The Ashes 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am

I'd suggest keep Woakes, bring in Foulkes and bring in Stokes.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 am

westozfalcon wrote:The Ashes are lost but I think England should make some changes for the 4th Test to try and find some spark and finish the series on a positive note.

Despite horrendous form, Alastair Cook has earned the right to leave on his own terms so if he has the desire to keep going he must be retained.

I’d drop Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali, and Stuart Broad and bring in highly-rated keeper Ben Foulkes, spinner Mason Crane and fast bowler Mark Wood. Current keeper Jonny Bairstow can play as a number-six batsman.

Woakes is a straight-up-and-down bowler and ordinary batsman. A one-day cricketer and not Test standard.

Broad has a great record but his poor form can’t be tolerated any longer. The only way I’d retain him is if Craig Overton doesn’t overcome his rib injury.
Either way, Wood can bowl consistently above 140km/h and gets good bounce off a length so he should come in to the side. Lack of a genuine quick has been England’s Achilles heel, especially when Australia has three blokes bowling at 90mph plus.

Moeen has apparently been troubled with a finger injury which has affected his bowling. You could give him a reprieve if he was scoring runs but he’s not so should be left out. There’s nothing to lose in giving Crane a run.

I’m assuming Ben Stokes will remain unavailable so this would be my England side:

Cook
Stoneman
Vince
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Foulkes
Overton
Crane
Wood
Anderson

12th Woakes

Wood will definitely come in, he would have played earlier if fit as he is the only quick bowler we have. Don't mind the choice of foakes as by all accounts he is a terrific keeper and it frees up bairstow who also happens to be a gun fielder. I think Overton will be out unfortunately as he has showed a bit which will leave one of broad or woakes in the team. I'd keep Woakes mainly just to teach Broad a lesson cos hes been horrid this series and all year actually.

Full credit to Australia they have been outstanding in Particular Smith (god hes annoyingly good) and your bowlers are brilliant in Australia. Unfortunately to many of our senior players have been awful with Cook, Root, Ali and Broad all having very average series. Never thought our lesser players in Malan, Stoneman & Vince would be our better players but they have been ok just lacked the main guys doing anything other then Anderson who has been pretty decent.

Plenty to play for in the final 2 tests and I don't think this England team will fold like 4 years ago as there is a better spirit in the group as shown by us lasting 5 days every test so far and we have been much more competitive in general but we continue to lose the key moments of each test.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 am

DOC wrote:Perhaps a lone voice, but, Smith acts like many young captains and as yet can not control his outer being. He feels the pressure when leading the side and struggles with his emotions yet when batting is a picture of patience.

Some of you may never have seen Alan Border as a young captain but he was far more demonstrative than Smith has ever been.

We are about to be 3 blot and on our way to five bloody nil. Onya Smithy.

Interesting that Root is suffering from similar demeanour issues to Smith. Both young captains.
The difference is this is Smith's side, all of his team, experience wise, are pretty much his equals. He's got their respect and is showing it on the field.
They're coming with him for the ride.
With Anderson, Broad and Cook in the team, this is not Root's side. Cook's tired and the other two disinterested. It reflects in their showing. And it's resting heavily on Root's shoulders. I feel like I'm watching Mike Atherton again.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 am

Nothing to see here, move on.
Trouble with you colonials is you live in the past.
Ashes series is old hat now so just move on.

You were lucky, end of.
I’ve asked the mods to close this thread down, it’s just pointless and should be archived Ali e with the 2016 Olympus thread. NO AFL IN THE SANFL

:oops: :oops: :oops:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:22 am

johntheclaret wrote:Nothing to see here, move on.
Trouble with you colonials is you live in the past.
Ashes series is old hat now so just move on.

You were lucky, end of.
I’ve asked the mods to close this thread down, it’s just pointless and should be archived Ali e with the 2016 Olympus thread. NO AFL IN THE SANFL

:oops: :oops: :oops:

And to think you sent us out here as punishment.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7518 times
Been liked: 10813 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 am

We came out with ball and chain, ball and chain.
But you go back with nothing again, nothing again.

;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:36 am

Oh when the urn, it comes back home
Oh when the urn it comes back home
Oh how I'd love to be in Perth
Oh when the urn it comes back home
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:42 am

You sent us to Sydney on a rickety ship
Now we'll meet you in Melbourne 3 and zip
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:52 am

Australia have regained the Ashes on the back of Steve Smith, a brilliant bowling attack and the batting cameos of the Marsh brothers. England have performed poorly.

Batting still looking very dodgy. History suggests Warner will come good and Shaun Marsh will continue to produce every now and then.

Mitch Marsh has now given himself some confidence and almost definitely the number 6 spot going in to the South African tour. I would not be at all confident at him coming in at 4-100 on a pitch slightly harder to bat on than the WACA was on Day 3.

We need Khawaja to find some real form going in to the South African tour.

Renshaw and Handscomb, who were looking like the future by the end of last Summer are now on the outer.

Bancroft the jury still very much out.

Maybe Smith is that good (and backed up by the bowlers) that we can ride them through to the next Ashes series. It would be nice to add another couple of world class batsman to the side though.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:55 am

Aerie wrote:Australia have regained the Ashes on the back of Steve Smith, a brilliant bowling attack and the batting cameos of the Marsh brothers. England have performed poorly.

Batting still looking very dodgy. History suggests Warner will come good and Shaun Marsh will continue to produce every now and then.

Mitch Marsh has now given himself some confidence and almost definitely the number 6 spot going in to the South African tour. I would not be at all confident at him coming in at 4-100 on a pitch slightly harder to bat on than the WACA was on Day 3.

Renshaw and Handscomb, who were looking like the future by the end of last Summer are now on the outer.

Maybe Smith is that good (and backed up by the bowlers) that we can ride them through to the next Ashes series. It would be nice to add another couple of world class batsman to the side though.

Good wrap. The unanswered question for me is who is the #2 spinner? Swepson, or will the selectors look at Maxwell for the Sydney test.

Bancroft not cemented yet, but he gets 2 more tests to prove himself.

Starc injured, do the rest him now we have the urn? Do they bring in Bird. Do the even consider Sayers?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:01 am

Corona Man wrote:
Aerie wrote:Australia have regained the Ashes on the back of Steve Smith, a brilliant bowling attack and the batting cameos of the Marsh brothers. England have performed poorly.

Good wrap. The unanswered question for me is who is the #2 spinner? Swepson, or will the selectors look at Maxwell for the Sydney test.

Bancroft not cemented yet, but he gets 2 more tests to prove himself.

Starc injured, do the rest him now we have the urn? Do they bring in Bird. Do the even consider Sayers?

Do we need a second one just because it's Sydney? It would be ideal if Mitch was a more established allround number 6 so we could use him as a 3rd quick to allow two spinners but I think we need to keep the same list and get more overs out of Warner and Smith if needed.

It could catapult Zampa into contention if they do opt for a second spinner,or Swepson as you suggested, no point going for Maxwell and having two offie's.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:10 am

Bancroft - Only played 3 Tests and looks to have the temperament to open. Needs a big on in the next 2 Tests now the pressure is off
Warner - Looks like a man batting on his own at the moment. Doesn't seem to have confidence in the bloke at the other end so is just eeking out runs
Khawaja - Not convinced at all that he's a long term #3
Smith - Freak
S.Marsh - On his last chance and batting like it. Good for him.
M.Marsh - Might be the making of him that innings, can he bowl though? I'm not sure he can.
Paine - Dropped a few off Lyon, that partnership will develop over time, looks sound with his batting and like S.Marsh, last chance.
Starc - Can swap with the next bloke
Cummins - Time to move him to 8 and can he bowl Hazlewood length instead of just bumpers? Is that him or Smith asking for it?
Hazlewood - The backbone of our attack. Looks more and more like a bloke who has found his rhythm, length, pace.
Lyon - In career best form

Khawaja worries me, could Warner or Bancroft bat 3 and bring Renshaw back in to open? I know Renshaw is out of touch at the moment but he could be an option.
Could Weatherald be the longer term answer at #3? He must be in the selectors minds for the future.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 am

Booney wrote:Bancroft - Only played 3 Tests and looks to have the temperament to open. Needs a big on in the next 2 Tests now the pressure is off
Warner - Looks like a man batting on his own at the moment. Doesn't seem to have confidence in the bloke at the other end so is just eeking out runs
Khawaja - Not convinced at all that he's a long term #3
Smith - Freak
S.Marsh - On his last chance and batting like it. Good for him.
M.Marsh - Might be the making of him that innings, can he bowl though? I'm not sure he can.
Paine - Dropped a few off Lyon, that partnership will develop over time, looks sound with his batting and like S.Marsh, last chance.
Starc - Can swap with the next bloke
Cummins - Time to move him to 8 and can he bowl Hazlewood length instead of just bumpers? Is that him or Smith asking for it?
Hazlewood - The backbone of our attack. Looks more and more like a bloke who has found his rhythm, length, pace.
Lyon - In career best form

Khawaja worries me, could Warner or Bancroft bat 3 and bring Renshaw back in to open? I know Renshaw is out of touch at the moment but he could be an option.
Could Weatherald be the longer term answer at #3? He must be in the selectors minds for the future.

Another good wrap. I don't mind the Bancroft 3 call, bring back Renshaw (when in form) perhaps an option for South Africa.

2 spinners in Sydney may not be required, BUT if its a dust bowl, who is next. Agree Maxwell not the option, particularly now that the Bison made runs.

Who is the next quick in line? I like all 3 of them, but if one goes down, who's next?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am

How is the whining about Channel 9 going to the news and not saying ‘Turn to Gem to see more coverage’. People as so spoon feed these days
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

The Ashes 2017/2018

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am

No way do we play two spinners unless starc is ruled out.

Given our pace attack is good enough and quick enough to make something happen on dead tracks, the requirement for a second spinner is much less (than say England who looked pedestrian on the flat waca pitch)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Corona Man » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:52 am

bennymacca wrote:No way do we play two spinners unless starc is ruled out.

Given our pace attack is good enough and quick enough to make something happen on dead tracks, the requirement for a second spinner is much less (than say England who looked pedestrian on the flat waca pitch)

No problem, lets roll out a green top in Sydney and smash 'em....
Corona Man
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:55 am

For me the squad looks like

Warner- simply just having a minor form slump, one innings away from having a big one. I'm certain he will hit a 100 before the series is out
Bancroft- I reckon his worth persisting with, looks to have a good attitude and technique. Happy to concede though he needs a big innings sooner rather than later
Khawaja- a solid number 3 for Australian conditions against no world class spinners. We will win plenty of home series with him at 3. Needs to someone to smash the door down to replace him (hopefully a Travis Head)
Smith- Lock and Load Legend
S.Marsh- this will be the rotating door imho. Marsh is in form and owns the spot this could change at any point, potentially replaced with a Head, Maxwell etc
M.Marsh- great comeback performance, if he can average high 30's early 40's you would take that a 6, especially considering he can offer 5 overs and inninings and potentially the odd wicket taking spell
Paine- similar to SMarsh has the seat at the moment but is only one form slump away/ other player knocking down the door from being on the outdoor. Is solid enough and wont make or break this side.
Starc- wicket taker, wicket taker, wicket taker, hasn't bowled great this series but is still taking wickets, needs to bat at 9
Cummins- needs to bat at 8, quality bowler, not sure about this short stuff tactic but his good enough to adapt.
Hazelwood- lock and load quality!!
Lyon- career best form, perfection foil to the quicks. Spot until he wants to end.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:11 pm

The next time Shaun Marsh is dropped he is done at Test level. 34 years of age and has the spot barring injury until next Australian summer...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby beef » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Don't know where else to put this. Is Dave Warner the best ever fielder that never hits the stumps. Good at stopping runs and singles but never seems to hit the stumps when there is a run out chance.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'd suggest keep Woakes, bring in Foulkes and bring in Stokes.

Different.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket