Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby oneuponedown » Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am

Mister Footy wrote:Wasn't able to get to Aldinga game today but not surprised with the score. Got some young kids coming through that need game time but are not A grade standard.

Good on the Sharks - come along way from the Crawford days

Imagine that's the first time the sharks have beaten Vikings in a long, long time.

MF you keep hiding behind the lads being young but most on the weekend are 19+, and 9 -10 are easily over 22 with 4-6 of them well over 22!!
I can see maybe 4-5 that are under 19, I think that is a pretty good mix of youth and Exp.
I think you will find most sides have similar u19 numbers playing this year, including Aldinga....
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Flaggies had a 17yo make his A grade debut this week and an 18yo last week.

The 16's/18's comps in recent years have been pretty strong with talent so all teams should have some good youth hitting the senior teams in the near future, if not already which is great for the comp.

Some great upsets at Aldinga, Reynella and Noarlunga on the weekend, great for the league.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3561 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Only 5 games in I know, but the tightest looking SFL ladder for many years barring the bottom 2. Percentages can also be a good indicator and 9 clubs are better than 40 with only Reynella's looking a bit out of place due to their huge Marion win.

Dutchy - putting aside the short term pain for clubs like Flaggies and Reynella with the move to U15 & U17.5, but will this ultimately prove to be the right decision for the SFL comp as a whole or don't you think it really matters.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Dutchy - putting aside the short term pain for clubs like Flaggies and Reynella with the move to U15 & U17.5, but will this ultimately prove to be the right decision for the SFL comp as a whole or don't you think it really matters.

Not sure there has been pain, but I can't see any improvement, if you look at pure numbers less kids are playing junior footy this year than last (even once you remove Brighton from equation).

u13's was supposed to soften the transition from subbles to Saturday footy, yet Cove (despite having 2 u12 teams in 2016) Marion and Lonsdale (good that they have 15's & 17's though) couldn't field teams.

From here, now the change has been made, you can only support it and hope it is the best decision long term, if we get to the stage of 10 clubs all having 5 teams on a Saturday and a strong Sunday junior comp, it will be worth it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon May 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Not sure there has been pain, but I can't see any improvement, if you look at pure numbers less kids are playing junior footy this year than last (even once you remove Brighton from equation).

u13's was supposed to soften the transition from subbles to Saturday footy, yet Cove (despite having 2 u12 teams in 2016) Marion and Lonsdale (good that they have 15's & 17's though) couldn't field teams.

From here, now the change has been made, you can only support it and hope it is the best decision long term, if we get to the stage of 10 clubs all having 5 teams on a Saturday and a strong Sunday junior comp, it will be worth it.

Excluding the three clubs that exited the Saturday comp this year, all the remaining clubs have exposure in the Senior Colts (U/17.5) and Junior Colts (U/15) except Marion. Obviously Port Noarlunga & Aldinga have combined in the Senior Colts but this is an improvement from last year where Port Noarlunga had no team at all. This has restored the participation levels from 2014 which had dwindled the past two years. In the U/15s all clubs except Marion have fielded a team (90.9%), up from 72.7% last year - this is the highest involvement since 2013. We have stabilised these age groups, and hopefully with the improved controls (mandated grades) this will only improve over the next couple of years.

The U/13s is the problem point, but I believe that is more as a result of the resistance to modify the Minis age groupings to odd years, as a result there is only a single year catchment for U/13s rather than 2 - this needs to be the next fix.

Personally could not give a stuff if there are less kids playing overall, we need to get the competition right so that all clubs are fielding the necessary teams. Absolutely no point in inflating numbers if the majority of those kids are tied up at 4-5 clubs and the comp falls apart in a few years. If the kids want to play, they will play - too much effort is spent on holding on to kids who are not really that interested anyway.

If any players are not playing this year as a result of the change of age groupings, they obviously were not that keen in the first place.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Turbo » Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

At Cove we still have 2 u12 teams this year. The club tried to encourage second year u12's to play Saturday football. Many of these play school footy on a Saturday and not enough of the other players or ultimately the parents bought into Saturday football. What has ended up happening is that the players who were keen on u13 football are now being exposed to some games in the u15's and their development has been considerable.

I agree the league needs to change the sub junior age groupings to u7, u9, u11. U7 will be a sticking point seeing though the AFL doesn't endorse the u7 concept and prefers that these kids play Auskick
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 pm

I've seen plenty of u12 kids across different clubs play 13's this year, they love the extra game and playing for premiership points, some even still play school footy as that is not until 10.30am. Having u11's on a Sunday may assist this but I don't think clubs can blame this for not having 13's.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Turbo » Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:I've seen plenty of u12 kids across different clubs play 13's this year, they love the extra game and playing for premiership points, some even still play school footy as that is not until 10.30am. Having u11's on a Sunday may assist this but I don't think clubs can blame this for not having 13's.

Unfortunately didn't work for us this year. I'd like to see u13's in Sunday's only then have only the 4 games on Saturday. Just my opinion.
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Turbo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I've seen plenty of u12 kids across different clubs play 13's this year, they love the extra game and playing for premiership points, some even still play school footy as that is not until 10.30am. Having u11's on a Sunday may assist this but I don't think clubs can blame this for not having 13's.

Unfortunately didn't work for us this year. I'd like to see u13's in Sunday's only then have only the 4 games on Saturday. Just my opinion.

I think thats what the SFL originally proposed but clubs voted against it
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Divers » Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 pm

How about the last quarter by the mighty mob at fly park on Saturday!

Still buzzing, did hear that Reynella only trained once a week during preseason? Is that correct?
Divers

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby godra » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Divers wrote:How about the last quarter by the mighty mob at fly park on Saturday!

Still buzzing, did hear that Reynella only trained once a week during preseason? Is that correct?

I've been led to believe that they have one compulsory session a week and then an optional session. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, so would be interested to hear what the situation is. I doubt they only have one session a week as compulsory?!
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby King » Wed May 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Divers wrote:How about the last quarter by the mighty mob at fly park on Saturday!

Diver, was the last qtr wind assisted, just good footy or a combination of both?
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby jet-airport » Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Only 5 games in I know, but the tightest looking SFL ladder for many years barring the bottom 2. Percentages can also be a good indicator and 9 clubs are better than 40 with only Reynella's looking a bit out of place due to their huge Marion win.

Could we see Dingy and Cobras in the top 6 after this weekend?
Hopefully good weather Sunday for a cracking day!!
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby stampy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 pm

rhys mundy back at christies
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times

Postby stampy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 pm

stampy wrote:rhys mundy back at christies

can play
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times

Postby minibusakahalfacoach » Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Shoes - 15 point
Cove - 10 goal
Flaggys - 5 goal
Sharks -22 goal
Emus - 22 point

Harman to kick 15 against the Rams!!!
minibusakahalfacoach
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Afterthesiren » Sat May 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Surely Lonsdale and Marion must be considering a move to the saafl next year where they can be more competitive in a lower division and build some success. For their own survival it is almost a no brainer or they can travel down the lonely road which Hackham chose.
Then there's Happy Valley who would currently be better suited to a league like the HFL that offers two divisions.
I'm not sure about the future of the SFL but I don't think it will contain any more than 8 clubs within the next 3 years.
Getting rid of Div 2 all those years ago has proved to be fatal to a once very strong league.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby minibusakahalfacoach » Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 pm

jet-airport wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Only 5 games in I know, but the tightest looking SFL ladder for many years barring the bottom 2. Percentages can also be a good indicator and 9 clubs are better than 40 with only Reynella's looking a bit out of place due to their huge Marion win.

You got all 3 right Jet-Airport! :lol:
And the Cobras with Marion this week will push higher into the 4!!
minibusakahalfacoach
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby shoe boy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 am

minibusakahalfacoach wrote:
jet-airport wrote:

You got all 3 right Jet-Airport! :lol:
And the Cobras with Marion this week will push higher into the 4!!

And I note C/Beach will surge up the ladder with 2 games in a row :shock: against the lions!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 am

Just had to check the SFL website to see if you were being fair dinkum! How does that work?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL