How strong is the SFL board

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: How strong is the SFL board

Postby BFG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:24 am

Roo Ted wrote:
BFG wrote:
story of my life wrote:And the stupid thing is that if you blokes went to 2 divisions and had promotion and relegation, other clubs would be looking at joining, not leaving

great point, i know that i would much rather drive the 30/45 minutes to christies or aldinga or porties than drive an hour out to gawler or angle vale from my place at marion!!

Does that mean CLG would be up to looking at coming across if 2 divisions?

i wouldnt think so RT, i was speaking purely from a selfish players perspective at not wanting to travel to friggen gawler anymore. not saying that it wouldnt happen though just that it probably hasnt been discussed at all.
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby UNCLE SAM » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

BFG wrote:
Roo Ted wrote:
BFG wrote:
story of my life wrote:And the stupid thing is that if you blokes went to 2 divisions and had promotion and relegation, other clubs would be looking at joining, not leaving

great point, i know that i would much rather drive the 30/45 minutes to christies or aldinga or porties than drive an hour out to gawler or angle vale from my place at marion!!

Does that mean CLG would be up to looking at coming across if 2 divisions?

i wouldnt think so RT, i was speaking purely from a selfish players perspective at not wanting to travel to friggen gawler anymore. not saying that it wouldnt happen though just that it probably hasnt been discussed at all.

whats wrong with a trip to Gawler.
The Gawler clubs would smash the clubs in SFL and the BL&G Board is great and handles all issues quickly.How can you run a Board with 12+ Directors.Bloody ridiculous and no wonder things are not rosey in the SFL
UNCLE SAM
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby BFG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:06 am

im talking about when we play trinity OS out there. pretty sure they would be slapped from pillar to post by the top 8 in the SFL as would CLG. nothing wrong with gawler as a town, more so the hour long trip it takes to get out there from my place!

a mate of mine plays in the BL&G league and he has nothing but praise for the competition
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:28 pm

So how many clubs will leave the SFL if the league don't go with Div 1 and 2 next year? Will Brighton be the first to go? Have been told they will be put into A3 if they make the move in 2013.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby moriachi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:So how many clubs will leave the SFL if the league don't go with Div 1 and 2 next year? Will Brighton be the first to go? Have been told they will be put into A3 if they make the move in 2013.

Though that could only be speculation id say it would be about right
moriachi

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby scottroo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:25 pm

think there would be allot of unhappy saafl clubs if brighton came into div 3, theyve had there chance at saafl and chose to leave, imo must return at div 7
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times

Postby Patrol » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:44 pm

scottroo wrote:think there would be allot of unhappy saafl clubs if brighton came into div 3, theyve had there chance at saafl and chose to leave, imo must return at div 7

If brighton were to leave this year(2012 as was intended ) they were told Div 6. But this was quickly replied to as NO we are better than that,(Bigheads) and should be in Div 2 and were willing to pay top Dollar to make it that they were into that Div 2.
If Down the Hill was around he wouldbe able to enlighten us more, with his and Brightons Views
Patrol

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:59 am

I know very little about how serious things got re. Brighton moving into SAAFL. We are one of the main drivers in activating discussion at club and SFL level for 2 Divs in 2013 which shows we are committed to the SFL provided they can accept that 10 years of the current set up has not worked and clubs who field a full deck of teams are actually disadvantaged by not having all teams playing at the same venue every Saturday. We had 2 home games in 2011 where we only had A & B grade games plus some away games where the juniors played at 1 or 2 different venues to where the A & B grade were playing. For home games this costs big money in lost revenue from gate, BBQ and canteen. It is also a nightmare for organising support staff such as trainers, goal umps, boundary umps, water stewards etc. etc. and it is usually the clubs that have the 5 teams that suffer with this situation. So its not just a matter of having too many one sided games but also the shocking programming logistics some weeks created by clubs that can't field all teams. We must be the only footy comp in the nation that functions this way and if the SFL doesn't respond to the need for change then there will be rumours of more clubs looking to jump ship.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby spot on » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I know very little about how serious things got re. Brighton moving into SAAFL. We are one of the main drivers in activating discussion at club and SFL level for 2 Divs in 2013 which shows we are committed to the SFL provided they can accept that 10 years of the current set up has not worked and clubs who field a full deck of teams are actually disadvantaged by not having all teams playing at the same venue every Saturday. We had 2 home games in 2011 where we only had A & B grade games plus some away games where the juniors played at 1 or 2 different venues to where the A & B grade were playing. For home games this costs big money in lost revenue from gate, BBQ and canteen. It is also a nightmare for organising support staff such as trainers, goal umps, boundary umps, water stewards etc. etc. and it is usually the clubs that have the 5 teams that suffer with this situation. So its not just a matter of having too many one sided games but also the shocking programming logistics some weeks created by clubs that can't field all teams. We must be the only footy comp in the nation that functions this way and if the SFL doesn't respond to the need for change then there will be rumours of more clubs looking to jump ship.

Well said Down The Hill, couldn't agree more
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Dazza44 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:01 am

Down the Hill wrote:I know very little about how serious things got re. Brighton moving into SAAFL. We are one of the main drivers in activating discussion at club and SFL level for 2 Divs in 2013 which shows we are committed to the SFL provided they can accept that 10 years of the current set up has not worked and clubs who field a full deck of teams are actually disadvantaged by not having all teams playing at the same venue every Saturday. We had 2 home games in 2011 where we only had A & B grade games plus some away games where the juniors played at 1 or 2 different venues to where the A & B grade were playing. For home games this costs big money in lost revenue from gate, BBQ and canteen. It is also a nightmare for organising support staff such as trainers, goal umps, boundary umps, water stewards etc. etc. and it is usually the clubs that have the 5 teams that suffer with this situation. So its not just a matter of having too many one sided games but also the shocking programming logistics some weeks created by clubs that can't field all teams. We must be the only footy comp in the nation that functions this way and if the SFL doesn't respond to the need for change then there will be rumours of more clubs looking to jump ship.

Excuse my ignorance DTH, but I am obviously missing something here ...
I'm interested in the idea that moving to SAAFL would be somehow better in regard to the problem of having missing timeslots, ie " ... only had A & B grade games .... For home games this costs big money in lost revenue from gate, BBQ and canteen."
As far as I was aware the Amateurs only normally have 2 matches (ie A&B) at home on Sats, and all Juniors are played on Sundays.
If that's the case, the financial dramas you talk about occur every home game, and the B's matches always start with a crowd of approx 2.3 people & a dog or two :)
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby vics01 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:06 am

DAZZA

I think you will find he is also referring to the possibility of having a a good game every week not just half the season as it is at present.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby story of my life » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 am

scottroo wrote:think there would be allot of unhappy saafl clubs if brighton came into div 3, theyve had there chance at saafl and chose to leave, imo must return at div 7

No side in div7 would get within 30 goals of Brighton
story of my life
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Peter Griffen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 am

They'd also win Div 3 comfortably I would think.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby scottroo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:27 pm

i never said they wouldnt smash everyone, but they were once in the saafl and chose to leave, imo they must start all over again in the bottom grade
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times

Postby story of my life » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 pm

scottroo wrote:i never said they wouldnt smash everyone, but they were once in the saafl and chose to leave, imo they must start all over again in the bottom grade

All you are doing then is punishing the teams that are playing at their right level
story of my life
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Dazza44 wrote:a crowd of approx 2.3 people & a dog or two :)

Normal travelling crowd from Brighton
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby barbs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 pm

story of my life wrote:
scottroo wrote:i never said they wouldnt smash everyone, but they were once in the saafl and chose to leave, imo they must start all over again in the bottom grade

All you are doing then is punishing the teams that are playing at their right level

But if they came in at Div 2 or 3 a side that has earned the right to that grade would have to miss out.

When Brighton left they would have been in DIV 3 they would be very lucky to resume in that position.

Saying that I think this has been more about forcing the SFL's hand which could only be a good thing for the league.
barbs
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Roo Ted » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:35 pm

barbs wrote:
story of my life wrote:

But if they came in at Div 2 or 3 a side that has earned the right to that grade would have to miss out.

When Brighton left they would have been in DIV 3 they would be very lucky to resume in that position.

Saying that I think this has been more about forcing the SFL's hand which could only be a good thing for the league.

Heres a thought/suggestion - why don't the SFL & SAAFL get together and put forward some sort of proposal where there are 10 clubs who can field all 5 Saturday teams play in that comp which would be southern based so the SFL can run something then the SFL clubs left over enter into a combined SFL/SAAFL league which would no doubt match standards/abilities of those remaining clubs eg Morphy Park/Marion/OSB/Aldinga/Hackham/CLG/Plympton/Mitchell Pk to throw some names out there. SFL can run their Sunday junior comps and any club join in those or remain in Metro South etc if happy there.
Roo Ted

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Straight Line » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

So what we are all saying is that anything is better than what we got.
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby canyouseewhatisee » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:26 pm

The MSJFL are as weak as the SFL allowing the Edwardstown FC to be in 2 leagues
It should be 1 club 1 league
canyouseewhatisee

Grassroots Team: Kingston