2011 Assoc Games between SFL GSFL & RMFL - June Long Weekend

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

2011 Assoc Games between SFL GSFL & RMFL - June Long Weekend

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 am

Received Confirmation of this years Association Games from SFL this week.

Venue: South Adelaide (Hickinbotham) Oval

Date: Saturday of June Long Weekend

Time: From 10am for U15s thru to 2nd of the A Grade games starting at 7.30pm under lights

Participants: Southern, Great Southern and River Murray Football Leagues

Format:
U15s - SFL V Combined GSFL/RMFL

U17s - SFL V Combined GSFL/RMFL

A Grade - SFL V RMFL

A Grade - SFL V GSFL
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Re: 2011 Assoc Games between SFL GSFL & RMFL - June Long Weekend

Postby vics01 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 am

It is great to see Association games again, a great chance for guys to play against the best of Community Football.

However 2 A grade teams will mean an initial squad of 60 plus, this is a big hit on the clubs and one would imagine the top 6 will fill most of the spots. How do they pick2 teams and A and B or is is trying to make 2 even teams. 1 team is surely enough.

AFL/SANFL/SFL all play 14/16/18 footy however the association games are 15/17???? :? :?

What is the penalty for players who want the weekend off with family or whatever?? I am sure SFL will wave a big stick.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Waterboy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:05 am

vics01 wrote:It is great to see Association games again, a great chance for guys to play against the best of Community Football.

However 2 A grade teams will mean an initial squad of 60 plus, this is a big hit on the clubs and one would imagine the top 6 will fill most of the spots. How do they pick2 teams and A and B or is is trying to make 2 even teams. 1 team is surely enough.

AFL/SANFL/SFL all play 14/16/18 footy however the association games are 15/17???? :? :?

What is the penalty for players who want the weekend off with family or whatever?? I am sure SFL will wave a big stick.

Given that River Murray normally play Great Southern only having 1 team would presumably either mean that one of RM or GS doesn't get an association game, or 1 SFL team is going to play 2 games in a row.
Waterboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Archer11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Isn't it about time that the association finally go back to a format had worked for over 50 years and that is to have the GSFL, RMFL, HFL and SFL associations play off over the one weekend. It is about time the Hills get their heads out of the clouds and stop thinking that they have the best comp going around.
For the SFL to fill two teams in this years format is absolutely ridiculous. Who would be the coaches for the two teams to start with??
Archer11

Been liked: 0 time

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Archer11 wrote:For the SFL to fill two teams in this years format is absolutely ridiculous. Who would be the coaches for the two teams to start with??

Apparently the 2 A Grade Teams will be selected evenly, with Team V RMFL Coached by Trevor Mitton, and Team V GSFL Coached by David Earl
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Bag The Points » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 am

What a joke !! --- two evenly-selected teams for an Inter-Association Carnival x_x
Someone bring back the old days, PLEASE !!!!!!!!
The world has truly gone mad
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Grape Ape » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Have to agree. When I read "2011 Assoc Games between SFL and GSFL..." I got a little excited. On reading further my heart sank. How does two half strength SFL teams celebrate the SFL? And why would any player want to participate? If you're from the RMFL or GSFL and you win it's shallow 'cos the SFL side was only half strength. And if you're from the SFL you can't even say you were in your leagues best side! If they need three leagues involved whats wrong with a NAB Cup style lightning carnival? I forsee a lot of 1 week injuries and pre booked holidays for the June long weekend. Come on!! Get serious about association footy or forget about it!!!!!
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby asert » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:45 pm

They select the side on big names not talent or form anyway so we are never full strength. Should be a way to reward those players who have played well for the first part of the season not what they have done for the last 5 to 10 years of their career.
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby Bag The Points » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 am

If they had to have a fourth side surely an "Invitation side" formed from the leftovers of all three Leagues (as done in cricket's "Meyer Shield") would be better than two HALF-STRENGTH sides from the same League.
At least that would have halved the resultant problems.
Best of luck fielding them, SFL
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby Axle Rose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

I can see this getting very ugly. I will put my house on quite a few players not wanting to play for various reasons. The rumour i am hearing is that the league will suspend any player without a decent excuse. Cant wait to watch this one unfold!
Also, i wonder what the RMFL and GSFL think of combining their juniors for the underage games? Junior association footy is so much more important than senior, but half of their kids wont get the opportunity to present themselves on the big stage because they are combined. In my opinion, they have got it the wrong way around by putting senior ahead of junior. Leave the weekend free for the seniors, play junior association footy.
Axle Rose
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Waterboy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Axle Rose wrote:I can see this getting very ugly. I will put my house on quite a few players not wanting to play for various reasons. The rumour i am hearing is that the league will suspend any player without a decent excuse. Cant wait to watch this one unfold!
Also, i wonder what the RMFL and GSFL think of combining their juniors for the underage games? Junior association footy is so much more important than senior, but half of their kids wont get the opportunity to present themselves on the big stage because they are combined. In my opinion, they have got it the wrong way around by putting senior ahead of junior. Leave the weekend free for the seniors, play junior association footy.

Apparently RMFL and GSFL juniors will play their inter-association games a couple of weeks beforehand and the 2 combined sided will be picked from that to play against the SFL.
Waterboy
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Micky Conlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:46 am

Southern 2 sides ??? how good do they think they are??? even there best side wouldnt match it against the GSFL,must be a few sore necks down there with all the heads up there arses.
"lifes a game of inches, inch by inch, play by play"
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby Leo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Micky Conlan wrote:Southern 2 sides ??? how good do they think they are??? even there best side wouldnt match it against the GSFL,must be a few sore necks down there with all the heads up there arses.

We all agree with you there micky. It's supposed to be a celebration year for the SFL, but it's gonna end up embarrasing.
Leo
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Archer11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Leo wrote:
Micky Conlan wrote:Southern 2 sides ??? how good do they think they are??? even there best side wouldnt match it against the GSFL,must be a few sore necks down there with all the heads up there arses.

We all agree with you there micky. It's supposed to be a celebration year for the SFL, but it's gonna end up embarrasing.

I reckon it makes a complete mockery of the whole association game format. The players of the past that loved to play in these games will feel ripped off.
Archer11

Postby Spangy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:36 pm

asert wrote:They select the side on big names not talent or form anyway so we are never full strength. Should be a way to reward those players who have played well for the first part of the season not what they have done for the last 5 to 10 years of their career.

I agree with you asert, the sfl thinks you can only play in association games if you have had SANFL experience. The fact is a lot of boys you haven't played at any SANFL lever are in fact better than the boys who have... Lets see what happens this year!....
Spangy

Grassroots Team: Ramblers

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 am

Couldn't match it against an U/23 SAAFL side your right got beat a few times and headed back over the hill with their tails between their legs and sore necks now from kissing their own arses in their natural beauty
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby asert » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 am

What position did you play fourth estate.
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Lova » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:39 am

Although I agree There shouldnt be 2 sides. I'm not sure if your own neck is a bit sore there micky,
there are a few blokes running around that would make up the GSFL association that have come from the SFL.

Of Course we all think the league we are associated with is the best but the only way to know for sure is to have each league have 1 side and all play off against each other. There used to be something like that from memory...... Oh yeh Lovelock shield!!!
Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff...Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
The Lova
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:17 pm

asert wrote:What position did you play fourth estate.

Retired in 2002 after 20 years of playing senior footy was SAAFL director when the SAAFL vs SFL started
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Lova » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:26 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:
asert wrote:What position did you play fourth estate.

Retired in 2002 after 20 years of playing senior footy was SAAFL director when the SAAFL vs SFL started

SO you were involved the first year when we beat you guys then??? :oops: :oops:
Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff...Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
The Lova
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL