England five-minute wonders?

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Postby JK » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:44 pm

I'd still have my money on the Poms at this stage unfortunately ... Might be the first drawn Ashes series I've witnessed? :shock:
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:52 pm

Its probably hard to say either way at this stage CP. I'll hold back my tip until i feel confident we have addressed the problems in our middle order. Hussey is fine at five, but Symonds at 6 and Hodge at 4 worry me a little. The problem with Hodge is that he is either Hot or damn cold!
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:31 am

Constance_Perm wrote:I'd still have my money on the Poms at this stage unfortunately ... Might be the first drawn Ashes series I've witnessed? :shock:

I'll have a bit of that action Connie. They won't do dick over here.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby JK » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:44 am

Im sure we can work something out Rikkeboy, will be yet another of those bets that I hope I lose, but if they bring the same or similar squad over here I think we'll struggle again ... Both batting lineups seem fairly even (although the Aussies penchant for mild or heavy collapses in England also came to light against the Proteas a couple of times), but I think they have a clear advantage in the bowling stakes at this stage, will be interesting to see the makeup of our attack in just under 12 months time ... Hope I'm wrong and the Aussies win in a canter though!!
JK
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:26 pm

How can England have a 'clear advantage' in bowling Connie? No spinners, Harmison has NEVER had a decent away series in his career, Simon Jones constantly injured..a lot will fall on Flintoff's ability to take wickets. No way will these blokes bowl anywhere near what they produced on our wickets.

Send all cheques to

Rik E Boy
po box 69
IPSWICH QLD

Thank you sir, may I have another!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby JK » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:57 pm

Dunno mate, Harmison will be well suited by the majority of pitches over here, Jones Im sure will be up for the series and Flintoff is unquestionably world class (I'll leave Hoggard out because I don't rate him), sure they appear spinnerless-in-seattle but I don't think it's spin the Aussies struggle with so much and naturally take a clear advantage in this area with Sir Shane BUT, compare their pace attack to Pigeon (world class at best but can he be relied upon to wind back the clock and maintain fitness?), Lee (quality bowler when on song) and then take your pick out of Bracken, Clark, Lewis, Dorey etc.

Much can change I guess in the next 10 months or so, will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, look forward to applying money to mouth when we're closer to the series commencement! :wink:
JK
Coach

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:44 am

No great shame losing in the sub-continent, which isn't exactly a stroll in the park.

Especially when playing Pakistan, the enigma of world cricket - champs one day, chumps the next.

FWIW, the Ashes was line-ball.

But England got over the line and deserved the series win.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby stan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:24 am

Ashes series here will be great. Should be some excellent cricket. Its been a while since we have had some good hard cricket to watch.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket