Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby marbles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:13 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:I figure you have NFI. I have played in an A grade side that was beaten one year by Hackham and Kangarilla. That is without mentioning a few 20 goal beatings that we were handed by a few of the top teams at the time.

Those that copped those results know how sweet it was when we put it altogether and, as a CLUB (B grade won 3 in a row in that period too), achieved something we will remember forever. You seem to forget that this years Premiers went within a game of missing the 8 last year and that a team who finished outside the 8
Watching players like Liam Green start out in minis and come through the grades to be the player he is today is something you and your club will never understand. I would love an even competition but disappearing to an easier league for "success" is a cowards way out.

what a very lovely constructive contribution to the discussion, very good young man we didnt think you had it in you
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby cracka » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 am

marbles wrote:
Backliner wrote:SAAFL would be good for Aldinga's current situation, won't happen. Sharks are building a strong club off field and hopefully things will improve on field as a result and maybe a little luck. A new soccer club starting at the club soon so will be Aussie rules, Soccer and Cricket from Shark park with Netball and Hockey next door. Growing area should be able to cater for all.

Foundations have been laid and hopefully continue to build for the Sharks.

good news for the scheme of things

excuse my unrestricted use words here, am not forcing any issues only discussing what most are prob too scared to discuss...

hypothetical....

aldinga joins saafl in 2014 >> nek minnutt >> holy sh&t we're a chance for a premiership for the first time since 1993!!!!!!

its the year of the sharks!!! go the sharks!! and all those who love aldinga fc will be buzzing, the joint will be alive again.

BUT no stuff it - lets stay crap and aim for the 2025 sfl premiership instead, and the next 15 years all the efforts of our volunteers can go unrewarded, the players can have minimal hope, and the sharks in 2014 will aim to win 5 matches instead - yay!!!

NOTE: this is not projected at Aldinga themselves, it relates to all the little battlers in the sfl, & i also understand the logistics of such a move

Even if Aldinga joined SAAFL there is no guarantee they would win the flag. Houghton have been in div 7 for so long & have only won 1 flag since about 1988 so then got put up to div 6, got smashed & now back in div 7. So all that travel & loss of juniors as part of the club isn't really going to be worth it for a CHANCE at a div 7 flag not to mention probable loss of some players, officials & more importantly volunteers.
I don't think metro clubs understand or appreciate the value of juniors playing at the same venue & on the same day, then all teams (in Onkas case from modis to A grade) go back to the club for meals & presentations.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 571 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Backliner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:17 am

Aldinga isn't looking at moving anywhere. Our Vice Pres has 2 kids in the Mini's as does the Secretary, long term plans in place and they are happy with the league setup, no talk or merging, folding or moving in any way, shape or form, we pay our bills with the league so no reason for any change anywhere.

2014 will be business as usual in the SFL and hopefully more competitive teams.

15 clubs in the comp so let's talk about other teams recruits/happenings :)
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby cracka » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am

Backliner wrote:Aldinga isn't looking at moving anywhere. Our Vice Pres has 2 kids in the Mini's as does the Secretary, long term plans in place and they are happy with the league setup, no talk or merging, folding or moving in any way, shape or form, we pay our bills with the league so no reason for any change anywhere.

It's more marbles continually harping on about it & replying to him than having a go at Aldinga. We are in the same boat, Onkas haven't won a flag since 94, had some good & bad years but in no way looking to move.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 571 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:30 am

How much are the SFL affiliation fees - its been mentioned repeatedly how cheap they are?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Backliner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:39 am

4 payments of $1735 = $6940. This includes the Boot which is sold at home games, previous years pais separately for the boot ($1250 from memory)
Backliner
Under 18s

Postby marbles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:04 pm

cracka wrote:
Backliner wrote:Aldinga isn't looking at moving anywhere. Our Vice Pres has 2 kids in the Mini's as does the Secretary, long term plans in place and they are happy with the league setup, no talk or merging, folding or moving in any way, shape or form, we pay our bills with the league so no reason for any change anywhere.

It's more marbles continually harping on about it & replying to him than having a go at Aldinga. We are in the same boat, Onkas haven't won a flag since 94, had some good & bad years but in no way looking to move.

the Aldinga discussion only came up in the comparison of distances from the city.....

Adelaide to Aldinga = 43.8kms

Adelaide to Angle Vale (Gawler oval) = 54kms

theres no suggestion to push Aldinga to Div 7, only a concept discussion for little battlers of sfl highlighting there are alternatives.

Backliner wrote:4 payments of $1735 = $6940. This includes the Boot which is sold at home games, previous years pais separately for the boot ($1250 from memory)

SAAFL fee?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Backliner wrote:4 payments of $1735 = $6940. This includes the Boot which is sold at home games, previous years pais separately for the boot ($1250 from memory)

Does this include insurances and umpires? or do clubs pay for these as well on top..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1747 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby Backliner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Includes JLT Bronze insurance - umpires extra each week.
Affiliation varies per club as charged per team and includes mini's, juniors and seniors (we didn't have U18's or C grade 2013)
All this is available at AGM's so not secret squirrel stuff - ours is Oct 27 if anyone is keen
Backliner
Under 18s

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I think the SAAFL may be a bit cheaper based on that (although doesn’t include any junior sides)

But the SAAFL is as follows

Clubs with U/18’s don’t get charged except the $60 or so for the insurance
Then for each senior side with bronze insurance, and media levies its about $1,800

So to have 3 senior sides and U/18’s costs $5,460
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1747 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby Numbers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I think the SAAFL may be a bit cheaper based on that (although doesn’t include any junior sides)

Then for each senior side with bronze insurance, and media levies its about $1,800

Why are juniors not included? Are they free from afilliation fees or just not part of your club? Do the juniors even wear the same jumper, emblem & colours?
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby Numbers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm

marbles wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
marbles wrote:So what year are Christies Beach aiming to win the flag??

ASAP

At least with a decent season, you can be in with a chance.

Div 6 teams are 5 years away even being allowed to compete for the premiership, and that would require qualifying for 5 minor grand finals in a row

huh?? sure over 60 clubs and yeah only one gets to win the Div 1 flag

but is whats most important at a club (for me) is the celebration of the community within

Ingle Farm have been Div 6 whipping boys for past few years, and probably has been very dark times for that club

Now look at their 2013 season, and those club members, girlfriends, families, have just had the times of their life with an victorious grand final celebration night - the vibe right now at Ingle Farm is sky high and 2013 will be treasured for decades to come

I doubt anyone there is caring that it wasnt the Div 1 flag :shock: their club achieved the ultimate success - an A-Grade premiership
and to me it seems that SFL clubs care more about gate revenue, than they do bringing home a trophy.

The ultimate? Div 7, We won the GF, yes we are the 61st best A Grade side this year, plus some higher division B Grade sides are better too!

Well done, lets all celebrate!
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Numbers wrote:
marbles wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
marbles wrote:So what year are Christies Beach aiming to win the flag??

ASAP

At least with a decent season, you can be in with a chance.

Div 6 teams are 5 years away even being allowed to compete for the premiership, and that would require qualifying for 5 minor grand finals in a row

huh?? sure over 60 clubs and yeah only one gets to win the Div 1 flag

but is whats most important at a club (for me) is the celebration of the community within

Ingle Farm have been Div 6 whipping boys for past few years, and probably has been very dark times for that club

Now look at their 2013 season, and those club members, girlfriends, families, have just had the times of their life with an victorious grand final celebration night - the vibe right now at Ingle Farm is sky high and 2013 will be treasured for decades to come

I doubt anyone there is caring that it wasnt the Div 1 flag :shock: their club achieved the ultimate success - an A-Grade premiership
and to me it seems that SFL clubs care more about gate revenue, than they do bringing home a trophy.

The ultimate? Div 7, We won the GF, yes we are the 61st best A Grade side this year, plus some higher division B Grade sides are better too!

Well done, lets all celebrate!

Surely the prize at that level would be promotion with the GF a bit of a party game, some seasons Div 7 is a C-Grade competition
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Numbers wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I think the SAAFL may be a bit cheaper based on that (although doesn’t include any junior sides)

Why are juniors not included? Are they free from afilliation fees or just not part of your club? Do the juniors even wear the same jumper, emblem & colours?

They play in a different competition
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Backliner wrote:Includes JLT Bronze insurance - umpires extra each week.
Affiliation varies per club as charged per team and includes mini's, juniors and seniors (we didn't have U18's or C grade 2013)
All this is available at AGM's so not secret squirrel stuff - ours is Oct 27 if anyone is keen

I was of an understanding that all clubs were charged for U/18, U/16 & U/14 whether you had them or not, with additional affiliation fees for a C-Grade team and any additional U/16 or U/14 teams

ie Christies Beach would be chaged for the standard + a fee for C-Grade
Brighton would get charged for the standard + C-Grade + an extra U/16 + 2x extra U/14
Aldinga would get charged the standard even though they didn't field an U/18 because there is an expectation that they would.

Or has this changed?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:34 pm

marbles wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:I figure you have NFI. I have played in an A grade side that was beaten one year by Hackham and Kangarilla. That is without mentioning a few 20 goal beatings that we were handed by a few of the top teams at the time.

Those that copped those results know how sweet it was when we put it altogether and, as a CLUB (B grade won 3 in a row in that period too), achieved something we will remember forever. You seem to forget that this years Premiers went within a game of missing the 8 last year and that a team who finished outside the 8
Watching players like Liam Green start out in minis and come through the grades to be the player he is today is something you and your club will never understand. I would love an even competition but disappearing to an easier league for "success" is a cowards way out.

what a very lovely constructive contribution to the discussion, very good young man we didnt think you had it in you

You haven't provided anything tangible that would make clubs, with a solid junior system, move to SAAFL Div 7 so I think it's a bit rich to deride my contribution to the subject.

Fact is you obviously don't know enough about the SFL setup to think CLUBS, I emphasise again CLUBS, would be better off in Div 7. To push juniors outside the club atmosphere would destroy the fabric of the club.

I see Mitchell Park won the Div 7 flag in 2012, now assuming 2 teams are relegated each year from Div 6 they will be right back in Div 7 again in 2014. Considering they have been playing SAAFL since 2001 I would have expected them to have at least pushed up to Div 5 in that time if they are truly in a position to improve.

Once again I ask would you be happy yo-yoing between divisions all because you might win a flag every 2 years?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby marbles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:04 pm

i not the problem here champ, the problem you and your league have is an inequality of competition

you said it yourself...

so far ive been like Jesus coming along and trying to discuss and bring a healing to your comp.

why arent you guys standing up and having a say about fixing this, instead one party is content to be crap the other is content to smash em every week

someones gotta have the gutz to point out the white elephant in the room, and im proud to be standing up for the little battlers who deserve to win something for their ongoing efforts just once in 25 years - ie: look closer at the darkness within the deprived volunteers
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:46 pm

marbles wrote:i not the problem here champ, the problem you and your league have is an inequality of competition

you said it yourself...

so far ive been like Jesus coming along and trying to discuss and bring a healing to your comp.

why arent you guys standing up and having a say about fixing this, instead one party is content to be crap the other is content to smash em every week

someones gotta have the gutz to point out the white elephant in the room, and im proud to be standing up for the little battlers who deserve to win something for their ongoing efforts just once in 25 years - ie: look closer at the darkness within the deprived volunteers

Ah selective quoting...

Did you read the statement after that about taking the easy option and leaving is the cowards way? I agree something needs to be done but your suggestions are the wrong way to go about things.

You might not be the problem but you certainly aren't providing any answers.

Until the SFL REPRESENTATIVES realise they are representing the clubs and not their own interests then the status quo will remain with some teams being able to drop off and rebuild but the vast majority of bottom teams remaining there.

You still haven't answered my question by the way. Maybe you should treat this as your Good Friday, have a rest till Sunday then **** off for good.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby marbles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 pm

the nights I walked the town with each of my premiership medals around my neck have probably been the best nights of my life, were'nt yours?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 pm

marbles wrote:the nights I walked the town with each of my premiership medals around my neck have probably been the best nights of my life, were'nt yours?

No, mine was standing in the middle of the moreland ave oval with all my premiership players singing the club song, I'll never forget it. NEVER EVER FORGET IT. Premierships build culture, like it or not. :lol: Couldn't imagine knowing 8-16 was the best my club could ever be. :(
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL