Triple M's 100 Greatest Albums of All Time

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Triple M's 100 Greatest Albums of All Time

Postby CK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:23 pm

southee wrote:
CK wrote:I'm a little horrifed at my 68 now. No-one else is even close to that. :oops: :oops:

Not sure what this says about my music tastes now, although a lot of them are in vinyl.

Actually, this might be making it worse.

Read page 1 CK.......my total is 65!!! :?

Sorry, Southee, I did miss this. I'm not sure if I feel better for me, or bad for you also :D ;) . Glad that I'm not the only one who appreciates good music.

Yes, Psuedo, like LRB :) . How on earth did "Sleeper Catcher" or "Diamantina Cocktail" miss the cut? Could have even made a case for "Time Exposure". Thanks for the reminder, Psuedo, a strongly worded email to Triple M may well be forthcoming now.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Pag » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Nevermind down at 97 is a joke. Totally redefined the music world in 1991. Not sure I could say the same for Funhouse.

Would've liked to have seen REM's Monster and Crowded House's Woodface make an appearance as well.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Turbo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Nirvana Nevermind in the 90's :shock: . Should be a dead cert in the top 10. Good to see Pink Floyd in number 2. This is my fav album ever
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Turbo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:49 pm

CK wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:I do rate Pink as an artist - I think she's a fantastic performer, really puts the lip-syncers to shame! It's more the fact that commercial radio has played her to death that annoys me. If I didn't hear the same handful of songs ten times a day, I'd probably want to listen to her a bit more. :)

Fair call there. The average new fan of hers could be forgiven for thinking her debut album was "Funhouse", judging by radio. Lots of her earlier stuff hardly ever gets played anymore, unfortunately (Get The Party Started, Trouble, Feel Good Time, even stuff like Stupid Girls doesn't get much of a run anymore.)

On a slightly related note, good to see three Pink Floyd albums in there, although why "The Wall" keeps getting high in these lists befuddles me a bit. While I have it in the collection, IMHO its one of their weaker albums. "Animals" or "Momentary Lapse of Reason" are far better IMHO.

Disagree. The Wall is a masterpiece
Turbo
League - Top 5

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Agreed. How anyone can rate Lapse of Reason ahead of The Wall is having a Momentary Lapse of Reason. After 'On the turning away' it goes downhill fast.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1707 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Postby Turbo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Agreed. How anyone can rate Lapse of Reason ahead of The Wall is having a Momentary Lapse of Reason. After 'On the turning away' it goes downhill fast.

regards,

REB

Totally agree REB.
Turbo
League - Top 5

Postby CK » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:35 pm

I should qualify my comments here by saying that "Comfortably Numb" is one of my all time favorite Pink Floyd songs, so I'm not completely dismissing the album at all. I'm just wondering aloud, though, if the "greatness" of the album is almost because we are constantly TOLD what a classic it is - similar to how the song "Stairway To Heaven" is continually hailed as one of the all time classic songs, simply by weight of opinion snowballing over the years. Almost "hyping" it to the status of "greatness"?

While I partially agree with a couple of comments about "Momentary Lapse Of Reason", its still one of my favorite Floyd albums, "Learning To Fly" being among the first songs of theirs I flick to on the MP3.
CK
Veteran

Postby The Jack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 pm

29 in my collection. As with Wedgie, I have other albums by some of the artists, mainly greatest hits compilations.
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:29 am

10 - Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

This is one of the most overrated albums in Rock. The song 'Bat out of Hell' is an absolute classic and this whole album was in fact meant to be a show which eventually evolved into an album. The Meat's vocals of course are sublime but many songs on this album are quite unlistenable.

9 - Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses

Although this album made quite an impact on the hard rock world in the late eighties as most of their competitors donned make up and got the hairspray out the fact that the Gunners get a gig in the top ten ahead of superior hard rock acts Slayer, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica just to name a few is laughable. This album has not aged well in comparison to some of the classic albums released by some of the bands named above.

8 - Funhouse - Pink

What more can you say? It is a well known fact that chicks just don't rock out as well as blokes. If you had to put in a chick anywhere near this level of rating surely it's Suzi Quatro, Patti Smith or Joan Jett. Pink has borrowed Billy Idol's image but just doesn't have the same strength in her vocal prowess or the material. Funhouse starts off poorly and goes downhill after that. This is easily the worst album in the top ten and unfortunately I can say with experience that this album does not improve with repeated listens. Credit to pink for at least singing at her live shows but seriously, if you are going to buy some Pink select one of her earlier albums instead.

7 - A Night At The Opera - Queen

Now this album is a classic. Of course it contain's Queen's signature tune but the real strength of this disc is the sheer variety and ambition of the material. If all you have heard is one of the 'Greatest Hits' albums this one is worth a listen.

6 - East - Cold Chisel

One of my favourite Australian albums. While I'm not a massive Chisel fan I did go and buy this one. My favourite track on this one is Never Before with Moss' excellent vocals. I wish Mossy sang a bit more with Chisel because as the years go by I just can't stand listening to Barnes anymore. Standing on the Outside is a great album opener too.

5 - Led zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

While it has become very trendy to bag Zeppelin on the Internet I have always felt that far too many younger listeners (i.e. guys who are about my age, the 'generation' after Zeppelin's zenith, or the 'Punks' if you like) spent too much time laughing at Zeppelin's demise as they drugged themselves away from reality as the success took hold. From 'The Song Remains the Same' onwards Zeppelin did themselves little credit on many fronts but the first six discs show that Zeppelin is more than just a heavy metal template that stole the odd blues number. Led Zeppelin IV is the disc that perhaps sums up their mastery of many different music types. From straight ahead rock to Blues to folk and country influences it's all there. One of the best albums ever but my personal fave is Physical Graffiti.

4 - Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Ah Fleetwood Mac. Just so dull and overplayed. Frankly I prefer their early works but Landslide is great song. The rest, meh. I'm astounded at the high rating of this album.

3 - Joshua Tree - U2

Hands up all those people who can't listen to Joshua Tree all the way through? The album starts off strongly and I love 'Where the streets have no name' (and Brian Eno wanted to erase it the stupid ****) but the second half of the album is just dire. I'll bet that many of the people who voted for this one can't listen to the whole thing either. Unforgettable Fire, Live at Red Rocks, War and Achtung Baby are all better than this.

2 - Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

What an album. Floyd were years ahead of their time and once they pissed off that waste of space Syd Barret off they started to produce more focussed work that retained much of the brilliance that was only hinted at during the Barrett era. This album is a quality product. If ever you watch the 'Classic Albums' series just have a look at what went into it. Like Zeppelin, floyd were prog rockers who viewed an album as a complete package and it shows on this one. Wish you were here, Animals and the Wall all followed in one of the best set of four albums ever put together.

1 - Back In Black - AC/DC

I like hard rock, I like Heavy metal, and I've seen AC/DC live. However, Hells Bells aside, after a few listens this shit is pretty boring. How anyone can rate this album as 'the best of all time' is beyond me. I reckon the best Johnson era track isn't even on this one and that's 'For those about to rock'. AC/DC have been the most successful Aussie act ever but they are creatively stifled, locked into that signature soung. If you do like Akker dakker, Highway to Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap are superior offerings. A good, but not a great album.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1707 times
Been liked: 1824 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am

I'm proud to say I don't have one of those top ten albums in my collection.

Regards

Leaping "Sid" Lindner ;)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby CK » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:41 am

Rik E Boy wrote:10 - Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

This is one of the most overrated albums in Rock. The song 'Bat out of Hell' is an absolute classic and this whole album was in fact meant to be a show which eventually evolved into an album. The Meat's vocals of course are sublime but many songs on this album are quite unlistenable.

Agreed. An album that grows with time. I can listen to a song at a time, but any more than that and I start looking for something, anything, to break it up.

9 - Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses

Although this album made quite an impact on the hard rock world in the late eighties as most of their competitors donned make up and got the hairspray out the fact that the Gunners get a gig in the top ten ahead of superior hard rock acts Slayer, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica just to name a few is laughable. This album has not aged well in comparison to some of the classic albums released by some of the bands named above.

Not so sure about this, but I'm probably a bit blinded as it was one of the major albums of my music discovery times of being 15 or so. I still find Welcome To The Jungle and Paradise City well worth cranking up loud. The version of the Gunners that Axl peddles now is nonsense without Slash et al.

8 - Funhouse - Pink

What more can you say? It is a well known fact that chicks just don't rock out as well as blokes. If you had to put in a chick anywhere near this level of rating surely it's Suzi Quatro, Patti Smith or Joan Jett. Pink has borrowed Billy Idol's image but just doesn't have the same strength in her vocal prowess or the material. Funhouse starts off poorly and goes downhill after that. This is easily the worst album in the top ten and unfortunately I can say with experience that this album does not improve with repeated listens. Credit to pink for at least singing at her live shows but seriously, if you are going to buy some Pink select one of her earlier albums instead.

Can't agree on this. I have always been a Pink fan and find this one grows still further. The big downside, unfortunately, is it appears the only Pink album Triple M owns.

7 - A Night At The Opera - Queen

Now this album is a classic. Of course it contain's Queen's signature tune but the real strength of this disc is the sheer variety and ambition of the material. If all you have heard is one of the 'Greatest Hits' albums this one is worth a listen.

No dispute there, simply outstanding

6 - East - Cold Chisel

One of my favourite Australian albums. While I'm not a massive Chisel fan I did go and buy this one. My favourite track on this one is Never Before with Moss' excellent vocals. I wish Mossy sang a bit more with Chisel because as the years go by I just can't stand listening to Barnes anymore. Standing on the Outside is a great album opener too.

I wish Mossy sang more too along the way. Having been to a Chisel concert on their 1998 reformation, there are few things better than the chords to "Bow River" starting and his vocals kicking. A voice I could listen to all day. Jimmy Barnes just hollers a lot of the time now. I find Standing On The Outside just annoys me now, sadly, but again, that is thanks to a particular station that plays it all day, every day.

5 - Led zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

While it has become very trendy to bag Zeppelin on the Internet I have always felt that far too many younger listeners (i.e. guys who are about my age, the 'generation' after Zeppelin's zenith, or the 'Punks' if you like) spent too much time laughing at Zeppelin's demise as they drugged themselves away from reality as the success took hold. From 'The Song Remains the Same' onwards Zeppelin did themselves little credit on many fronts but the first six discs show that Zeppelin is more than just a heavy metal template that stole the odd blues number. Led Zeppelin IV is the disc that perhaps sums up their mastery of many different music types. From straight ahead rock to Blues to folk and country influences it's all there. One of the best albums ever but my personal fave is Physical Graffiti.

I have a lot of Led Zeppelin in my collection but apart from the odd listen, don't bring them out as much as I used to.

4 - Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Ah Fleetwood Mac. Just so dull and overplayed. Frankly I prefer their early works but Landslide is great song. The rest, meh. I'm astounded at the high rating of this album.

Tango In The Night doesn't get the plaudits it deserves, in the shadow of "Rumours", which seems odd for being one of their last studio albums (I ignore discs like "The Time" with that). Rumours itself still gets a lot of airplay in my house, particularly "Dreams"

3 - Joshua Tree - U2

Hands up all those people who can't listen to Joshua Tree all the way through? The album starts off strongly and I love 'Where the streets have no name' (and Brian Eno wanted to erase it the stupid ****) but the second half of the album is just dire. I'll bet that many of the people who voted for this one can't listen to the whole thing either. Unforgettable Fire, Live at Red Rocks, War and Achtung Baby are all better than this.

Hands up here, for an album that was one of the most influential for me growing up. I absollutely loved it when it first came out and for about 4 years after, and then, yes, Achtung Baby arrived and that changed my view of U2 forever - for the better. Brian Eno once said that "Where The Streets Have No Name" was THE hardest production he ever had. He spent days with the band on this one, having to stand in front of a blackboard with a stick, tapping the notes out one by one for them as they just could NOT nail that intro.

2 - Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

What an album. Floyd were years ahead of their time and once they pissed off that waste of space Syd Barret off they started to produce more focussed work that retained much of the brilliance that was only hinted at during the Barrett era. This album is a quality product. If ever you watch the 'Classic Albums' series just have a look at what went into it. Like Zeppelin, floyd were prog rockers who viewed an album as a complete package and it shows on this one. Wish you were here, Animals and the Wall all followed in one of the best set of four albums ever put together.

No arguments here. Sublime music. If there is anyone out there who hasn't heard it, for heavens sake, get a copy. That "Classic Albums" doco is brilliant, have seen it before
1 - Back In Black - AC/DC

I like hard rock, I like Heavy metal, and I've seen AC/DC live. However, Hells Bells aside, after a few listens this **** is pretty boring. How anyone can rate this album as 'the best of all time' is beyond me. I reckon the best Johnson era track isn't even on this one and that's 'For those about to rock'. AC/DC have been the most successful Aussie act ever but they are creatively stifled, locked into that signature soung. If you do like Akker dakker, Highway to Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap are superior offerings. A good, but not a great album.

In partial agreement on this one. Back In Black is inevitably held up as their finest work but it does have some flat spots. The Razors Edge, for a latter era album isn't too bad, but yes, there are much better AC/DC albums. Having said that, it still does have some fantastic songs.

regards,

REB
CK
Veteran

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Music