Triple M's 100 Greatest Albums of All Time

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Triple M's 100 Greatest Albums of All Time

Postby Pidge » Wed May 26, 2010 12:50 am

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:We were discussing this at work as it was going...when Smells Like Teen Spirit came on we couldnt wait to hear some awesome music that was supposed to be better....when Sex on Fire came on i nearly smashed the radio because that is one of the most ****, annoying songs ever...who voted for that ****...

Definitely the worst song of all time.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Interceptor wrote:Far worse is Pink at #8 :shock:

WTF??

:shock: WTF!! You have to be joking
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10435 times
Been liked: 1545 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby fisho mcspaz » Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 pm

I've got about 30 of those albums... love my 'cock rock' as the other half so kindly phrases it. :lol: This list actually restored my faith in Triple M listeners to some extent - I didn't think they liked anything but Jimmy Barnes, Queen and The Police. I was stoked that 'Smash' was in there, The Offspring were my favourite band before they turned to s*** and started making idiot music. ('Americana' would make a good frisbee.)

Not happy that Pink came in at #8 - I'm SO SICK OF HER! All her songs are either about her being violent, someone else being violent, or relationship breakups that may or may not (but usually they do) involve violence. I wonder if any of her previous partners have their testicles still intact.

But Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' at #22 - great stuff. And you can't go past Acca Dacca for #1. All in all I was pretty satisfied with this list, especially considering it comes from the same people who consistently vote in 'Khe Sanh' as the best song ever, year after year.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 26, 2010 10:59 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Not happy that Pink came in at #8 - I'm SO SICK OF HER! All her songs are either about her being violent, someone else being violent, or relationship breakups that may or may not (but usually they do) involve violence. I wonder if any of her previous partners have their testicles still intact.

I wonder if any of her previous partners had testicles in the first place...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1569 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Interceptor » Wed May 26, 2010 11:09 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Interceptor wrote:Far worse is Pink at #8 :shock:

WTF??

:shock: WTF!! You have to be joking

I'm sure it's not without some merit, but seriously #8? Of all time?
It's a "flavour of the month" type of nomination -it happens in these type of polls.
See where it is in 5-10 years.
Last edited by Interceptor on Wed May 26, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Interceptor » Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Pidge wrote:
hackham_hawk_3 wrote:We were discussing this at work as it was going...when Smells Like Teen Spirit came on we couldnt wait to hear some awesome music that was supposed to be better....when Sex on Fire came on i nearly smashed the radio because that is one of the most ****, annoying songs ever...who voted for that ****...

Not even close -rather listen to that than the overrated Smells Like Teen Spirit :twisted:
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby southee » Wed May 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Interceptor wrote:
Pidge wrote:

Not even close -rather listen to that than the overrated Smells Like Teen Spirit :twisted:

Would not say overated...at the time SLTS was released it was a revelation. I was 17 or 18 years old and it spoke to that generation alot.

Has been killed by commercial radio but when it was released it did give a whole new movement and word called "grunge".

My biggest sadness about "grunge" is it killed off the hard rock/glam/hair/metal era of the decadent 80's!!! :( Music from then took itself very seriously from then...... :?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby CK » Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:I've got about 30 of those albums... love my 'cock rock' as the other half so kindly phrases it. :lol: This list actually restored my faith in Triple M listeners to some extent - I didn't think they liked anything but Jimmy Barnes, Queen and The Police. I was stoked that 'Smash' was in there, The Offspring were my favourite band before they turned to s*** and started making idiot music. ('Americana' would make a good frisbee.)

Not happy that Pink came in at #8 - I'm SO SICK OF HER! All her songs are either about her being violent, someone else being violent, or relationship breakups that may or may not (but usually they do) involve violence. I wonder if any of her previous partners have their testicles still intact.

But Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' at #22 - great stuff. And you can't go past Acca Dacca for #1. All in all I was pretty satisfied with this list, especially considering it comes from the same people who consistently vote in 'Khe Sanh' as the best song ever, year after year.

Frisbees at 20 paces Fisho ;) . I reckon Americana is one of their best albums actually. While its very commercial, reckon it epitomises their style among the best of all their discs.

Agreed on Hysteria. I must have nearly worn out my vinyl copy of that when I first got it waaaaay back in 1987. An album that was among a few that influenced my music tastes forever more.

Will agree to disagree on Pink, although I do see what you are saying about her. I love most of her music :oops: and her stage show is one of the most spectacular I've ever seen. The first and only time I've been to see an artist twice on the same tour ("Funhouse" last year)
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 am

I do rate Pink as an artist - I think she's a fantastic performer, really puts the lip-syncers to shame! It's more the fact that commercial radio has played her to death that annoys me. If I didn't hear the same handful of songs ten times a day, I'd probably want to listen to her a bit more. :)
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby CK » Thu May 27, 2010 9:03 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:I do rate Pink as an artist - I think she's a fantastic performer, really puts the lip-syncers to shame! It's more the fact that commercial radio has played her to death that annoys me. If I didn't hear the same handful of songs ten times a day, I'd probably want to listen to her a bit more. :)

Fair call there. The average new fan of hers could be forgiven for thinking her debut album was "Funhouse", judging by radio. Lots of her earlier stuff hardly ever gets played anymore, unfortunately (Get The Party Started, Trouble, Feel Good Time, even stuff like Stupid Girls doesn't get much of a run anymore.)

On a slightly related note, good to see three Pink Floyd albums in there, although why "The Wall" keeps getting high in these lists befuddles me a bit. While I have it in the collection, IMHO its one of their weaker albums. "Animals" or "Momentary Lapse of Reason" are far better IMHO.
CK
Veteran

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu May 27, 2010 9:07 am

I'm with you CK. Funhouse is a great album. In fact it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

;)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 27, 2010 11:51 am

In my life Ive purchased 5 of those albums but I have purchased another 10 from artists mentioned in the list but not he album mentioned.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2065 times
Been liked: 3928 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby FattyLumpkin » Sun May 30, 2010 12:27 pm

14 of the 100 I have owned at some stage - many way back last century.

My greatest suprise is that MMM's play list runs to 100 artists!
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 am

CK wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:I've got about 30 of those albums... love my 'cock rock' as the other half so kindly phrases it. :lol: This list actually restored my faith in Triple M listeners to some extent - I didn't think they liked anything but Jimmy Barnes, Queen and The Police. I was stoked that 'Smash' was in there, The Offspring were my favourite band before they turned to s*** and started making idiot music. ('Americana' would make a good frisbee.)

Frisbees at 20 paces Fisho ;) . I reckon Americana is one of their best albums actually. While its very commercial, reckon it epitomises their style among the best of all their discs.

Agreed on Hysteria. I must have nearly worn out my vinyl copy of that when I first got it waaaaay back in 1987. An album that was among a few that influenced my music tastes forever more.

Will agree to disagree on Pink, although I do see what you are saying about her. I love most of her music :oops: and her stage show is one of the most spectacular I've ever seen. The first and only time I've been to see an artist twice on the same tour ("Funhouse" last year)

Americana was good.
I went back and listened to all their albums recently and it is a great album.
Obviously, it's no Smash, but still good.
I'm a big Jennifer Lost the War fan though.....Great song! :D
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:59 am

FattyLumpkin wrote:14 of the 100 I have owned at some stage - many way back last century.
My greatest suprise is that MMM's play list runs to 100 artists!

You old bastard. ;)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Interceptor wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:I own five :lol: In what alternative universe is Get Born by Jet the #20 album?? :shock:

Far worse is Pink at #8 :shock:

WTF??

Obviously these things are subjective but FUNHOUSE IS FARGEN 5HIT OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. What an absolute PILE OF STEAMING HORSE5HIT. How can Pink get a gig when the guy she ripped off Billy Idol is completly ignored? Mrs REB has it in the car and I turn that 5hit right off whenever she tries to play it LOL.

Joke of a countdown.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1707 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Postby zipzap » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 pm

38 of these. Mostly dating back to my bogan high school years.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby CK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:22 am

I'm a little horrifed at my 68 now. No-one else is even close to that. :oops: :oops:

Not sure what this says about my music tastes now, although a lot of them are in vinyl.

Actually, this might be making it worse.
CK
Veteran

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am

CK wrote:I'm a little horrifed at my 68 now. No-one else is even close to that. :oops: :oops:

You should be equally horrified that no LRB albums made the cut ;)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1569 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby southee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

CK wrote:I'm a little horrifed at my 68 now. No-one else is even close to that. :oops: :oops:

Not sure what this says about my music tastes now, although a lot of them are in vinyl.

Actually, this might be making it worse.

Read page 1 CK.......my total is 65!!! :?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Music