FFA Cup

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: FFA Cup

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 am

Every AFL teams goal is to win the premiership, and they all fight towards that goal. Even if the plan is a mulit-year one, thats what they set out to do.

70% of the EPL aim to do "ok". Thats shithouse!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 am

whufc wrote:In all seriousness I dont.

As cliche as it sounds I look to each game as an individual chapter of a book and the buzz of excitement pre match and during the match is what I love, I remember games like West Ham beating Man City at home for years and years to come but couldn't tell you where the hammers finished in 2003.

While the ladder generaly finishes the same the beauty of football is that each game really can go either way especially with the draw being a realistic result

If you were guaranteed the Crows would not win the premiership in the next ten years would you still take your membership and attend/watch games as much as you can. Would it dampen your excitement of the Showdown, or the big Friday night clash vs Collingwood at AO

You also have to remember that it's not just about winning the league, there is excitement in chasing a Europe spot or the up coming relegation battle game etc etc. it's very rare in the EPL that your side is involved in a complete dead rubber, which is unlike Aussie rules where games like dogs vs saints, gws vs Melb etc etc at complete dead rubbers

yeah fair point. i still attend crows games, even when i know they won't win a premiership in that year.

and it is also a good point about europe places and relegation battles - both of those things provide interest in games that would otherwise have very little.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 am

HH3 wrote:Every AFL teams goal is to win the premiership, and they all fight towards that goal. Even if the plan is a mulit-year one, thats what they set out to do.

Do they, I think you will find every year every soccer side aims to win every game it plays which means it's aiming to win the league

Realistically it may not achieve that but every year every club aims to be better than the last year.

There's that internal hope, every new signing could be 'that guy' and every game we could win IF certain things go right

There is also a lot of different goals in English football

In the EPL you have 20 sides who are playing for some form of results whether it's fighting relegation, European spots or winning the league

In the AFL you have 4-6 teams who are playing for absolutely nothing this year other than developing players

If your a Burnley fan you have the interest of a huge relegation battle and the hope of staying in the EPL

If your a saints fan your whole season revolves around watching what kids might be good in 5 years

That is garbage imho
Last edited by whufc on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

FFA Cup

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 am

The difference is I don't think west ham will ever have the resources to win a premiership whereas a similarly placed afl team does (barring an oil tycoon takeover)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:50 am

whufc wrote:
HH3 wrote:Every AFL teams goal is to win the premiership, and they all fight towards that goal. Even if the plan is a mulit-year one, thats what they set out to do.

In the AFL you have 4-6 teams who are playing for absolutely nothing this year other than developing players

If your a Burnley fan you have the interest of a huge relegation battle and the hope of staying in the EPL

If your a saints fan your whole season revolves around watching what kids might be good in 5 years

That is garbage imho

Not really. You can look at recent turnarounds like Port and West Coast who have been at the bottom one year, and in the thick of the 8 the next.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 am

bennymacca wrote:The difference is I don't think west ham will ever have the resources to win a premiership whereas a similarly placed afl team does (barring an oil tycoon takeover)

Really??

West Ham have won more trophies in the last 50 years as Richmond, St Kilda, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs have put together
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 am

That's because they are shit. Not because Collingwood have an order of magnitude more money to spend then them
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:53 am

Btw I think free agency has the potential to seriously undermine the afl in terms of evenness.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 am

HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:

That is garbage imho

Not really. You can look at recent turnarounds like Port and West Coast who have been at the bottom one year, and in the thick of the 8 the next.

And what did they win???

It's no different to west ham sitting 4th this year, except for if we finish 4th we get a pretty massive prize for doing so
Last edited by whufc on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 am

bennymacca wrote:That's because they are shit. Not because Collingwood have an order of magnitude more money to spend then them

You don't think Collingwoods millions they have more in football operations has anything to do with on field results and developing better players, I reckon Collibgwood will tell you otherwise or else they wouldn't spend the money

No suprise that last few golden dynasties Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, West Coast, Essendon, Brisbane have been clubs with really big football operations at the time of there dynasty

Geelong being the exception
Last edited by whufc on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:The difference is I don't think west ham will ever have the resources to win a premiership whereas a similarly placed afl team does (barring an oil tycoon takeover)

Really??

West Ham have won more trophies in the last 50 years as Richmond, St Kilda, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs have put together

This debate is interesting and you've made some good points. However, this comparison isn't quite apples and apples.
Only one team can win an AFL premiership. In English soccer, you can play to win three domestic trophies annually.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:59 am

whufc wrote:
HH3 wrote:
whufc wrote:

That is garbage imho

And what did they win???

It's no different to west ham sitting 4th this year, except for if we finish 4th we get a pretty massive prize for doing so

Look at Tottenham and Man City. Middle range teams at best until they had money pumped into them by rich guys/corporations.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
whufc wrote:

Really??

This debate is interesting and you've made some good points. However, this comparison isn't quite apples and apples.
Only one team can win an AFL premiership. In English soccer, you can play to win three domestic trophies annually.

Agree, which is one reason I think the whole who can win the EPL argument is not a big issue overseas and is mainly an Aussie thing
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Don't see it as a deal breaker, just a drawback
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Furthermore, in those titles won over the past 50 years, how many have been won since the start of the EPL? Because that's a game changer for all clubs.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:04 pm

That is garbage imho

And what did they win???

Look at Tottenham and Man City. Middle range teams at best until they had money pumped into them by rich guys/corporations.

Tottenham are still average hehehe

Every club can position themselves and market themselves to have money pumped into them. As I said my shit club had a big oppurtunity to get Ambravovich but blew it as usual
whufc
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:04 pm

whufc wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
whufc wrote:

Really??

Agree, which is one reason I think the whole who can win the EPL argument is not a big issue overseas and is mainly an Aussie thing

Wouldnt that effect how teams prepare for certain games. Eg, if a middle to bottom team has a PL game on the Sunday against say Man U, and an FA Cup game on the Wednesday against Middleborough, it would be safe to say they would probably be more concerned about conserving themselves for the game they're more likely to win.

Am I right?

If so, it kinda damaging the integrity of the EPL.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:05 pm

whufc wrote:Every club can position themselves and market themselves to have money pumped into them. As I said my shit club had a big oppurtunity to get Ambravovich but blew it as usual

So you're agreeing that success in the EPL is determined by if you can lure a rich guy to your club, not by developing players? ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:06 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Furthermore, in those titles won over the past 50 years, how many have been won since the start of the EPL? Because that's a game changer for all clubs.

The EPL has also coincided with the emergence of Man U who dominated but in fairness to them it has been on the back of great work from people within the club
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:06 pm

Out of interest, what titles have West Ham won since 1964?
Dogwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer