Winter Olympics 2010 - Whistler

Winter and Summer

Re: Winter Olympics 2010 - Whistler

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 pm

Kahuna wrote:Yesterday there was an article in The Australian (page 32) saying that Foxtel was giving Olympics coverage free of charge to "loyal customers".
Apparently they sent out letters to people who had been with them for 5 years or more. I have been with them for far longer than that but received no letter.
I rang them up and after being transferred around and being on the phone for half an hour they credited my account with $65 and then connected the channels for me.

Some pointers if anyone wishes to try it--
1/ When you ring,the recorded voice will ask if you want to order the Olympics,say "no" otherwise you will be charged for it.
2/ At the voice prompt say "disconnect" and you will be transferred to a sales person.
3/Be polite
4/ Tell them about the article and that you want the freebie. They may tell you that it is an offer for Foxtel Direct customers only (as opposed to Foxtel through Telstra). Ask for it anyway and if they say no ask to be put through to Disconnections.You will have to go through the story again but these people have the power to bargain with you to keep your business.You may actually have to ask him to disconnect you but I doubt if they will let it get to that. It is a game of brinkmanship.

No guarantees but good luck

edit:grammar

Pity I moved out of home last year - Dad's had Foxtel for 14 years (way back when there wer elike 20 channels) so I'm sure he would have got the offer.

The take up must have been pretty slow if they did that. For me, it's $50 well spent and I'd gladly pay again for the London coverage in 2012
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 198 times
Been liked: 34 times

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:24 pm

There was an hour delay during the mens 500m long track finals due to the condition of the ice at Richmond Oval.

Must be a thing at the moment with mishaps at arenas named Richmond Oval!
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby NFC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Yeah we've had Fox for 15 years. We paid for the Olympic channels in advance then I hear about rewarding loyal customers, too bad that we've already paid...Then I hear that that loyalty deal thingy isn't for those who are through Telstra as we are, but I read that post above and see that you could probably work your way around that.

Ah well, $50 well spent, Fox's coverage is brilliant, I haven't watched 9 other than the opening ceremony.
NFC
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Brucetiki » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 pm

playing Canada in ice hockey is like playing Centrals in a final
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Anyone seen the Norwegian Curling team's pants :shock:
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 am

Brucetiki wrote:Anyone seen the Norwegian Curling team's pants :shock:

I've seen beter pyjamas!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:23 am

Brucetiki wrote:playing Canada in ice hockey is like playing Centrals in a final

Back in the early part of the 1900's it was, but the Canadian Ice Hockey team has had many lean years and olympics since. And thrashing the pants off Norway is like CDFC thrashing a mediocre amatuer div 2 amatuer side.

I really, really hope we see a Canada v Russia final. IMO, the Ruski's are the team to beat. They have arguably the two best players in the worls in Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin, while Pavel Datsyuk holds his own too. In the NHL last season, Ovechkin and Malkin boxed on twice and belted the crap out of each other. Then half way through the season they realised that they are in the prime of Russian Ice Hockey, so they kissed and made up. So lookout everyone else with those 2 working together!!!

On Canada, they're not short of quality themselves, with Sidney Crosby, Jarome Iginla (who scored a hattrick last night - p.s. Go Flames Go!!!), Roberto Luongo (the best goal tender in the world) and Joe Thornton.

The yanks and Fins will also be tough to beat, but for entertainment value, lets hope we see Canada v Russia in the gold medal game.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 am

I might be the odd soul out here but I enjoy watching most of the other Winter Olympic sports before Ice Hockey ... must be my innate dislike for North American sports commentators! ;)
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:22 am

dedja wrote:I might be the odd soul out here but I enjoy watching most of the other Winter Olympic sports before Ice Hockey ... must be my innate dislike for North American sports commentators! ;)

I actually think the Ice Hockey commentators do a stellar job. But I know what you mean, the baseball, football, backetball commentators can be cringeworthy at the best of times.

I just like the pace and constant excitement of ice hockey.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 am

One of the best events of the entire games (IMO) is on today - the snowboard half pipe.

Shaun White is hot fav to win it, and judging by qualifying score, he'll win easily and will deserve it - the man is a FREAK.

Aussie Ben Mates has qualified for the Quarter finals, with a solid enough qualifying run. He will need to step up if we wants to compete in the final though.

It's hilarious listening to James Brayshaw pull out some snowboard slang like "laying it down" and "washing out" and "stomping it". I guess he's been instructed to do that, but I doubt he'd have ever strapped into a snowboard in his life! He's doing a fair job commentating though.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 am

We got 3 foxtel boxes in the house, and got the package for free. Its an absolute bonus because im hooked to the TV. Wouldnt have paid for it otherwise, but in the future i may. Might have to wait until the last minute just incase of these offers in the future lol

Best sport ever = snowboard cross! I love it!
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:14 am

Torah Bright is currently leading the Ladies Halfpipe (with scores of 41.3 and 45.8 ), Holly Crawford is currently 7th, (scoring 38.6 and 39.5).

Top 6 go straight through to the final, 7-18 play off in the semis.

And just to prove how bad 9's 'coverage' is, they're not even showing the event (of course it's live on Foxtel, but work doesn't have Foxtel :( ) You can follow the event live here - http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-sn ... 900Jn.html
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:37 am

Brucetiki wrote:Torah Bright is currently leading the Ladies Halfpipe (with scores of 41.3 and 45.8 ), Holly Crawford is currently 7th, (scoring 38.6 and 39.5).

Top 6 go straight through to the final, 7-18 play off in the semis.

And just to prove how bad 9's 'coverage' is, they're not even showing the event (of course it's live on Foxtel, but work doesn't have Foxtel :( ) You can follow the event live here - http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-sn ... 900Jn.html

Amazing isn't it. Torah Bright is probably our best gold medal hope and 9 don't show it. FWITS.

Anyhoo, How good is Torah Bright!!!! She gets massively higher than almost all the other girls and links her tricks together so much smoother. Practice makes perfect I guess. She's a star. Fingers crossed she beat that seppo and bring home a gold.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 am

CoverKing wrote:Best sport ever = snowboard cross! I love it!

Yep, snowboard cross is fantastic. Such an exciting sport with 4 boarders racing off against each other.

I'm loving the half pipe too. If you get a chance, try to catch Shaun White's effort last night in the final. Amazing. He is the Don Bradman of snowboarding.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 am

Holly Crawford about to do her first run in the ladies halfpipe semis (and 9 are actually doing this live :shock: )

Stacked it and only scored 17.3 (currently in last place after the first run).

Edit - she redeemed herself second time round, scoring 41.7 to now lead the semi final
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 am

Brucetiki wrote:Holly Crawford about to do her first run in the ladies halfpipe semis (and 9 are actually doing this live :shock: )

Edit - she redeemed herself second time round, scoring 41.7 to now lead the semi final

KICK ASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Get in there you Aussies!

2 medals please ladies!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 am

Holly Crawford now officially joins Torah Bright in the final.

Wicked.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 am

devilsadvocate wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Holly Crawford about to do her first run in the ladies halfpipe semis (and 9 are actually doing this live :shock: )

KICK ASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Get in there you Aussies!

2 medals please ladies!!

That score actually resulted in her taking top spot in the semi (after starting the second run dead last), and I reckon we're in a good position for 2 medals woohoo!

The final starts at 12:30
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 pm

This potentially could be one of Australia's best days ever at the Winter Olympics - Emma Lincoln-Smith is currently 6th in the womens Skeleton 0.45 seconds behind the leader and 0.13 seconds behind third place
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Holly Crawford has scored 23.9 in her first run - 9th overall
Torah Bright has scored 5.9 in her first run - 11th overall (effectively last as one didn't start).

Lets hope the second runs are much better.
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics