Your worst concert

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Your worst concert

Postby CK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 am

What is the worst concert you have paid to see? Bad sound, poor lighting, an artist well off their game, rotten venue, or more?

Mine was a fairly obscure act - Ross Hannaford & Friends. He was an original member of Daddy Cool, and came to Adelaide in around 1998 for a Fringe show at the Gov. This was in the old setting of the Gov, quite different to how it is now set up.

Should have noted alarm bells when we arrived and there were no more than 20 people there, including a table at the front of 8 or so that were clearly family and friends, judging by the banter. It was a little hard to see anything, as the lighting was roughly that of a pocket torch. Hannaford shambled on stage, looking rather like he had slept in the suit he was wearing, and produced a bottle of red on the table on stage, sitting down with his musical companion - whose name will always escape me.

By the time the third bottle of red had been opened, and a song about "she don't like me, she don't like you, she just likes to wee and she just likes to poo" was in full swing, and the table in front was giggling along with it, we decided it was time to go. As we go to leave, the door attendant made his way toward us. To this day, I still don't know why, apart from friendship, Ross Wilson was on the door, but he was. That was probably the highlight of the night. He asked if we were leaving, and my mate, not normally quick on his feet, said we were going out for a smoke, so Wilson doubtfully stood aside to let us leave. Fortunately, a taxi soon arrived to take us back into town to find any sort of musical act to take away that memory.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Your worst concert

Postby southee » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Can't go past Bob Dylan this year .... Never seen many walk outs in my
Life !!! Songs unrecognizable and zero banter with audience .... No video screens ...just s terrible show!!!

Lenny kravitz in about 1995 was another stinker ad he played about 6 songs and was totally drugged up to the eye balls and had a roadie to hold him up . The 25 minute guitar solo was enough for me. He even stopped songs half was through and started to laugh and banter ... Very unprofessional !!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:32 am

southee wrote:Can't go past Bob Dylan this year .... Never seen many walk outs in my
Life !!! Songs unrecognizable and zero banter with audience .... No video screens ...just s terrible show!!!

Bingo, horrifying, lasted 5 songs.
The excuse from the hard core (read, fools who spent $$$ for the front rows) ''he's an artist not an entertainer''.
F*ck that, a big screen & a couple of decent back up singers would have made it at least bearable.

Laughing Clowns in about 83 or so, 5 ''artists'' playing their instruments solo at the same time does not music make.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

Beach Boys @ Footy Park, came on stage off their faces, couldn't put a tune together and the booing started during the 1st song (can't remember the year)
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
southee wrote:Can't go past Bob Dylan this year .... Never seen many walk outs in my

Bingo, horrifying, lasted 5 songs.
The excuse from the hard core (read, fools who spent $$$ for the front rows) ''he's an artist not an entertainer''.
F*ck that, a big screen & a couple of decent back up singers would have made it at least bearable.

Laughing Clowns in about 83 or so, 5 ''artists'' playing their instruments solo at the same time does not music make.

Dylan's been like that all of his career, buying a ticket to see him is a lottery, he is either awesome or crap, nothing in between
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 am

My Dad took me to see Dylan in the early 90s, easily the worst concert I've seen by a mile.

Shame as Dad was on a good run after taking me to see 2 of the best concerts I'd seen in Springsteen and Neil Young.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Your worst concert

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:36 am

The Dandy Warhols at the Thebbie.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:42 am

Does being at the GF and witnessing Meatloaf on Saturday count? :lol:

Nah, actually I'll take that back, Dylan was still worst.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wizard of Oz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Rise Against @ Fowlers (outdoors) a few years ago. Got dragged along with a mate as Im not a fan....rubber stamped why.
Wizard of Oz
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby southee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:Does being at the GF and witnessing Meatloaf on Saturday count? :lol:

Nah, actually I'll take that back, Dylan was still worst.

Always like the story a old English work mate told me a few years ago.

He went and saw Dylan in London in the mid 80's.....Dylan came out and played 3 songs. He stopped and turned to the audience "Ahhhh...I got your money so I can f**k off now!!". The audience laughed. Dylan walked off stage.

Audience laughing still.

Lights up!! End of show....... :lol:
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:12 am

1. Neil Hamburger supporting Mr. Bungle @ Adel Uni Cloisters in 2000. Appalling.

2. Blood Sucking Freaks one of a number of bands supporting Silverchair @ Adel Uni Cloisters in '97. Abysmal.

3. The Fauves @ Holdfast Hotel in '99. Right when they turned to shit. They were great the year before at Thebbie supporting Regurgitator & TISM.

4. Silverchair @ Clipsal 500 in '06. For me official confirmation they were done I couldn't wait for their set to finish and they were upstaged by Shihad.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Hefty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 am

Smashing Pumpkins at the Entertainment Centre about 2 years ago.....only Billy Corgan left from original line up. QOTSA were back up and they were better than the "headliner".
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:48 pm

If anyone has been to a show involving Massive Attack.....oh dear. circa 2002-3 I had the "fortune" of scoring some free tickets to their show at the Enter Centre....what a steaming pile.

It was in fact, so bad, that some two or three years later when I took the kids to see Coca-Cola Live tour with The Veronicas and Evermore I sat there thinking "At least this isn't as bad as Massive attack".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby southee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Gozu wrote:1. Neil Hamburger supporting Mr. Bungle @ Adel Uni Cloisters in 2000. Appalling.

2. Blood Sucking Freaks one of a number of bands supporting Silverchair @ Adel Uni Cloisters in '97. Abysmal.

3. The Fauves @ Holdfast Hotel in '99. Right when they turned to shit. They were great the year before at Thebbie supporting Regurgitator & TISM.

4. Silverchair @ Clipsal 500 in '06. For me official confirmation they were done I couldn't wait for their set to finish and they were upstaged by Shihad.

I was there for that!!! Absolute garbage!!!! No wonder the band never really made it..... :oops:
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 pm

southee wrote:
Gozu wrote:1. Neil Hamburger supporting Mr. Bungle @ Adel Uni Cloisters in 2000. Appalling.

I was there for that!!! Absolute garbage!!!! No wonder the band never really made it..... :oops:

I was at that show.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby woodwt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm

The Beach Boys at the entertainment centre in 92
woodwt
Reserves

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Gozu wrote: 4. Silverchair @ Clipsal 500 in '06. For me official confirmation they were done I couldn't wait for their set to finish and they were upstaged by Shihad.

Not hard to be upstaged by Shihad. Awesome live act.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 pm

I always thought that being appalling was part of his shtick.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby southee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Gozu wrote: 4. Silverchair @ Clipsal 500 in '06. For me official confirmation they were done I couldn't wait for their set to finish and they were upstaged by Shihad.

Not hard to be upstaged by Shihad. Awesome live act.

Agreed ....very underrated band :(
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:51 am

Quichey wrote:

I always thought that being appalling was part of his shtick.

Yeah I know I just found the Princess Diana jokes to be beyond the pale.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Music