Division 1 & Division 2 Sould we have 2 divisions in the SFL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Division 1 & Division 2 Sould we have 2 divisions in the SFL

Postby reppoh_eht » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 pm

BringBackDBush wrote:Yer the club that won the flag this year came from Div 2
And Happy Valley not too may years ago. They are both success stories from Div 2. In previous posts I've sang their praises even Hackhams.
But those days are over the bottom 6 of Div 1 need to go back to a Div 2 comp to help them grow because they ARE losers constant losers and this is the helping hand they need.
Div 1 8, Div 2 6 and a final 4 for both and if we're stuck with the townies make it an 8 7 comp.

Do you actaully think that going to two divs will help these teams in the long run? I certainly don't... Will only help them be good against the other bad sides who will be playing div 2, will just stretch the gap between the good and the bad.
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby SSS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:36 pm

The big dream of our SFL President is to get more teams on board from down the hill. Plympton, Mitchell Pk etc.

If they can get enough teams the dream is to have northern and southern conferences.

It will be difficult to get these teams to come on board with juniors as they have a very good Sunday comp down there.

It is still a big deal for many people living down on the plains to come up the hill to play against us.

I fear that the SFL is going to get worse before it gets better. If it gets better.

Once you let Townys in how can you throw them out for not having juniors?

What do you guys think of this concept?
SSS

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby BringBackDBush » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:43 pm

reppoh_eht wrote:
BringBackDBush wrote:Yer the club that won the flag this year came from Div 2
And Happy Valley not too may years ago. They are both success stories from Div 2. In previous posts I've sang their praises even Hackhams.
But those days are over the bottom 6 of Div 1 need to go back to a Div 2 comp to help them grow because they ARE losers constant losers and this is the helping hand they need.
Div 1 8, Div 2 6 and a final 4 for both and if we're stuck with the townies make it an 8 7 comp.

Do you actaully think that going to two divs will help these teams in the long run? I certainly don't... Will only help them be good against the other bad sides who will be playing div 2, will just stretch the gap between the good and the bad.

Yes, Promotion Relegation. Divisions, Natural Selection, Evolution, CHARLES DARWIN!
This is another reason why I criticise our League knob heads.
They are participating in a defactor Divisional process now by letting the lower teams play themselves more often then the higher ones. They should bite the bullet admit the failing and create 2 divs.
Last edited by BringBackDBush on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PG 4 PM
BringBackDBush

Postby BringBackDBush » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 pm

SSS wrote:The big dream of our SFL President is to get more teams on board from down the hill. Plympton, Mitchell Pk etc.

If they can get enough teams the dream is to have northern and southern conferences.

It will be difficult to get these teams to come on board with juniors as they have a very good Sunday comp down there.

It is still a big deal for many people living down on the plains to come up the hill to play against us.

I fear that the SFL is going to get worse before it gets better. If it gets better.

Stuff more teams down the hill, we have enough up here already.
The future is the GROWING SOUTH and 2 divs, that's it.
That should be the BIG DREAM for the SFL.
PG 4 PM
BringBackDBush

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:01 am

BringBackDBush wrote:
SSS wrote:The big dream of our SFL President is to get more teams on board from down the hill. Plympton, Mitchell Pk etc.

the only way that the league will be able to go dorward is to get another 3 or 5 teams involved and make div 1 10 teams and div 2 8/10 teams. have a final 5 in each and bottom 2 relegated. No north or south just the best 10 in top division and the next best in second division. Some teams will have to suck up their pride for a few years. Hey thats the nature of the beast and if they are to stubbon to relent then they need to realise that they are part of the reason that the club got in to that position they find themselves in now. SFL please be proactive about making this happen
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:57 pm

BringBackDBush wrote:

Agree, the future is down south. I actually think the competition could and should support the creation of a few new teams
Woodcroft woodpeckers
- Both Reynelle and M/Vale have 3 quality senior sides and two teams in each junior grade. Hackham even has a full suite of juniors

Sheidow park
- Hallett Cove area is ever expanding and both Cove, Reynella, and Happy Valley have two junior grades each

Seaford (Conditional in 5 years
- It's not hard to see Aldinga rise to the top 4 in the league in 5 - 7 years with the population boom with GOOD management.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Why would Mitchell Park head south in the current SFL climate? To be another Hackham?

Live you've said, look south, not north.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Pag wrote:Why would Mitchell Park head south in the current SFL climate? To be another Hackham?

Live you've said, look south, not north.

I could only see the DTH amatuer sides joining SFL on the following basis
Div 4-5 / top div 6 => SFL Div 2
Div 2-4 => SFL Div 1
Div 6-7 => shouldn't consider it
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Magoo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:59 pm

There are already 2 divisions
The SFL
and the Great SFL

Which by name is a bit better...it is GREAT

there used to be three...Glenelg SFL

Let's bring that back as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr Magoo
Under 16s

Postby BringBackDBush » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
BringBackDBush wrote:

Agree, the future is down south. I actually think the competition could and should support the creation of a few new teams
Woodcroft woodpeckers
- Both Reynelle and M/Vale have 3 quality senior sides and two teams in each junior grade. Hackham even has a full suite of juniors

Sheidow park
- Hallett Cove area is ever expanding and both Cove, Reynella, and Happy Valley have two junior grades each

Seaford (Conditional in 5 years
- It's not hard to see Aldinga rise to the top 4 in the league in 5 - 7 years with the population boom with GOOD management.

Now ya talken.
We got some common ground Esteban.
The real south above the hill is were it's at.
And make sure these clubs can park cars around the fence too.
PG 4 PM
BringBackDBush

Postby Backliner » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Personally think people overlook the modern game. Players are willing to travel 45 mins to an hour for training, Aldinga had about 8 this year. Not too sure geography is the big issue. People are travelling further for work and sport these days so you are losing the Town mentality. Gone are the days of 200+ gamers IMO, few and far between.
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:21 am

Backliner wrote:Personally think people overlook the modern game. Players are willing to travel 45 mins to an hour for training, Aldinga had about 8 this year. Not too sure geography is the big issue. People are travelling further for work and sport these days so you are losing the Town mentality. Gone are the days of 200+ gamers IMO, few and far between.

Spot on - and it's a shame.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby BringBackDBush » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
Backliner wrote:Personally think people overlook the modern game. Players are willing to travel 45 mins to an hour for training, Aldinga had about 8 this year. Not too sure geography is the big issue. People are travelling further for work and sport these days so you are losing the Town mentality. Gone are the days of 200+ gamers IMO, few and far between.

True local footy is just that filled with local kids who become local senior players, A’s B’s and C’s. Local footy isn’t a franchise like AFL, made up of a central draft and no real player club or state loyally. SANFL isn’t much better either.
Any local metro footy team that thinks they can be a regular top team with heavy recruiting is just gonna fade in and out as the money comes in and dries up.
Do I hear the Shoes mentioned here anybody.
Also they will struggle to pick up and keep a loyal following of supporters.
Do I hear the Amateurs mentioned here anybody.
Don’t get me wrong it can be a basis to get a club going in the right direction but in the end local metro senior teams will only be consistently near the top if they are mainly filled with their past juniors.
Do I hear Aldinga mentioned here anybody
And don’t get me started on petrol prices either.
PG 4 PM
BringBackDBush

Postby shoe boy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:28 am

BringBackDBush wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:

True local footy is just that filled with local kids who become local senior players, A’s B’s and C’s. Local footy isn’t a franchise like AFL, made up of a central draft and no real player club or state loyally. SANFL isn’t much better either.
Any local metro footy team that thinks they can be a regular top team with heavy recruiting is just gonna fade in and out as the money comes in and dries up.
Don’t get me wrong it can be a basis to get a club going in the right direction but in the end local metro senior teams will only be consistently near the top if they are mainly filled with their past juniors.

BBDB,Can you please explain your comments re the Shoes??
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby BringBackDBush » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm

shoe boy wrote:
BringBackDBush wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:

BBDB,Can you please explain your comments re the Shoes??

Go through your A Grade finals team sheet in the early 2000s and tell me how many players were poached/recruited from other clubs and how many were your former juniors.
You guys aren’t renown for having a successful A Grade through natural junior to senior progression.
PG 4 PM
BringBackDBush

Postby shoe boy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:57 pm

[]

Spot on - and it's a shame.[/quote]

And don’t get me started on petrol prices either.[/quote]
BBDB,Can you please explain your comments re the Shoes??[/quote]

Go through your A Grade finals team sheet in the early 2000s and tell me how many players were poached/recruited from other clubs and how many were your former juniors.
You guys aren’t renown for having a successful A Grade through natural junior to senior progression.[/quote]
You are spot on BBDB.2000 LOST GF 2001 WON GF 2002 LOST GF 2003 LOST GF and as you put it we required a lot of players from many clubs,and for your info 2001 we only had 2 players who played in our juniors.
The footy club took on a major culture change with a strong focus on juniors and made plans for the future that is starting to take shape.2007 was our first under 18 side and 2008 was the year to blood a few lads into the A grade (16) with 12 to become senior players in 2009.
As I have posted previously the club acknowledged that a bit of pain was required to become a consistant finals playing side in ALL grades and our juniors are certainly doing that and will do for years to come with 2 extra minis 2 sixteens in 09 and a total of 280 registered kids. This current admin is the best I have worked with and have a focused vision on the footy club being built around our own with acceptance that recruites are part of the game and we will leave no stone unturned to find the right players to work with a very exciting group of young and excisting players.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:41 pm

shoe boy wrote:[]

And don’t get me started on petrol prices either.[/quote]
BBDB,Can you please explain your comments re the Shoes??[/quote]

You guys aren’t renown for having a successful A Grade through natural junior to senior progression.[/quote]
You are spot on BBDB.2000 LOST GF 2001 WON GF 2002 LOST GF 2003 LOST GF and as you put it we required a lot of players from many clubs,and for your info 2001 we only had 2 players who played in our juniors.
The footy club took on a major culture change with a strong focus on juniors and made plans for the future that is starting to take shape.2007 was our first under 18 side and 2008 was the year to blood a few lads into the A grade (16) with 12 to become senior players in 2009.
As I have posted previously the club acknowledged that a bit of pain was required to become a consistant finals playing side in ALL grades and our juniors are certainly doing that and will do for years to come with 2 extra minis 2 sixteens in 09 and a total of 280 registered kids. This current admin is the best I have worked with and have a focused vision on the footy club being built around our own with acceptance that recruites are part of the game and we will leave no stone unturned to find the right players to work with a very exciting group of young and excisting players.[/quote]

Honest and admirable. Good luck.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Postby BringBackDBush » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 pm

BringBackDBush wrote:

Mcspaz wrote: Spot on - and it's a shame.

Bush wrote: True local footy is just that filled with local kids who become local senior players, A’s B’s and C’s. Local footy isn’t a franchise like AFL, made up of a central draft and no real player club or state loyally. SANFL isn’t much better either.

Shoe Boy wrote: BBDB,Can you please explain your comments re the Shoes??

Bush wrote: Go through your A Grade finals team sheet in the early 2000s and tell me how many players were poached/recruited from other clubs and how many were your former juniors.
You guys aren’t renown for having a successful A Grade through natural junior to senior progression.

Shoe Boy wrote: You are spot on BBDB.2000 LOST GF 2001 WON GF 2002 LOST GF 2003 LOST GF and as you put it we required a lot of players from many clubs,and for your info 2001 we only had 2 players who played in our juniors.
As I have posted previously the club acknowledged that a bit of pain was required to become a consistant finals playing side in ALL grades and our juniors are certainly doing that and will do for years to come with 2 extra minis 2 sixteens in 09 and a total of 280 registered kids. This current admin is the best I have worked with and have a focused vision on the footy club being built around our own with acceptance that recruites are part of the game and we will leave no stone unturned to find the right players to work with a very exciting group of young and excisting players.

Esteban wrote: Honest and admirable. Good luck.

Bush wrote: Hopefully that’s the formula for all SFL clubs especially the growing south ones.
We’re trying to stick to that formula as well here at Flagies

PS you guys got to be careful with your quoting when you do it go to the bottom leave a gap and put in your words of wisdom. I’ve tried to fix this conversation with some creative editing sorry if it is not perfect.
PG 4 PM
BringBackDBush

Postby Roaring Lion! » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Unfortunatly the SFL idea of the merging Div 1 & 2 years ago seemed like a good idea at the time so they could replicate the AFL & have a 15-16 team competition a final 8 but reality was this is when things went pear shaped for them as they had clubs merge or leave the league all together & attracting new clubs is now very hard when there is such an uneven-ness down there (40+ goal differences) as your Top 3-4 clubs are very good & will be always around the mark, your next 4-5 clubs are competitive as they flog the bottom few but cant match it with the premier sides & the bottom 3-4 clubs will unfortunatly always be that way without a proper funding to help put the structures in place to develop that will get them out of the old Div 2 mold to make the league go forward!

The idea of merging SFL & GSFL to make a Super Southern League may sound good but realistic this wont happen as the GSFL already run a successful 10 team competition so why would they change?

The other idea of going back to Div 1 & Div 2 competitions with promotion/relagation to reward performance is a great idea but you will need to attract more/ex teams back for this to work as Div 1 needs 10 teams to be healthy & Div 2 needs at least 8-10 teams for the SFL to make this to happen which would mean attracting 4-6 teams to your league which will be a challenge on its own as would a Kangarilla, Blackwood, Mitchell Park, McLaren Vale, Meadows or Edwardstown really want to leave successful leagues where they are all currently competitve??

This will ruffle a few feathers but i am just throwing it out there as another option maybe the SFL to be a force again needs to re-structure & look at reducing the number of teams (like aussie soccer when it re-formed the A-league) with giving the un-competitive teams of year in year out an option of a merger or explore another league???

A few examples could be:

Mitchell Park maybe look to move into the SAAFL or into merge with a Brighton/Marion?
Aldinga a merge out is of the option as is a developing area but maybe look to move into the GSFL?
Hackam maybe look into merge with a Noarlunga/Morphett Vale/Christies Beach?
Lonsdale/O'Sullivans Beach maybe look into merge with a Cove/Reynella/Christies Beach?

If the SFL has at least 2-4 of the above options happen it would leave it with a more even & competive 10-12 team competiton with each team playing twice against each other over 18-22 rounds home & away rounds with a Top 5-6 Finals Series to show case the best instead of just having numbers make up the Major Round!
IT'S US AGAINST THEM!!!
Roaring Lion!
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:03 am

Plympton were booted from the SFL after trashing SFL house, so thats not going to happen.
Mitchell Park left the SFL in the late 90's after being a top 4 side in div 2, now play div 7 amateurs and currently their juniors are jokes.
Flinders Uni are in a similar boat
Kenilworth while currently div 5/6 club have a steady junior set up, but being the second oldest SAAFL club they will not head south
EFC will head south, but when is the question
PHOS Camden don't seem to be struggling like EFC have been in recent years.

There are others, but I agree with others if Edwardstown come I beleive the set up will be good enough for 2 divisions, prehaps top 2 and bottom 2 get promoted/relegated..........??
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL