Winter Olympics 2010 - Whistler

Winter and Summer

Re: Winter Olympics 2010 - Whistler

Postby Brucetiki » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm

With 1 gold and 1 silver, Dale Begg-Smith becomes Australia's most successful Winter Olympian (overtaking Alicia Camplin and Steven Bradbury who both have 1 gold and 1 bronze)
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 34 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:With 1 gold and 1 silver, Dale Begg-Smith becomes Australia's most successful Winter Olympian (overtaking Alicia Camplin and Steven Bradbury who both have 1 gold and 1 bronze)

What a legend!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby BIG SEXY » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:23 pm

anyone know where on the net i can find video of the luge crash?
car 777 2010 class 7 state champions!
BIG SEXY
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Kahuna » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm

BIG SEXY wrote:anyone know where on the net i can find video of the luge crash?

Why would anybody want to see that?
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Squawk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 pm

The IOC is launching copyright claims against anyone attempting to load it on to you tube.

Methinks they dont want it out there as only partial footage has been broadcast on licensed networks. Even that looked gruesome.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Postby JAS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 am

Squawk wrote:

The IOC is launching copyright claims against anyone attempting to load it on to you tube.

Methinks they dont want it out there as only partial footage has been broadcast on licensed networks. Even that looked gruesome.

I would have thought that there would also be rules about broadcasting footage of a person dying...if only out of consideration and respect for the family. Very, very wrong to show it imo no matter what the circumstances and sick to want to see it.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Postby BIG SEXY » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 am

from my understanding the incident has been broadcast on TV a few times. id like to see what actually happened to cause it rather than listen to one person say iots the track, next person say its the driver.
dont try and make me feel inferior by calling me sick for wanting to see it. ive seen more mutilated bodies than (dare i say it) anyone on this forum. whether i want to see footage to make up my mind on how it happened or i enjoy seeing carnage is up to me. if you dont want to watch it and think the whole world should have some respect for his family dont watch it.
car 777 2010 class 7 state champions!
BIG SEXY
League - Best 21

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 am

Has anyone noticed the constant warnings against reproduction at the beginning of each broadcast? Never seen that before.

On the incident - I think it's reasonable for it to be replayed and if I was one of the other athletes competing, I'd want to watch it 1000 times to ensure I wasn't in the same position.

It's a very sad incident, but it happened and could happen again at any moment.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:08 am

BIG SEXY wrote: ive seen more mutilated bodies than (dare i say it) anyone on this forum.

It's not a pi**ing contest but I will confirm that BS is not BSing in regards to this comment.
Also, BS would be wanting to look at it from a professional perspective I would guess.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am

Back on the Dale Begg-Smith silver, did anyone see Eddie interviewing him last night and banging on about how he should have won gold and how the judges got their assessment of Alexandre Bilodeau's first jump all wrong, etc, etc?

They replayed each run about 10 times and banged on and on and on about it. FFS, Bilodeau won, Begg Smith came second. Nothing's going to change that and crapping on about it won't make Dale feel any better. I thought Begg-Smith handled the ridiculous situation very well. He seems like a very level headed bloke and a great asset to the Australian Skiing Team.

Then, to really rub it in, Eddie interviewed Bilodeau immediately after.

Very, VERY poor form Eddie and Channel 9.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:Has anyone noticed the constant warnings against reproduction at the beginning of each broadcast? Never seen that before.

I've seen them quite a bit in previous Olympics - earliest I recall them being contstant was Atlanta
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:39 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:Back on the Dale Begg-Smith silver, did anyone see Eddie interviewing him last night and banging on about how he should have won gold and how the judges got their assessment of Alexandre Bilodeau's first jump all wrong, etc, etc?

They replayed each run about 10 times and banged on and on and on about it. FFS, Bilodeau won, Begg Smith came second. Nothing's going to change that and crapping on about it won't make Dale feel any better. I thought Begg-Smith handled the ridiculous situation very well. He seems like a very level headed bloke and a great asset to the Australian Skiing Team.

Then, to really rub it in, Eddie interviewed Bilodeau immediately after.

Very, VERY poor form Eddie and Channel 9.

I am so, so glad I paid the $50 for Foxtels coverage. Foxtel allow the events to broadcast freely and ad-free. Only gripe I have with Foxtel's coverage is 4 channels was a bit of overkill as at times it becomes a case of 'seen it, seen it, seen it'.

I flicked back and forth from Channel 9's 'coverage' over a couple of hours and all it was was Eddie banging on about how Begg-Smith should have won gold. Actually, before they interviewed Bilodeau, I was convinced 9 weren't even in Vancouver and were still broadcasting from Melbourne.

Worst part about Channel 9 is that they'll cut to an ad at the worst possible times!

Channel 9's coverage has been cringeworthy to say the least - and to think they've got the next couple of Olympics :shock:
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby on the rails » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:54 pm

Brucetiki wrote: Worst part about Channel 9 is that they'll cut to an ad at the worst possible times!

Channel 9's coverage has been cringeworthy to say the least - and to think they've got the next couple of Olympics :shock:

Exactly like Ch 7 and the Summer Olympics - same shit different channel!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Brucetiki wrote:I am so, so glad I paid the $50 for Foxtels coverage. Foxtel allow the events to broadcast freely and ad-free. Only gripe I have with Foxtel's coverage is 4 channels was a bit of overkill as at times it becomes a case of 'seen it, seen it, seen it'.

I flicked back and forth from Channel 9's 'coverage' over a couple of hours and all it was was Eddie banging on about how Begg-Smith should have won gold. Actually, before they interviewed Bilodeau, I was convinced 9 weren't even in Vancouver and were still broadcasting from Melbourne.

Worst part about Channel 9 is that they'll cut to an ad at the worst possible times!

I got the games free when I signed up to Foxtel and can agree - nine is shocking. I had to bear it last night at the in-laws. But that's the last time I'll waste my time with the winter games on nine.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:10 pm

on the rails wrote:
Brucetiki wrote: Worst part about Channel 9 is that they'll cut to an ad at the worst possible times!

Exactly like Ch 7 and the Summer Olympics - same **** different channel!

But Channel 7 actually showed events - 9 just shows Eddie and Ken Sutcliffe in a studio whingeing about Begg-Smith's silver
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Kahuna » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm

[quote="devilsadvocate"
I got the games free when I signed up to Foxtel and can agree - nine is shocking. I had to bear it last night at the in-laws. But that's the last time I'll waste my time with the winter games on nine.[/quote]

Yesterday there was an article in The Australian (page 32) saying that Foxtel was giving Olympics coverage free of charge to "loyal customers".
Apparently they sent out letters to people who had been with them for 5 years or more. I have been with them for far longer than that but received no letter.
I rang them up and after being transferred around and being on the phone for half an hour they credited my account with $65 and then connected the channels for me.

Some pointers if anyone wishes to try it--
1/ When you ring,the recorded voice will ask if you want to order the Olympics,say "no" otherwise you will be charged for it.
2/ At the voice prompt say "disconnect" and you will be transferred to a sales person.
3/Be polite
4/ Tell them about the article and that you want the freebie. They may tell you that it is an offer for Foxtel Direct customers only (as opposed to Foxtel through Telstra). Ask for it anyway and if they say no ask to be put through to Disconnections.You will have to go through the story again but these people have the power to bargain with you to keep your business.You may actually have to ask him to disconnect you but I doubt if they will let it get to that. It is a game of brinkmanship.

No guarantees but good luck

edit:grammar
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Hahaha, well played Kahuna.

Big lesson in life - if you don't ask, you don't get!!!!!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Thiele » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Wishing Bree Munro all the best for sunday because she has a West Adelaide connection
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby NFC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Foxtel's coverage is sensational, have been watching hours of coverage.
NFC
Coach

Postby Columbo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Thought I'd get on here tonight and ask what others thought about the Ch 9 Coverage...but the posts above have answered my question. Like many I work all day so was hoping to be able to see some highlights at night...but alas everytime I flick to 9 they are showing feature stories or doing interviews in the studio, so far i have managed to see a bit of Luge and a bit of the Moguls....doubt Ill see the Curling!!! :lol:
Might have to give foxtel a buzz and see how loyal they think I am after about 10 years.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics