southern comp

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

southern comp

Postby dundee12 » Tue May 29, 2007 4:39 pm

seems the gulf between the top and bottom is becoming way to big now and something needs to be done. have to agree a little if you kick out aldinga, the roos and the hawks your flaggies,lions,saints ect records look a whole lot worse. then they have only 2 or 3 wins a year and stay entrenched down the bottom. how long b4 there players lose interest then and they lose numbers and spectators? not any sides out of the best 4 sides will be there when it counts in sept. you could say that b4 rnd 1. altough some teams have improved no doubt, its still a way to uneven comp.

not sure what the answer is but a div 1/2 sounds good if you can get some more teams involved. but i guess what teams if any would join the SFL?
dundee12
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: southern comp

Postby Bluedemon » Wed May 30, 2007 2:54 pm

dundee12 wrote:seems the gulf between the top and bottom is becoming way to big now and something needs to be done. have to agree a little if you kick out aldinga, the roos and the hawks your flaggies,lions,saints ect records look a whole lot worse. then they have only 2 or 3 wins a year and stay entrenched down the bottom. how long b4 there players lose interest then and they lose numbers and spectators? not any sides out of the best 4 sides will be there when it counts in sept. you could say that b4 rnd 1. altough some teams have improved no doubt, its still a way to uneven comp.

not sure what the answer is but a div 1/2 sounds good if you can get some more teams involved. but i guess what teams if any would join the SFL?

the perfect soultion was that the stupid southern league should never have gone to a one division comp, it should have stayed as 2 division. look at the score on the weekend from the cove/southern hawks game, 50 odd goals to 1, who would wont to play each week and get thrashed like that.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby scottiemc » Wed May 30, 2007 3:28 pm

I think they should split into 2 divisions and have a promotion and relegation of two teams every year like the amateurs so at least the teams in div two still hav sumthin to aim for.

(going on this years form)

DIV 1.
Morphett Vale
Cove
Reynella
Happy Walley
Brighton
Noarlunga
Porties
Marion

DIV 2.
Flagstaff Hill
Christies Beach
Lonsdale
Morphy Park
Aldinga
Hawks
scottiemc
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Rooster » Wed May 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Its funny that the SAAFL reaches way down north to Smithfield even Trintity college i think, but only goes as far south as Kenilworth, Flinders Uni in the south.

Would Some southern teams be prepared to join what is probably considered the main metropolitan league in the Amateur League. Just like in the 90's when a lot of northern teams went into the amatuers.

If pride is an issue, getting belted by 40-50 goals would certainly make some clubs think that a better solution is only a little bit further away.
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby scottiemc » Wed May 30, 2007 3:47 pm

The Rooster wrote:Its funny that the SAAFL reaches way down north to Smithfield even Trintity college i think, but only goes as far south as Kenilworth, Flinders Uni in the south.

Would Some southern teams be prepared to join what is probably considered the main metropolitan league in the Amateur League. Just like in the 90's when a lot of northern teams went into the amatuers.

If pride is an issue, getting belted by 40-50 goals would certainly make some clubs think that a better solution is only a little bit further away.

When you think about teams like Marion, Morphettville Park, Brighton aren't that far from clubs like Kenilworth, Mitchell Park etc.
scottiemc
Rookie

Postby THE MOLE » Wed May 30, 2007 3:49 pm

scottiemc wrote:I think they should split into 2 divisions and have a promotion and relegation of two teams every year like the amateurs so at least the teams in div two still hav sumthin to aim for.

DIV 1.
Morphett Vale
Cove
Reynella
Happy Walley
Brighton
Noarlunga
Porties
Marion

DIV 2.
Flagstaff Hill
Christies Beach
Lonsdale
Morphy Park
Aldinga
Hawks

Dont see how this can be going on this years form if teams from the div 2 comp have beaten teams in the div 1 comp
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby scottiemc » Wed May 30, 2007 3:56 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
scottiemc wrote:I think they should split into 2 divisions and have a promotion and relegation of two teams every year like the amateurs so at least the teams in div two still hav sumthin to aim for.

DIV 1.
Morphett Vale
Cove
Reynella
Happy Walley
Brighton
Noarlunga
Porties
Marion

DIV 2.
Flagstaff Hill
Christies Beach
Lonsdale
Morphy Park
Aldinga
Hawks

Dont see how this can be going on this years form if teams from the div 2 comp have beaten teams in the div 1 comp

This years ladder anyway.
scottiemc
Rookie

Postby The Lova » Wed May 30, 2007 3:57 pm

DIV 1.
Morphett Vale
Cove
Reynella
Happy Walley
Brighton
Noarlunga
Porties
Marion

DIV 2.
Flagstaff Hill
Christies Beach
Lonsdale
Morphy Park
Aldinga
Hawks

Even with a two division comp with the above teams.
there is still going to be big margins. so I dont think it fixes the problem.
Morphies/cove/reynella will still smash the noarlunga/marions by 20-30 goals and the flaggies/christies will still smash the hawks by 20-30 goals.
Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff...Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
The Lova
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby The Rooster » Wed May 30, 2007 4:01 pm

And with Brighton not really being to far away either, obviously there would be travelling but they would gladly do that if they might win instead of being on the stinky end of a 40 goal walloping.

Some of those clubs (as has been discussed on other threads) would fit in easily into the top 3 divisions and the standard of the SAAFL would only get better.
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby THE MOLE » Wed May 30, 2007 4:23 pm

The sfl wants a one division comp, just with less teams. This is there main priority. I cant see a 2 div comp happening with the same people running the SFL.
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby Tight_Lines » Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Has the SFL left it to late to make any changes to much of a gap between top and bottom has left clubs struggling. So what has the league got to attract new clubs in to make it stronger? Great Southern? Could make a very good comp yet the travel would be a major concern.
Tight_Lines
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Bluedemon » Thu May 31, 2007 2:21 pm

The Rooster wrote:And with Brighton not really being to far away either, obviously there would be travelling but they would gladly do that if they might win instead of being on the stinky end of a 40 goal walloping.

Some of those clubs (as has been discussed on other threads) would fit in easily into the top 3 divisions and the standard of the SAAFL would only get better.

Brighton have played in the saafl before but went back to the sfl comp, marion and morphett vale i think have wanted to play in the saafl but havent gone through with it just yet.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Numbers » Thu May 31, 2007 2:43 pm

This is my first post - Not sure if I have done it right.

But I have heard that it is the bottom teams in SFL that voted to have 1 Division and they didn't want to go back to Div 2. I think joining SAAFL would mean starting in Div 6, I think and I don't think that either the aldingas/Southern or the Cove/Morphett vales would want to start in that division and have to travel.

Does anyone know where you do actually start when joining SAAFL?
Numbers
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Tight_Lines » Thu May 31, 2007 2:49 pm

Numbers wrote:This is my first post - Not sure if I have done it right.

But I have heard that it is the bottom teams in SFL that voted to have 1 Division and they didn't want to go back to Div 2. I think joining SAAFL would mean starting in Div 6, I think and I don't think that either the aldingas/Southern or the Cove/Morphett vales would want to start in that division and have to travel.

Does anyone know where you do actually start when joining SAAFL?

It Might be Div 7 but even then i have a couple of mates now playing at CLG in div 7 and they say that the standard is still a mid table SFL if not a lil higher when the top teams play dont be fooled by the 7 it is one of the better Divs in amauters. Even if the lesser sides did jump they still could find themselves a foot the ladders and would had acheived nothing.
Tight_Lines
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Numbers » Thu May 31, 2007 2:58 pm

There would be little chance of any of the top sides from SFL joining SAAFL if they had to start in Div 7. The like so Cove, Morphett Vale & Reynella would only join if they started in A2 I imagine. Plus from what I have seen the general feel and surroundings of most Ametuer clubs doesn't compare to SFL or GSFL.
Numbers
Rookie

Postby VC » Thu May 31, 2007 3:13 pm

Numbers wrote:There would be little chance of any of the top sides from SFL joining SAAFL if they had to start in Div 7. The like so Cove, Morphett Vale & Reynella would only join if they started in A2 I imagine. Plus from what I have seen the general feel and surroundings of most Ametuer clubs doesn't compare to SFL or GSFL.

i dont think anyones talking bout the top sides moving over, just the struggling sides...
VC
Under 16s

Postby Blue Boy » Thu May 31, 2007 3:36 pm

This comes up all the time since the decision to be one again.

The Southern Footy League is a great competition and each club has its own important history with in it but like the SAFA it may be time to re think what they are doing. The population in the southern areas are expanding at huge rates every day - even exploding. It is even easier now to get further south these day with the southern express way.

My feelings are that 2 divisions didnt work any way and the one division has a huge gap - so something needs to happen but only with senior comp. The junior comp is thriving and it is probably up there with the best as far as what I have seen.

If they were to go to the ammos / hills and great southern leagues this is were I think all clubs could end up and be more than competitive.

The Ammos would have to start another Div @ least

Cove and Morphett Vale could start in Div 2 ammos @ best
Brighton / Reynella / Happy Valley / Port Noarlunga could start in Div 3 ammos @ best
Marion / Lonsdale in Div 5 @ best
Christies Beach / Morphetville Park in Div 6 @ best
Southern Hawks in Div 7 @ best

Aldinga would have to seriously think about the Great Southern League just for travel and im pretty sure they have been in that comp before.

Noarlunga could probably go to any comp really Great Southern / Hills or Ammos - with the Ammos they are on the end of the southern express way so could go in to the Div 5 bracket.

Flagstaff Hill well either Hills or Ammos for them. Even though Happy Valley are the bushpigs truest rivals - Kangarilla over the last 10 years have been the closest rival with the whole Div 2 / Div 1 thing and they are playin in the hills league.

I will also add Blackwood to the whole debate as well because they definately dont want to join the Southern Footy league but may end up in the ammos if things were to change and they were not happy with where they are.

End of rant !!!
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Backliner » Thu May 31, 2007 6:38 pm

Blue Boy wrote:Aldinga would have to seriously think about the Great Southern League just for travel and im pretty sure they have been in that comp before.

Apparently GSFL president is from Willunga, heard he doesn't think much of Aldinga. GSFL would be ideal from our point of view.
Amatuers too far travel, eg Smithfield vs Aldinga?? (although doesn't bother me, just other junior's parents etc)
It also requires a majority vote at a club meeting with a minimum amount of members present, not easy to do, and an invite from a league, which if we improve our on field results may occur, who know's?

Or we could all harden up and try to improve :)
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu May 31, 2007 6:49 pm

Backliner wrote:
Blue Boy wrote:Aldinga would have to seriously think about the Great Southern League just for travel and im pretty sure they have been in that comp before.

Apparently GSFL president is from Willunga, heard he doesn't think much of Aldinga. GSFL would be ideal from our point of view.
Amatuers too far travel, eg Smithfield vs Aldinga?? (although doesn't bother me, just other junior's parents etc)
It also requires a majority vote at a club meeting with a minimum amount of members present, not easy to do, and an invite from a league, which if we improve our on field results may occur, who know's?

Or we could all harden up and try to improve :)

There's no doubt you are on the improve its just a matter of how patient you are Aldinga will finish higher than most would have expected this year.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Pag » Thu May 31, 2007 11:34 pm

Blue Boy wrote:The Ammos would have to start another Div @ least

Cove and Morphett Vale could start in Div 2 ammos @ best
Brighton / Reynella / Happy Valley / Port Noarlunga could start in Div 3 ammos @ best
Marion / Lonsdale in Div 5 @ best
Christies Beach / Morphetville Park in Div 6 @ best
Southern Hawks in Div 7 @ best

This will never happen. If you were to stick teams in different divisions above Div 7 the league will have to tell teams that have earnt a promotion in each division that they can't go up because they've stuck a team with a higher reputation in it's place. The Amatuer League wouldn't do that, and fair enough too.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL