Micheal Slaters commentary style

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Micheal Slaters commentary style

Postby The_Bay_Boy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:15 pm

I quite enjoy listening to the cricket on the radio and something i've noticed, it doesn't matter whats going on in the game, but Micheal Slater can some how relate it to himself and his career.

Example: Say a player is in the nervous 90's about to get their 100 and slats will say something like...

"i remember when i was in the 90's on many occasions, and how great it feels to finnally get the century"

or if a bowler has just taken 5 wickets in an innings, Slat's will say something like.....

" Oh yeah i remember when i took 5 wickets in a county game in england once"

It doesn't matter what the situation is, Slater will always bring it back to himself.

Is it just me... or has anyone else noticed this and does it piss everyone else off too???
The_Bay_Boy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby RoostersRuleTheWorld ! » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:07 pm

He is Not that Bad,
Could do with a lot Worse !
Better than the Rest !
RoostersRuleTheWorld !
Under 16s

Postby noone » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:48 am

cant say ive noticed it, and its better than half the radio commentators who prattle on about Gregory Simpleton in the 1856 match at lords where he scored 4 from 124 balls.

Or the Tv commentators who just seem to have these agenda's there always pushing. I rekon there are a page of 'triggers' that when happen tell the commentators to talk about and show 500 replays for the next 2 hours. A common one being once a nic falls short of the slips they prattle on about how the slips are too far back. (similar ones are if the ball goes through a gap in the slips)
noone
Rookie

slater

Postby bayman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 am

i actually quite like listening to him whether its fox or the abc another one i like is geoff lawson & boof was good in england but i want him playing for sa & not in the commentry box also i like english commentator j.agnew
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Re: Micheal Slaters commentary style

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:59 am

The_Bay_Boy wrote:I quite enjoy listening to the cricket on the radio and something i've noticed, it doesn't matter whats going on in the game, but Micheal Slater can some how relate it to himself and his career.

Example: Say a player is in the nervous 90's about to get their 100 and slats will say something like...

"i remember when i was in the 90's on many occasions, and how great it feels to finnally get the century"

or if a bowler has just taken 5 wickets in an innings, Slat's will say something like.....

" Oh yeah i remember when i took 5 wickets in a county game in england once"

It doesn't matter what the situation is, Slater will always bring it back to himself.

Is it just me... or has anyone else noticed this and does it piss everyone else off too???

A lot of inexperienced commentators do this. It is the experienced ones like Ian Chappell or Kerry O'Keefee who keep doing it that pi55 me off.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby The_Bay_Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:15 pm

I guess it must be just me then. I realise all commentators do this to some extent, but slats has just stood out in my mind as someone who just doesn't stop relating to himself and his career.
The_Bay_Boy
Rookie

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket