Team Aussie

Winter and Summer

Team Aussie

Postby JAS » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 pm

Here's the full list for your guys and gals going to the games :D

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/beij ... 04,00.html

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Team Aussie

Postby Tassie Blues » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 pm

Its a good strong list a little less than the last games on Athens due to Australian teams in Baseball and mens indoor volleyball missing qualification. Baseball qualification was a bit of a joke 8 teams and 4 of them from Asia no wonder the sport is making its last aperance at the Olympics.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby JAS » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Must admit I was a bit surprised that you guys hadn't made it through in the baseball. I assumed the Aussies would be pretty high in the rankings and a good chance to qualify. But then I was surprised that the Brit baseball team got through to the qualifiers :? Although even if they had the funding to let them play I wouldn't expect them to qualify.

Hope getting rid of baseball won't just make way for more stuff like synchronized swimming :evil:

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tassie Blues » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:37 pm

They will vote in October next year on adding new sports for the 2016 games I think there maybe another marshal arts getting in due to the number of voting members had gone up in Asia. Baseball and softball are both trying to get back in. Rugby 7’s Netball and squash are also after a spot. I would be very disappointed if dart or dance sorts go admitted to the games program.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Postby Thiele » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Grant Hackett broke the 800m World record today

DUAL Olympic champion Grant Hackett sent an ominous warning to his Beijing rivals today when he smashed his own 800m freestyle world record.
In his final race before heading overseas for the final leg of his Beijing preparations, the distance ace slashed almost two seconds off of his 2001 world mark with his brilliant 7min 23.42sec swim at the Victorian shortcourse championships.

The swim is a major confidence boost for 28-year-old Hackett, who is aiming to become the first man to win three straight Olympic 1500m freestyle crowns in Beijing.

With his pop star wife Candice Alley watching on from the stands, an elated Hackett pumped the air with his fist after touching the wall and seeing his time.

Hackett showed he was in strong form at the Victorian championships on Saturday when he fell 0.58sec shy of his 400m freestyle shortcourse world record.

But he admitted he had not expected to produce a world record performance.

Hackett leaves tonight with his training partners for a week in Singapore before meeting up with the of the Australian squad in Kuala Lumpur next weekend.
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 81 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Triple gold-medal winner James Tomkins will lead the Australian Olympic team into Friday's opening ceremony as flag bearer, a fitting end to what may be the veteran rower's sixth and final Games.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:49 am

magpie in the 80's wrote:Triple gold-medal winner James Tomkins will lead the Australian Olympic team into Friday's opening ceremony as flag bearer, a fitting end to what may be the veteran rower's sixth and final Games.

Very good choice and well deserved not sure how secret it was as sportsbet stopped taking money on this one a while ago.

Hackett to carry the flag in the closing if he wins the 1500m if not Libby Trickett will carry it.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Postby Thiele » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:16 pm

James Tonkins to carry in the Australian flag for tomorrow nights Opening Ceremony http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/beij ... 24,00.html

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Postby Thiele » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:04 pm

Well done to every Australian that competed you did us Proud =D> =D> :prayer: :prayer:

Thiele
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics