Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:34 pm

daysofourlives wrote:First ODI tomorrow, who knew!!
Bring it on! I've been very much looking forward to our International summer, will be awesome to finally see some international cricket and it doesn't get bigger than Australia v India. I hope our boys are up and about and ready to beat the Indians in all 3 forms!

Australia's possible 11 for the first ODI-
Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Brodlach » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:35 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Bring it on! I've been very much looking forward to our International summer, will be awesome to finally see some international cricket and it doesn't get bigger than Australia v India. I hope our boys are up and about and ready to beat the Indians in all 3 forms!

Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Agree! I’ve been waiting for the International cricket since round 2 of the AFL season
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Why would Stoinis be in the mix? He shouldve been put in the never again basket after the last World Cup. Simply not up to International cricket, good at tearing apart pop gun attacks in ther BBL
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:01 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Why would Stoinis be in the mix? He shouldve been put in the never again basket after the last World Cup. Simply not up to International cricket, good at tearing apart pop gun attacks in ther BBL

I read this article earlier where it suggests the Aussies will go with both Maxwell and Stoinis as the 2 allrounders-

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/steve-s ... 2020-11-26
Australia look set to make just one change to their XI for the first Dettol ODI Series clash against India as captain Aaron Finch praised the bowling of allrounders Glenn Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis.

Coach Justin Langer said on Wednesday Australia's selectors were leaning towards the sole change, with Steve Smith coming in for the injured Mitch Marsh, but were weighing up playing an extra allrounder.

While Finch says having another bowling option who bats in the top seven is handy, he suggested the quality of overs is what matters rather than picking allrounders "for the sake of it".

If Australia decide to go with the two allrounders to support an expected four-prong bowling attack of Mitch Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Adam Zampa, it means Maxwell and Stoinis will shoulder the bulk of the remaining overs.

Fortunately the pair bowled regularly throughout the Indian Premier League and their progress bowling with the white-ball has impressed Finch. 

"What Maxi's shown in T20 cricket in particular is his bowling keeps improving all the time," Finch said today.

"I think Marcus Stoinis has proved that as well with the amount of exposure he's had over the past couple of years bowling at the death, it's really important for us and it gives us a lot of flexibility in there.

"In England we had the three allrounders with Mitch (Marsh) so you can dissect the 10 overs a little bit easier, I guess.

"You're still expecting when that fifth bowler is, or the combination of allrounders are, bowling that minimum 10 overs that they're still having an impact on the game.

"It's not about picking allrounders just for the sake of it, it's also a key bowling spot as well."
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:09 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

I've said it before but I don't like having Labuschagne and Smith batting 3 and 4 in the ODI's.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 am

Not a big ODI fan but actually looking forward to getting home, cracking a few beers and watching a bit of cricket.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:23 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

I've said it before but I don't like having Labuschagne and Smith batting 3 and 4 in the ODI's.

Yeah I agree.

It works fine if we get off to a 0/50 (8) type start, Smith & Lauschange can then come in a guarantee we get a top heavy score. If one of Warner or Finch fails it puts the team under immense pressure and relies solely on Stoinis and Maxwell to hit big late. We both no how reliable they generally are.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:51 am

I’d bat Carey at 3 and Marnus at 5 after Smith.
We need 300 to beat India.
250-280 won’t cut it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:12 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Finch
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Carey
Stoinis
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Yeah I agree.

It works fine if we get off to a 0/50 (8) type start, Smith & Lauschange can then come in a guarantee we get a top heavy score. If one of Warner or Finch fails it puts the team under immense pressure and relies solely on Stoinis and Maxwell to hit big late. We both no how reliable they generally are.

I get your point LM and it is one of the more intriguing parts of the ODI side IMO, we'll see how it goes obviously.

I think depending on the situation the order will change with one of Carey, Stoinis of Maxwell coming in at 4 ahead of Smith or Labuschagne. I think the three at 5, 6 and 7 will also change depending on the situation from match to match. Langer and Finch have constantly talked about the batting order flexibility and they obviously think the players mentioned are the best at adaptating to that.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:23 am

amber_fluid wrote:I’d bat Carey at 3 and Marnus at 5 after Smith.
250-280 won’t cut it.
Carey is not a number 3 though (either an opener or middle order) and it wouldn't work IMO, still need a genuine number 3 in ODI cricket I reckon. Smith is the best option and since Ponting retired the selectors have tried really attacking options at 3 (Darcy Short immediately comes to mind) and it hasn't really worked.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:33 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.
Carey is not a number 3 though (either an opener or middle order) and it wouldn't work IMO, still need a genuine number 3 in ODI cricket I reckon. Smith is the best option and since Ponting retired the selectors have tried really attacking options at 3 (Darcy Short immediately comes to mind) and it hasn't really worked.

Yeah fair point
I’d actually move Finch on and open with Carey.
Finch has been great but I think it’s time either him or Warner move aside in the ODI.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:37 am

250-280 won’t cut it.

I just don't think we have room for both Smith and Marnus, they're both run a ball type operators, and that's only if they make 70 odd, neither are quick runscorers from the get go.

We need 300 as a bare minimum, we'll struggle to make that if them two occupy the crease for any great length of time.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.

I just don't think we have room for both Smith and Marnus, they're both run a ball type operators, and that's only if they make 70 odd, neither are quick runscorers from the get go.

We need 300 as a bare minimum, we'll struggle to make that if them two occupy the crease for any great length of time.

I’d think about leaving Marnus out as well for team balance.
Smith can play the big shots if needed but not sure about Marnus.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:42 am

amber_fluid wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.

Yeah fair point
I’d actually move Finch on and open with Carey.
Finch has been great but I think it’s time either him or Warner move aside in the ODI.

Finch is the skipper isn't he? He'll need a summer of failures at least to be dropped.

I do agree with you though, having an opener that keeps gives the team far better balance and allows an extra all-rounder/part time bowler to sly in a few overs, Kaluwitharana was the pioneer of it and then we followed with Gilchrist.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:44 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.

I’d think about leaving Marnus out as well for team balance.
Smith can play the big shots if needed but not sure about Marnus.

Absolutely, Marnus tends to worry too much about not getting out, Smith is adventurous.

Marnus should concentrate on being a test player only IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:48 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
I get your point LM and it is one of the more intriguing parts of the ODI side IMO, we'll see how it goes obviously.

I think depending on the situation the order will change with one of Carey, Stoinis of Maxwell coming in at 4 ahead of Smith or Labuschagne. I think the three at 5, 6 and 7 will also change depending on the situation from match to match. Langer and Finch have constantly talked about the batting order flexibility and they obviously think the players mentioned are the best at adaptating to that.

So Smith or Marnus could potentially play no role in the side whatsoever? I'd sooner have an extra bowler as usually someone gets taken to the cleaners and variation is important in the ODI's.

I'd be chucking Green in there right now, get him going against the best from the start.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.

It all remains to be seen doesn't it mate, what 11 is picked, what the batting order is and how the Smith and Labuschagne combination work together in the upcoming series. Just another reason why I'm really looking forward to it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 am

whufc wrote:Not a big ODI fan but actually looking forward to getting home, cracking a few beers and watching a bit of cricket.

I like ODI's, it's more strategic and the game can ebb and flow.

Loved captaining the 40 over matches, do you bowl your opener out because he has 3/12 off 5 or do you save him? Do you elevate a pinch hitter who probably won't get a hit anyway but could snare 30 off 15? There's a lot of games inside the game.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.

It all remains to be seen doesn't it mate, what 11 is picked, what the batting order is and how the Smith and Labuschagne combination work together in the upcoming series. Just another reason why I'm really looking forward to it.

Is it on FTA?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
250-280 won’t cut it.

Is it on FTA?
No it's not.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket