FFA Cup

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: FFA Cup

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:09 pm

HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:Every club can position themselves and market themselves to have money pumped into them. As I said my shit club had a big oppurtunity to get Ambravovich but blew it as usual

So you're agreeing that success in the EPL is determined by if you can lure a rich guy to your club, not by developing players? ;)

Not really Man Utd created all there success on a bunch of home grown talent known as Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Etc etc

West Ham and Southampton are currently performing extremely well on the back of screwd buys

Money plays a part like as in any sport but it's not the deciding factor

I was reading the other day in the last 5 years that Liverpool and Tottenham have spent the most money in England on transfer fees, has really helped them
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Out of interest, what titles have West Ham won since 1964?

European Cup winners cup
Inter toto cup
Multiple championship division titles
FA Cup x3
League Cup
Last edited by whufc on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 pm

whufc wrote:
HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:Every club can position themselves and market themselves to have money pumped into them. As I said my shit club had a big oppurtunity to get Ambravovich but blew it as usual

So you're agreeing that success in the EPL is determined by if you can lure a rich guy to your club, not by developing players? ;)

Not really Man Utd created all there success on a bunch of home grown talent known as Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Etc etc

West Ham and Southampton are currently performing extremely well on the back of screwd buys

I was reading the other day in the last 5 years that Liverpool and Tottenham have spent the most money in England on transfer fees, has really helped them

Well it did put Tottenham up the top almost straight away. They just blew it.

You also conceded that West Ham probably wouldn't win anything in the foreseeable future. Im assuming your attitude would change if you guys got a sugar daddy in though.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Tottenham were always around the 5-8 mark it enabled them to push the top 4 for one season

Getting a sugar daddy wouldn't automatically mean anything, there still would be Man City, Man U, arsenal, Chelsea so we would still only be in a battle with them for positions
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Dont get me wrong I do enjoy a good game of Aussie Rules, I cant stand the path both the AFL and SANFL are heading though.

One aspect of Aussie Rules I like is the intestity and 50/50 nature of a one of final and the finals series before hand.

What I love about the EPL is the intestity and importance of every game in the season. Every week is another chapter in the story of the year, there very rarely is dead rubbers and due to the nature of Soccer there is very rarely 'gimme' games so every week is full of excitement.
whufc
Coach

Postby jakovasaurus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:54 pm

whufc wrote:

European Cup winners cup
Inter toto cup
FA Cup x3
League Cup

We also won the World Cup in '66 [emoji1]
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:15 pm

jakovasaurus wrote:
whufc wrote:

European Cup winners cup
Inter toto cup
FA Cup x3
League Cup

We also won the World Cup in '66 [emoji1]

YES YES YES!!!!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:54 pm

whufc wrote:
legsman wrote:
HH3 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:i guess people find something to whinge about. Good crowd for the final, more exposure for the sport. First year doing it,, obviously there will be some hiccups...

yep lets still bitch.

Drama for the sake of drama...that's what the world is coming to mate. We just have to get used to it.

It's only coming from the usual source though, so predictable ;)

Couldn't make it to the game, wish I had made more of an effort after watching the second half last night looked like a typical cup game and you could feel the atmosphere.
You can see on which game AU's focus was on, last Friday night against Brisbane they were a shadow of what they played in the cup final.

lol this whole thread had only 5 pages of chat for the entire tournament (and the majority of that was about Adelaide city) until the final and now it's the most prestigious trophy in world sport

According to whom? A couple of posters said they're happy Utd. won the Cup, no-one's saying it's the most prestigious trophy in world sport.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Well it did put Tottenham up the top almost straight away
. They just blew it.

You also conceded that West Ham probably wouldn't win anything in the foreseeable future. Im assuming your attitude would change if you guys got a sugar daddy in though.

Tottenham to the top? have you watched an EPL season before? :lol: They have made the top 4 once in the last 10 years
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm

mighty hounds wrote:Tottenham to the top? have you watched an EPL season before? :lol: They have made the top 4 once in the last 10 years

Yeah, the year they spent all that money on players that the bottom and middle range clubs couldnt afford.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Would rather the EPL system than the AFL system. The AFL system is always trying to drag the successful clubs down by way of salary caps and drafts which are a total restraint of trade. Why should a 17yo kid be told that he has to go to Melbourne or another bottom side. Id much rather a league with no cap and no draft
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm

HH3 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:Tottenham to the top? have you watched an EPL season before? :lol: They have made the top 4 once in the last 10 years

Yeah, the year they spent all that money on players that the bottom and middle range clubs couldnt afford.

Well the poor teams need to pull their finger out. Manchester United were broke and playing second division only 30 years ago. They pulled out their finger and started investing more in the junior academies and the rest is history. Man City despite being the wealthiest club on the planet only have a couple of trophies to show for it and are a laughing stock in Europe, money doesnt guarantee success
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Jim05 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Well the poor teams need to pull their finger out. Manchester United were broke and playing second division only 30 years ago. They pulled out their finger and started investing more in the junior academies and the rest is history. Man City despite being the wealthiest club on the planet only have a couple of trophies to show for it and are a laughing stock in Europe, money doesnt guarantee success

Man U did do the hard yards, but you can't say they haven't spent significant coin over the years that lower clubs simply can't afford.

Im not saying they shouldn't do it if its within the rules. Im saying the rules make an uneven comp. This whole discussion started with Whufc saying soccer has even comps, where everyone is given equal opportunities to win, unlike the AFL where the fixture is uneven and skewed.

I agree that the AFL is skewed, but I definitely don't think soccer comps are even.

They are both unequal, but because of different reasons.

Man City are definitely better after they were taken over. Just because they haven't won much, doesn't mean they're in the same boat as the lower teams that have no chance of winning anything.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm

The EPL competition is equal, the rules are equal, the opportunites are equal, the participants differ.

There are inequalities but they do not lie in the competition unlike our AFL where different clubs have different rules and regulations and restrictions and an evening out of the competition.

I love both codes and the uniqueness of their competition
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 pm

If the rules facilitate clubs being able to gain advantages solely on who their owner is and how much money he has, then it is not an equal comp....in my opinion.

....maybe Im just bitter that Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone didnt bankroll QPR to the top of the Premier League like everyone thought they would. ;) :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:58 pm

HH3 wrote:

right, so basically you haven't? :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby JK » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:01 pm

whufc wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Gotta factor in who was sold to generate those monies to buy players .. Bale and Suarez are pretty special, but I wouldn't be surprised if that stretched far enough (for Liverpool) to include Reina, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano etc.

It's not so much about the transfer fee's anyway, the wage is the key. (Thats not to say we haven't made a shitload of rubbish purchases, particularly in the Hodgson era #-o )
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer