5 albums that changed your life.....

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: 5 albums that changed your life.....

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Marvin Gaye - The Master (admittedly a 4CD best of)
Jodeci - Forever My Lady
Inxs - Kick
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby BenchedEagle » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:43 pm

These albums massively influenced me when i was in my teens. Changed the way i viewed the world and generally made me into the complex human i am now :p In Order of time i found it

1: Beatles at the Movies - The Beatles
This record was in my dads collection and not sure if this is the correct name. Had all songs featured in their movies. Was about the time i started to into Dads tin and smoked a bit of the green tobacco in there when i was about 15-16 ;) I randomly chose the song I am The Walrus because of the strange title and it blew my mind. Was instantly hooked and played that record endlessly.

2: Bleach - Nirvana
A mate at school made me a tape of this LP. The sound is pure grunge and had me at that 1st riff of 'Blew'. The songs were short punchy and too the point, I would listen to it over and over again and 'Floyd the Barber' was one of the 1st songs i ever learnt to play on guitar. Still rate it as one of the greatest demo's ever created!

3: Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
The girl i was madly in love with at Craigmore HS got me on to this gem. I think for about a whole term id listen to it all night and have it on repeat through the night. This was the time i got into Triple J and opened my mind to alternative music, which was during a great period, unlike the crap now. There is not one track i dislike on the LP. All time faves are 'Thru the eyes of Ruby' 'Here is no why' 'Muzzle' and 'Tales of a scorched Earth' All epic tracks that get the air guitar out.

4: Follow the Leader - Korn
Well this is a band i cannot bear to listen to anymore, So crap they have become. But this CD was huge to me and my mates back in the late 90s. Had so many good tracks and the sound really blew me away. ashamed now but i did fall in love with their image a bit too! lol
Big 7 string guitars, awesome drummer, gangsta rapper type Bass player and a very likeable singer at the time. I mock NuMetal but at the time i was into it and not ashamed to admit this CD was a massive influence on my teenage years. Toss up between this and Life is Peachy. Fave tracks 'Dead Bodies Everywhere' 'Children of the Corn' w Ice Cube, 'Got The Life' and 'Justin' ( still think the main riff is one of the greatest of all time.)

5: Around The Fur - Deftones
I had never really heard much of nor listened to any Deftones before I saw them at Vans Warped 99 at Flinders Uni on a 60o moshpit!
But they blew me away with their aggression and what seemed like the perfect type of music for my mindset at the time. Alternative Metal. I had been into Korn and Limp Bizkits early stuff at the time, but this was more to my taste. Went and brought the 2 records thaey had released at the time. Adrenaline and this LP. Have never stopped listening to them both since. Fave tracks 'Headup' w/ Max Cavalera, Dai the Flu, My Own Summer and Ricketts
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 51 times

Postby Turbo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Nirvana - Nevermind
Soundgarden - Superunknown
The Who - Who's Next
Green Day - American Idiot
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby CK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:There was a complete hullabaloo wasn't there?
Funny.
Was about that point I stopped listening to INXS' new stuff.

INXS has repeatedly denied the "Live Baby Live" story, saying that the only part of it that was altered was part of a riff that didn't come out clearly on the original recording. Only they know the truth, I suppose, but they have always been quite adamant about this one.

DW, I see what you are saying to a degree, but IMHO, there was still some really good stuff in the later albums. "Welcome To Wherever You Are" has some really good, raw stuff in it ("Heaven Sent" still gets cranked* up very loud in the car whenever I put their Best Of on, and "Beautiful Girl" is a deceptive gem of a song). Still annoys me, to a degree, that "Full Moon, Dirty Hearts" doesn't get the plaudits it deserves also. Some of their rawer material on there, and if you liked their early material, well worth seeking out a copy of this album.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Jase » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Trying to regain some credibility after "Embarrassing Artists/Bands you like" thread...

1. Nevermid - Nirvana: True genius for mine, every song was like something I'd never heard before, that's not to say that there weren't bands doing this before (the Pixies, etc) but this opened up a whole new world to me...

2. Pearl Jam - Ten: every single song is a classic, again after the initial introduction from Nirvana, Ten just cemented me in the world of guitar bands and navel gazing...

3. Blur - Parklife: UK Indie/Britpop at it's glorious best...

4. Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory): This album was thrashed by myself and all my mates...and will always hold a special place for me after the death of one of these mates in a car accident...

5. Jeff Buckley - Grace: Just plain beautiful...

It was so hard to reduce the list down to only 5 but honourable mentions would have to go to...

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Smashing Pumpkins - Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness and Siamese Dream
Faith No More - Angel Dust and King for a Day
etc
etc
etc...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1527 times
Been liked: 573 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Quichey wrote:Punk O Rama Vol.2 : $5 at Verandah Music. Thrashed the **** out of it and I couldn't believe I got so many quality songs all for the low, low price of five bucks. Was the trigger for me to seek out the entire back catalogue of all punk music ever made (ha!) and therefore seminal to my being!

Gold selection on that one. Thought "Code Blue" was the most offensive song I could play at that stage :)

Those Punk O Rama albums were pretty good. Have a few myself. I used to trash a Fat Wreck Chords compile I purchased that was similar in theme to those Punk O Rama albums.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
MatteeG wrote:
Quichey wrote:Punk O Rama Vol.2 : $5 at Verandah Music. Thrashed the **** out of it and I couldn't believe I got so many quality songs all for the low, low price of five bucks. Was the trigger for me to seek out the entire back catalogue of all punk music ever made (ha!) and therefore seminal to my being!

Gold selection on that one. Thought "Code Blue" was the most offensive song I could play at that stage :)

Those Punk O Rama albums were pretty good. Have a few myself. I used to trash a Fat Wreck Chords compile I purchased that was similar in theme to those Punk O Rama albums.

Physical Fatness?

I gave Vol.3 a fair workout and is one of my fave compilations.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Music