lol:
NFC
Coach

Postby Media Park » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:31 am

brod wrote:Stat from cric info

Since 2002, only two slow bowlers have collected at least three wickets in an innings at Kingsmead: Shane Warne and Anil Kumble

And Bryce McGain is definetly no Warne or Kumble.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Pup » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29 am

The third umpire can now use hot spot to help him make correct decisions when either captain refers a decision.

Hilfenhaus and Siddle both trained this morning so looks like they are a good chance to play. Looking forward to this test match.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:44 am

Magoffin 18 (3 fifties)

LMAO. :lol:

Nice work broderik! ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Drop Bear » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Pup wrote:The third umpire can now use hot spot to help him make correct decisions when either captain refers a decision.

Why even have umpires out in the middle?
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby stan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Pup wrote:He is quicker and a much better bowler than McDonald.

The second test is a bit of a worry.. Are Hilfenhaus and Siddle going to play? If they do will they be underdone? Can anyone imagine us going into this test with an attack of Johnson,Geeves, Macgoffin, McDonald/McGain and North?? Hello 550+. lets hope Siddle and co are right because that would be one of our worst test attacks for a long long time. I like Geeves too and would like to see him getting a game but we can not afford to have no Siddle IMO. Looks like McGain will struggle to play anyway by all reports.

You probably would have said that about Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, McDonand and North as well. Or about Johnson, Siddle, Bollinger, McDonald and North.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Swamp Donkey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm

I cant wiat. Aussies will be unchanged in my opinion. If Hilfy is borderline he'll make sure he gets selected as this tour is so important for his test career. Word is that there will be oodles of swing in this match which will suit Johnson, Hilfy and also McDonald. Key again will be the toss. The noted lack of success by spinners on the final couple of days usually means that the pitch holds together and plays well throughout the 5 days.

My tip:

A run feast with tons to punter and katich Smith and Amla are due again.
Hilfy to take 7-9 wickets in the match.
Aussies to win by 2 wickets
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby brod » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Magoffin 18 (3 fifties)