Australia v Windies - Test series

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australia v Windies - Test series

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Oh dear, that's a terrible leave.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Pathetic run outs.
Bowled without playing a shot.

Is it any wonder the Windies are just plain S**T ?????????

It doesnt take a truck load of $$$$ from the ICC to get the Windies back up to standard, Just half a brain to say "NO - WAIT" and USE THE BLOODY BAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Those 2 SIMPLE things may just help a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 450 times

Postby valleys07 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:15 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Pathetic run outs.
Bowled without playing a shot.

Is it any wonder the Windies are just plain S**T ?????????

It doesnt take a truck load of $$$$ from the ICC to get the Windies back up to standard, Just half a brain to say "NO - WAIT" and USE THE BLOODY BAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Those 2 SIMPLE things may just help a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention that you need to take wickets to win games, and the Windies have managed an innings worth in 2 tests.

It's going to be a bloody long road back to the top- one I simply can't see them taking- not with the $$$$$ available in T20 comps.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Seriously how the hell does O'keefe get 2 test matches. What has he done since his horrible debut in the spin friendly conditions of Dubai to make the selectors believe he is any closer to Test standard now?
Lyon is getting alot of turn and bounce, O'keefe not so much, infact none
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:25 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Seriously how the hell does O'keefe get 2 test matches. What has he done since his horrible debut in the spin friendly conditions of Dubai to make the selectors believe he is any closer to Test standard now?

Sadly I have to agree. The sad thing is he is still probably the second best spinner in Australia as his Shield results have shown. Really need one of these younger guys to come through
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Seriously how the hell does O'keefe get 2 test matches. What has he done since his horrible debut in the spin friendly conditions of Dubai to make the selectors believe he is any closer to Test standard now?

Like the majority of Australian cricketers he's been selected on the back of a very good Sheffield shield career, also bowled very well on the recent Australia A tour so he deserves to be selected as the second spinner.

If Lyon was ever unavailable who would you pick as our test match spinner? O'Keefe has got the first class success and experience to be that man, you can't deny that. Or would you pick Fawad Ahmed? Aston Agar is way off getting another opportunity at test level.

But today he hasn't looked threatening at all today, like you've mentioned you turn and bounce for him at all. In his first spell he was bowling too fast and was too negative. He just needs a wicket to get himself going.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10354 times
Been liked: 1522 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:31 pm

SOK gets one.
Holder looked all at sea against both spinners
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:SOK gets one.
Holder looked all at sea against both spinners

Yes! :D
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Like the majority of Australian cricketers he's been selected on the back of a very good Sheffield shield career, also bowled very well on the recent Australia A tour so he deserves to be selected as the second spinner.

If Lyon was ever unavailable who would you pick as our test match spinner? O'Keefe has got the first class success and experience to be that man, you can't deny that. Or would you pick Fawad Ahmed? Aston Agar is way off getting another opportunity at test level.

But today he hasn't looked threatening at all today, like you've mentioned you turn and bounce for him at all. In his first spell he was bowling too fast and was too negative. He just needs a wicket to get himself going.

If i'm picking a 2nd spinner Im picking one on potential preferably a leg spinner. Im not picking a guy who has proven he is not up to it, his performance in Dubai should of had his papers stamped.
If I'm picking someone to replace Lyon I'm picking a quick as we dont have a spinner thats up to it
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:52 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

If i'm picking a 2nd spinner Im picking one on potential preferably a leg spinner. Im not picking a guy who has proven he is not up to it, his performance in Dubai should of had his papers stamped.
If I'm picking someone to replace Lyon I'm picking a quick as we dont have a spinner thats up to it

Ok well looking at what there is in state level at the moment who would you pick on potential?

I think every cricketer deserves a second chance at it if their form warrents it.

People (this is not directly pointed at you Daisy) like to express their opinion on a particular player that shouldn't be there but I like to know who they would pick instead.

The selectors have Scott Boland in the squad which I think is an odd decision and IMO I would have Jackson Bird instead, I still think he's got something to offer at test level.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:53 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Unfortunately that's the trouble with this Mickey Mouse cricket being played when we should be playing shield cricket. When someone goes out injured we are picking guys with no meaningful cricket under their belt for nearly a month. Would rather see another quick play and Warner/Smith bowl a few overs of spin
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Unfortunately that's the trouble with this Mickey Mouse cricket being played when we should be playing shield cricket. When someone goes out injured we are picking guys with no meaningful cricket under their belt for nearly a month. Would rather see another quick play and Warner/Smith bowl a few overs of spin

Yes there's another issue. Because of that I'd prefer the Big Bash towards the end of the summer.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Australia v Windies - Test series

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:01 pm

The positive of 2 spinners is we get the over rate up!
We bowled 9 more overs than required today.
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Good intent from Braithwaite

West Indies end the day on 6/207
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:03 pm

SOK, enjoy this test, may well be your last
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3718 times
Been liked: 1175 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Ok well looking at what there is in state level at the moment who would you pick on potential?

I think every cricketer deserves a second chance at it if their form warrents it.

People (this is not directly pointed at you Daisy) like to express their opinion on a particular player that shouldn't be there but I like to know who they would pick instead.

The selectors have Scott Boland in the squad which I think is an odd decision and IMO I would have Jackson Bird instead, I still think he's got something to offer at test level.

Any one of the legspinners in Boyce, Muirhead, Zampa, dont really care which one. As we saw today O'keefe hardly bowled at all while Lyon bowled 30 overs. IMO picking a 2nd spinner is far different to picking the sole spinner especially in Australian conditions, generally they arent needed until day 4 or 5 as opposed to the subcontinent where they are required day 1. Therefore a bigger risk can be taken.
I agree with you about Boland/Bird.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:26 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:[quote="daysofourlives"]Seriously how the hell does O'keefe get 2 test matches. What has he done since his horrible debut in the spin friendly conditions of Dubai to make the selectors believe he is any closer to Test standard now?

Any one of the legspinners in Boyce, Muirhead, Zampa, dont really care which one. As we saw today O'keefe hardly bowled at all while Lyon bowled 30 overs. IMO picking a 2nd spinner is far different to picking the sole spinner especially in Australian conditions, generally they arent needed until day 4 or 5 as opposed to the subcontinent where they are required day 1. Therefore a bigger risk can be taken.
I agree with you about Boland/Bird.[/quote]
All three of those leg spinners have alot of potential (Muirhead is behind Ahmed in the ranks for Victoria but is only 22) and you'd have to say Zampa is performing the best out of the 3. I don't like picking a player on potential though.

O'Keefe bowled 14 overs which is underbowled for a spinner and definitely didn't look threatening enough like Lyon was. There's not a big justification for the second spinner being selected yet and I felt that the selectors picked a second spinner for the sake of it but it's only the end of day one. Maybe he'll pick up another wicket or two tomorrow.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Grenville » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm

It's terrifying to think what Kohli, Rahane and co would do to O'Keefe in a Test Match on any ground.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:57 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Nathan Lyon won't be replaced anytime soon. He would almost be one of the first players picked
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:01 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Nathan Lyon won't be replaced anytime soon. He would almost be one of the first players picked

Thanks for that captain obvious
daysofourlives
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket