FINALS 2010 - ALL grades

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: FINALS 2010 - ALL grades

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 am

watcher wrote:Have just been catching up on the last few pages here. Interesting topic.

Just noting Spot On's query I have a question for DTH.

You seem to know a lot about the stats of the MV players (including naming them on this forum which for under 18's players in these circumstances I personally think is a bit ordinary)?

My question is you didn't by some chance do some investigative work after Brighton lost to MV did you? Or are you just by nature a wealth of information?

Yes I am a wealth of information but as Off the Wall has pointed out its all publicly accessible information. Clubs don't make a habit of checking opposition team sheets after each final to confirm that everyone is properly qualified. I think we all assume the SFL would do this. Yes it would be time consuming but after whats happened what choice do they now have. Plus we all put our trust in fellow clubs that they understand and abide by the rules. MV thought they were OK with this player but they made an error in interpretation. It was only queried in the 24 hours after the GF so I can only assume this was done by someone associated with Cove. All very messy and I think we all wish it was just a bad dream because its taken the gloss off a great finals series across all grades.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 am

Down the Hill wrote:
watcher wrote:Have just been catching up on the last few pages here. Interesting topic.

You seem to know a lot about the stats of the MV players (including naming them on this forum which for under 18's players in these circumstances I personally think is a bit ordinary)?

My question is you didn't by some chance do some investigative work after Brighton lost to MV did you? Or are you just by nature a wealth of information?

Yes I am a wealth of information but as Off the Wall has pointed out its all publicly accessible information. Clubs don't make a habit of checking opposition team sheets after each final to confirm that everyone is properly qualified. I think we all assume the SFL would do this. Yes it would be time consuming but after whats happened what choice do they now have. Plus we all put our trust in fellow clubs that they understand and abide by the rules. MV thought they were OK with this player but they made an error in interpretation. It was only queried in the 24 hours after the GF so I can only assume this was done by someone associated with Cove. All very messy and I think we all wish it was just a bad dream because its taken the gloss off a great finals series across all grades.

or someone from Brighton hoping it might end up with a "late GF Playoff" with the Cobras. Probably not, and I'm not for a moment suggesting it was you DTH, but you'd need to be sure you know if your own camp was clean before singling out Cove as the likely source ---- could be a number of other possibilities, maybe someone who just hates Morphett Vale !
You are sure to find the Cobras' embarrassment is as huge as the Emus' devastation --- it serves no purpose pointing the finger at them.
Would really like to know how they came about deciding on Cove as the official winner. As I suggested in previous post, my bet is, with Reynella and Edwardstown also beaten by the Emus, it was too messy, so they opted for the cricket method of awarding Flag to the highest side on the ladder ---- but would love to find out if that was true or not. Otherwise the Bombers and others have plenty of reason for complaint.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby frenzy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Bag The Points wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

or someone from Brighton hoping it might end up with a "late GF Playoff" with the Cobras. Probably not, and I'm not for a moment suggesting it was you DTH, but you'd need to be sure you know if your own camp was clean before singling out Cove as the likely source ---- could be a number of other possibilities, maybe someone who just hates Morphett Vale !
You are sure to find the Cobras' embarrassment is as huge as the Emus' devastation --- it serves no purpose pointing the finger at them.
Would really like to know how they came about deciding on Cove as the official winner. As I suggested in previous post, my bet is, with Reynella and Edwardstown also beaten by the Emus, it was too messy, so they opted for the cricket method of awarding Flag to the highest side on the ladder ---- but would love to find out if that was true or not. Otherwise the Bombers and others have plenty of reason for complaint.

In regards to the morphett vale side who were disqualified, my VERY RELIABLE source, who is from Cove football club has informed me that it was a leak from "inside". Upon further investigating with sources from SFL insiders it appears that the leak infact DID come from a morphett vale person who knows the Coach and the U18 team very very well. What a SAD SAD day for the Morphett Vale Football Club if this is true.
frenzy
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: United

Postby vics01 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

DTH

DTH we all know what assumptions tend to do.

All this has done is to make it a very dissapointing end to the year for all, and put Cove in a very awkward position. I believe the SFL have put out an explanation to all clubs? Maybe someone would like to post it.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes please ---- I'd love to see a copy of that letter
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Bag The Points wrote:Yes please ---- I'd love to see a copy of that letter

There's nothing within the letter that hasn't already been discussed on here, so don't think it is a problem posting the information from the letter:

SOUTHERN FOOTBALL LEAGUE INC.

Memo to S.F.L Member Clubs

The Southern Football League lnc. Investigations Committee convened on Thursday 23rd September 2010,and heard evidence of a player playing unqualified in the SFL Under 18 Grand Final on Saturday l8th September 2010 at Hickinbotham Oval.

The SFL Investigations Committee findings were that Morphett Vale FC. had erred in an error of judgment but there seemed to be no malicious intent to gain an advantage.
However, it was found that the Morphett Vale F.C. Under I8 team played an unqualified player in the Grand Final, and as such has been disqualified from the S.F.L. Under l8 Grand Final. The S.F.L. Investigations Committee has requested Morphett Vale F.C. to return all Premiership items to the League.

Accordingly, the Under l8 Grand Final has been awarded to the Cove F.C. as 2010 Premiers.

XXXXX XXXXX
Secretary/Manager
On behalf of the
Investigations Committee
Southem Football League
27/09/2010
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 pm

the SFL requests MV to return all premiership items to the SFL - does this include the Tshirts if they had them printed?
Hope they used the correct SFL sponsor
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Good handball that! We have admitted our error how about the league do the same?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dazza44 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:36 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Good handball that! We have admitted our error how about the league do the same?

Absolutely agree ZC ! As I have said before. I am amazed that the error wasn't picked up before the GF. If the SFL are for some reason unable to to check teams for qualification before finals matches are played (as most sports and many other leagues do) then surely they can check them at some stage during the finals series. This should have been picked up before, during or after the first final - would have avoided almost all the unpleasantness and heartache.

It seems to me that a bit of effort and awareness before the event would also have saved the SFL a lot of work and loss of credibility.

I just hope that the SFL will learn from it ... tho history might suggest that they won't !!!!
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Injured Phantom » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:57 am

Talking to a MV U18 last night "They can take our flag & medals but they cant take our memories"
Injured Phantom
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Bag The Points » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:56 am

So according to that letter the SFL is saying it was only done in the Grand Final, so Cove gets the Premiership.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Titanic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Good handball that! We have admitted our error how about the league do the same?

What i find hard to fathom out of all this is that Morphies asked the question of the league in the week leading into the 1st final if the young lad in question was qualified.That person said he was so the Emus played this lad under the guidence of the league and when the shit hit the fan and the lad was found not to be qualified they blamed Morphies...STAGGERING...hard on Morphies and even more hard on Coves U18s as they probably feel as bad as the Emu boys...Time for some of these league officers to stand up and be honest about what occured,dont hang shit on Morphies for your mistakes
Titanic
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Gaza

Postby MrTeach » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:45 pm

How can people sit there and defend Morphies. The truth is this isnt the only shifty they tried to pull. I know from a very reliable source (6 morphies under 18s players in fact) that they were trying to pull a shifty by naming Liam Corrie (Green) on the bench for a few of their games to try and qualify him. This is disgusting "IF IT IS TRUE".

Because i know a few of the players i do feel sorry for the playing group but i do not feel sorry for the coaching staff or the footy club because they have let these kids in their side down as far as im concerned.

Oh and by the way, the lad that was not qualified played an absolute blinder of a game and i quote "He was best on ground by a mile" which came from the mouth of these morphies boys.
MrTeach
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Dazza44 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:24 am

MrTeach wrote:How can people sit there and defend Morphies. The truth is this isnt the only shifty they tried to pull. I know from a very reliable source (6 morphies under 18s players in fact) that they were trying to pull a shifty by naming Liam Corrie (Green) on the bench for a few of their games to try and qualify him. This is disgusting "IF IT IS TRUE".

Because i know a few of the players i do feel sorry for the playing group but i do not feel sorry for the coaching staff or the footy club because they have let these kids in their side down as far as im concerned.

Oh and by the way, the lad that was not qualified played an absolute blinder of a game and i quote "He was best on ground by a mile" which came from the mouth of these morphies boys.

Strong words Mr Teach ... I admit I haven't had a go at the Emus about this coz they have already admitted they stuffed up by playing this guy. As a longtime club administrator, I still can't understand how they could have made such an error - I think the current rules for the junior comp are very clear re the 6 games, and even if your club don't regard U18's as 'juniors' (as my club doesn't) you still need to apply those rules. It is a bit sad if Morphies did in fact get advice from a league official that it was OK for this kid to play.
I just hope the SFL learn from this and actually start checking things and giving the right advice.
Dazza44
Rookie

Postby Dazza44 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:26 am

MrTeach wrote:How can people sit there and defend Morphies. The truth is this isnt the only shifty they tried to pull. I know from a very reliable source (6 morphies under 18s players in fact) that they were trying to pull a shifty by naming Liam Corrie (Green) on the bench for a few of their games to try and qualify him. This is disgusting "IF IT IS TRUE".

Strong words Mr Teach ... I admit I haven't had a go at the Emus about this coz they have already admitted they stuffed up by playing this guy. As a longtime club administrator, I still can't understand how they could have made such an error - I think the current rules for the junior comp are very clear re the 6 games, and even if your club don't regard U18's as 'juniors' (as my club doesn't) you still need to apply those rules. It is a bit sad if Morphies did in fact get advice from a league official that it was OK for this kid to play.
I just hope the SFL learn from this and actually start checking things and giving the right advice.
Dazza44
Rookie

Postby watcher » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 pm

To Mr Teach

Now you are stretching the truth.

I saw the gf and your last statement about the disqualified player is just not right.

Was he announced BOG by the SFL or South or can you tell me where he was in morphies best players?

You aren't trying to stir a pot by some chance are you?
watcher
Mini-League

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL