How strong is the SFL board

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

How strong is the SFL board

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:55 pm

With a few BIG issues coming up for next year, how do people think the SFL board will go and are they going to be tough enough to make the big calls eg. Div 1 or 2? Edwardstown and there Junior Grades, Brighton and trying to put teams into Metro Sth and still be in the SFL? Any other issues that people know?
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: How strong is the SFL board

Postby MatteeG » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:28 pm

They wont make any big calls. Remember they gave your mob extra points for no reason...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:53 pm

MatteeG wrote:They wont make any big calls. Remember they gave your mob extra points for no reason...

The reason they gave us extra point is we were smart enough to ask for them. Every other club could have done the same thing. If you don't ask the question you won't get the answer.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby asert » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Well said matteeg
asert
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby vics01 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 pm

WHEELS&DEALS
The reason they gave us extra point is we were smart enough to ask for them. Every other club could have done the same thing. If you don't ask the question you won't get the answer.

INTEGRITY???? HONESTY????

Are you going to ask again this year????
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Dazza44 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:07 am

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:
MatteeG wrote:They wont make any big calls. Remember they gave your mob extra points for no reason...

.... also helps to have the $$$$ to pay the extra players you can get with the extra points :)

That is, in my opinion the problem with the points system. You can have as many points as you like, but unless you have big dollars to spend the only players you will get with the points are players noone else really wants. It really puts the clubs with money to spend (or very supportive supporters) a huge advantage, because they can outbid other clubs for the best available talent so they get best value for their points. Then the next highest bidder end up spending way above good value for the second rate talent. Then, the clubs with limited cash end up getting the left-overs.

Bottom line is, there's no value in extra points unless you have lots of bucks to spend.

So, I think the SMART clubs develop their own players .... doesn't cost extra points or big $$$$
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 pm

This may sound a little harsh but it's only my opinion. My club hasn't got as many juniors as others(which is very disapointing) but due to hard work from our committee and sponsors we may have a bit more money than other clubs. When you havn't had under 14's, 16's or 18's for the last few years it makes it hard to turn junior players into senior players. We have busted our butts for the last few years and in 2012 we will have teams in all junior grades, the 14's and 16's may be on a sunday but thats better than not having them at all. Having under 18's next year means we are only 1 to 2 years away from finally getting some of our kids playing senior footy for us. As everyone knows that adds up to better depth and less reliance on new players, which equals less points we need.
I would rather be in other clubs shoes where we had more juniors and less cash to splash around. If the club keeps heading in the right direction hopefully we will have both.
There has to be something better than the points system. I don't know what that would be but no club wants to turn away players that want to come and play for you because you don't have enough points.
As I said only my opinion
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby asert » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Want to play for you or your dollars? Bit of a difference
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby Moe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:41 pm

I can understand everybodies angst towards Morphy Parks and the extra points last season, I honestly can, but knowing Wheels & Deals personally, it is becasuse of him, his wife & a few other really hard working parents that we will have junior kids going up thru the ranks to seniors very soon. This guy has busted his nuts, won a best club person trophy for it, and quite frankly doesn't deserve some of the carp floating on SFL forums.
It is why the club is packed full of u/8's thru to U/18's players & parents on a friday night, yet on a thursday night there are only drunken dills like me there after 8 oçlock.
We are getting ther folks. At least we sre not contemplateing *&%king off to amateur or south metro leagues.

Yes,yes. I know it's a forum and we can write what we like yadayadayda....
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:20 pm

asert wrote:Want to play for you or your dollars? Bit of a difference

Definatly people like that out there, it's all about getting the right people into your club. But as I said you don't want to turn away people from your club, if there asking for too much well then it's easy to say see ya later, go and try the next club if you want that much coin.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby Bunton » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:08 pm

back on topic - how strong are the SFL Board? Let's just say if they had as many brain cells as there have stick pins on their blazers, the league would be in better shape. Can't they see the rest of the football public in the state is laughing at the un-competitiveness of their comp. The relegation system that works in the Amateurs work well, with competitive footy week in week out.
Stop being so stubborn and give common sense a chance.
Bunton
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Bunton wrote:back on topic - how strong are the SFL Board? Let's just say if they had as many brain cells as there have stick pins on their blazers, the league would be in better shape. Can't they see the rest of the football public in the state is laughing at the un-competitiveness of their comp. The relegation system that works in the Amateurs work well, with competitive footy week in week out.

Good call Bunton about getting back on topic, I almost started another thread Moprhy Parks and the points system. :lol: :lol: I Agree there should be 2 divisions but I find it very hard to split into 2. Your top 4 and bottom 4 are pretty clear but the middle section of clubs are pretty even. Then you have the junior grades that get chucked into the debate. An easy answer is Top 8 teams Bottom 7 teams A's, B's and U18's play saturday and all other junior grades play sunday.
I can here people crying already and yes it would go against what the SFL are about, having a full day of football on a saturday. Will it work and make for more competitive games, Probably, but it would upset to many clubs that like the full day of Saturday Footy.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby jjh » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:22 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:This may sound a little harsh but it's only my opinion. My club hasn't got as many juniors as others(which is very disapointing) but due to hard work from our committee and sponsors we may have a bit more money than other clubs. When you havn't had under 14's, 16's or 18's for the last few years it makes it hard to turn junior players into senior players. We have busted our butts for the last few years and in 2012 we will have teams in all junior grades, the 14's and 16's may be on a sunday but thats better than not having them at all. Having under 18's next year means we are only 1 to 2 years away from finally getting some of our kids playing senior footy for us. As everyone knows that adds up to better depth and less reliance on new players, which equals less points we need.
I would rather be in other clubs shoes where we had more juniors and less cash to splash around. If the club keeps heading in the right direction hopefully we will have both.
There has to be something better than the points system. I don't know what that would be but no club wants to turn away players that want to come and play for you because you don't have enough points.
As I said only my opinion

Why dont your Sunday sides play on saturdays
jjh
Mini-League

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Why dont your Sunday sides play on saturdays[/quote]

We have a fair few kids that go to private schools. We would be lucky to field half a team on a saturday.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Postby lion heart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Bunton wrote:back on topic - how strong are the SFL Board? Let's just say if they had as many brain cells as there have stick pins on their blazers, the league would be in better shape. Can't they see the rest of the football public in the state is laughing at the un-competitiveness of their comp. The relegation system that works in the Amateurs work well, with competitive footy week in week out.

The highlighted comment is 100% correct. Working close to the city and having many customer's from outer league's follow the fortunes of my club i get so many negative reactions on our league it is not funny. The common theme is why is the league not changing to 2 divisions and who is running the show down there??? It is so blatantly obvious for ALL to see that it is no longer funny. The SFL board need to restore our league to the force it once was.

From what i am hearing it is very likely a change will be made for the 2013 season - if not teams WILL walk. A few of the bigger clubs are right behind it and will help drive the 2 division concept with the backing of most clubs. Its been a long time coming and still a lot of water to go under the bridge but i can see it finally becoming a reality.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby KEYDEFENDER » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Surley the SANFL and clubs like South Adelaide/Glenelg/West should have somthing to say.
Its their zones that the junior talent comes from. I am sure they would rather a competitive atmosphere to challenge players in the area.
KEYDEFENDER
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby qwerty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:19 pm

2013 is to late, it needs to be done now!
qwerty
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Tubby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:00 pm

lion heart wrote:

The highlighted comment is 100% correct. Working close to the city and having many customer's from outer league's follow the fortunes of my club i get so many negative reactions on our league it is not funny. The common theme is why is the league not changing to 2 divisions and who is running the show down there??? It is so blatantly obvious for ALL to see that it is no longer funny. The SFL board need to restore our league to the force it once was.

From what i am hearing it is very likely a change will be made for the 2013 season - if not teams WILL walk. A few of the bigger clubs are right behind it and will help drive the 2 division concept with the backing of most clubs. Its been a long time coming and still a lot of water to go under the bridge but i can see it finally becoming a reality.

Even Jars & Roo had a few laughs through out the year on the rush hour about some of the scores in the SFL.
Tubby
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby liverpool kiss » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:49 pm

wake up board your precious league is disolving before your eyes....

Step up or step aside...
liverpool kiss

Has liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Archer11 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:58 am

I would have thought that the topic itself was a contradiction anyway!! (HOW STRONG IS THE SFL BOARD??) Time to get back to where we were as an association and start to show how strong we can be.
Archer11

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL