Sailing

Winter and Summer

Sailing

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Aussie Tom Slingsby only needs to finish 8th to win Gold in the Laser Class.
Already has a silver at worst
Currently level on course with his Cypriot rival
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Sailing

Postby fish » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:Aussie Tom Slingsby only needs to finish 8th to win Gold in the Laser Class.
Funny how the Aussies start up a thread about a sport just as they have an imminent chance of getting a Gold! :lol:
fish
Coach

Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 pm

fish wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Aussie Tom Slingsby only needs to finish 8th to win Gold in the Laser Class.
Funny how the Aussies start up a thread about a sport just as they have an imminent chance of getting a Gold! :lol:

I went looking for the thread earlier tonight, could of sworn I saw one yesterday.
Think we have a few medal chances in the Sailing, be nice to pinch a gold or 2
Jim05
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:59 pm

So it seems that it doesn't matter where the Aussie finishes, as long as the Cypriot finishes worse... I think?
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby fish » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 am

Reminds me of the Americas Cup all those years ago. We win it and suddenly everyone is a sailing enthusiast! :roll:
fish
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

Sploosh wrote:So it seems that it doesn't matter where the Aussie finishes, as long as the Cypriot finishes worse... I think?

If the Cypriot wins then Slingsby only has to finish 8th.
Slingsby has to finish 8 places behind the Cypriot.
Aint going to happen, Slingsby will win Gold
Jim05
Coach

Postby fish » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

No disrespect to Tom Slingsby from what I can gather he is a true world-class sailor he must be spewing about all the attention given to the celebrity status tweeting swimmers...
fish
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:07 am

GOLD!
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:07 am

fish wrote:No disrespect to Tom Slingsby from what I can gather he is a true world-class sailor he must be spewing about all the attention given to the celebrity status tweeting swimmers...

Yep, is the current world champion yet most Aussies have probably never heard of him
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 am

You beauty, love it when we win Gold in a sport that is relatively unknown.
Some of the Primma Donna swimmers could learn a thing or 2 from this guy.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:28 am

Part of the whole olympic experience is cheering on someone you've never heard of in a sport you've never cared for before isn't it?

By my calculations the 49er guys are more or less over the line with 2 races left. If NZ win the last two races, the aussies would need to finish 8th of 10 in the medal race for gold even if they bomb out badly in the next race. Massive chance of a sure gold before the medal race (if my possibly very dodgy working out is correct).
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 am

NZ not winning the race and look like they'll finish behind Australia. Barring a capsize or something dramatic the medal race is a procession for Australia with the gold secured!
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 am

Grahaml wrote:NZ not winning the race and look like they'll finish behind Australia. Barring a capsize or something dramatic the medal race is a procession for Australia with the gold secured!

I was under the impression the Gold was ours.
Dont think it matters if we come last in the final
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:39 am

Grahaml wrote:Part of the whole olympic experience is cheering on someone you've never heard of in a sport you've never cared for before isn't it?

By my calculations the 49er guys are more or less over the line with 2 races left. If NZ win the last two races, the aussies would need to finish 8th of 10 in the medal race for gold even if they bomb out badly in the next race. Massive chance of a sure gold before the medal race (if my possibly very dodgy working out is correct).

Yeah, I had never heard of these guys before. A guy at work is a keen sailer and knows a fair bit about the sport and he claimed that Slingsby was a monty for the Gold. Reckons he was virtually unbeatable
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Grahaml wrote:NZ not winning the race and look like they'll finish behind Australia. Barring a capsize or something dramatic the medal race is a procession for Australia with the gold secured!

It is. I meant a capsize during the final stages of that race.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:

I watched with great anticipation and enthusiasm (for a sport I've never watched more than 30 seconds of before).

We had to finish better than 7th but if the Cypriot finished worse than 4th then we'd automatically win gold no matter what else happened (ie, no one else could've snatched the gold other than us or the Cypriot).

So Slingsby's intentions were to cut him off and disable him from coming 4th or better, which he did. I think Slingsby came either 8th or 9th but the Cypriot came last, meaning we won gold.

Interesting scoring system whereby if you come first you get 1pt, second 2pts etc. Effectively like golf, the lowest score wins! Not many sports that have a scoring system like that.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby scoob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:22 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I watched with great anticipation and enthusiasm (for a sport I've never watched more than 30 seconds of before).

We had to finish better than 7th but if the Cypriot finished worse than 4th then we'd automatically win gold no matter what else happened (ie, no one else could've snatched the gold other than us or the Cypriot).

So Slingsby's intentions were to cut him off and disable him from coming 4th or better, which he did. I think Slingsby came either 8th or 9th but the Cypriot came last, meaning we won gold.

Interesting scoring system whereby if you come first you get 1pt, second 2pts etc. Effectively like golf, the lowest score wins! Not many sports that have a scoring system like that.

The Redbacks reckon the shield comp works the same way!

A great win by Slingsby - will make him feel better about Beijing no end
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:08 pm

scoob wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

The Redbacks reckon the shield comp works the same way!

A great win by Slingsby - will make him feel better about Beijing no end

Jim and I are actually talking about a different event.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby scoob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I was talking about what Gadj was talking about
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby overloaded » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Sailing.....pfft.

I guess we will take it :roll:
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Olympics